InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Prelude To a Brouhaha ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I make no money, I do not own.

I just love to twist them into ooc pretzels.

Crossed Wires

Chapter12 - Prelude to a Brouhaha


Night rolled across the slayer village slowly extinguishing the bars of light crisscrossing the courtyard. Insects grew muted, and birdsong slowly died as the night darkened.

Overhead a fat lazy moon painted the village in ribbons of silver as a breeze floated in a caress across the skin of the hanyou and his partner lying on the hut's roof.

Quiet they studied the stars and listened to the conversation within the hut. "Kouga, I said I'd take care of that" Kagome admonished as the eavesdroppers listened to the sound of logs hitting the stove back.

"S'okay I've got it Kagome, your little hands are too delicate to be handling such harsh things", the hanyou bit his lip and tightened his muscles to keep from jumping down and interrupting the couple.

Isamu's voice drifted from the path leading from the creek, "Sango let me carry that for you"

There was the sound of sloshing water and a heavy sigh. "It's okay I've got it Isamu," the slayer groaned.

Miroku played with the beads around his hand, he really wanted to knock that irritating wolf demon out, he really did. "Are you sure about this?" the monk whispered for the hundredth time to the hanyou.

Inuyasha turned to face the monk and wondered himself if maybe he should rethink things. After chopping the wood then asking the girls if they needed anything further the monk and hanyou has escaped to the roof and rested listening to the steadily frustrated voices of the miko and slayer. He was a hair's breath from losing his control but he firmed his patience and nodded to the monk. They were risking a lot by the method they were pursuing but he was almost positive he was right.

The two listened to the slayer enter the hut with the wolf demon in tow. A few minutes later they heard the soft call of the miko asking if they were hungry. Grabbing the monk the hanyou whispered another warning then jumped down from the roof, the monk beside him.

Walking calmly into the hut, the hanyou sat beside his miko, and the monk the slayer. Each accepted, with a smile and a gentle thank you, bowls of stew. Kouga and the wolf demon not to be outdone, sat on the opposite side of their ladies, and reaching for empty bowls grabbed for the stew ladle at the same time. "Let go Isamu" Kouga snarled.

"I want to get Sango a bowl of stew, " Isamu growled.

"Alpha's first, idiot!"

Growling lowly the wolf demon relinquished the ladle and watched crossly as the wolf prince filled the miko's bowl to the brim.

"Kouga too much!" she warned watching hot broth spill over the bowl's edges.

Kouga smirked and handed the bowl to the miko, "you're too skinny Kagome, you need to eat more or you'll get sick!"

The wolf demon filled a similar bowl for the slayer, "you too my Sango".

Inuyasha heard the monk's quick indrawn breath and covered it with a slight cough. "I, a, think maybe we should talk about this harem thing." the hanyou offered, smiling at the miko.

"Wha… " the miko swallowed and started again, "What about it?"

Kouga watched from the corner of his eye as he filled his stew bowl and slurped at the soup. Inuyasha leaned close to the miko after placing his half empty bowl before him.

Giving Kagome all of his attention he spoke. "I think we should discuss who gets to mate first."

Kouga erupted, jumping up and foot connecting to the bowl in Kagome's hand, watched in horror as the hot stew spilled on her hand.

"Oi! Baka! Watch what you're doing!" the hanyou quickly took the soup from miko's hands and examined the burn. Reaching for and pulling the water bucket to him he quickly emerged the burn in the cooling liquid.

Horrified Sango, watched the pained expression on her friend's face as the water cooled the throbbing burn. The monk removed the slayer's forgotten bowl and placed it nearby but not to close. "Kagome are you okay?"

The miko nodded, tears gathering at the corner of her eyes. The wolf prince was beside himself, "I'm so sorry."

The miko nodded blinking back her tears. "It's alright, it was an accident."

Kouga slumped down to his seat and forlornly watched the hanyou lift the miko's hand to examine it before submerging it again.

Aware of all eyes upon her and feeling self conscious, the miko spoke "What did you mean by going first?"

The hanyou's gaze rose to the miko's, "if you are going to mate us all, then someone has to be first. Whoever mates first with the female of their choice is that female's alpha and always has prior claim. The beta mate must wait for the alpha's permission."

The miko hissed at the news. If Inuyasha and Miroku are mated second that meant they would always have to check with either Isamu or Kouga before being with the monk and hanyou. She just knew Kouga would not be likely to share. To mate with Inuyasha secondly and not being able to be with him would be torture. It was getting harder to breathe, "don't Sango and I get a choice?"

The hanyou nodded and smiled, "the female can choose in circumstances like these."

Isamu snarled and leaned close to the hanyou, "there's more to it than that. Before the female is offered the choice the males can settle it with a fight."

Sango jerked her gaze to Miroku's fear slipping through her veins, "Fight?"

"Yes," was Kouga's helpful reply, "who ever wins is either the sole mate, or the alpha in a shared mating."

Kagome swallowed, "when does the fight start?"

"Tomorrow," offered the monk and hanyou.

**************************************
< br>

Writer's Notes: Dun da dun duunnnnnnnn. Get out the beer, pretzels, peanuts and popcorn and let the action begin.

xx