InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drifting ❯ Burned ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Burned
 
InuYasha walked forward into the room. Kagome squirmed, pressing herself against the back wall of the hut. InuYasha didn't seem to notice as he continued to stride forward. He sat down next to her, his eyes taking in her beautiful skin.
 
Kagome watched him enter, her whole world breaking apart. He was here, here, staring at her longingly, and part of her wanted so much to devour him. But when he reached out and touched her arm, she cried out, unable to stop the sound. He jerked his hand back and stared at her face as she quietly whimpered. He closed himself off, drawing away from her.
 
“What's wrong, Kagome?” he asked, his fear gripping at his throat.
 
She couldn't get her mouth to move right. The words wouldn't form, and any attempts got caught in her throat. She just stared at him with the same expression of shock and fear.
 
“You're okay, Kagome, you're safe,” he said, reaching out again to touch her face. The cry came again before he reached her, this time accompanied by tears, but he touched her face anyway, leaning over her, bringing his lips down to meet her cheek.
 
“No,” she protested, weakly. He pushed his lips hard against hers, opening his mouth to consume her.
 
“No!” she said, pushing against him uselessly with her weakened arms, “No, no, no, no, no!”
 
He backed away from her, eyes wide with surprise as sobs racked her body.
 
“No,” she moaned once more, covering her face with her hands. The noise brought Kaede inside to see what was bothering her charge. InuYasha stared at Kagome for a second more before backing out of the hut, the sounds of her sobs ringing in his ears.
 
He launched himself onto a tree branch and caught his breath, pressing his hands over his ears to block out the sound. Everything was wrong, entirely wrong. He watched with hazy eyes as the fingers on the hand he had touched her with turned black. The blackness spread, crawling up his arm, straight to his heart. He felt it penetrate, speeding through his bloodstream until his entire body was numb and dark.
 
Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
Kagome smiled at InuYasha. “I'm going to do it,” she said, “I'm going to purify it.”
 
InuYasha smiled and kissed her softly, still getting used to the sensation. Kagome giggled and then shoved him away.
 
“No distractions!” She said, waving him off.
 
“Are you going to make me human?” he asked her, flicking his ears.
 
Kagome paused, and smiled enigmatically. “No… not human…”
 
“What are you going to wish for, then?” he asked, grabbing her hand.
 
“Wait and see!” She said, trying to pull away. He drew her in, and she giggled again as he kissed her again. She broke away and flicked of his ears.
 
“You keep doing that and I'll never get this done.” She laughed and smiled at him. InuYasha beamed at her.
 
“Just get back here as soon as you're done, wench.”
Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
InuYasha woke up shivering, still high in the tree. He rubbed his face, trying to get the vision out of his head. When he took his hands away, he saw the small form of Kagome standing beneath the tree. He stared at her, wide-eyed, his heart pounding in his throat. Her stare was defiant and cold, though he could still smell the salt on her cheeks. He jumped down, intending to draw her into his arms, to force her to look at him as she used to.
 
She stepped away from him, keeping herself out of reach. Everything had changed. She had changed. “Why, Kagome?” he asked her quietly. Her eyes were hooded, dark. Her body and thoughts were closed off to him, and she couldn't have been farther away were she dead.
 
“I had never felt so alone in my life,” she said shakily, “I never needed something so badly when it wasn't there.”
 
“I'm here now, Kagome. I missed you, I needed you, too.” He tried to reach out to her again, but she flinched, and he dropped his hand, chagrined.
 
“No!” she yelled, “Don't you get it? I died!” She gasped, choking back the threatening tears. “I'm dead.”
 
It was barely more than a whisper, but it cut straight into InuYasha. He shook his head, silently begging her to stop. He couldn't bear this; he couldn't bear the hopeless desperation in her eyes.
 
“I'm leaving, InuYasha. I'm going. I can't be with you any longer. I can't need you any longer.”
 
He was paralyzed as she walked away. His body was completely numb. His eyes glazed over and all he could see was the image of a tormented girl. His Kagome was dead.
 
tttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
Kagome held her head high and walked past InuYasha, holding onto her strength with a grim determination. She wouldn't back down. She couldn't.
 
When InuYasha had walked in- as if it had only been a day, she thought bitterly- when he had walked in, he had lit a fire in her, but instead of the uncontrollable fires that he had inspired in her in the past, this one was cold, contained. His presence had brought her strength, and this one time she would use it. She would use it to break his power.
 
She jumped down the well. Her borrowed strength wouldn't last forever, but she had it now. If she could hold onto it for long enough, she could let go of him. She could be free of him. She could live her life without him.
 
She found herself at the shrine, and she began to sob.
 
Tttttttttttttttttttttttttt
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
AN: I do not own the rights to InuYasha.