InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Please Review!
 
**********
 
Forever Yours
Chapter Twelve
 
Kagome laughed, “I did say I had no doubt that you would finish that ice cream, anybody who can eat for an hour straight can handle an elephant-sized sundae without turning into an elephant!”
 
Inuyasha looked very pleased with himself.
 
Kagome checked her watch and sprang up, “Oh kami-sama! I've got to get home! I should have been there half an hour ago!”
 
She grabbed her backpack and hurried toward the door, muttering how her mom was going to think she was attacked again, when she felt a hand grip her arm.
 
“It's called a payphone, amazing invention really, you put some money in it and you can make a call to tell your mom you're gonna be there in fifteen minutes or whatever.”
 
Kagome looked to the side to see Inuyasha smirking at her, “Here.” He tossed her some money, which she clumsily caught.
 
“You don't have to -” she began, but he waved it aside.
 
“No big deal, go call her.”
 
Kagome hurried toward the payphone calling her thanks over her shoulder. When she returned to the door she was surprised to see Inuyasha still waiting for her.
 
“What?” said Inuyasha, looking defensive, “Are you stupid enough to walk home by yourself after being attacked and almost killed twice?”
 
“Yes,” she answered solemnly.
 
He clearly wasn't expecting that answer, “Keh…Well this time I'm coming with you, that bastard won't even get close.”
 
He started walking and she quickly followed.
 
Inuyasha…why are you so much like him? Will I ever understand? Who are you really?
 
“Damn, you got that look in your eye again.”
 
Kagome blinked and saw Inuyasha staring at her impatiently. “Huh?”
 
He rolled his eyes, “You're really out of it Kagome. You just stopped walking. What the hell is wrong with you?” He didn't sound mean when he said that, just curious.
 
“It's just…I'm thinking about…remember that…friend…It told you about?”
 
“The one who I remind you of?”
 
“Yes…Meeting you is like…him coming back to life,” she said, starting to walk again.
 
“Huh?”
 
“It's hard to explain, you look like him, act like him, you even have the same necklace! I never saw anybody wear that, but him…where did you get it?”
 
“What?” Her question seemed to catch him off guard.
 
“Where did you get this?” she asked, tugging on his rosary.
 
“I've had it for a long time, as long as I can remember, I don't remember where I got it.”
 
Kagome gave a disappointed sigh.
 
“Now it's my turn to ask you a question about this friend of yours…if you don't mind talking about him,” he added quickly.
 
Kagome shook her head “No, it's okay, go ahead.”
 
What is it about Inuyasha Takahashi that makes me able to think about my Inuyasha without crying? Whenever my friends asked about my “boyfriend” I never answered…
 
“How did he die?”
 
Kagome was shocked by the unexpected question, how was she going to answer it? She could hardly say that he was murdered by an evil hanyou trying to protect her from receiving the same death that he and her friends got.
 
“I…he…he was…he was murdered.”
 
Inuyasha was taken aback. “Kagome…I'm sorry…why did someone want to kill him? Did they catch the guy?”
 
She paused, “He was trying to protect me from someone who wanted to kill me and…well he died in the process. The murderer was killed on the scene.” Kagome blinked away tears; she summoned all of her willpower not to cry.
 
That is as close to the truth I have ever told anyone other than my family…
 
Inuyasha relaxed a little, “Good, that bastard deserved to die for trying to kill you…why would anyone want to kill you?”
 
“I don't really know…I think it was because I reminded him of someone he hates…”
 
Kikyo…
 
“…He wanted something that belonged to me…”
 
The jewel…
 
“…And also because he wanted to hurt Inuyasha by killing me.”
 
“I never heard anything about this on the news…when did it happen?”
 
“About a year ago. The reason you never heard about it is because it didn't happen around here.”
 
“Where did it happen?”
 
Kagome gave a dry smile, “Let's just say it takes a long time to get there.”
 
Inuyasha seemed to accept that, they walked in a comfortable silence for about a moment before Inuyasha opened his mouth again.
 
“So, this guy was your boyfriend?”
 
He's so nosy! Kagome thought. Then an idea came to her. She grinned. In a voice so quiet she herself could barely hear, she whispered, “Sit boy…”
 
The effect was what she was hoping for, Inuyasha crashed into the sidewalk.
 
“Oh Inuyasha are you okay? You really have to watch where you're going…that clumsiness of yours.”
 
**********
Kagome waited until she was safely in her house before she burst out laughing.
 
Naturally Inuyasha didn't think he was clumsy so he started arguing with her, completely forgetting about his earlier question and making the mood more comfortable. He spent the rest of the way back insisting that he was not clumsy.
 
“Yeah, yeah, whatever Inuyasha, anyways thanks for walking me home,” she had said.
 
“Keh,” he replied.
 
“See you at my story ceremony tomorrow,” she said before heading inside her house.
 
Wow, I can't believe the ceremony is tomorrow; this has been the most interesting week all year…
 
“Kagome!” her mother called. “Come in the kitchen for minute!”
 
Kagome obediently went and saw her mother looking at a piece of paper. She looked up.
 
“Oh Kagome, I was just looking at your list of people to invite to your ceremony and I notice you have four more tickets. You invited me, Sota, your grandfather, Sango, Miroku and Inuyasha but what about your other friends? Ayumi, Eri and Yuka?”
 
Kagome clapped a hand to her mouth, “Oh kami-sama! I can't believe I forgot to invite them!” She rushed to the phone and punched in a number.
 
“Hey Ayumi? It's Kagome.”
 
“Kagome? Haven't heard from you much lately, what's going on?”
 
Kagome winced, “I'm sorry about that, I've been pretty busy lately.”
 
“It's okay, Yuka and Eri are over, want to talk to them?”
 
“Could you give them a message for me? I'm calling to invite you three to come to my story award ceremony tomorrow, I know its last minute but - ”
 
“We'll be there Kagome!” She paused, “Kagome, did you invite Hojo? I mean he did try to give you a car and all.”
 
Kagome closed her eyes wearily, “Ayumi, I'm not interested in Hojo.”
 
Ayumi didn't sound surprised. “I know Kagome, I've known for a long time, but he doesn't. You have to tell him the truth as soon as possible and the best chance is tomorrow.”
 
“Ayumi, if I invite Hojo, he's gonna think this is a date or something, and that will just be leading him on.”
 
“It's up to you Kagome but I think you should tell him. Gotta go now, bye!” The line went dead.
 
Kagome thought for a minute and sighed. Then she punched in the number of the recipient of her tenth and final ticket.