InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Consolation Prize ❯ Touching ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"I had to, I couldn't help it. Look I adore Koga, and Sesshoumaru as much as Inuyasha. Why? Strong men appeal it's one of my quirks. Wouldn't you just love to get to pick from one of them each night?" blushes "Ahem, on with the story!"

Disclaimer: "I found it!" waving a wrinkled piece of paper with the standard disclaimer written on it, "don't ask me where though" wrinkles her nose.

Chapter 5 - Touching


His nose itched. Snorting slightly one of his hands reached up and brushed the tip of his nose before settling back on his chest. Smacking he drifted backwards toward the darkness before he felt that itch again. Pulled back toward awareness he growled softly then abruptly sneezed.

Rough laughter abused his ears as he blinked his eyes open.

Pale pink, lavenders, blues and golds painted soft clouds as his hands moved up to rub at his eyes. Pushing up slightly he sleepily looked to the right to see a highly amused soon-to-be very dead monk and a laughing green eyed kitsune with a blade of grass in his paw.

"Bout time," Shippo grinned dropping the bit of grass and darting away from the claw whipping out to snare him. His nose wrinkled in appreciation at the smell of salt, pepper and soy - the changeless aroma of steeping ramen.

Inuyasha tried to clear his sleep dazed thoughts as his eyes moved from the smirk of the slayer, to the deeply amused face of the housi, before finally coming to rest on the kittenish smile of the miko. Kagome, he softened, then jerked angrily as memories of his earlier tussle with the wolf flooded his mind. Jumping up he growled, fingers cracking as honey eyes darted around the camp site.

"Where is he?"

The slayer frowned, "who?"

"That mangy wolf," he snapped, sniffing.

"Ginta, and Hakkaku hauled him off hours ago" the monk waved at the half-demon in amusement before smiling his thanks at the miko as she handed him a bowl of the steaming ramen.

Inuyasha blinked confused, then turned slowly to take in the camp site and the late afternoon sun setting in a pastel splash of colors. "Where are we," Inuyasha glowered at the monk.

Miroku slurped noodles from his chopsticks and shrugged pointing at the slayer. Sango rolled her eyes and did her best to answer the question. "About half a day's journey from where we camped last night" she smiled as Kagome handed her a bowl of re-heated stew.
Inuyasha blinked.

His gaze dropped to the tiny woman offering him a large bowl of ramen, and a set of chopsticks. "you were, ah, resting" she bit her lip to hide her grin, "so Kirara carried you till a little while ago".

Inuyasha's hands lingered a top Kagome's as he accepted the steaming bowl from her. They stood that way for a long moment before Shippo's whining for candy drew her attention. Unruffled she pulled back on her hands and returned to the fire. Chiding the kit for being impatient she dug in her backpack till she located a lollipop, removed the paper and handed it to the fox demon.

With a soft groan, and thud - that would be an unconscious ramen splashed Miroku noodles mid slurp on his chin, a snicker then choked cough, one diverted slayer admiring the monk's new benumbed state, and a muttered "interfering idiot" before a half-demon dropped to the ground beside a now eating miko - things returned to normal as late afternoon stretched into night.

Sparks flew upward as the last glowing log crumbled beneath the greediness of the camp fire's hunger. Alert after his long Miroku inspired midday nap, Inuyasha jumped from his observation branch and quietly scrounged a few more branches to feed the flames. While the cooler nights did not affect him it was the thought of the others that sent him on his errand. Arms burdened he returned to the camp and encouraged the red eyed coals to wake and feed once again.

"Thank you."

He turned at the soft appreciation and smiled at the sleepy gaze of the raven haired beauty. "It's nothing" he whispered softly before adding the last of the branches to the now boisterous flames.

"Well that too, but.." she stirred putting the snoring kitsune on his back and sitting up. She brushed dark locks from her face, "the flowers" she nodded to the remaining mums resting in a empty water filled ramen cup by her backpack.

He blushed, shrugging and she smiled sleepily.

Honey eyes moved over the sleep mussed female as she smiled. Unwitting, within seconds, he found himself crouching beside her sleeping bag, his fingers tenderly brushing her jaw as he whispered, "beautiful."

It was Kagome's turn to blush.

His gaze followed the stain of pink downward until it stopped, arrested by the brush of moisture on the middle of her bottom lip. He wanted, no his gut screamed, he needed to taste.

Her heart thudded once, then took off in a breathless marathon as the tip of his tongue brushed his lips before his head began descending. Her lashes fluttered then drifted downward as he drew closer his breath pooling against her bottom lip.

"Interesting."

"FUCK ME!" Inuyasha howled in frustration before whirling to confront the acerbic voice.

"Later" was the salty reply as the demon moved with rapid uncalculated grace until he faced the flustered miko, "come with me."

"She's not going anywhere" the demon lord would have been amused at the rapid disappearance of the miko behind fire rat robes and the sudden appearance of a sword tip inches from his nose if his need had not been so great.

Frowning, brow arched he ignored his half brother and his now very awake companions and snared the miko's eyes with his own, "miko."

It was over in a blink.

Inuyasha howled at the flash of white and the sudden loss of Kagome's grasp on the back of his haori. Whirling he watched his miko laden brother disappear into the tree line before giving chase.

"Sesshoumaru, give her back!" Inuyasha bellowed his strides eating up the ground beneath him as he fought to get to Kagome.

Glimpses of white, the sound of Kagome's "Inuyasha" drove him hard; fear, adrenaline and frustration adding velocity to his strides.

Kagome's palm pressed against her rolling stomach, her breath hitching as the solid ground comforted her shaking limbs. The mad dash through the forest in the middle of the night while bumping ungracefully on a demon's shoulder was something she swore to herself she would never experience again!

She fought to steady her heart, her breath, her shaking limbs as she teetered upright and faced the one responsible for her present state, "you brute", she growled in a rather impressive imitation of Inuyasha at his fiercest.

"Just what the hell was that for?" she thrummed with anger, as her fingers clenched in white knuckled fists.

Ignoring the miko, Sesshoumaru pushed around her to a sleeping dragon and the green imp at it's side.

Kagome's eyes narrowed as she followed the demon lord with suspicious outrage until the sound of heartbroken weeping finally registered through the receding roar of her ears. Startled her eyes darted around the clearing until they located a small female curled in a fetal position against the dragon, the imp petting her head ineffectually as the child wept.
Kagome's heart contracted, "Rin?"

She moved to the crying child pushing the now kneeling demon lord away as she knelt and lifted the tear soaked bundle to her lap. Crooning softly, she captured the weeping girl's head beneath her chin and delicately stroked the child's hair as she rocked. "Sh-h-h baby" the miko comforted.

The child's sobbing tore at her heart but her ministrations never stopped as she glared at Sesshoumaru in silent promise of retribution for the little one's tears.

The unflappable demon lord's brow arched in surprise.

"Kagome!" the shout wrested the miko's gaze from Sesshoumaru's as the half-demon erupted into the clearing, fangs and claws bared, ready for a fight. Inuyasha stumbled as the scene finally registered. Expecting the worse he was taken aback by the sight of a weeping Rin encased in a comforting miko's arms.

Seeing a very safe Kagome and hearing the soft thud of a landing fire cat he crossed his arms, hands deep in the sleeves of his haori before growling at his brother, "what the sam blasted hell is going on?"

Sesshoumaru rose with graceful calm aware of the focus of seven sets of eyes upon his person and shrugged.

The proverbial pin dropped with the sound of an avalanche in the sudden absolute dead silence of the clearing.

Seven sets of eyes blinked in tandem, Sesshoumaru shrugged?

Suddenly unsure Inuyasha looked over his shoulder at Miroku, and Sango "you saw that right?" His companions absently nodded in disbelief.

Then blinked again, Sesshoumaru shrugged.

Inuyasha bit the inside of his lip and nodded reassuring himself before turning back to miko holding the weeping girl, "Kagome?"

The miko turned from her appraisal of the demon lord and looked at Inuyasha, "you okay?"

She smiled at him then went back to crooning to the little girl "Rin?" she pulled back from the child and brushed tendrils of hair from her hot face, "what's wrong?"

The little girl snuffled, rubbing her eyes with little fists before stuttering through her tears, "he's going to send me away"

Kagome shot Sesshoumaru a hard glare then turned back to the little girl and gently pulled her fists down from her swollen eyes, "who?"

"S-S-s-Sesshoumaru-sama"

Taking in the demon lord's stoic expression the miko asked, "did he tell you this?"

Brown hair flew as the little girl shook her head no.

"Who told you then?"

Kagome's eyes followed the little girls pointing finger to the green imp.

"Jaken?"

Suddenly the censure of seven sets of eyes, the imp bounced from foot to foot before finding himself airborne from his master's kick.

"Rin," the demon lord knelt by the miko "this Sesshoumaru only meant for you to have learning."

The little girl wiggled before slipping from the miko's embrace to confront her guardian, "No, I don't want to."

Inuyasha's grin was ear splitting as he watched, his brother's human was as feisty as his own. He gazed up at the stars at the rapid glare from his brother, then watched from the corner of his eye as the great demon lord capitulated, "Hn."

Sighing, tears forgotten a smile burst upon the child's lips. Turning she patted Kagome's cheek then moved to the still sleeping dragon and snuggled up. Astonished the gathered adults watched as she slipped into a blissful sleep.

Nonplus the adults stood in silence watching the rising and falling of the little girl's chest before a frustrated half-demon moved to the miko and picked her up. "Okay that's it we need to talk."

Stunned Kagome looked up at Inuyasha, "talk?"

"Talk" was the firm reply before the couple vanished into the night shrouded forest.

"He-he" the monk rocked from heel to toe and back again, "guess we'll bed down for the rest of the night"

The demon lord sniffed.

"Back at camp, at camp.." the monk rushed palms out facing the demon and backing toward the fire cat the demon slayer beside him.

Unblinking, cold impassive eyes watched the monk steadily.

Quickly the monk encouraged the demon slayer and kit to mount the fire cat before they all took flight.

Expressionless the demon lord watched until the half-demon's companions were out of sight. With a flick of his wrist he brushed long locks of silver hair across his shoulder and smirked confidently, "I'm still the killing perfection."

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" his smirk receded at the tiny voice, "I need to go potty."


xx
x