InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Revisiting the Past ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: I know this probably isn’t what you were expecting but believe me when I say it was necessary for the development of the rest of the story. As of today I have submitted everything but the epilogue to my beta and so you can expect updates to be quick in coming until the end.

Thank you for reading and your reviews. I hope you enjoy this chapter...

~ * ~

InuYasha woke with a smile, holding his mate in his arms. Today they would return to the past after two straight weeks in Kagome’s time for the wedding and something she had called a honeymoon, which InuYasha had found particularly enjoyable, since it had amounted to spending an entire week alone with his mate, most of which they spent in bed.

He inhaled deeply drawing in her scent only to find it twinged with something familiar. He took another deep breath and it came to him. Oh shit. Kagome’s pupped... Kagome she’s having my pup. A small smile turned up the corners of his lips, but after a moment it fell. What if she ain’t ready for this? We haven’t even talked about pups.

While InuYasha was lost in his thoughts Kagome stirred. She opened her eyes slowly and smiled at her mate, only to find him clearly distressed about something. “What’s wrong?” She asked thickly.

InuYasha looked at her and blinked. “Nothing.”

“No secrets mate. I know you have something on your mind.” Kagome scolded gently.

InuYasha took a deep breath and decided it would be best just to come out with it. “You’re carrying my pup.” He sat up with his legs off the side of the bed, his back to her.

Kagome just lay there in stunned silence as the news sank in. Unconsciously her hands went to her flat stomach. A pup... A baby... We’re having a baby... She looked at her hanyou’s back. Is he upset? Does he not want this baby? Tears filled her eyes.

InuYasha glanced at her before turning away again. “Fuck. I’m sorry. It ain’t like I planned it.”

Kagome cried harder. He...He doesn’t want our baby... “Are you really that upset with me? That you can’t even stand to look at me? I didn’t plan it either, but is it really that terrible, that we’re going to have a baby?”

InuYasha looked at his mate and hastily moved to take her in his arms. “Fuck. I thought you were upset that you we’re having a pup. I never wanted you to think that I was upset with you or that I wasn’t happy about it.”

Kagome sniffled and raised her head from his chest. “So, you do want our baby?”

“Keh, of course I do.” He told her. “It’s just we ain’t talked about it and I didn’t know if you were ready yet. Hell, I don’t know if I’m ready yet, but I can’t be unhappy about us having a pup. Maybe I thought it’d be after we finished the jewel, but we’ve got plenty of time before the pup comes, right?”

Kagome nodded and smiled. “Mama is going to be so excited.”

~ * ~

InuYasha watched his mate for most of the car ride back to the city. He doubted that she was even aware of the fact that her hand kept making it’s way to her flat stomach. It pleased him more than he could say that she truly was happy to be having his pup.

By the time they arrived at the shrine he could tell that his mate was practically bursting to tell Asami that she was going to be a grandmother. In fact, he found himself having to work to keep up with her as she climbed the stone steps.

The back door opened and her mother stepped outside. “Welcome back, both of you.”

Kagome finally made it to her mother and the women embraced. She glanced back at her husband to see him roll his eyes and then nod. “Mama...” Kagome began seriously. “I have something important to ask you.”

“What is it dear?” Asami prompted.

“I need to know how you would feel about being called baa-chan.” Kagome said breaking out into a brilliant smile.

InuYasha wrapped his arms around his wife from behind, placing clawed hands over hers as they rested on her stomach and grinned at the wide-eyed woman.

“You... Oh my... A baby?” Asami exclaimed. “I am going to be a grandmother? I’m so excited! I must find jii-chan and have him say a blessing and give thanks for such joyful news. Oh! Oh, congratulation both of you. So, when can I expect to meet my grandchild, and we do expect it to have those adorable ears don’t we?”

“Well, I’m only about a week along. We wouldn’t even know yet if InuYasha couldn’t tell by my scent.” Kagome replied. “As for the ears... We can hope.”

~ * ~

That evening they celebrated with her family. InuYasha didn’t know which member of her family seemed more excited about the news. After a while he left his mate with her family and stepped outside. He just needed to get away from everyone for a while and think.

It wasn’t that he wasn’t excited about the pup, or the fact that he was going to be a father, because he was. More so than he had expected himself to be. Truthfully he had never expected to have a mate, or a family of his own, so the prospect of having a pup was still very new to him, and the shock hadn’t quite worn off.

No, the thing that was getting to him was that there could be no denying that his pup, his part youkai pup was wanted More than wanted. Already his pup was loved not only by him and Kagome, but also by her family. No matter what happened to him, his mate and their child would not have to worry about finding a place where they would not only be tolerated, but also welcomed with open hearts and into loving arms.

His child would never have to face the kind of scorn he had known from his mother’s own family, and as things were InuYasha was certain that in the unlikely event that Kagome’s family could not take in their pup, Sesshomaru would do so.

“It’s a bit overwhelming, but wonderful isn’t it?” Kagome said quietly from behind him. He turned to face her. “To think that only short time from now we’ll be responsible for a new life, a part of both us that we created together out of our love.” She stepped forward and hugged him. “Already our baby is loved not just by us but by mama and Souta, and jii-chan as well.”

“How do you do that?” InuYasha asked her. “You always know exactly what I’m thinking and seem to know just what to say.”

Kagome lifted her head and waited for him to kiss her before answering. “You are my mate and I know your heart. Now, what do you say we go up to my room and celebrate privately?”

InuYasha smirked. “Did you get enough of that over the last week?”

“I’ll never get enough of you, but if you don’t want too, or if you’re tired of me already...” Kagome trailed off with a pout.

“Don’t be stupid.” He growled quietly as he nipped at her neck. “I will never tire of you, but when you can’t walk tomorrow, remember that this was your idea.”

~ * ~

It was the next morning when they finally made it to the past. They entered Kaede’s hut together and talked with the elderly miko for a short while before heading over to the home Sango and Miroku shared. Kagome and InuYasha decided together to stay with their friends a few days before heading out in search of the final shard.

When it came time for them to head out Miroku gave them some money in case they ever needed supplies or to secure a room for the night and several sutras that could be used to anchor a barrier to be used if they ran into trouble. There hadn’t been any rumors of a shard or of unusually strong youkai in their absence, so all they could do was pick a direction and hope that they came across someone along the way that could give them a lead.

Kagome glanced at her human looking mate and frowned. While she had always hated the attitude people held toward InuYasha simply because he was a hanyou, she had still enjoyed spending time on this side of the well, but as she walked beside her mate who was forced for her safety to hide his true self she wished that they hadn’t had to return here at all.

She knew that he would have to hide his hanyou nature in her era too, but at least she wouldn’t have to go days maybe even weeks without seeing the real him. No, she would have her hanyou with her every night and any time they were at home together.

Sensing his mate’s distress InuYasha stopped walking. “What’s wrong?”

Kagome sighed. “I just wish we didn’t have to do this anymore, that you didn’t have hide what you are because of the ignorance of others.”

“Kagome...” InuYasha tried.

The young miko shook her head. “I know we have to finish the jewel and I know it’s my own fault for shattering it. We should keep going. We won’t find the last shard standing here talking about how I don’t want to look for it anymore.”

The hanyou wasn’t sure that he could say anything to make her feel better since he himself felt exactly the same way, so instead he took her hand in his and started walking again.

~ * ~

Two weeks. We’ve been looking for two weeks and nothing. The young miko kicked a rock in her path and felt a strange satisfaction from the action. She looked at her mate who seemed slightly amused by her display, but he said nothing. “Someone in this village better know something, or I’ll... I’ll... Well, I don’t know what, but it won’t be pretty.”

InuYasha had to fight mightily not to laugh knowing that she would them turn her frustration onto him, and that was something to be avoided at all cost. He went to her and embraced her. “Oi, we’ll find some sign of the shard soon.” The irony of him calming her down did not escape him as he continued. “Hell, I’m surprised it hasn’t already come to us wanting the rest of the jewel.”

Kagome sighed. “I know you’re right. I’m sorry for complaining. I know it’s my own fault.”

“Don’t worry about it wench. The way I see it you own me for three years worth of complaining.” InuYasha offered.
The young miko looked up at her mate with a smile. “Okay, that does make me feel better. Let’s get to that village so we can have them tell us they don’t know anything.”

InuYasha chuckled lightly. That was his Kagome. They entered the village hopeful but still expecting to hear nothing of interest only to be met with the news that this village had been having an unusual amount of trouble with youkai. Kagome didn’t sense a shard, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t worth looking into. Maybe the youkai causing the trouble had come from somewhere else to get away from a youkai with a shard.

They headed into the forest directed by a few village men and were told to look for a large cave where they believed that the youkai dwelled.

“Damn.” InuYasha cursed.

“What is it?” Kagome questioned placing a hand on his arm.

“Just some fucking serpents. They won’t be able to tell us shit, but we’re going to have to kill them anyway since they know we’re here.” He replied.

Kagome frowned. “How do you know that?”

“Because I can smell the bastards surrounding us.” He said as he grabbed her.

InuYasha leapt into the arm with Kagome and then set her on her feet. In a fluid motion he spun and raked his claws through the first of the attacking youkai. Kagome threw down her bag and readied her bow. While InuYasha began destroying the lesser youkai with his claws she fired an arrow into a small group.

“Fuck!” InuYasha cried. “Kagome turn around!”

The young miko spun and released her arrow striking one of the filthy snakes in the head and purifying it in a burst of light. When she turned again it was to find InuYasha being held by several of the beasts. Both his arms were wrapped and there was another around his waist and around each leg. He was growling fiercely and trying to break free.

“Set a barrier.” Her mate commanded not ceasing his struggle. Instead of obeying Kagome took a step in his direction intent on helping him. “Damn it Kagome, set the fucking barrier.” InuYasha yelled.

“I-” Kagome began.

“You can still shoot your arrows from inside.” the hanyou interrupted. “You have to protect our pup.”

The young miko chewed her bottom lip and pulled out the sutra Miroku had given her. She focused her power and then placed it on the tree next to her. A light purple barrier sprang to life around the tree. As soon as it was done she drew back an arrow and fired.

InuYasha’s eyes widened at the arrow headed straight for him. He winced as the spiritual energy around it burned his cheek. Behind him though he heard a shriek of agony and realized that Kagome had taken out one of the serpents intent on striking him from behind.

He tore one arm free from the jaws that were holding him and spun with a fierce cry. “Sankontessou!”

Quickly he drew the Testsusaiga as another group of the snake like youkai poured out of the cave and headed for them. Kagome released another arrow and he timed his attack to strike with hers. Wind swirled around the blade and he unleashed the kazo no kizo with a yell.

The dust settled and the mass of youkai was gone. He waited for more to come, prepared to attack if necessary. Several moments passed and he finally relaxed letting the giant fang rest against the earth and looked to his mate.

“Oi wench, did you have to come so close with that first shot?” He teased.

“I didn’t even nick you.” Kagome replied with a smile.

InuYasha was grinning at her when her expression changed drastically and she fumbled for an arrow. He spun just in time to take a pair of giant fangs through his chest and abdomen. Somewhere far away he heard Kagome screaming. Tetsusaiga was wrenched from his hand and fell untransformed to the earth beneath him. It was hard to breath and InuYasha was certain that one of the fangs had pierced a lung.

Kagome fired her arrow praying that when it struck the youkai it wouldn’t purify her mate as well since with his injuries he would need his youkai blood to survive.

The inu youkai could feel the spiritual power coming towards him and he struck out with his deadly claws. As the jaws holding him flew open and his body fell he flipped backwards and landed in a crouch. A dark laugh welled up inside him as he watched the youkai that had thought to kill him turn to dust.

Any death pleased him though he would have liked to have gotten more blood on his claws. That didn’t matter though, there was still the miko to be dealt with and he had seen her power. She would be more than enough of a challenge to sate his lust for blood and if she were attractive enough perhaps for other things as well.

Kagome pulled down the sutra. “InuYasha!” She cried.

The youkai lifted his head and he heard the miko gasp. Her scent wafted towards him and a dark smile lit his features. She was more than attractive and her scent stirred the other beast raging inside him, as blood rushed to his loins. He had already been aroused a the thought of killing such a powerful miko, but now he was mad with desire and the thought of how much he was going to enjoy playing with her, making her scream, before he killed her.

Kagome stared into the red eyes of InuYasha transformed, the concealment not powerful enough to hide a full youkai and slowly walked toward him. She had to get closer. Not only was his sword lying at his feet, but she knew that running or showing fear would only make things worse. Besides that she couldn’t be afraid of him, not really. Her heart told her that he would never hurt her.

The youkai growled as the miko approached. She didn’t fear him. His instincts told him that it was because she was over confident in her power and that it would be her downfall. Another part of him though was trying to tell him something different, that he shouldn’t hurt this frail looking woman. He forced that voice away and waited for her to draw close enough for him to strike her down.

She was only a few feet away when another scent reached him. This miko was with child, and not just any child but the child of a youkai. He laughed darkly. So the miko was a youkai’s whore. Then no doubt she was going to enjoy at least some of what he was going to do to her.

“InuYasha.” Kagome said gently. “Please pick up your sword.”

The youkai looked at the rusty katana between his feet and dismissed it. He had no use for a sword. He sprang forward and grabbed the miko who cried out in surprise, but didn’t fight. InuYasha buried his face against her neck and breathed deeply before letting his fangs nick her skin. A shudder coursed through him as he tasted the power of her blood and her scent became tinged with desire. She was extremely powerful and again the voice demanding that he not harm her returned, stronger than before.

“InuYasha, my mate, I’m not afraid of you. Please, you have to fight it. You have to change back into my beautiful hanyou.” Kagome tried. “I love you, please...” The youkai lifted his head and the human woman loosened his clothing and ran her fingers over his chest. “Mine.” She whispered and then opened her own kimono to reveal his name. “Yours.”

The miko was his mate and that was why she had destroyed the serpent youkai. She had been protecting him. She was carrying his pup. Slowly the red haze in his mind and the lust for blood receded. InuYasha was still more youkai than human but he was now in more control of himself. “Mate.”

“That’s right.” Kagome agreed. She stepped around him slowly and picked up the Tetsusaiga. The young woman held it out to the youkai and waited.

As soon as his hand closed around the hilt his eyes cleared becoming their normal color and the stripes faded from his cheeks. “Kagome?”

She smiled at him. “I told you that you would never hurt me. Now I get to take the spell off the rosary.”

Kagome didn’t wait for him to protest or to agree. She took the rosary in her hand and changed the spell just as she had before, so that now the word would simply cause him to be wrapped in the warmth of her power like a tender caress.

The hanyou sank to his knees, and Kagome gasped. She ran to get her bag. InuYasha was still seriously injured. She tended his wounds with speed and efficiency born from years of practice. Once she was done he tried to sit up only to be pushed back down onto the ground.

“You need time to heal.” Kagome admonished.

“We can’t stay here. It ain’t safe with the jewel and scavengers will be coming for the bodies.” He reminded her.

“Fine. We’ll move away from the remains, but then we are stopping so you can rest. I have Miroku’s sutra and I can make a barrier so you don’t have to worry about protecting me and you can get some sleep.” Kagome said firmly.

InuYasha knew it would be pointless to argue with his mate and even though he would never admit it, he was in a lot of pain from his injuries and did need to rest and recover.

Once they were far enough away that InuYasha could no longer smell what was left of the nest of serpent youkai and they had come across a suitable area they stopped for the night. Kagome gathered wood for a fire and then set the barrier that would protect them. She then set about fixing the last three cups of ramen in her bag. Two were given to her hanyou mate and she ate the third one herself and then they settled in for the night.

~ * ~

InuYasha was feeling much better the following morning but it would still be slow going for several days while he finished healing. Since they were nearly out of supplies and money, the couple decided to call an end to their fruitless search temporarily and head back to the village.

Even heading directly back it still took them nearly the same amount of time to return as they had spent searching, so that when they arrived at the village they had been gone nearly a full month. The others were relieved to see them well.

Again they chose to stay for a few days with their friends before going back through the well for supplies and to take a break after their long journey. It was hard on them both not to be able to start their lives together as their friends were doing, and both InuYasha and Kagome could think of nothing that would make them happier to finally be done with everything having to do with the Shikon no Tama.