InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ A Soul Divided ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Here it is a few days early. Just so you know Ch 15 has a lime and Ch 17 will have the long awaited lemon. I want to thank everyone who has left a review so far. I also want to say how surprised an excited I was to nominated in the 3rd Quarter of the IYFG.

That said I hope you enjoy.... And please, please review. The more reviews I get the more excited I’ll be and the more excited dog boy will get to be *wink*

Seriously I have a few chapters done and if I know you are waiting to read them then I will post them sooner rather than on my weekly schedule....

***********************

After nearly a week in her time Kagome decided she was ready to go back to the past.

InuYasha offered her his back once they were out of the well and Kagome climbed on. She held tightly to him as he ran toward the village. When he let her off his back he took her hand and they walked toward the elderly miko’s hut. He held open the mat to allow her to enter.

“Kagome welcome back.” Sango said.

“Have there been any rumors?” InuYasha asked.

“No, but someone was hanging around here yesterday.” Miroku told him. “You know who I mean.”

“Is he talking about Kikyou?” Kagome asked. “Is that why he was talking all weird like that?”

InuYasha almost laughed. “Yeah.”

“Maybe you should go look for her. She might know something.” Kagome offered.

InuYasha looked at her for a moment. “You sure?”

She nodded. “Why wouldn’t I be? I trust you.”

“All right. I won’t be gone long.” InuYasha replied and he took off.

“Kagome what have you been told about Kikyou exactly?” Sango asked cautiously.

“He told me all about how they used to be together and how an evil witch resurrected her.” Kagome said. “He also admitted that there were times when he left me in danger to go see her and that he used to hurt me by comparing me to her. He told me how I left once after I saw them together and that you all told him to break things off with me, but I came back on my own and chose to stay with him.”

“I know in the past he hurt me because of his guilt and confusion related to her, but he didn’t mean to. Like I told him, it’s hard to be upset over things you can’t remember. When Kikyou came to me in my dream she told me that I won’t ever get the memories of her back so that I don’t have to live with the shadow of her over my heart. InuYasha won’t do anything with her that I have to worry about. He isn’t going to hell with her and he isn’t in love with her anymore either.”

“I must say I’m surprised he revealed all that to you.” Miroku offered. “Especially if you won’t remember.”

“Why?” Kagome asked. “He’s an honorable man. You should know that.”

“You’re right of course.” Miroku conceded.

~ * ~

InuYasha returned close to an hour later. He stepped inside and Kagome looked up at him. “Did you find her?”

“No, her scent was at least half a day old.” he replied. “If she has something to say she’ll be back.”

Kagome smiled when he sat right beside her and he noticed. After a few moments when everyone was absorbed in a conversation he reached over and took her hand. A gentle squeeze was all the indication she gave that she had noticed, so that she wouldn’t draw attention to them, but it was no use.

Sango was the first to notice. She trailed off in the middle of a sentence. That of course made everyone else curious and soon all eyes were on him and Kagome. InuYasha pulled his hand away and crossed his arms. He closed his eyes so he could pretend that no one was looking at him.

Kagome to her credit acted like nothing had happened and picked the conversation right back up. “InuYasha told me that there are hot springs nearby that we can bathe in.”

“That’s right.” Sango said catching on to Kagome’s pleading look. “If you like we can go to them anytime.”

“Would you like to go now?” Kagome asked. “It could be a good chance for us to get to know one another again.”

“That would be nice.” Sango replied. “Let’s go.”

Kagome was a little embarrassed getting undressed around Sango since she didn’t know her very well, but once she was in the water that didn’t matter. It felt wonderful.

“Kagome may I ask you something?” Sango asked.

“Sure.” Kagome replied. “How else will we get to know each other?”

“Well it is rather personal and you don’t have to answer, but InuYasha was holding your hand...” Sango said. “Are you and he together?”

Kagome blushed and smiled. “Yes. We have been since he told me the whole story of our adventures together when we got back to my family’s home. We were sort of together before that, but he didn’t want things to change between us until he had told me about Kikyou. I can talk to you right? You won’t tell anyone what I tell you?”

“Of course not Kagome.” Sango assured her. “Even if you don’t remember me yet, you are still my best friend and I would never betray your confidence.”

“Mama talked to me about InuYasha, about how he was before I was hurt.” Kagome said. “I don’t know that InuYasha, not yet anyway. The InuYasha I know is the one who told me I was beautiful when I had no hair and huge scar on the side of my face, the one who cut off all his hair so that my mother could get me a wig made to give me more confidence until my hair grew back. He’s different now, at least when he’s in my time. Here it’s hard for him, but there he holds me and kisses me and laughs a lot.”

“Kagome...” Sango started.

“I know it’s hard to believe. Mama told me how defensive he used to be, that he was distrustful, arrogant, and rude, but Mama and I both think that what happened to me happened for him, for us. I had a nurse who was supposed to feed me until I could feed myself and she shoved the food down my throat as fast as she could. InuYasha stopped her and from that day until I could hold the utensils on my own he fed me.” Kagome told her. “He helped me walk to the bathroom and took part in my physical therapy, stretching my muscles and supporting me as I practiced walking again, encouraging me to try a little harder, not to give up. He shared stories of his childhood and he was there for me when one of the men who worked at the hospital hurt me.”

“Hurt you? How?” Sango asked. “I thought a hospital was a place of healing.”

“It is. Did you understand what I mean by physical therapy?” Kagome asked.

“Sort of. I assumed you meant that after being in bed so long that you needed help to regain your strength, like a training regimen.” Sango replied.

“That’s it exactly.” Kagome told her. “There was man who was supposed to be helping me. Right away I had a bad feeling about him but I kept it to myself. He thought I couldn’t talk and so he started touching me inappropriately, more so than Miroku does to you. At first I didn’t know if what he was doing was wrong, but one day he said things like how good I looked and that he was going to give me what I wanted. I couldn’t take it anymore so I told InuYasha and he nearly tore apart my room. He held me and told mama and promised that no one would ever hurt me again. He made sure that I never had to be alone with anyone in the hospital again.”

“That’s terrible Kagome. I’m so sorry that happened. What happened to that man?” Sango asked.

“Well, mama yelled at him and slapped him, and then the police took him away. He hasn’t been convicted yet, but he’ll be in jail for a long time.” Kagome told her. “Anyway, I was going to ask if you could help me.”

“How?” Sango questioned.

“By not drawing attention to InuYasha when he does something like he did tonight.” Kagome said.

“Of course.” Sango replied.

~ * ~

InuYasha mentally counted down the seconds waiting for Miroku to speak. He got to five before the hentai monk opened his mouth. “InuYasha I have noticed that things seem different between you and the lovely Kagome. Care to elaborate?”

“No I don’t.” InuYasha replied.

“Come now.” Miroku pressed. “Being with a woman such as Kagome is nothing to be ashamed off.”

“I ain’t ashamed of her.” InuYasha spat. “It just ain’t none of your fucking business.”

“Ah so you are together now.” Miroku said.

“Damn it .” InuYasha growled. That damn monk was always tricking him into admitting things he didn’t plan on admitting.

“I did think it rather interesting that Kagome seemed sure that you would not be leaving with Kikyou and that you were no longer in love with her.” Miroku said. “Could that be because you have finally admitted you feelings to another beautiful miko?”

InuYasha cursed himself as he felt his face heat. “What of it bouzo? You got a problem with that? It ain’t none of your damn business anyway.”

“Problem, why would I have a problem? Have you forgotten who helped create the spell that conceals you?” Miroku replied. “I’m quite happy for both of you actually. It’s about time you started focusing on what is right in front of you instead of on the dead.”

~ * ~

Kagome and Sango returned and InuYasha could see Kagome trying to figure out where she should sit. She looked at him and he offered her a small nod. Kagome smiled and came to sit beside him. Once she was seated he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close so that her head was resting on his shoulder. He didn’t see any point in trying to hide their relationship since everyone already knew, or in being embarrassed since they clearly approved.

Shippou bounded over and sat in Kagome’s lap. The kit was happy to see InuYasha and Kagome getting closer. Kagome would want to go home less if InuYasha was making her happy instead of sad. The conversation turned to talk of how they would find the final shard. Kagome had very little to contribute so she closed her eyes and rested, leaning against InuYasha.

Too suddenly the hut fell silent. Kagome raised her head and opened her eyes. In the door way of the hut was a woman, the miko from her dreams and though her face was blank, her eyes appeared angry. InuYasha stiffened beside her but didn’t move away or release his hold on her.

“InuYasha I have come to speak with you many times and been unable to find you.” She said. “Where have you been? Have you forgotten the importance of our quest?”

“Of course I haven’t forgotten, but I had something more important to take care of.” InuYasha replied

“What could be more important than gathering the final shard?” Kikyou asked.

“Kagome.” InuYasha replied simply.

“You girl, you would have him forget me.” Kikyou demanded.

“It ain’t like that...” InuYasha stared.

“Silence half breed.” Kikyou ordered. “Well girl, will you not explain yourself? Have you no concept of how important it is to restore the Shikon no Tama?”

“I’m sorry.” Kagome said softly coming to her feet. “You...You are in pain every moment. You can feel no manner of peace with such a small portion of my soul, the soul that was once yours. You feel the torment of those souls that sustain you and yet you continue on when to return to the earth would be so much easier. I can see why he loved you. I can feel it when I feel the memory of who you were inside me. I don’t want him to forget you. You’re an important part of why he is the man he is today. I’m in your debt. Would you allow me to help you?”

“You are lost.” Kikyou said. “How did this happen?”

“She was in an accident.” InuYasha explained. “She almost died. She has very few memories from her life. I was gone to help her recover. We have spoken on this before. The jewel cannot be purified without her.”

“Forgive me then for jumping to conclusions, both of you.” Kikyou said.

“Give me your hand.” Kagome requested.

“What are you planning to do?” Kikyou questioned.

“Ease your pain.” Kagome replied.

Kagome took the undead miko’s hand in her own and closed her eyes. Suddenly souls began to flee from Kikyou’s body and InuYasha jumped to his feet set on separating his past and current loves. “Damn it Kagome what the hell are you doing?” He yelled.

Miroku intercepted him. “I do not believe it is what you think.”

“The houshi is correct.” Kikyou said as she supporting Kagome who had fallen against her. “InuYasha help me with her.”

InuYasha took Kagome from the straining priestess. “Kikyou what happened?”

“The foolish child has given me part of her soul.” Kikyou explained. “How she accomplished such a feat I cannot even begin to fathom, but she has freed me from the need to live on the souls of the dead.”

“But Kagome...will she be all right?” InuYasha asked urgently.

“She, whose soul was too large to be taken into Kanna’s mirror, can easily sustain herself on half of our soul.” Kikyou replied. “She is simply exhausted from using too much energy. I would be honored if you would trust me to prepare something that will help her recover more quickly to repay her. I must also speak with her when she wakes.”

InuYasha nodded and Kikyou smiled.

The others left InuYasha and Kikyou alone in the hut with Kagome.

“You’re sure she’s going to be all right?” InuYasha asked.

Kikyou gave him a small smile. “You truly love her do you not?” InuYasha didn’t say anything. “Do not worry about my feelings. I have long known that she would capture you heart. Just as the part of her soul that carried my memory is inside her I carry memories of her inside me. Her heart and soul are completely pure. Unlike myself she scorns not her duty, but embraces it. My relationship with you was not the reason my powers weakened. The true cause was my own hearts disdain for the life I was born to. I know now that our time passed fifty years ago and the part I had in helping you become that man you are today is enough for me to be happy. I can see that though our souls belong together we did not. She has always been the one meant for you. Now can you tell me... Do you truly love her?”

“Yes.” InuYasha replied. “She has changed me, as she changes all those around her, making them better than they were before.”

Kikyou nodded as she ran a damp cloth over Kagome’s brow. “Yes, the difference in you is plain, even more so now than when the houshi and the taijiya were with us. I was wrong to ask you to become human. I’m sorry that I did not love you as you deserved, but know that I did love you as much as I was able, and that though my wish for you was selfish, I did wish to be with you.”

“It was nobody’s fault what happened to us, except that bastard Naraku.” InuYasha said.

“I don’t suppose it is necessary for me to say this, but I no longer wish for us to journey together to hell.” Kikyou told him. “And should you be forced at any time to choose between saving me and saving her I want your promise that you will choose her with no hesitation.”

“Kikyou I can’t...” InuYasha started.

“You are a man of your word and I must have that from you in this.” Kikyou interrupted. “My time has passed. Now I live on only to see the Shikon no Tama restored and in the hands of its new protector. I will work to that end, but should this body be destroyed in the task I know you will continue on. She is still alive and with her you can find the happiness you deserve. Promise me that you will protect her above all others, even me.”

“I promise.” InuYasha said at last. “But that don’t mean you should go off and try and get yourself killed, or that I won’t still keep trying to protect you as long as it don’t put Kagome in danger.”

“From you InuYasha I would expect no less.” Kikyou said with a smile.

Kagome started to stir and InuYasha brushed the hair back off her face. “Kagome.”

“InuYasha.” Kagome said softly. “Did it work?”

“Yes.” Kikyou answered. “And I thank you. It has been a long time since I have know any measure of peace.”

“I’m glad it did. I didn’t really know what I was doing, but no one should have to be in pain all the time.” Kagome said. “And I’m sorry for whatever I may have said or done in the past to make things more difficult for you or that lead you to believe that it was my intention to make InuYasha forget about you. Even though I can’t remember I know I wouldn’t have wanted to do that.”

Kikyou shook her head. “You owe me no apologies. I was for a long time jealous of you and the time you spent with InuYasha, and I sought to harm you because of it and in spite of all that I did to you, you saved my life on several occasions. I want you to know that I wish you both much happiness with each other.”

“Thank you.” Kagome said.

“InuYasha would you leave us for a moment?” Kikyou asked.

InuYasha nodded and went outside.

“Now then. I wish to tell you of my plans. Should I live past the completion of the jewel it is my intention to return to you this half of your soul that I carry inside me.” Kikyou told her. “Within you I will be at peace and that is as it should be. I tell you only because InuYasha would not wish to accept this as necessary. I will depend on you to help him accept my departure from life once again.”

“Of course I will.” Kagome assured her.

“I will leave you now. I must go in search the remaining shard.” Kikyou told her. “I will return again when I have found something to aid us in our goal.”

Once Kikyou was gone InuYasha returned. “How are you?” He asked. He sat down beside her and pulled her into his lap.

“I’m fine.” Kagome replied. “Better now actually, now that you’re holding me.”

“I’m sorry Kagome.” he said quietly.

“What for?” she asked.

“For thinking that you would actually have harmed Kikyou.” he told her. “I should have known that you wouldn’t do anything like that.”

“It’s all right.” Kagome said. “I guess it probably looked like I was hurting her for you to think that.”

“I was worried about you too.” He admitted.

She smiled. “I know and I’m sorry for worrying you. I suppose you and she talked while I was asleep.”

He nodded. “We talked about us and what happened, but you don’t have to worry. I’ll never forget Kikyou, but the only one I want to be with is you.”

“I’m not worried.” She assured him. “I know she’ll always have a place in your heart. I wouldn’t want it to be otherwise. But I also know that doesn’t mean you love me any less because of it, or that I have to compete with her.”

“Do you need anything?” InuYasha asked.

“I could really use a kiss right now.” she replied. “If it’s not too much trouble that is.”

“Keh, don’t be stupid.” InuYasha leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. His tongue brushed across her lower lip and she parted them so that he could kiss her more fully.

When he pulled away she brushed her fingers over his lips. “I love you. You know that right? I mean I really love you exactly as you are. There isn’t a single thing I would change about you even if I could.”

“Yeah I know.” he replied. “Do you?”

She smiled and nodded.