InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Kits, Little Girls, and Wolf Demons ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: These amazing characters belong to RT, I’ve just spent three years and several months driving them crazy.

Sticks and stones are hard on bones
Aimed with angry art,
Words can sting like anything
But silence breaks the heart.
~Phyllis McGinley, "Ballade of Lost Objects," 1954
Crossed Wires

Chapter 20 - Kits, Little Girls and Wolf Demons


Quiet the red headed wolf demon pulled at her pigtail and stared forlornly across the Western Lord’s courtyard. She hurt. Her chest felt as if it were splitting in two, and she was having trouble getting her breath. Tears leaked unnoticed from her eyes as her teeth worried her bottom lip.

“Ayami?”

She quickly wiped the tears from her cheeks and brushed down her bustier to the fur hugging her hips. Taking a moment to force air to fill her lungs she waited tense as Kouga moved up beside her.

“..a surprise, huh?”

Her head turned away she blinked against further tears, not willing to give the wolf prince the gift of her sorrow. Clearing her voice she surprised herself at the steadiness of her words, “you got what you wanted.”

“Yea,” Kouga muttered rubbing his hand along the back of his neck his eyes cast upon the ground. He had, but somehow it didn’t make him happy. He was surprised at the turmoil roiling in his chest.

Neither wolf demon noticed the silent approach of the Western Lord. “I believe we shall have the mating ritual tomorrow, midday. Would that be sufficient for you?” The great dog demon continued quietly surveying his courtyard, “the miko has said that hour would be in agreement with her.”

Kouga, followed the dog demon’s gaze and looked out across the courtyard as well, trying hard to ignore the fresh smell of salt filled tears to his right. “Okay, that’ll..” he sighed “be okay.”

Sesshoumaru arched a brow and turned coolly addressing the wolf prince, “you do remember your part of the agreement. For the miko you will guard my borders against insurgents and provide a warning system for attempts at breeching.”

Ayami gasped and turned to the silent wolf prince.

“Yea, okay” the wolf prince answered and turned away from the Western Lord, disappearing into the castle.

Silently Sesshoumaru and Ayami stood facing the courtyard. Trees creaked in a breeze combing through their tops, as at the tree line a rabbit appeared and for the smallest of moments brushed at it’s snout before disappearing in the brush at the shadow of a hawk.

Ayami was startled by the soft musings of the dog demon. “I wonder, who is winning, and who is actually losing.” Without an acknowledgement of the female wolf demon he strode into the courtyard disappearing beyond the fountain and it’s pond.

Watching until the demon disappeared from sight, the wolf princess gripped her hands against the pain in her chest and whispered sadly, “me, I’m the one losing.”

Sango with the help of the kitsune maid assisted her friend to clean herself up and get dressed. She watched quietly the sad thoughts flowing across the miko’s face and unable to keep herself quiet any longer, erupted “Why?” She turned the miko to face her and held her by the shoulders gently shaking her, “just tell me why? I know you love Inuyasha. I know you’re not in love with the wolf, so for Kami sake Kagome tell me why?”

The miko smiled enigmatically, “do you like this furisode for tomorrow?”

“No!” was the angered reply as a tiny ball of energy flew across the room and into the miko’s arms. “You are not suppose to be mating with that piece of wolf…”

Surprised, the slayer dropped her hands as a shocked miko slapped a hand over the kitsune’s mouth, “Shippo what are you doing here?”

Grumbling loudly and furiously behind her hand the miko watched her eyes widening at the some of the gestures and barely intelligible words flooding from the tiny demon. “Shippo?!”

Tiny paws tugged the top of her fingers away enough to let his words find freedom, “.. Rin said he would fix it! Boy did he fix it! What an unholy mess!”

Trying to make heads or tails of the tiny demon’s words the slayer and miko watched his wildly flaying arms and fury filled eyes as he continued to sputter, “you were suppose to mate Inuyasha, not that flea infested wolf. How in the he…” he glanced quickly at the miko “…ummm heck did that smug ice dog get this all so wrong?”

Arms crossed across his chest, his tirade done, the kitsune stewed in Kagome’s arms.

“Shippo?” the slayer leaned close to the small demon, “did you have anything to do with Sesshoumaru’s interference?”

Unaware of the narrowing of the slayer’s eyes the belligerent kit huffed, “well yea, how were you going to get out of the mess you both made back in the slayer’s village? Kirara and I thought we should get you some help.”

“Kirara? Is she here too?” a soft meow brought the slayer and miko’s eyes upon the two tail cat demon and the small human female beside her.

“Shippo!” the little human girl admonished, “my Lord Sesshoumaru has fixed things, just you wait and see!”

The small demon snarled, “When? When will it be fixed Rin? After the mating ritual tomorrow?”

Hearing enough the miko put the kit down and pushed him toward the small female, “apologize.”

Angered still the kit whined, “…but Kagome”

“Apologize!”

Muttering darkly the kit approached the small female and, garbled an acceptable if somewhat rapid apology. A brilliant smile broke out upon the little girl’s face and she wrapped her arm through the sullen kit’s, “it’s okay Shippo you’ll see..” as she dragged him from the room, the cat demon on the kit’s heels.

Kagome sank upon her bed and looked up at the slayer, “..what now?”

Suddenly very sure, the slayer put her hand on the miko’s shoulder, “Inuyasha”

The miko shook her head and lowered her gaze, “no” she said quietly.

Surprised the slayer sat next to Kagome, “why not?” the slayer questioned taking the miko’s hand.

“Yea why not?”

Both girls heads snapped up at the arrogant snarl from across the room. Standing in the panel opening was the half demon, his arms crossed on his chest, his fangs peeking from thin lips as his angry golden eyes met those of the miko.

“Why the hell not?”

****************************

Writer’s Note: Irene isn’t quite here yet so let the story continue until she makes her arrival known.

xx