InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dog and Dragon ❯ Death and Life ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ryuukotsusei perched himself high in the boughs of a tree, waiting. One clawed hand gripped anxiously at the hilt of his sword, his keen dragon’s eyes narrowed in concentration. It wouldn’t be long now. One swipe of his sword and his lands would be rid of their troublesome plague.

In the distance he could hear his comrade’s feral barks and the pained squeals of the boar youkai they were hunting. The boar had been laying waste to the Dragon’s lands, killing youkai children, raping the women and gorging himself on the palace crops. He would take pleasure in running his blade across the bastard’s throat.

He looked to the tops of the trees and saw flocks of birds taking flight, marking the chase as it progressed through the heavy woods. When they crashed into the clearing below him, the bloodied boar running for his life from the Dog General, Ryuukotsusei leaped from his perch. He landed in front of the boar and brought his sword across his throat in a fluid slash, drenching himself in the fiend’s blood. Ryuukotsusei sheathed his sword as the new corpse fell to the ground, continuing to bleed itself dry.

The Inu no Taisho resumed his humanoid form and looked down at the dead youkai, stroking his chin thoughtfully.

“Hmm,” he hummed curiously.

“What?” Ryuukotsusei questioned.

The Dog Lord stuck a finger in the boar’s fatal wound, running it over the broken skin. “A jagged slice. You made sloppy work of dispatching him,” he said.

“I did not,” Ryuukotsusei said defensively.

“Look for yourself,” he said, and Ryuukotsusei crouched down to inspect his work.

“I see nothing wrong with it,” the dragon said, and even with the smell of dead boar in his nose he could sense someone else would soon be in their midst. “Someone is approaching. He smells like dog. Must be one of your soldiers.”

The Dog’s brow furrowed. “What is one of my men doing out here in the East?”

Ryuukotsusei shrugged and got to his feet. The inuyoukai burst through the trees and gave the two Lords a deep bow. “My Lord!” he shouted breathlessly.

“What brings you?” the Inu no Taisho asked.

“My Lord, it is your Lady!”

He needed say no more. He had barely finished speaking before the Dog General and his dragon friend were off and running to where the future of the West would introduce himself to the world.

The day had begun with death, but it would end in the miracle of life.