InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Reunions ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Okay here is the next chapter. Only two more to go after this and if all goes well the next will be up Wednesday or Thursday with teh epilogue posted on Saturday or Sunday. Then I will be taking a couple of days off and posting chapter 5 of Unfettered on the following Wednesday.

I appriciate all those who have reviewed so far and please feel free to do so again. Here we go and I hope you enjoy
.

~ * ~

Kagome was in no mood to see more doctors, or any one else besides her mother or InuYasha, so when the hospital psychologist came in she was less than cooperative.

“Hello Higurashi-san, may I call you Kagome.” She asked kindly.

“No. You may call Taisho-san.” Kagome spat. “I prefer to be addressed by my married name, thank you.”

The woman paused in her writing and looked at Kagome. “Taisho, you said?”

“That’s right.” Kagome told her. “My husband’s name is Taisho InuYasha. We were married several weeks ago and I don’t very much appreciate not being allowed to see him. For the last time, he didn’t hit me and he never would. So, you can do your evaluation or whatever, but that won’t change the truth. InuYasha is a good husband and a good man. I know it might be hard for narrow minded people to believe that could be true, that being so young we could really love each other or want our babies, but we do.”

“If you’ll excuse me.” She said coming to her feet.

Kagome was left confused and staring at the door as the woman left.

Dr. Hyouken Nozomi, neko youkai, and hospital psychologist was deeply confused. Only one family was allowed to use that name, and she wondered why a girl that was part of that youkai family would be at this hospital and not the private one for their kind.

She had to find out if what the girl said was true and her first step would be to find her husband. She found it hard to believe that one of the ruling clan would go against youkai law and harm his mate in such a way.

Dr. Hyouken looked in the waiting room to find a man and a woman sitting together speaking quietly. It was hard to tell if this man could be related to the Inu no Taisho since he was undoubtedly wearing concealment spell if he was in fact youkai. Then she heard it, a soft growl.

“You’ve been with my wife.” He said.

Yes, he had to be youkai or else he would have had no way to know that. “Are you Taisho InuYasha?”

“What of it?” InuYasha asked. “Can I see her yet or not?”

“If I said the name Sesshomaru-sama, would it mean anything to you?” Dr Hyouken asked.

“What’s my bastard of a brother have to do with anything?” InuYasha demanded. “Wait a minute. You... You’re a fucking youkai aren’t you.”

“Please keep your voice down.” She hissed.

“Then you know it wasn’t me who hurt her.” InuYasha said. “Now you can tell those bastards that Kagome is fine and we can get the hell out of here. Maybe I should call Sesshomaru. He’s still the Inu no Taisho, right? I bet he’d want to know that you were claiming a member of his family would do something as low as striking his pregnant mate.”

Now she might not have had an inu nose, but she could tell his threat was a sincere one. “That won’t be necessary. I’ll take care of it. Come with me and I’ll take you to see your mate Taisho-sama.”

InuYasha snorted and followed the woman down the hall. Apparently Sesshomaru was still feared and respected by other youkai. Maybe being related to the arrogant ass wasn’t such a bad thing after all, since it was allowing him to see Kagome. The whole Inu no Taisho thing had been a guess, but he had figured that his brother would never give up the title his father had held.
Kagome looked up when the door opened. She nearly jumped out of the bed when she saw that it was InuYasha. In fact she would have if he hadn’t been at her side almost faster than she could see. She hugged him tightly.

“I tried to tell them.” She said. “They think you hurt me. I promise I told them it wasn’t you but-”

“I know.” He soothed. “It’s okay now. I’m just glad you and the pup are all right.”

She pulled away and looked at him, smiling. “I have to tell you something. When they checked on the baby... InuYasha, there’s two. We’re having twins.”

He cocked his head to the side very much like a dog and Kagome giggled. “Two pups?”

She nodded and he grinned. “I heard our babies, alive and inside me. I heard their hearts beating.” Kagome told him. “I wish you had been with me.”

He took her hand. “Me too. I’m sorry this happened koibito.”

“At least one good thing came of it.” Kagome offered. “We found out that we’ve been blessed twice and I for one hope they both look just like you.”

“Keh, you just want to play with their ears, crazy wench.” InuYasha scoffed, in spite of the amusement and pride shining in his eyes.

“I think you’re just jealous.” Kagome told him, reaching up and finding one even with the spell hiding them from her eyes. “You don’t want them cutting in on your ear rubbing time.”

“I’d much rather you rub-” He began only to be cut off by Kagome’s scandalized gasp as she tugged his ear. He laughed.

“You have been spending way too much time with Miroku.” Kagome said. Then she lifted a finger to her chin and taped it several times. “Even still... I’ll see what I can think of to finish that thought later at home.”

InuYasha growled softly. “That a promise?”

“Only if you promise to do the same.” She replied with pink cheeks and a shy smile.

“Deal.” He whispered capturing her lips in a gentle kiss, which ended with him running his tongue over the small cut several times to help it heal more quickly.

~ * ~

“So, when are we going back to look for the last shard?” Kagome asked as she toyed with his rosary.

“We don’t.” InuYasha replied, mentally preparing himself for the argument that he was about to start.

“But… I thought you wanted to find it before the babies come.” Kagome tried.

“I do and I will.” InuYasha told her. “What I meant was that you’re not coming with me. I want you to stay here where you‘ll be safe, where you and the pups will be safe.”

Kagome sat up in bed. “You aren’t leaving me here.”

InuYasha sighed and got out of bed. He quickly pulled on his pants. “Yes I am. I’ll find Kikyou and she can help me find the last shard. Once it’s done I’ll be back and I won’t have to leave you again.”
Kagome looked away from him. “Maybe you just want to be with her more than you want to be with me.”

“Damn it Kagome.” InuYasha growled. “Do you really think I want to do this, that I want to spend even a single night without you? I don’t. I fucking hate that it has to be like this, that you have to suffer because of what I am, but I won’t risk you or the pups for anything, and after what happened I at least thought you’d be reasonable about this.”

InuYasha sat behind Kagome on the bed and was relieved that she didn’t move away as he wrapped his arms around her. “If something happened to you… Fuck Kagome, I’d die without you.”

“I’m sorry.” Kagome whispered. “What I said… that wasn’t fair, and you’re right. This shouldn’t be about what I want. It’s my fault. I asked you to take of the spell and now I have to live with the consequences.”

InuYasha nuzzled her neck. “I’m not doing this to punish you, koibito.”

“I know.” Kagome admitted. “That’s not what I meant... I just… I just don’t want to be without you. What if something happens to you? I’d never even know.”

“Nothing is going to happen to me. You think I’d let myself get killed when I have you and our pups here waiting for me, that I‘d even think of dying when I finally have a reason to live?” InuYasha asked. “Would it make you feel better if I try to find Sesshomaru and ask him to get word to you if he hears that something has happened to me?”

“You’d do that?” Kagome questioned turning in his arms so she could look at him. InuYasha nodded. “Okay… Can we talk about something else too, something I want, if I agree to stay?”

“Go ahead.” InuYasha urged.

“You said you would be gone until you found the shard, but who knows how long that could be.” Kagome began. “I want you to promise me that you’ll come back each week and visit me even if it’s only for a little while, and that when I reach my last month, if you haven’t found it by then that you’ll stay with me until the babies are born before you start looking again.”

“Kagome. I’ll never be able to find it coming back after only seven days.” InuYasha told her. “I can agree to the other part but it will have to be once a month. I will come stay with you on my human nights, so you won’t have to worry.”

“Please InuYasha a week would seem like forever, but a whole month. Can’t we compromise?” Kagome pleaded. “How about twice a month?””

InuYasha considered it. “Twice a month, but you have to promise not to panic or get upset if I am a day or two late in coming.”

“I promise.” Kagome agreed.

InuYasha lay down and pulled Kagome down with him. He held her close and kissed her hair. It wasn’t long before she was sleeping peacefully in his arms.

~ * ~

InuYasha remained in the modern era with his mate until the new moon had passed, so that he could use the cycle of the moon to tell him when it was time to return for a visit, and so he would always be due to come back to her when he was mortal.

He admired his mate’s courage as she stood by the well obviously very upset but holding back her tears. The hanyou had no doubt that she was doing it for him, so that he wouldn’t feel even more guilty for leaving her behind, even if it was only to protect her.

Kagome stepped forward into his arms and hugged him tightly. “You will be careful?”

Instead of his usual blustering InuYasha smoothed his mate’s hair. “I promise.”

Satisfied that he was sincere Kagome lifted her head and raised herself onto her toes. She was met half way by her hanyou and they shared a long, tender kiss. “I’ll miss you and I love you.”

InuYasha cupped her cheek and smirked. “I love you too, wench. Try not to get into too much trouble while I’m gone.”

His mate to his relief actually managed a small laugh that didn’t sound forced and he knew that she was going to be okay. There weren’t words for how much he was going to miss her. He was going to find Kikyou and then together they would find the final shard as quickly as possible, so he could return to his beautiful Kagome.

“You’re lucky I love you dog boy. Now hurry up and go, so you can come back to me that much sooner.” Kagome told him.

InuYasha kissed her once quickly and then jumped into the well. Soft blue light engulfed him and a deep longing bloomed in his heart.

Kagome turned from the well as the light faded and forced herself to take several deep breaths. She would trust him to keep his promise to her, and she would try her best not to cry. Well, not to spend too much time crying anyway. She suspected that as long as she kept herself busy then she would be okay, that it was going to be when she went to bed at night that she would be unable to keep herself from her tears and her fear.

~ * ~

Out of the well InuYasha’s first stop was the village and the hut of the elderly miko, to ask if Kikyou had perhaps stopped by to bring a shard rumor. Unfortunately luck was not on his side and the miko had not been seen since she last visited shortly after Kagome returned to them.

Briefly he looked in on Miroku and Sango, and allowed himself a little time to aid the taijiya and the monk by adding stock to their wood pile and catching some small game that could be dried and stored, since he knew that Miroku had little experience with such things and that Sango would need meat now that she was growing larger.

He even took the kid with him, figuring that it couldn’t hurt to teach him a thing or two so that he would be able to contribute to the household. The hanyou reasoned it to himself that he was simply aiding his friends, but deep down he wasn’t looking forward to his first stop upon leaving the village.

While his last encounter and future ones with his brother had been bearable if not exactly pleasant, he still wasn’t comfortable seeking the youkai out, especially not to ask him for a favor, but he had promised. Even with his stalling it was barely midday when he headed into the west.

~ * ~

It took him two days to track down his brother. InuYasha slowed to a stop several feet from the stoic youkai who was looking out into the distance while his ward chased the annoying green imp around in circles with a ring of flowers intent on placing it on his head.

InuYasha laughed as the girl pounced on the small youkai and pinned him to the ground. He was surprised to note the small upturn of his brother’s lips when the youkai turned his head at his servant’s pleas for help.
“Sesshomaru-sama, make this unseemly girl leave me be.” Jaken cried. “Please help your loyal servant my lord.”

“Rin, have Jaken make a fire and catch you some fish. There is a stream just through those trees.” Sesshomaru said.

“Yes my lord.” Rin said happily. She stood up. “Come on Jaken. You heard Sesshomaru-sama.”

“I take it there is a reason you sought me out little brother.” Sesshomaru said, finally turning to face him.

“I promised Kagome.” InuYasha explained. “She is staying in her time while I search for the last shard and I came to ask that if you should receive word of my death that you will seek her out in the future and tell her, so she doesn’t have to wonder what happened to me.”

“How do you hope to find the jewel shards without your miko’s sight?” The taiyoukai pressed.

“I’m going to find Kikyou and have her help me.” InuYasha replied. “Kagome... She’s pupped. We had some trouble in a village and we were worried that the pups might have been harmed. I can’t take that risk.”

“I will do as you ask.” Sesshomaru agreed after a long moment. “Though I would prefer that it not become necessary.”

“Keh, so would I.” InuYasha snorted. “I guess it would be too much to hope for that you might have come across Kikyou lately...”

“It just so happens that I scented the miko you seek several days ago, and to the north of here.” he replied.

InuYasha couldn’t help but smile. It seemed that things were actually going his way. He turned to go, but paused and looked back. “Thanks.” A nearly imperceptible nod was all he received in reply, but it was enough and InuYasha headed north.

~ * ~

Kikyou stopped at the approach of a familiar youki heading in her direction, and as she waited for the hanyou to arrive she pondered what his purpose could be in seeking her out.

“Finally.” InuYasha breathed landing several feet away. “I thought I was never going to find you.”

“Where is my reincarnation?” Kikyou asked. “She is well I hope.”

“Kagome’s fine, great really. We just got married and she’s pregnant...” InuYasha stopped realizing that he was being a little insensitive. “But you probably don’t want to hear about that-”

“On the contrary I am pleased to know that things are going so well for you both.” Kikyou interrupted.

InuYasha gave her a small nod of thanks. “Something happened... Kagome’s going to be staying in her time from now on and I need your help to find the last shard.”

“And she agreed to this, to our traveling together?” Kikyou asked, her shock evident.

“Kagome trusts me.” InuYasha stated simply.

Kikyou offered him a sad sort of smile. “Yes, she does, as I was never able to. I will aid you, though I have heard nothing in my travels of the shard’s location.”

“Thanks Kikyou.” InuYasha offered. “Before we start looking though I have to go back and see Kagome, and we should probably get some supplies. I promised Kagome I would come back after a half cycle of every moon and it took me nearly that to find you.”

“It would be good to speak with my sister once again.” Kikyou agreed.

~ * ~

The full moon was shining brightly as a miko and a hanyou walked side by side into the small shrine village. They walked together until they reached the doorway of a small hut, soft firelight illuminated their faces slightly through the gaps around the reed mat that stood as a door. No words were spoken as the hanyou took off into the forest.

InuYasha couldn’t run fast enough toward the bone eater’s well, to his mate who was on the other side. Spending time with Kikyou had made it even clearer the ways in which the two were different and their similarities in appearance had made him miss her even more.

With a grand leap he breached the rim of the dry well and sank into the swirling blue light of the time slip. He hoped that his mate was still awake, though he suspected if he found her sleeping, that he wouldn’t be able to resist waking her. At least he could be fairly confident that she wouldn’t mind.

A single bound and he was out of the well and on his way across the courtyard. He smiled as he noted that the light in Kagome’s room was still on, but before he could reach her window it darkened. That was okay though, since it meant she was ready for bed, which is exactly where he had intended for them to end up anyway. He jumped up to her window and as it slid open he could hear his mate speaking quietly.

“I wonder if you’re thinking of me too.” Kagome whispered. Her eyes were closed and a pillow was held to her chest. “I hope wherever you are that a part of you hears me and that you’re safe. I miss you and love you. Goodnight InuYasha.”

The hanyou didn’t need to ask to know that this was a nightly ritual for his beautiful Kagome. “You can’t be going to bed already, wench. I just got here.”

Kagome sat up and stared at him for a moment, almost as if she didn’t really believe what she was seeing was real, before leaping from the bed and into his arms. Their lips met roughly, bodies crushed together by InuYasha’s embrace. His mate’s gentle hands sought his ears as they continued to share fervent kisses.

“I missed you.” She muttered against his lips.

“Me too.” He replied, nuzzling her hair.

“How did it go?” Kagome asked after a long moment.

“I talked to Sesshomaru and found Kikyou. It took me a while to find her so as soon as I did we had to head back to the village.” InuYasha replied. “She’s waiting for me at Kaede’s so we can head out as soon as I go back.” He lifted her chin with his finger. “Have you been all right? You look a like you’ve lost weight. You promised...”

“You remember the doctor said it’s normal to lose a little weight at the beginning of a pregnancy.” Kagome replied. “I have been eating but I get nauseous if I eat to much at one time. I’m just glad I haven’t been throwing up. Mama said she had terrible morning sickness with me and Souta.”

“As long as you taking care of yourself...” InuYasha admonished. He paused and studied her face. She didn’t look tired, so he would trust that she was being honest. “I’m sorry I can’t be here with you, like I should.”

“Me too.” She whispered. “I get lonely sometimes, but it’s not so bad. I try to stay busy. Rin has come over a couple of times to go shopping and looking for places for us to live when we’re in this time, but I haven’t found any I want to show you yet. How long are you staying?”

InuYasha sighed. “Just tonight.”

“What?” Kagome cried stepping back. Her eyes shone with tears. “You’ve been gone so long... Why can’t you stay for a few days? I thought you missed me too.”

“You know it ain’t like that.” InuYasha tried. “I want to finish this and Kikyou’s expecting me-”

“Oh that’s right, your precious Kikyou is expecting you. I guess you really do want to be with her more than me.” Kagome spat, going from tearful to angry in a single breath.

InuYasha growled. “What the fuck? How could you even think that?”

Kagome sat on her bed and turned so that her back was to him. “I’m sorry.” She said quietly. “I didn’t mean it... Stupid pregnancy hormones, I’ve been crying during sappy commercials and I yelled at Souta for folding the towels the wrong way.”

InuYasha sat behind her and pulled her into his lap. A soothing growl spilled from him and he smoothed her hair. “It’s okay... This is hard for you, isn’t it? Harder than you said?” She nodded against his chest. “I can stay longer than tonight.”

“No... It’s all right. I’ll be all right.” Kagome told him. “I don’t want you to go, but I know that keeping you here is only going to make it take longer for you to find the jewel.”

“You sure?” InuYasha asked.

“I’m sure.” Kagome replied, and then she laughed quietly. “You know this isn’t how I envisioned us spending our time together when you came to see me.”

“Me neither wench.” InuYasha chuckled lightly.

“I guess I ruined that though, huh?” Kagome questioned looked up at her hanyou. “Why would you want to make love to me after I went all hormonal on you?”

InuYasha smirked. “I’m sure I can think of a reason.”

Kagome gasped as his hand found its way under her shirt and he gave her nipple a firm pinch. He kissed her tenderly, and their tongues brushing languidly as he continued to massage her breast. They quickly shed their clothing and fell into each other and into oblivion.