InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I hope you guys weren't too confused by the last chapter, if you have any questions, be sure to review.
 
Once again, I had a very busy weekend. I got the new Harry Potter book and I finished it (Too hard to put down)! It was such a good book! Okay, now that that random interruption is over, on with the chapter.
 
**********
 
Forever Yours
Chapter Eleven
 
*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*
 
Ahh, the good, old-fashioned, make-you-want-to-tear-your-hair-out-beeping-sound, Kagome thought smiling, I'll take it over a chirpy-voice-telling-me today-is-Friday, any day!
 
But then her smile faded, replaced by the thought of saving Japan from a lunatic with a nuclear bomb. Kagome sighed heavily. It wasn't enough to lose her friends but now she had to bring down the person that killed them and almost killed her. Alone.
 
It wasn't the thought of killing Naraku that had Kagome alarmed. After all, she had faced him before; she had killed him before.
 
It was the fact that this time, he had the upper hand. In any case, her friends were dead. Kuro had almost succeeded in killing her twice and, much as she wanted too, Kagome knew that she could not and would not kill him. He was a human in spite of everything.
 
“It's not like I can just shoot my sacred arrow at him and call it a day,” she muttered angrily. “Sesshoumaru is such a lazy jer - idiot!” she said, realizing what she had almost called him.
 
I only reserve that name for Inuyasha…
 
Kagome shook her head hard and stared up at the ceiling, as her mother walked by her room.
 
“Kagome! Get out of bed, you're going to be late for school!”
 
**********
 
“Kagome?”
 
Kagome snapped out of her thoughts, “Huh?”
 
Sango sighed, “This is the third time you have spaced off in the last fifteen minutes. The time for daydreaming is in class! Lunch is the time for talking until your face turns blue!”
 
Kagome chuckled, “Sorry Sango, I just have a lot on my mind.”
 
“Like what?” asked Inuyasha with his mouth full.
 
She gave him a false smile, “Nothing you need to worry about.” Just that I'm supposed to stop the evilest guy I have ever come across from destroying Japan and everyone in it…
 
“Well, I'm not convinced,” said Miroku unexpectedly, “Something is obviously troubling you Kagome. If you don't want to speak about it now, that's okay, but you want to talk to any one of us,” he said, gesturing to the other occupants of the table, “we'll listen.”
 
Kagome smiled genuinely, “Thanks Miroku.”
 
“So, didn't you say you were going to tell us about the legend,” asked Inuyasha.
 
Kagome was surprised that he remembered. Nonetheless she grinned at him.
 
“Well, a little over 500 years ago there was a lonely hanyou, who lived on his own, rejected by humans and youkai alike. One day he heard of the Shikon no Tama and its legendary powers. He wanted to use the jewel to become a full-fledged youkai. He went to the village where it was rumored to be and met the miko named Kikyo who was the miko who protected the jewel…”
 
Kagome told them about how the two of them had fallen in love and how Naraku tricked them into betraying each other. She told them about Kikyo's sacred arrow pinning the hanyou to the Goshinboku and how she died in the end. She didn't mention how a girl from the future freed the hanyou from the spell and she didn't mention the hanyou's name.
 
“We were going to write about it for our history report, but we already had other myths in there and we didn't want to overdo it,” Kagome said to Sango and Miroku.
 
“It sounds familiar, like I heard it before,” Miroku said thoughtfully.
 
Inuyasha and Sango nodded in agreement.
 
“But he must have gotten free somehow,” Inuyasha said logically, “Or else he would still be on the tree and the legend would make no sense.”
 
Kagome gave a faraway smile, “Yeah he was freed,” Then she snapped out of it, “But no one is sure how he did it,” she lied.

**********
 
School was over and Kagome was in her favourite after school hangout, Wacdnalds. For once she was there alone and not with her over-enthusiastic-boyfriend-obsessed-friends. She stirred her hot fudge sundae thoughtfully.
 
Kagome sighed and for the millionth time that day, she wondered what Sesshoumaru had been thinking when he came to her with Kuro's plan.
 
“It's not fair,” she murmured. “Naraku killed my friends but Sesshoumaru gets to walk off scot-free and then show up 500 years later and tell me I have to kill him again! He's such a - ”
 
“Talking to yourself again?” asked Inuyasha.
 
Kagome looked up, “Oh hey I-Yasha,” she said hastily. “Have a seat if you're not in a hurry.”
 
“I'm not in a hurry, I'm here for a chocolate explosion sundae,” he said grinning.
 
“Why am I not surprised?” she said, laughing despite the way her stomach turned at the word explosion, “I thought you had to have five human stomachs to even eat half of that thing.”
 
“You're exaggerating Kagome,” he said, “Hang on I'm gonna go order it.”
 
Kagome watched him stride up to the counter and place his order. A few moments later he returned with a sundae that took up half of his tray.
 
“And you said I was exaggerating,” she said.
 
Inuyasha smirked, “No big deal, I'll have this finished in ten minutes tops.”
 
“Somehow I don't doubt that for a second.”
 
They fell into a comfortable silence while Kagome watched Inuyasha eat.
 
“So what was bugging you at lunch today,” Inuyasha asked unexpectedly.
 
Kagome did a double take, “What are you talking about?”
 
“Kagome, people don't stare off into space every few minutes if nothing's wrong,” he said simply.
 
“Well…have you ever had a heavy responsibility on your shoulders? Something you didn't want to do but if you avoided it there could be disastrous consequences?”
 
“No,” said Inuyasha.
 
“Shocker,” she muttered sarcastically. “Well I do.”
 
Inuyasha raised his eyebrows, “What is going on?”
 
“I can't tell you…”
 
“Why not?”
 
“I just can't.”
 
“Kagome, you know whatever it is, you don't have to do it alone. Me, Sango, Miroku…we're your friends, you can trust us.”
 
Kagome smiled at him, feeling genuinely happy for the first time since she saw Sesshoumaru.
 
“Thank you Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha shrugged uncomfortably and looked away.
 
“Keh.” He said. Then he grinned, pointing at his tray.
 
“I told you I'd finish it in ten minutes!”