InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drifting ❯ Generosity ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Generosity
 
Kagome glanced at Hiroshi while vaguely listening to her teacher. The last three days he had asked to take her home, and yesterday she had finally consented. The tall, thin boy had chattered in a friendly way and hadn't been bothered by her silence, which had surprised her. He had been nice, not pushing her to reveal anything and doing everything possible to coax a smile out of her. When was the last time that happened?
 
She snapped out of her reverie when the bell rang, signaling the end of class. Hiroshi walked up to her desk and said in a mock-scolding tone, “Kagome, so studious you won't even leave the classroom?” he laughed as said more seriously, “I wish I had your work ethic. I probably wouldn't be stuck at summer school, then.”
 
Kagome felt her face turn hot as she scrambled to get her books into her bag. She knocked half of them to the floor, and her blush deepened as Hiroshi bent to pick them up. He's so nice, she thought, why? Why be nice to me?
 
“I am sorry to say that I cannot drive you today, Kagome,” Hiroshi said, handing her the books, “I don't have my car with me. However, I would like to walk you home if you aren't too disappointed.”
 
Kagome stuttered out that it would be fine with her, and they left the building. “Let me carry your bag, Kagome, it's huge,” Hiroshi said as they walked down the street. “How many classes are you taking?” he asked, reaching for the bag.
 
Kagome clutched her bag protectively, and managed to let out a shallow laugh, saying, “Oh, it's no problem, I'll carry it myself.”
 
Hiroshi shrugged, and they continued to walk. It wasn't long until Kagome recognized a familiar face that had obviously spotted her as well.
 
“Kagome! I haven't seen you in so long!” Yuka exclaimed, embracing her estranged friend. Kagome tensed up, but then gave a genuine smile and returned the hug. “Who is this?” Yuka asked, gesturing toward Hiroshi with an arched eyebrow, “And whatever happened to that crazy, possessive boyfriend of yours? It seemed like you were always off somewhere with him.”
 
Kagome's face fell. Off five hundred years in the past with him. “Not so possessive I guess,” she muttered, and more loudly, “We… split.”
 
Yuka thought about that for a moment before saying, “Well, I think that you are better off without him, Kagome,” She looked at Kagome's face more closely and said quietly, “He changed you.” Yuka paused, and then her face lit up, “And speaking of changes, nice haircut! I can't believe you finally cut your hair, but you look so much older. Hey, maybe you can come shopping with us this weekend! We could all catch up, it would be just like old times.”
 
Kagome tried to force out a smile even as tears threatened at the mere mention of InuYasha. “That would be great, Yuka. I've… I've really missed you guys.” Even as she said it she realized that it was true.
 
Yuka smiled and embraced her friend again, then turned to Hiroshi and said, “Hey, maybe you can come, too…“
 
“Hiroshi,” Kagome supplied.
 
“You can come, too, Hiroshi. That is, if you wouldn't be too afraid of shopping with a bunch of girls.”
 
Hiroshi laughed, thanking Yuka for the invitation. They chatted for a brief period of time before Yuka suddenly gasped, and sped off exclaiming about the time. Kagome and Hiroshi looked at each other, and laughed at the running girl before returning on their way.
 
“It's good,” Hiroshi said.
 
“Hmm?”
 
“Hearing you laugh. It's good.” Hiroshi looked at her with a serious expression in his eyes. “It's not good for you to be so sad all the time.”
 
Kagome couldn't think of anything to say in response.
 
“So… what time shall I pick you up?”
 
“What?”
 
“To go shopping this weekend, of course.”
 
“Oh…” Kagome fervently tried to think of anything to get out of it, but nothing came to mind. “I guess I'll tell the girls to be at my house around 2:00.”
Ttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
InuYasha dropped from his perch with less grace than intended. His muscles were stiff, his bones ached, and he was drained from lack of food. Weak, he thought, you're weak.
 
He looked at the food that Sango had left earlier in the day and sat down to eat it. The scent had gotten to him today, though he had believed that he had lost the need and desire for food. The fumes that had made him sick a few days earlier now tantalized him. He ate ravenously, though the food was cold. Sango walked up to him with another plate of food and stared in shock at the eating hanyou. She hadn't seen him move for the past five days and was getting more frantic every minute. When he didn't flee at her approach, she moved in closer and set the second plate next to him, which he immediately started to eat.
 
“Not so fast!” she said, “If you eat that fast you will get sick, InuYasha.”
 
Before InuYasha responded a hawk youkai dove into the clearing, apparently also attracted to the smell of Sango's cooking. He stared at InuYasha menacingly, clicking his beak, prepared to fight for the meat. InuYasha jumped up, unsheathing Tetsusaiga. The bird took to the air, but InuYasha didn't attack. He stared at the rusty katana in his hands. The blade wouldn't transform. He concentrated, but nothing happened. The taka went into a dive, his claws aimed straight for InuYasha's neck, but still the hanyou didn't react. Before the bird could strike the fatal blow, however, Sango's giant boomerang flew through the air, cutting through the youkai. It fell to the ground and ceased to move before dissolving into dust. Sango scanned the sky, and satisfied that it was clear, turned back to her friend. “InuYasha?”
 
He hadn't moved. His face was contorted in disbelief, his hand shaking a little, and suddenly he dropped the sword. “It… rejected me,” he whispered.
 
Sango picked up the sword and now glared at him, angry at the man who she had respected for his strength and loyalty. “It's your own damn fault, InuYasha. If you would just go to her, and stop feeling so damn sorry for yourself, you wouldn't be sitting here, half dead and growing weaker.”
 
 InuYasha didn't listen. He backed away in horror, and in one swift motion jumped back into Goshinboku. Sango calmed herself, and said, “If you really want to fix it, InuYasha, you need to find Kagome. Please,” she pleaded, “Get Kagome.” She dropped the sword at the base of the tree, and turned around and left.
 
InuYasha didn't look at the woman as she walked away, though he could feel the angry sadness emanating from her. How can I get her when I can't go where she is? His eyes settled on the well. There's nothing there. She's not there. She died. He shook his head, feeling the sting of tears in his eyes. You died, Kagome, didn't you? Didn't you leave me here, alone, and travel on, just like Kikyou?
 
Tttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
InuYasha slowly massaged Kagome's hands, still sore from drawing her bow so many times against Naraku. Kagome gave appreciative little murmurs now and then, though for the most part she seemed to be drifting off to sleep.
 
“You're sweet, you know,” she said softly.
 
InuYasha blushed and dropped her hands with a soft `keh!'. Kagome laughed at his bashfulness and leaned over to kiss his nose.
 
“What was that for?” he said, glaring at her suspiciously.
 
“I like your nose,” she replied simply, and wrinkled her own.
 
InuYasha looked at her sideways and said, “My nose, wench?”
 
She nodded and he crawled over to her and kissed her squarely on the mouth.
 
“I think I like those better,” she said faintly.
 
Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
 
Kagome waved her friends goodbye as they ran down the steps from the shrine. Hiroshi lingered a little longer, smiling at Kagome. She found herself blushing at the attention, which only served to make his smile wider. He seemed to enjoy teasing her, drawing her out of her sadness. Putting his finger under his chin, he lifted her face so that she was looking at him and said, “I hope you had a good time today, Higurashi Kagome, and I hope you will allow me to take you out tomorrow night.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened at his offer, and without thinking she nodded to him. He dropped his hand, waved a goodbye, and strode off. Kagome watched him leave. Is he what you want, Kagome? She remembered the approving glances of her friends as they walked through the mall. Hiroshi had been generous, giving them all rides and buying lunch for them, and he had even offered to carry all of their bags for them. Kagome's friends had all managed to whisper into Kagome's ears about what a good find he was and how they were all going to consider signing up for summer school.
 
Kagome stood unmoving as Hiroshi's words rang in her ears. I did have fun today. It was right to have fun today. I belong here, not five hundred years in the past. But if she never went back, if she stayed here for the rest of her life, that meant…
 
He died way back then.
 
The thought wouldn't sink in. Something told her it must be true, that even as a hanyou he couldn't have survived to this time, but another part of her just wouldn't believe it. As long as the well was open, even if she never went through it, he was alive. Dead…dead…are you so weak InuYasha?
 
Kagome shook her head, unable to believe anything, and turned around. She gasped at the gaunt figure behind her, who was staring at her with the more intensity than she thought she could bear.
 
“InuYasha.”
Tttttttttttttttttttttt
Ttttttttttttttttttttttttt
AN: I do not own the rights to InuYasha.