InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Miles to go, and Promises to keep ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Welp, I could not find a bill of sale anywhere in my paperwork as Irene beat about my tiny house snapping oak trees in half. So I guess I don’t own the characters from Inuyasha. Bummer.

For every promise, there is a price to pay. - Jim Rohn

Crossed Wires

Chapter 21 - Miles to go, and Promises to keep.


Inuyasha paced. That’s right paced, and mumbled to himself as his friend the housi watched in meditative silence. Back and forth the monk’s eyes followed the fervor of the hanyou - waiting, and watching as the half demon worked himself up to an idea only to dismiss it immediately.

He knew the half demon was desperate for a solution as the night waned and the morning approached. Suddenly very tired of what had to be the hundred idea dismissed the monk grabbed his staff and shook the bells to get the worried hanyou’s attention.

“Just grab her and take her far from here,” the monk offered exasperated.

“Hell, Miroku, don’t you think that wasn’t the first thing to come to my mind? I’m not stupid you know.” the hanyou snarled.

“So what’s stopping you?”

“Kagome,” the half demon sighed. “She promised Sesshoumaru.”

The monk shrugged, “and?”

Inuyasha slumped to the floor giving the monk his attention, “it’s her honor resting on a word, a promise.” If there was one thing the miko knew the half demon understood it was the honor of a promise given. Wasn’t it the self same thing that had cause so much heart ache to begin with? Kagome had tightly looped them all in a knot believing she was doing what was best for everyone, sacrificing her happiness for what she believe would be everyone’s happiness and he still the self same emotionally stunted male that he was - never mind the demon part - had not enlightened her on how her promise was not making him happy. No, in fact it was driving him out of his mind!

The monk rested his staff against his shoulder and arched a brow at the frustrated and desperate half demon. “remember the game we played a while ago Shippo, you and myself the one with burrs, a stone and flowers?”

Inuyasha snorted, “what’s it got to do with this?”

The monk smiled, “you’re the burr, Kagome is still the flower but the stone has now become Kouga.”

The half demon raised his gaze to the monk’s. The monk leaned close, “the only way to preserve Kagome’s honor, is to remove the stone.”

“Kouga!” the hanyou shot up, cracking his neck and then his knuckles fond of the idea of wasting the wolf prince.

The monk quickly rose halting the hanyou mid step, “wait, let’s think this through, we’re going to have to be clever to get Kouga to step out of the picture without ruffling Sesshoumaru’s feathers.”

The half demon’s brows rose beneath his bangs as Miroku continued, “Shippo got us into this current mess, Shippo will get us out.”

Ayami sighed, it was time for her to go home. She had failed. She knew Kouga remembered his promise of the Lunar Moon. She also knew he was determined to follow through on the path he had set for himself and everyone else involved. Now, with no more time she would have to return to her pack and try to explain her failure to the old ones. She knew one day her grandfather would insist she find a someone among their pack to mate. She would need a strong alpha mate to help her lead their pack and make them strong again. She also knew no one else would ever hold her heart as Kouga had.

Gathering her belongings, the she wolf swallowed against the pain of a broken heart and began the preparations for the long journey, stopping only when a knock erupted at her door. Wondering at the visitor she pulled the door opened and yipped in surprise at being hauled through the open doorway.

Kouga paced within the Western Lord’s courtyard, fighting an inner battle with himself trying to find why he wasn’t happy with the recent turn of events. He knew how he felt about Kagome, about having her for his own. He also knew all the whys of what such a marriage would mean for his pack, she was a powerful miko. Besides she was good for the pack, and would be good for him. He nodded sure of his resolve`.

So why did the salt of the she wolf’s tears bother him so. He bit his bottom lip trying to rationalize the sadness he felt at the thought of Ayami. He remembered the lunar promise but it was so long ago and she was a child. Still his heart thumped once in his chest she was beautiful now, and confident. He was sure she would make a fine alpha female so why did the thought of someone else mating her send a jab of jealousy through him. Confused the wolf demon began pacing once again trying to reason his conflicting thoughts and emotions, until his name was breathed softly behind him. He stopped meaning to turn only to start with surprise at something hard meeting the back of his head and the rapid descent into darkness.

Shippo scampered back his heart thudding in his chest. Seeing the hanyou pacing within his room, the kit stopped momentarily chewing on his lip, Inuyasha was going to kill him. Deciding now was not the time, the kit made to return the way he came only to be caught up by his tail and held aloft in front of the monk’s face, “so Shippo did you do what we asked?”

The kit began trembling as the hanyou appeared beyond the monk’s shoulder, well yes…”

The hanyou smiled, fangs gleaming.

The kit swallowed, “… and no.”

Shippo worked at making himself smaller as the half demon’s growls began to grow stronger.

****************************

< b>Writer’s Note: Poor Shippo….

xx