InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Twice Troubled ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: We’re entering the home stretch here, only a few chapters left to go. I want to thank everyone who has reviewed so far, and cjflutterby for beta-ing for me. I really appreciate it and I hope you enjoy.

The poem at the beginning of the chapter is one by a famous Japanese noble woman and poet named Ono no Komachi

~ * ~

In waking daylight,
Then, oh then, it can be understood;
But when I see you
Shrinking from those hostile eyes
Even in my dreams: that is misery itself
.


“It seems like we haven’t been back here in forever.” Kagome said as InuYasha set her on her feet beside the well. “I hope everyone is doing all right. Sango must be showing by now.”

“Well, you’re not going to find out standing here all day.” InuYasha offered teasingly.

Kagome stuck her tongue out at her hanyou and then headed in the direction of the village. The reached Kaede’s hut just as Sango and Miroku stepped outside, looking as though they were heading out for a journey.

“Kagome, InuYasha.” Sango cried. “It’s good to see you again.”

“You’re looking well.” Kagome replied. “Are you going somewhere?”

“Actually we were about to head to a village about a day east of here. They have been having trouble with some lesser youkai in the surrounding forest.” Miroku explained. “We have been offered a room for the night and a small fee to aid them. Sango was going to remain in the village. Why don’t you come with us?”

Kagome looked to her mate. “Keh, might as well.”

They all set out and reached the village just after nightfall and were shown to their room.

As always InuYasha was the first awake. It was by accident that he woke Kagome, but he should have known that she would notice the absence of his body next to hers. She sought him out, finding him near the edge of the village.

“Hey you.” She said quietly.

InuYasha turned and noted the bag slung over her shoulder. “Going somewhere?”

“That depends.” Kagome replied. “I was hoping my husband might know of a spring nearby that we might bathe together in, before he heads off to fight youkai without me.”

“You were huh?” InuYasha teased. Kagome nodded. “Lucky for you then that I can smell some spring water nearby.”

Kagome smiled and followed her mate off into the trees. It wasn’t far to the small pool of warm water, and it didn’t take long for them to undress and enter the spring. They spent their time washing each other occasionally one would offer the other a gentle caress. When neither could stand the sweet torture a moment longer they moved out of the water and onto the bank.

Kagome smiled at her hanyou as he lay above her. “InuYasha, do you think… Could I see the real you, please?”

InuYasha frowned, not wanting to deny her, but not willing to take that risk either. “Kagome… I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Please.” She pleaded quietly. “We’re alone and I want to make love to my mate, my hanyou mate. I won’t ask again I promise.”

InuYasha sighed and slipped off his concealment. “For you…”

“Thank you.” Kagome whispered and then captured his lips in a kiss.

~ * ~

A short heavyset man carried the bundle of wood he had gathered for his family back toward the village. He was passing near the village hot spring when he head soft moans. It wasn’t uncommon for a husband and wife, especially those with children, to sneak off into the forest for a quick coupling that wouldn’t be interrupted.

There were several comely women in the village and so he snuck closer to perhaps get a look at one them. He stopped dead at what he saw.

The woman he recognized as a member of the group of travelers that had come to slay the troublesome youkai that had been plaguing their livestock, but with her was not the man he had known to be her husband.

Instead taking her from behind like an animal was not a man but a youkai, with strange silver hair and ears like a dog. At first he thought perhaps the poor woman had been caught alone and was being savaged by this beast, but he knew that was not the case as she cried out in pleasure and begged, actually begged the foul creature not to stop his assault on her.

She was enjoying taking part in such pleasures. It was disgraceful, disgusting, an abomination against the Kami. He shuddered as the youkai cried out no doubt leaving his seed in the girl and perhaps she would even come to be with child and spawn another monster like himself.

The youkai lay over the woman panting, but suddenly lifted his head. The two unnatural ears on top of his head swiveled, seeking him out. The man turned and ran. He could not be expected to confront a youkai, but it was his duty to inform the villagers of the whore in their midst and to see that her husband was told of his wife’s shameful and unforgivable act.

“InuYasha?” Kagome asked quietly. “Is everything okay?”

“I thought I heard something.” He replied slipping free of her and moving to where their clothes lay.

Her hanyou dressed quickly and walked several feet away, into the trees. When he returned a few minutes later she was already dressed and waiting.

“Well..” Kagome prompted.

InuYasha shook his head. “Come on. Miroku and Sango are probably up by now. The bouzo and I will go take care of this youkai and then we can head back to Kaede-baba’s village.”

~ * ~

“There she is.” A man cried.

Kagome and Sango stopped walking and turned to see what the commotion was, only to find themselves being surrounded by a large group of village men brandishing tools as weapons.

“What is it you want from us?” Sango asked.

“We don’t want you, we want the whore.” One man replied.

“What are you talking about?” Sango demanded.

“I saw her with a youkai earlier this very day. We’re taking her and holding her until her husband comes so we can tell him and he can decide a fitting punishment for this filthy whore of a youkai.” Another replied.

Kagome forced herself to stay calm. He must have seen me with InuYasha. They said they are going to wait for him to come back, so I don’t have anything to worry about.

“You’re not going to touch her.” Sango said forcefully.

“It’s all right.” Kagome told her, putting a hand on her shoulder. She couldn’t let her friend risk getting into a fight.

“But-” Sango tried.

Kagome shook her head. “Find my husband.” She added a pleading look.

“Are you certain?” Sango asked.

Kagome nodded and Sango hurried off with Kirara into the woods so she could transform and they could go in search of the hanyou and the houshi.

As soon as Sango was gone Kagome was grabbed roughly both hands tied behind her back. She could feel the rope cutting into her skin. InuYasha was going to be furious if she was injured. She twisted her arms a bit in hopes of loosening her bindings.

“Trying to get away whore?.” The first man said.

Kagome didn’t even have time to flinch as he backhanded her hard across the side of her face. Unable to break her fall with her arms, her head hit the ground hard and she fought against it as her vision began to darken, but it was no use and she passed out.

~ * ~

InuYasha stopped dead beside Miroku. “Something ain’t right.”

“What do you mean?” Miroku asked.

“Kagome... We have to hurry.” InuYasha replied.

“InuYasha.” Sango called from above them just as they started to run. She landed. “InuYasha the village men have taken Kagome, claiming she was seen with a youkai this morning.”

“Shit.” InuYasha growled. “I knew it wasn’t a good idea.”

“What wasn’t?” Miroku asked.

“Kagome asked me to take off the spell this morning while we were at the spring.” InuYasha replied. “We have to get back there now.”

~ * ~

Upon entering the village they were approached by several men.

“What the hell have you done with my wife?” He demanded.

The men looked at Sango and then back at the black haired man before them. “She was seen consorting with a youkai. We have been holding her so that you might decide her punishment.”

“Take me to her now.” InuYasha growled.

The villagers thought he was anxious to punish the whore and so they gladly led him to a small hut and opened the door.

InuYasha stepped inside and it took all of his will power not to turn around and kill the men standing behind him. He could tell that they had a hand in the cruel treatment his mate had suffered. His beautiful Kagome was bound and one side of her face was swollen and her nose and lip had bled. She looked up at him with relief clearly shining in her eyes. The first thing he did was remove the ropes cutting into her wrists.

She threw her arms around him and buried her face in his neck. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“I’m sorry this happened. I should have been here.” InuYasha said quietly as he ran his fingers lightly over her cheek examining the damage.

“I’m okay and it wasn’t your fault.” She replied. “Please can we just go? I want to go see mama. I fell and I want to make sure everything is okay.”

InuYasha didn’t miss her meaningful look and he nodded. “Let’s go.”

He helped his mate to her feet and headed out the door. Sango gasped at the sight of Kagome’s face and Miroku frowned.

“What do you plan to do with the whore?” One man asked.

InuYasha could tell that this was the man who had dared to strike his Kagome so he had no qualms returning the gesture. The man fell to the ground unconscious.

“This ain’t our village and it ain’t none of your fucking business what I am going to do with her, but if I hear anyone else call her a whore I’ll kill them. Also know that if your treatment of her causes her to lose our child I will come back and destroy this entire village. Now let’s get the hell out of here.” InuYasha growled.

Away from the village by a small stream InuYasha stopped and tended to Kagome’s injuries. Sango helped him bandage her wrists.

“Kagome are you really with child?” Sango asked.

Kagome nodded. “We were going to tell everybody soon. I just-”

“You don’t have to explain.” Sango interrupted. “I do not know how it is in your time, but here most of the time only when a woman begins to show is her condition revealed. Had it not been for InuYasha knowing even before myself it would be likely that you would only just be learning that I am carrying. Congratulations, I am very happy for both of you.”

“Thank you.” Kagome told her. “I’m so excited and so is my mother. InuYasha is too, but he’d never admit it.”

Her hanyou snorted and stood up. Sango and Kagome both giggled softly at his blush, but made no comment. Kagome took her hanyou’s offered hand.

“What is the plan?” Miroku asked.

“We’re going back to the well.” InuYasha replied.

“I want to go to a doctor so they can make sure it didn’t hurt the baby when I fell.” Kagome elaborated.

~ * ~

InuYasha and Kagome entered through the kitchen shoji. Her mother turned and a gasp escaped her. “What happened?”

“It’s nothing really mama. A misunderstanding.” Kagome offered. “But I did fall and would like to go the hospital to make sure the baby is all right.”

“Of course.” Asami agreed, willing to let the issue drop for now, since it was far more important to make sure all was well with her grandchild.

It took about fifteen minutes to get to the hospital and while her mother gave Kagome’s information InuYasha followed Kagome as she was taken back to wait for the doctors.

Kagome lay on the bed and InuYasha held her hand. “Kagome, fuck, I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to protect you.”

She looked at him. “I told you this isn’t your fault. If anyone is to blame it’s me. You didn’t want to take off your rosary, but I made you.”

“Keh,” InuYasha snorted, as his cheeks darkened. “You can’t make me do anything, wench.”

“Keep telling yourself that dog boy.” Kagome giggled.

Both sobered when a man in a long white coat pushed back the curtain. He looked at Kagome and frowned. “Sir, I am going to have to ask you to leave so we can treat her.”

Two nurses joined them and one escorted InuYasha to the waiting room where he met with Kagome’s mother. He took a seat in the chair across from her.

“Now tell me what really happened to my daughter.” She said.

“Miroku and I left Kagome and Sango in a village while we went to slay a youkai.” InuYasha explained. “That morning before we left Kagome and I went to a spring... She wanted to see me, the real me. I didn’t think it was a good idea but.... She’s Kagome. I couldn’t refuse her. Someone saw us and the village men captured her because they saw her consorting with a youkai. They were holding her until her husband returned so he could punish her further. My mate was struck for cheating on me with me. How fucked up is that?”

“InuYasha.” Asami scolded gently.

“Sorry, but it is fu...messed up.” InuYasha replied. “I failed her again and what if it costs us our pup? She would have been better off never having met me.”

“I doubt that she feels that way and I know that you don’t really feel that way either.” Asami told him.

“Higurashi-san” Dr. Yamamoto said stepping into the room.

“Yes.” Asami replied coming to her feet.

“Come with me please.” He told her.

“Oi, what about me?” InuYasha asked. “She’s my wife and I want to know if she’s going to be okay.”

“Until we speak to your wife and determine whether or not it was you who caused her injuries then you won’t be permitted any contact with her.” he said.

“You think I hurt her?” InuYasha demanded. “I would never fucking hurt her. I love her.”

Asami put a hand on InuYasha’s arm. “InuYasha please calm down. I will find out how she is doing. I’m sure that this will all be straightened out. I know that you would never hurt her.”

InuYasha growled but sat down and watched Kagome’s mother leave with the bastard doctor.

“How is my daughter?” Asami asked. “Was the baby harmed?”

“Fortunately the ultrasound showed no injury to the fetuses. Your daughter is suffering from a mild concussion. With time she should fully recover.” he told her. “Now I ask you how you think your daughter received these injuries. Her file says that she gets injured quite frequently, and her boyfriend seems to have quite a temper.”

“First of all, InuYasha is my daughter’s husband, not her boyfriend, and secondly I know that he would never harm her.” Asami replied. “My Kagome has always been clumsy, getting bumps and bruises, falling on the shrine steps and out of trees. It’s something she never grew out of.”

“Very well, but she will still have to speak to a social worker. Until I am satisfied that her husband poses no threat to her, he will not be permitted to see her.” He said.

~ * ~

Kagome was in shock. She couldn’t wait to see InuYasha and tell him what the ultrasound had revealed in addition to the fact that she hadn’t been injured in her fall. She wondered what was taking so long. When the door opened she looked up with a smile expecting to see her mother and InuYasha but instead was greeted by a serious looking woman with short hair and dark, almost black eyes.

“Higurashi Kagome, I am Fugiwari Satsuki and I am here to ask you a few questions if that’s all right.” She said.

“Questions about what?” Kagome asked.

The woman sat and opened the folder in her hands across her lap. She took out a pen. “Higurashi-san, you are pregnant correct?” Kagome nodded. “How would you say the baby’s father feels about that?”

“InuYasha? He’s just as excited as I am, I guess, but I don’t see why that should matter to you.” Kagome replied, suddenly very uncomfortable with the whole situation. She was sure that she wasn’t going to like where this was going.

“You guess. I see...” Fugiwari-san said. “Would you say that your... boyfriend, gets angered easily, or that he has a bad temper?”

“He is my husband, and I want to know what you are asking me these questions for?” Kagome told her.

“Higurashi-san, how did you come to receive your injuries?” She pressed.

“You... You don’t think InuYasha hit me do you?” Kagome gasped. “He would never... If that’s what this is about then you can leave now because InuYasha didn’t hurt me.”

“I know this can be very difficult.” The social worker tried. “Most women in your situation are ashamed of the abuse they suffer at the hands of a loved one, but there is nothing to be ashamed of. Just tell the truth and we can make sure that he never hurts you again. You don’t have to be afraid of him any longer.”

“You couldn’t be more wrong.” Kagome told her. “I am not afraid of InuYasha. I could never be afraid of him because he would never hurt me. In fact the only times I have ever been afraid were times when he wasn’t with me. I would bet you anything that you can’t find a better man anywhere, or one that takes better care of his wife than he does of me.”

“If that is the case, if he takes such good care of you, then how did you come to be injured?” She asked.

“He wasn’t with me. He was at work.” Kagome replied. “It was a man who hit me, but it was not InuYasha.”

“Then surely you must want to file a police report.” Fugiwari-san offered.

Kagome shook her head. “It was a misunderstanding. I’m not worried that it will happen again. My only concern was making sure my baby wasn’t harmed, and now that I know that nothing is wrong all I want is to go home.”

The woman sighed and rose from the chair. “Very well. I cannot force you to report this incident though I would strongly advise you to. However I can recommend a psychological evaluation, to make sure that you are not endangering your unborn children.”

The social worker left and Kagome didn’t know whether to scream or to cry. The door opened again and admitted her mother. When her comforting arms were around her Kagome started to cry.

“Mama, they think InuYasha hurt me.” She said. “I told them he didn’t but they don’t believe me and this woman thinks that I need a psychological evaluation because I’m endangering our babies by not saying it was InuYasha who hit me. Why don’t they believe me?”

“Shh... It’s going to be all right.” Her mother soothed. “Kagome... You said babies and earlier the doctor...”

“Twins mama.” Kagome told her. “We’re having twins. This was supposed to be a happy day. I heard my babies’ hearts beating and I was going to tell InuYasha, but now... Please help me. I want to see him. I need him with me.”

“I’ll see what I can do dear.” Asami replied. “Two... Don’t worry Kagome. We will get this all straightened out. We’ll find some way to make then see that InuYasha would never hurt you.”

~ * ~

Asami found InuYasha pacing and growling. She put a hand on his arm. “Kagome is upset, but she’s going to be fine.”

“And the pup?” He asked.

Asami smiled a little at the term and the vision it brought to mind of adorable babies with those ears. “Unharmed as well, but we do have a small problem, and please try not to lose your temper. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is watching you.”

“What for?” He asked.

“It seems that the social worker didn’t believe Kagome when she said it wasn’t you who hit her.” Asami told him. “They aren’t going to let you see her until she under goes a psychological evaluation. They think she is endangering the baby by staying with you.”

InuYasha stiffened to the point that it looked almost painful and his knuckles were white. She couldn’t see his claws, but she could see the blood falling from his hands onto the carpet from his palms. A low growl almost too quiet to be heard rumbled from deep in his chest, and for a second she would have sworn his eyes were red. Had it been anyone else she would have been terrified.

Asami didn’t know what to do. Even with absolutely no powers to sense youki, she could tell that he was beyond furious, blood appeared from the corner of his mouth. Many times she had watched her daughter calm the young hanyou with her touch or her words, and usually a combination of both. She wasn’t Kagome, but she was a mother and he had become her son, so she did the only thing she knew to do and wrapped her arms around him hugging her to him.

Gentle hands, a mother’s hands, smoothed his hair and ran along his back as she spoke in soft tones. “It’s going to be all right, my son. We will find a way to fix this. No one will take my daughter or your child from either of you. I know you would never hurt her and she knows this as well. You can’t help her like this though. You have to calm down and we will think of something together.” She was relieved as the tension eased from his body, even if it didn’t leave completely.

“I’m okay now.” He said softly. “How could they think that? Kagome would never let anything happen to our pup.”

“That’s why you were so upset?” Asami asked in shock. “I thought it was because they think you hurt her and won’t let you see her.”

“Keh, that’s nothing more than I’m used to.” He replied. “After all my evil youkai father had to have raped my mother. No decent human woman would let such a monster touch her willingly. They can think whatever the hell they want to about me, but I’ll be damned before they say anything about Kagome. To even think she would let anything hurt our pup that’s a dishonor to everything she is.”

“I could have hoped for nothing better for Kagome than a man who loves my daughter the way you do.” Asami said quietly.