InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Announcements and Little Green Demons ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

RT is the proud owner of Inuyasha, me I own nothing.

Crossed Wires

Chapter 19 - Announcements & Little Green Demons


Muttered snarls slipped from the green beak of the diminutive demon servant of Sesshoumaru as he balanced the tray upon his hands. There wasn’t much this servant would not do for his master, but the current errand had him in a fine thunder.

Beneath a tea towel, a bowl of broth with a cup of tea steamed happily for the injured miko. If that had been all Jaken could have found some way to live with the demeaning task, but no, as the tray was being readied Rin had entered the kitchen with her two guests and insisted that the demon servant take a portion to the half breed as well!

“Stupid human female,” he muttered beneath his breath as he walked slowly to the room holding the miko. His eyes flared with anger. His thoughts so snarled with the injustice of serving the half demon he did not immediately note the absence of said hanyou as he balanced the tray and pushed the panel open.

Stopping he close the panel all the while muttering fiercely about his task beneath his breath. It was a moment before he registered the presence behind him, and an equal amount of time for the tray to be taken from his grasp and a fist to fall raising a goose egg on his head.

“Oi!” The much verbally abused half demon growled lowly at the surprised, and hurting Jaken, “quiet.”

Snarling at Inuyasha the demon harrumphed, rubbing the lump on his head before leaving the room empty handed. Let the half demon serve the miko himself, grumbled Jaken he had more important matters to take care of for his master!

Inuyasha turned at the fading sounds of the disgruntled Jaken and moved back to the miko’s bedside. Placing the tray on a nearby low table he settled next to the mattress and gently brushed his fingers across her forehead combing her bangs aside. He had sat vigilant by her bedside ever since Sesshoumaru had left that morning. It was his job to protect Kagome, and right this moment there were very few within the household that he trusted.

Quietly he watched her breath, trying to ferret in his mind just how everything had gotten so bad, so fast. He knew where it started what had generated the whole mess and he knew just where that blame lay. Completely, and solely at his feet. If he hadn’t had left her to go to Kikyo, if he hadn’t stayed gone so long, if he had trusted her with the truth of the situation then this moss covered rock of a mess would not have tumbled into the boulder that caused her injuries.

“Inu.. yasha?”

His eyes dropped from her forehead to her fluttering eyelids. “How are you feeling Kagome?”

She smiled softly and tried to push herself up, her teeth catching her bottom lip to keep her from crying out at the pain. Focused on the still healing miko, the half demon saw the tell tale sign of her pain and put his arm around her back, helping her to sit up, “like I’ve been hit by a bus..”

The half demon snorted. He had been beyond the well enough to Kagome’s time to recognize many of the things she spoke about. Settling her against the head of the bed he indicated the tray, “from the kitchen of the Western Lord.”

“..sure it’s not poisoned?” quipped the miko.

Inuyasha frowned then removed the tea towel and took a slurp of her bowl. Brow arched his gaze met hers as they waited a few minutes. When nothing happened he held the bowl near her lips.

“It was a joke” she smiled leaning forward to take a sip of the strengthening broth.

Muttering, “you never know with Sesshoumaru”, the half demon urged her to drink several more sips before returning the bowl to the tray and offering her the tea cup.

Grateful for the beverage, the miko took the cup and emptied half before handing it back to the half demon, “thank you.”

Inuyasha shrugged and settled back by the bed.

Long moments passed the miko picking at her coverlet while the half demon sat silently by the bedside on guard. “Inuyasha… “

The half demon didn’t move but his ears flicked back in her direction, “Inuyasha, I’m sorry for this mess.”

Surprised, it was a few moments before the hanyou moved. In the lull the miko continued, “I let my anger and hurt get the better of my good judgment. I wanted to hurt you as badly as I was hurt so I started all this and convinced Sango it was a good idea to go along.”

Inuyasha turned and met her gaze as she continued, “I’ve know this stubbornness of mine would get me in trouble one day. What I didn’t count on was it’s potential to almost killed Sango and I”

“I’ve done enough damage; to Sango, to Miroku and most of all to you.” Kagome’s eyes rose to meet the half demon’s “that’s why I’ve told Sesshoumaru I will do whatever he wants as long as Sango and Miroku could be together, and you could be free to be with who your heart desires.”

Smiling quietly she laid her hand on his briefly, “be happy,” she whispered before the panel to her room opened and in walked Sesshoumaru, Ayami, Kouga, Sango and Miroku.

Leaning close Inuyasha tried to whisper to the miko, “Kagome, you don’t… “ his voice was silenced by the loud cough of the Western Lord.

Beyond the tall dog demon the afternoon shadows had lengthened as the miko slept. A breeze carrying the hint of a Fall chill blew through the slightly opened panel that lead to the castle’s courtyard. Shivering Kagome pulled her coverlet up to cover her bare arms and watched the assembled settle about the room.

Noting the absence of the she-wolf and her pack guards, along with Isamu, the hanyou wondered at the odd gathering.

“Miko” Sesshoumaru began, “we have learned one of the guards of the she-wolf’s pack was the wolf that attacked you last night. Isamu was given to that pack and the she-wolf and her pack members have been escorted from this Sesshoumaru’s domain.”

Kagome darted a glance to Sango at Sesshoumaru’s announcement and was relieved to see no sign of worry, regret, or longing in the slayer’s countenance. Beside her Inuyasha’s deep snarl brought her attention back to the Western Lord.

“In keeping with my promise of the night before I have decided the slayer and miko’s partners.” Turning to the monk he took the slayer’s hand and placed within the unfettered palm of the monk, “she is yours.”

The gathered froze in silence at the Western Lord’s announcement and watched closely as the emotionless Sesshoumaru took the miko’s hand ignoring the snarling rumble of warning from the hanyou, “and the miko” he continued with a cold calmness, “will be Kouga‘s mate.”

“Like fucking hell!” the hanyou’s outburst incited a cacophony of shouts and voices while silently Kagome lay, her head down, bangs covering her eyes.

Rin smiled back at the two crowding behind her as they pressed close to the panel to the miko’s room eavesdropping. Stepping back at the angry voices filling the room she pushed her companions back then grinned, “I told you my Lord Sesshoumaru would fix it!”

“Fix it?!?,” growled a rather tiny demonic voice in frustration, “he’s only made it worse!”

Beside him a small feline meow’d her agreement.

****************************

W riter’s Note: I believe there are maybe three chapters left. Unfortunately I am not sure I will be able to continue them until hurricane Irene has passed us by. I will be back as soon as I can - Inky.

xx