InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Endings and New Beginnings ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: RT owns.

“To tell you the truth, in my work, love is always in opposition to the elements. It creates dilemmas. It brings in suffering. We can’t live with it and we can’t live without it… “ - Krzysztof Kieslowski

Crossed Wires

Chapter 25 - Endings and New Beginnings

Inuyasha sat on his usual branch ears flickering at the sounds of the forest as the slayer and monk talked quietly below. When Naraku disappeared into hell with Kikyo he had taken most of the jewel with him, but there still remained some pieces causing the demons to create havoc. The slayer, and monk had talked the half demon into remaining with them and trying to collect the remaining shards.

He knew it was a worthwhile venture but his heart wasn’t in it anymore. The last demon had almost taken his life with a broad swipe because the miko had been on his mind. She was always on his mind, he fell asleep thinking of her, woke with thoughts of her, and her words haunted him as they traveled, “until the day I die Inuyasha, I will love you. Only you.”

He closed his eyes against the pain tearing through his chest. He had thought Kikyo’s death would be painful but he had never reckoned with losing Kagome. He was lost. Truly, and utterly his heart rendered into a million of pieces that could never be restored again. It hurt to breath, to walk, to fight, to live, without her.

He turned at the soft call from the monk to eat, and then silently turned away.

Kouga stretched as the morning sun filtered through the waterfall illuminating the cave in a kaleidoscope of colors. He smiled at the warmth pressed to his side and drew deeply of the female’s scent. His heart was at peace, filled with warmth and contentment.

“Kouga” he turned at the soft whisper and smiled at the miko, “do you think you can lend me Ginta, or Hakkaku?”

The wolf prince looked over the miko and smiled remembering the mating ceremony.

“All you must do is declare your vow to one another as I bear witness and it is done.” the dog demon explained solemnly.

The miko had looked into the wolf’s eyes, and his had been on the she wolf, “No.”

He heard a gasp followed by a ’Yes!‘ from the tiny kit behind him and smiled.

Kouga could never forget the shock widening the miko’s gaze as he took her shoulders and tried to explain. “Kagome, I thought you were what was best for me and my pack, but I’ve begun rethinking that idea”

The miko had smiled, “you don’t love me.”

The wolf prince grinned, “no.”

“You’re in love with someone else?” The miko ventured her own smile widening into a grin.

The wolf prince smiled and turned, “Ayami?”

Stunned the she wolf remained in her seat her eyes fixed on Kouga’s.

“Ayami” he held out his hand to her and suddenly filled with joy she jumped up and grabbed it, only to be engulfed in Kouga’s embrace.

Sesshoumaru, no emotion marring his features coolly reminded the wolf prince of his agreement. “I gave you the miko, it does not change the agreement now that you have decided to give her back.”

Kouga nodded his own joy shining from within his gaze, “agreed.”

“I’ve got to tell the others” the miko started for the door only to be stopped by the Western Lord.

“Your pack has left.”

Startled the miko turned to the dog demon, “I had them escorted off the estate before the ceremony.”

Kouga remembered the flash of the miko’s eyes as she started for the dog demon, putting his other arm around Kagome’s shoulder he whispered he would see her to her friends as soon as the mating ceremony for he and Ayami was over.

Nodding her anger flaring at the dog demon she had stood silently but impatiently as the she wolf and wolf prince had declared their selves to each other.

With minutes of the completion of the mating ceremony they were on their way, the kit taking his reluctant leave from a rather smug Rin who did her best to keep from saying, “I told you so.”

Now they were in his cave, his pack ebullient at their new alpha female, his own heart filled with joy, and the miko who was one of his closest friends standing before him.

“Ginta, Hakkaku take Kagome to Inuyasha’s pack” he leaned down and enveloped the miko, “be safe Kagome, if you need me you just have to call.”

She smiled up at the wolf prince and then over his shoulder at the still sleeping alpha female, “be good to her, Kouga.”

She kissed his cheek and waving to the kit followed behind Ginta from the cave.

Kouga felt his mate’s arms wrap around his waist as she laid her head against his shoulder, “happy?”

The wolf prince grinned as he turned and bore his mate back onto the furs, he intended to show her just how happy he was.

Night crawled across the landscape bending shadows as a pregnant moon once again wobbled on the horizon. Alone with the sound of a breeze bending grasses to the earth she thought back to the night she and Kagome had sat just as she was now, immersed in the warmth of a hot spring frustrated with love, and men and the bend that life was taking them in. The slayer’s head dropped from the moon’s glow, she would give much of it back if she could have her friend next to her once again.

She sighed her breath catching as she heard a twig break, “Miroku?”

“Is he still peeking even now that you’re married?”

Sango sat up the warm water sluicing from her shoulders, “Kagome?”

The naked miko giggled and slipped within the water and hugged her friend, “I missed you so much Sango!”

The slayer pulled back and looked the miko over, “Is Kouga treating you well?”

“Well, yes” the miko grinned and leaned close to the slayer, “we’re not mated.”

The slayer stilled, “not mated?” she whispered.

The miko grinned and whispered to her friend, “I need a favor….”

The black tresses mingled wit the brown locks as the two conspired under the pregnant moon.

“Miroku?”

The monk turned at his wife’s call, “Yes, Sango?” His eyes widening at the miko standing at her side.

“K..” the miko put her finger to her lips and glanced at the tree branch were the hanyou sat.

“Help me gather some firewood will you?” the slayer grinned at the stunned expression of the monk and pulled him behind her into the woods back to the hot springs where the kit and cat demon waited.

Slowly the miko moved into the camp until she was beneath the tree that held her hanyou. She was surprised at the lack of response to the noise she was making but understood after learning from the slayer how the half demon had fared.

“Inuyasha?” she called quietly watching as he twitched upon the branch his ears flattening against his hair. “Inuyasha..”

He grumbled to himself at the sound of her voice, he was dreaming again.

Inuyasha!”

The shout caused him to fumble and drop from the branch to the ground. He looked up snarling then saw the miko before him. Jumping up he rushed to her and gathered her in his arms, before remembering to whom she now belonged.

Stepping back he dropped his arms, his eyes moving over her face, “how are you Kagome?”

She smiled and stepped closer to him, “happy to see you.”

He ached to pull her close, “are you visiting? Bring the kit with you?”

She shook her head, “ummm no, and yes”

“No you didn’t bring the kit, or no you’re not visiting?” he frowned confused at the happiness radiating from her.

“Let’s see” she placed her finger upon her lips and watched as his eyes caught there “yes, I brought Shippo and no I’m not visiting”

She took another step, “did you mean it?”

He eyes jerked up to hers, “yes. Are you happy, is Kou… “ he cleared his throat unable to say the name of the one she now belonged to, ”your mate treating you well?”

“Yes, I’m very happy” his heart sank with the obvious truth of her words, “and no, I don’t have a mate”

“I’ll kill hi…” the hanyou stopped as he heard the rest of the miko’s words after the ‘no’, “not mated?” he asked stupidly as his heart began to pound within his chest.

Kagome shook her head ‘no’ and took another step bringing her flush to the dog demon, “I love you, Inuyasha and I belong to no one but you.”

Grabbing her he pulled her tight against his heart, holding her close so that no one would ever be able to take her again. “I love you. Only you, until the end of time.

****************************

Wr iter’s Note: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

xx