InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Seeing Truth ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Here's the new chapter and I hope you enjoy it. Thanks to those who have reviewed and to my beta. If anyone is curious the song I was thinking of when I wrote the beginning was Ever the Same by Rob Thomas. I am also so excited to see that email notifications are back. Anyway here we go...

~ * ~

Ever the Same by Rob Thomas

We would stand in the wind
We were free like water
Flowing down
Under the warmth of the sun
Now it's cold and we're scared
And we've both been shaken
Look at us
Man, this doesn't need to be the end

You may need me there
To carry all your weight
But you're no burden I assure
You tide me over
With a warmth I'll not forget
But I can only give you love

Full version found at http://www.fatlyrics.com/lyrics/1015/Rob_Thomas/Ever_The_Same




~ * ~

The next morning true to her word Asami stopped and bought paper, pens and what she called workbooks to teach him with. He really made an effort to talk to Kagome's mother and to try and not be so defensive around her. After they stopped for lunch she turned on the radio.

The lyrics really spoke to him. They reminded him of Kagome.

“I haven’t been very nice to her.” InuYasha said softly when the song ended. “I’ve done things just to hurt her.”

Asami glanced at InuYasha his head was down. “We’ve all done things, foolish, hurtful things, that we have regretted later.” she said. “No one is perfect. She’ll forgive you. You only have to ask. Kagome is not one to hold on to the bad things. It’s what makes her so special. She wants so much to see the good in everyone, but you know that don’t you?”

“Has Kagome ever told you what happens when I get badly injured and I don’t have my sword?” he asked.

“Kagome doesn’t tell me much about your quest.” Asami replied. “She tells me about all of you, but not of what you face. I know it is because she doesn’t want me to worry.”

InuYasha felt compelled to tell Kagome’s mother about just what she was risking when she trusted Kagome with him, about the darkest parts of himself. He knew that even if Kagome could forgive him, he would have no right to ask her family to allow her to be with him if they didn’t truly know what he was, or at least what he was capable of becoming.

This human woman, who had welcomed him, without question; Him a hanyou who had come from the past to take her daughter into a world of dangerous youkai, deserved to be told everything even if it meant Kagome could never be more to him than she was now. He owed that to her for her kindness and for her acceptance.

InuYasha sighed. “I change. My demon blood over powers my human soul.” he admitted quietly. “I slaughtered a group of bandits as they begged for their lives and I don’t even remember. When my brother knocked me out she shielded me with her body to keep him from killing me, even after what I had done. Kagome didn’t hold it against me, even when I held it against myself.

“I changed again a short while before we battled Naraku. We were trapped in the belly of a stone ogre that Naraku brought to life. As it came alive the acid of its stomach threatened to kill us. I had to try and merge a jewel shard into my sword so that I would have enough power to get us out. The shard though started to corrupt me making me change. Kagome ignored the acid as it burned her. She ignored the fact that I could have killed her. She put her arms around me and her aura purified both me and the shard. I retained my full demon strength but I was myself. She saved us. She saved me. She held onto me as acid burned her legs and allowed me to free us. I carried her back to the village and later she said she didn’t mind that she had gotten hurt because it was worth it to be with me.

“After everything she had done for me, all that she has sacrificed, how can I ask her to forgive me? I don’t deserve to be forgiven.”

Asami was shocked to say the least. She never imagined such things were possible, but did note one thing. Even in a state where he was unconscious of his actions he still had never brought harm to her daughter, not really. She didn’t doubt that had there been any other way InuYasha would not have allowed her to stand in the acid and more importantly than anything else was that Kagome trusted InuYasha and was certain that he would never hurt her.

“Nothing you have spoken of makes you unworthy of forgiveness.” Asami told him.

“There are some things that aren’t meant to be forgiven.” he replied. “There were times Kagome could have been killed because I left her alone.”

“You’re talking about Kikyou.” she said. He nodded. “She never blamed you, you know. It hurt her, but she always respected that you owed a debt to Kikyou. Just because she didn’t agree that the debt extended to giving up your life, doesn’t mean that she didn’t understand. Guilt can really weigh heavily on a person’s heart, make them do things they wouldn’t normally do, for the sake of redemption. Part of her feelings for you comes from the fact that you valued your past with Kikyou so much, that you were able to forgive her once you knew of Naraku’s deception.”

“How does she feel about me?” he asked.

“I think you already know.” Asami replied. “Things you have faced just make it hard for you to accept and what’s more I think you feel the same way about her.” The hanyou blushed but didn’t deny it.

~ * ~

Soft footsteps reached her senses. They were not the shuffling steps of the old man or the confident steps of the many that cared for her, but the light, tentative steps of the young boy; The one who spent the least amount of time with her but always managed to sound the most cheerful.

“Hey sis.” He said. “I can’t wait until mom gets back with InuYasha.”

The girl could have cheered but settled for doing the only thing she had so far been able to do and squeezed the boy’s hand to let him know that she was listening.

The boy laughed. “I knew it sis. I knew you were going to be all right. As soon as mom told me that talking about InuYasha seemed to reach you, wherever you are, I knew.

"Do you remember the time I asked InuYasha for love advice? I was such a kid back then. He was really great about though. Both of you were. The way you cheered me on and gave me the courage I needed to tell Hitomi that I liked her. I never told you... I was too embarrassed, but we kissed. Of course that was like forever ago and we’re not together anymore but we’re still friends.

“I know there’s something, between you and InuYasha that keeps you apart and makes you sad sometimes, but I can tell that he really cares about you. He’s going to be really upset if you never wake up. So you have to wake up for him, for all of us. We really need you sis.

“If you ever start to think that it’s too hard, or that you might as well just let go and quit trying to come back to us, don’t. You’re really important to everyone and have something important to do. There are so many people who would miss you.

“Besides you’re not half bad as far as older sisters go and I’d hate it if you weren’t around for me to annoy anymore...” The boy took a long pause and when he spoke next his voice was thick with emotion. “Come on sis, wake up.”

The girl wanted to hug this boy, her brother. She could hear it in his voice, how hard he was trying to be strong, and how sad he was. She wanted to tell him that she was trying to wake up, and that she would never give up. Though she didn’t truly know him as her brother the desire to comfort him overwhelmed her and had she been able to, she was sure that she would have cried.

She closed her mind’s eye and tried to drift off into the place where no one was sad and her company was the striking boy with those amazing golden eyes.

~ * ~

Asami not used to driving, was forced to make frequent stops and when they stopped for the night she calculated that it would take another four days to reach Kogoshima. The unlikely pair found a small restaurant and ate before retiring to their room.

The first thing Asami suggested was another reading lesson, which InuYasha was more than ready for. He knew that it was important for him not only to prove to her mother that he was intelligent and willing to work hard, but also he needed to do whatever he could to help himself fit in better in Kagome’s time, especially since he might be here a while.

InuYasha was proud of his own progress and thought he was doing well for his second lesson, and Kagome’s mother seemed to agree When his mother had tried to teach him, he had been very young and easily distracted, carrying more about playing than learning. Then with Kikyou he had pretended to be interested just to please her, but now, this time, he wanted to learn and it showed.

After the lesson she suggested that he watch some television because it could present him with a wide variety of situations without actually thrusting him into them unprepared. Asami was however careful about which channels and shows she selected since she wasn’t quite sure that the young hanyou would be prepared for or comfortable watching some of the more overtly sexual shows, especially in her presence. She herself was often shocked with what was shown on television there was no telling how he would react.

~ * ~

Just when InuYasha thought they would never reach the city that would mark their final leg of the journey by sea, they arrived. Unfortunately they would have to wait two days for the next available ship taking passengers to the island.

InuYasha was going crazy sitting the hotel room. Now that there was only a day away from Kagome, waiting two more seemed like a ridiculous waste of time. He needed to see her, to take in her scent. He didn’t realize it but he was growling softly.

“Something troubling you InuYasha?” Asami asked.

The growling ceased and InuYasha blinked. “What?”

“You seemed to be upset about something.” Asami explained with a smile. “Or are you simply offended by something the wall did to you... You were growling dear.”

“Oh... Sorry.” He muttered. “I’m just going crazy. I hate waiting. We’re so close.”

“I guess I should have expected as much.” Asami said with a laugh. “You were always rather impatient for Kagome to return to your quest. Why don’t we get out of here for a while? Maybe we can find something to get Kagome as a gift.”

InuYasha nodded and they went out into the city.

They went into several shops and occasionally InuYasha would ask a question about something he saw that he didn’t recognize. Something about the way he looked when she spoke to him told Asami that every bit of information she imparted to the hanyou was carefully being committed to memory.

He was a much more patient shopper than she expected being male. Then again she supposed that browsing stores was far more interesting to someone who had not seen many of the things within, everyday for his entire life. There was also his hanyou stamina to take into account.

Asami was surprised when InuYasha insisted on carrying anything she purchased. She didn’t know if he was being gentlemanly or if it was because of the reason Kagome had given her, that he thought her a weak human. Personally she thought it was the former, and the later was just an excuse he used so that he didn’t lose any of his rough uncaring image.

She suspected that InuYasha had far more depth than he let on to any one, except maybe her daughter. If eyes were, as they say, the windows to the soul then his ageless depths belied his boyish looks and gruff persona and revealed that there was much more to him than appearances would lead you to believe.

They ate dinner in a small restaurant and though he tried to hide it she could see just how pleased and excited InuYasha was to be able to read portions of the menu and order his own food. Even over such a short time his interaction with other people seemed to be improving and his manners as they ate were definitely improving. It was dark by the time they left the restaurant and headed back to the hotel.

InuYasha walked a little closer to Kagome’s mother out of habit and instinct. It was his nature to protect and in his time the nights were dangerous. If the older woman noticed she didn’t say anything, but InuYasha didn’t think that she did and that was fine by him. He didn’t know if she would think him foolish for his actions.

Again, out of habit, he took in all the scents and sounds around him always alert and ready to act on any threat that might present itself. He couldn’t help but think that there were too many humans in this time. They were everywhere and it was hard to distinguish one from another sometimes.

They turned a corner and with reflexes born out of necessity made possible by his youkai blood InuYasha ducked under the fist aimed at his head and spun on the would be attacker. Contrary to what everyone thought, that he simply charged into battle blindly, he did often evaluate the situation presented to him, when he had the time that is.

The first thing he noted was the number of opponents and how they were armed. Two men, each with a knife, one opposite him and the other opposite Kagome’s mother. His first act was to take all the hostile intent onto himself so he moved to shield the human woman beside him. The scent of her fear was overwhelming and he was surprised to note that it bothered him almost as much as Kagome’s fear, which had the power to make him physically ill.

“Don’t worry Higurashi-san; I’ll take care of these bastards.” He said reassuringly. “Just stay back.”

“Is that so?” The larger of the two men said. “What’s a scrawny kid like you going to do?”

“If you don’t leave right now then you’re going to find out asshole.” InuYasha growled.

The two men laughed. “Big talk, but I’ll tell you what’s really going to happen. You’re both going to give us all your money and valuables and then I’m going to have some fun with her while my partner kicks your ass.”

“You won’t fucking touch her.” InuYasha snarled.

The silent man stepped forward at the signal of his partner and faced off against InuYasha, the large blade flashing in the lamplight as he waved it around. InuYasha waited, for the man to strike first, knees bent hands out to his side as he flexed his claws.

Even though it caught him off guard as the larger man jumped at him he still managed to dodge only gaining a small cut across his cheek. The second man took his opening and plunged his knife into InuYasha and drove it up under his ribs.

Asami screamed behind him and came to his side. “Oh Kami...”

InuYasha pushed her behind him as he coughed up blood onto the ground.

“How the hell is he still on his feet?” the bastard that stabbed him asked. “That blade was nine inches straight into his lung.”

“He’s bluffing. Just 'cause he can stand don’t mean he can fight.” The leader said.

InuYasha coughed again spraying more blood onto the ground and he gave a wet laugh. He grunted as he pulled the blade out of him. He used his other hand to wipe the blood from his chin “That all you got?” He taunted.

The second man was afraid. InuYasha could smell it. He looked right into his eyes and snapped the blade of the knife into like it was nothing.

“Did you see that?” the second man asked. “How did he do that?”

InuYasha lunged forward and ignored the pain it caused as he lifted the man off the ground by his throat. His ears twitched as the other man thought to attack him from behind. InuYasha sidestepped and threw the terrified man into the wall. “Get the fuck out of here.”

“Screw this. I’m out of here Dachi. You can stay if you want but I’m not getting killed just to get however much is in her purse.” He said and he scrambled to his feet.

The leader looked at InuYasha who cracked his knuckles in response. “Last chance to run asshole, I won’t go as easy on you as I did your friend.” He growled a little for emphasis and faked a lunge that sent the man running. Only them did he press his hand over the still bleeding knife wound and lean against the wall.

Asami came over to him. “You’re bleeding so much.” She gasped. “We have to get you to a hospital.”

“Keh, this is nothing.” InuYasha scoffed which was followed by a hacking cough that expelled more blood from his injured lung.

“Nothing? You’re coughing up blood.” Asami exclaimed.

“That means I’m healing.” he explained. “The blood has to get out somehow. I’ve had worse. I’ll be healed by tomorrow.”

“Worse? What could be worse than this?” She questioned.

“Having a hand shoved through your stomach while being injected with poison for one, bastard Sesshomaru...” InuYasha told her. “If it’ll make you feel better I’ll wrap it back at the room.”

“You’re sure that you don’t need a doctor, a healer to tend to you?” Asami asked.

“Keh, nope.” He replied.

Asami relented and they walked the short distance to the hotel. InuYasha headed straight for the shower to get out of his bloody clothes and clean his wound. By the time he got out of the water he wasn’t even bleeding anymore. It still hurt to breathe which told him that his lung was still damaged but it was nothing he couldn’t deal with.

He dressed in clean clothes and stepped out of the bathroom. Kagome’s mother looked at him expectantly and he lifted his shirt just enough to show her the wound. “See it ain’t even bleeding anymore.”

“I’ve never seen anything like it.” Asami said.

InuYasha shrugged off her amazement. “My body has had a lot of practice at healing and it will take a hell of a lot more than two pathetic humans to kill me. Even Kagome wouldn’t worry about a scratch like this and that wench worries about everything.”

Asami smiled slightly at his tone when he spoke of her daughter’s concern for him. Even as he tried to pretend it annoyed him, it was more than obvious that he like the way she worried over him. It occurred to her though just how little she knew about what happened when Kagome went to the past.

What InuYasha considered nothing was a wound that could easily kill a human and she knew he wasn’t lying when he said that he had been injured more severely than he was currently. She wondered what they must face to cause him to come to such serious harm on a regular basis, if how often Kagome needed medical supplies was any indication.

While it increased her concern for the young hanyou it also made her realize that her daughter was safe with him, more so than she had realized. She wondered how many times he had been hurt in the cause of keeping Kagome from harm. One thing she had never before dared contemplate became crystal clear.

“You really would give your life for my daughter.” Asami said.

“Course I would.” he told her. “If there is ever a time she isn’t alive it’ll be because I’m dead.”

“I didn’t understand before, or maybe I did, but I just didn’t want to admit it to myself, that you were both facing such danger.” Asami said. “Thank you InuYasha for taking care of my daughter.”

InuYasha blushed and always elegant with his replies offered a weak, “Keh.”