InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 26

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Forever Yours
Chapter Twenty-Six
 
“I'll wake up Sango and Miroku,” Kagome said sighing.
 
Inuyasha grabbed her arm as she walked by, stopping her. “Why?”
 
Kagome was confused. “Why am I going to wake them up?” Inuyasha nodded. “You heard Kaede, we can't fight Kuro alone. Especially since you can't use the wind scar yet.”
 
Inuyasha growled softly at her words. “We don't even need to fight him. Didn't you say that the jewel grants a wish? Just wish for him to be gone or something.”
 
Kagome brought her hand to the jewel on her neck and shook her head firmly. She didn't even consider what Inuyasha had suggested. “No way. This jewel was made from a pure soul of a miko and the tainted souls of youkai. If I wished for Kuro to be gone, the jewel would recognize the wish as selfish and the youkai souls would taint it. We just have to fight Kuro the old-fashioned way.”
 
Without another word she marched over to Sango and Miroku (to Miroku's dismay, Sango had insisted on sleeping as far away from him as she could). “Rise and Shine guys, we going to be fighting Kuro a lot sooner than we originally thought.”
 
**********

“You know, Inuyasha said he's been standing out there like that all morning. Maybe if we just stay in here all day, he'll get bored and go away,” Miroku commented lightly.
 
“No way!” Inuyasha said. “That bastard is going to die today!” Recklessly, he rushed out of the cabin into the sunlight. Shaking their heads, Kagome, Sango and Miroku picked up their weapons and followed him.
 
“Ah, you finally decided to show yourselves. I thought I was going to have to stand out here all day,” Kuro said casually.
 
Inuyasha tried to charge toward him but Kagome stuck out her arm, effectively stopping him. “I…I can't believe you would let youkai posses you, just because of a petty thing like revenge,” Kagome said disbelievingly.
 
“Well, I gave my word that I would kill you and I intend to do just that,” Kuro stated calmly, “However, I might consider letting you go if you hand over the Shikon no Tama, right now.”
 
“No way,” Kagome said with a strong voice, clutching the jewel around her neck. “Besides, you don't even want it, the youkai that posses you want it.”
 
“I assure you, nobody is possessing me,” Kuro sneered, “The desire to kill you and obtain more power is mine and mine alone.” He paused. “As much as I would love boast, that was my downfall in the attic. It is an error I will not make again. Today you die Kagome Higurashi.” Without another word, he thrust out his hand, commanding the youkai around him to attack.
 
Inuyasha jumped in front of her and Tetsusaiga immediately transformed. It was because…he was protecting Kagome.
 
“Hmm, I see your friend is actually a hanyou, Kagome,” Kuro smirked arrogantly, “Too bad he won't be able to save you.”
 
Inuyasha easily made work of the smaller youkai that kept coming at Kagome. “Are you two just going to gawk all day? Make yourself useful!” he demanded.
 
Sango and Miroku snapped out of their dazes. “Sango, Miroku see if you can stop the smaller youkai,” Inuyasha said, still swinging Tetsusaiga around. “I'm going after Kuro.” Without waiting for an answer, he leaped over his small opponents and out of Kagome's line of sight.
 
Miroku's staff started to emit faint blue light. Every youkai that touched the weapon immediately disintegrated. Kagome was in awe of his spiritual power.
 
Sango was using her weapon as if she had used it all of her life. She was swinging it left, right and center with all the force she could muster. The number of dead youkai piling up around her was a good indication of her skill.
 
Kagome grinned as she launched another arrow at the wall of youkai.
 
This wasn't going to be like the last battle with Naraku. This time, nobody would die.

“Oh kami-sama, I've had enough of this!” yelled Sango in exasperation. “You two might want to stand back,” she said to Kagome and Miroku.
 
Using her weapon as momentum, she spun around, and around, and around until she released it.
 
Just like that, the wall of youkai seemed to fall.
 
Miroku gazed in awe at Sango. “Sango, my darling, you are as strong and wise as you are beautiful,” he said, reaching out toward her lower back.
 
SLAP!
 
“Pervert! This is hardly the time, what's wrong with you?” said Sango in aggravation. Kagome might have imagined it but she could have sworn that Sango's cheeks were tinged with light rouge.
 
Kagome looked up to see Kuro and Inuyasha fighting a short distance away. From her distance, they looked just like Naraku and Inuyasha.
 
Kuro was sending tentacles out mercilessly at Inuyasha. Already the inu-hanyou had several small injuries. Inuyasha was swinging Tetsusaiga wildly at Kuro's new body, occasionally cutting off a tentacle. It seemed like the two hanyous were evenly matched.
 
If only Inuyasha could unleash the Wind Scar…At the very least it would bring Kuro down for a moment…

Kagome sighed in frustration. They were fighting just like they had in the forest. They would dodge, attack and occasionally get hit. Right now, Inuyasha looked exhausted. Kagome broke into a run toward the two with Sango and Miroku at her side.
 
Kuro looked up. “Ah Kagome, you have managed to get pass my youkai and decided to receive your death directly from me, am I right?”
 
With a growl, Inuyasha swung his blade directly at Kuro, nearly cutting his head off. “Concentrate on me, you bastard. You aren't going anywhere near her!”
 
Kuro leaped into the air easily. “You swing that blade around like a toy, Inuyasha. You think you can protect her? You can't even protect yourself!”
 
Without so much as a warning, Kuro swung one of his newly obtained tentacles at the inu-hanyou, sending his sprawling into the ground a good distance away.
 
Kagome tore her eyes away from Inuyasha and focused on her target. She notched an arrow to her bow and let it soar toward Kuro.
 
It hit a tentacle.
 
Kuro frowned at it, but the tentacle immediately regenerated. It seemed that her arrow, like the Tetsusaiga, couldn't stop Kuro from restoring himself.
 
“Hiraikotsu!”
 
Sango's boomerang came flying out of nowhere and was headed straight for Kuro's body. The hanyou couldn't move quickly enough.
 
Sango easily caught her weapon and shouldered it again. The boomerang had hit its objective; it had cut Kuro in two at his stomach.
 
For the first time since the battle began, Kuro looked angry. “This has nothing to do with you!” he snarled at Sango. He swung a revived tentacle at her -
 
“Get back you monster!” yelled Miroku, jumping in front of Sango and bringing his staff up too late.
 
Kuro succeeded in leaving a giant gash from Miroku's right shoulder to his wrist.
 
Miroku grimaced and fell onto the ground.
 
“Miroku!” Sango cried, “Are you okay?”
 
Miroku gave her a weak grin. “Never better.”
 
Hurriedly, Sango took the sweater she had wrapped around her waist and tied it securely onto Miroku's arm, trying to stop the bleeding.
 
Kuro smirked and turned his attention back on Kagome. “You have been nothing but trouble since I've met you. Die!” he said furiously, rushing toward her.
 
Kuro instantly skidded to a stop when Inuyasha jumped right in front of her, holding out his mighty blade. He narrowed his eyes at Inuyasha.
 
“You…if it weren't for you, she would already be dead!”
 
Kagome tugged on his sleeve, “Inuyasha, if you ever want to have a chance of beating him, you have to see the wind scar. Now is as good a time as any. The angrier he gets, the stronger his demonic aura becomes.”
 
“There is nothing I would love more than to blast this guy into a million pieces, but you're not telling me how to see the wind scar!” he complained.
 
“The spot where the two winds collide; yours and his. That's all I really know,” she said truthfully.
 
“Enough talk,” growled Kuro, leaping into the air.
 
All of a sudden, Inuyasha's entire expression changed. His eyes were focused on one spot. “I see it,” he muttered raising his sword. As Kuro got closer, he swung it. “WIND SCAR!” he roared.
 
Kagome had to shield her eyes from the blinding light for a few minutes. When she opened her eyes, she saw Kuro in various pieces, trying to literally pull himself together.
 
Kagome smiled brightly at Inuyasha. “You did it! Now you just have to aim for his heart.”
 
“Or I can aim for his,” Kuro said darkly.
 
Before Kagome could blink, Kuro lashed out a tentacle and it…it…
 
“Damn it all…” said Inuyasha, as he slumped to the ground.
 
“Inuyasha…no…” Kagome said in distress.
 
It went through Inuyasha's heart.