InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 27

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Almost done. Four more chapters and an epilogue to go…
 
I'm finally posting this story on ff.net. My username there is Angel449. If you see anybody else taking credit for this story, please tell me. There has been a plagiarism problem lately.
 
**********
 
Forever Yours
Chapter Twenty-Seven
 
No…no…no…no…
 
That was the thought that was repetitively running through Kagome's mind.
 
No…no…no…no…
 
This couldn't be happening again! It just couldn't!
 
Kagome's vision blurred with tears as she took out an arrow. She faced Kuro and pointed it at him.
 
“That's it,” she said, voice shaking, “That's it. I'm not going to let you hurt people I care about anymore.” She glanced over at Sango and Miroku who were looking in her direction in shock.
 
Kagome pulled back on her bow, trying to aim despite her blurry vision. “Past, present or future, I WILL NOT let you hurt the people I care about ever again!” she declared, releasing the arrow.
 
Something odd was happening to her arrow. Instead of the usually pink energy surrounding it, the light was blue. The last thing Kagome saw before she shielded her eyes from the light was Kuro's look of horror.
 
Kagome opened her eyes. Her arrow was…in the ground. It was a couple of feet from Kuro. She had missed.
 
Kuro looked at her, then the arrow, and then her again. His lips curved upwards into a triumphant grin.
 
“You missed. You couldn't hit me in the attic and you couldn't hit me here.”
 
Suddenly unable to stand, Kagome sank to her knees.
 
“Now I will finish you off,” said Kuro, running toward her.
 
Kagome didn't move. A lone tear slid down her cheek and onto the lush grass.
 
“Wh-What's happening?” asked Kuro looking alarmed, “I…I can't move!”
 
Kagome looked up with tear-filled eyes. To her amazement, Kuro seemed to be glowing with a faint blue light. In fact…the whole ground seemed to be glowing and the light was strongest around…the arrow she had tried to shoot him with.
 
Kagome slowly reached out a hand. She could move just fine. Turning her head, she could see that Miroku and Sango weren't affected either. Sango was applying pressure to Miroku's arm to stop the bleeding and Miroku was wincing.
 
Kagome looked back at Kuro. His face was a picture of sheer panic. The light was getting brighter but Kagome forced herself not to close her eyes this time.
 
And then…it was gone. The light was gone. And Kuro…Kuro was on his knees like Kagome.
 
Kagome cautiously stood up.
 
“Kagome…”
 
Startled, Kagome looked down to see Inuyasha trying, and failing to get up.
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome fell to her knees again, pulled Inuyasha into a sitting position and threw her arms around him. “I'm so glad you're alive!” she said hysterically.
 
“…I'm alive, but I won't be for much longer if you crush me to death,” he said with a dry grin.
 
Immediately, Kagome backed off. “What happened to you? I…I thought you were dead. His tentacle…it went right through your heart.”
 
“Keh,” he said smirking. “That's what you thought when he and I were fighting in the forest. He couldn't aim then and he can't aim now. He got my shoulder again,” he said arrogantly.
 
“Inuyasha…I'm really, really glad that you're okay,” she said wiping her eyes.
 
Inuyasha's expression softened. “It would take more that Kuro to bring me down. By the way, where is Kuro,” asked Inuyasha curiously.
 
Kagome had almost forgotten about Kuro. She glanced in his direction and saw that he was still on his knees. He wasn't moving.
 
Kagome tried to stand up but Inuyasha grabbed her arm. “Oh hell no, you are not going over there Kagome. He could be setting a trap.”
 
“It's okay, I have a feeling that it's all over now. My arrow did…something. I have to find out what.” Inuyasha didn't relax his grip. “Trust me on this. My arrow is what killed Naraku.”
 
Inuyasha reluctantly let go of her arm and Kagome smiled at him. “Try to keep the pressure on your wound.”
 
Kagome stood up and carefully made her way to Kuro's side. She touched his shoulder gently. “Kuro?”
 
Kuro looked up and Kagome nearly fell backwards in shock. Gone was his maniacal smirk and dark eyes. In their place was an expression that looked like it belonged on a lost little boy.
 
“Kagome…I'm sorry!” he said suddenly and unexpectedly. “I'm sorry! I didn't mean for this to happen! I didn't mean to hurt anyone! I…I was just so angry about my father and…and…”
 
“Kuro, relax,” Kagome said, while mentally shaking her head in disbelief. Kuro was defending himself like Sota after sneaking sweats before dinner. All of the evil and darkness she felt surrounding him, was gone. Somehow…her arrow had purified him without killing him. He was a human again.
 
“Everybody is okay,” she said glancing at Miroku and Inuyasha. “You just let your emotions take control of you. I'm sure your father will get you help.”
 
“Kagome - ”
 
“It's okay Kuro,” she said, helping him to his feet. “It's all over.”
 
**********

“I can't believe how nice you were to him back there,” Inuyasha grumbled. “He tried to kill all of us, including you!”
 
Kagome sighed. They were in Kaede's hut and Kagome and Sango were bandaging Inuyasha and Miroku. Kaede had volunteered to make Kuro some soup to try and calm him down.
 
“I had to. I've always tried to make people see is that reincarnations are different then the people that used to have their souls. I hated it when people thought of me as a copy of Kikyo. That is why I can't see Kuro like I saw Naraku. It would go against everything I believe.” She paused. “For one minute on the battlefield, I forgot all of that. But…if you had died, I really would've killed him.”
 
Inuyasha raised his eyebrows but he kept quiet.
 
“Thank you Sango. Your expertise in bandaging has healed me,” Miroku said with a smile. Sango tried not to blush. “Would you care to walk with me for a bit?”
 
Sango looked surprised but she nodded. The two of them walked out of the cabin.
 
Kagome counted to ten before she jumped up. “Come on Inuyasha! I want to see what's going on!”
 
“You want to spy on them?”
 
“Of course I do!”
 
Inuyasha shook his head. “No way. I'm not spying on them,” he declared.
 
**********
 
“I can't believe I'm spying on them,” Inuyasha muttered.
 
“Shh! They're talking!” Kagome whispered excitedly.
 
“Does your arm hurt?” Sango was asking.
 
Miroku smiled at her. “Not as much as the thought of you in pain.”
 
Sango blushed. “I've…I've been meaning to thank you for protecting me back there,” she stammered.
 
Miroku turned to face her and took her hands. “I would do anything to keep you safe, Sango.”
 
“Miroku…”
 
“Sango, I really care about you. More than I've ever cared about anyone. I think I'm in love with you.”
 
“…Miroku…I don't know what to say…but I think that I…love you too,” she said. Sango was blushing and looking everywhere but at Miroku.
 
Miroku got down on one knee. “Sango, would you do the honor of - ” Sango tensed up. “Being my girlfriend?”
 
Sango laughed in relief. “Yes Miroku. But…if you ever touch another girl, I will personally send you into a lifelong coma.”
 
Miroku gulped. “Not to worry, my love. You are the only one for me.”
 
With his good arm, Miroku tugged Sango toward him and captured her lips with his own.
 
Kagome stifled her laugh at Inuyasha's expression.
 
“I'm going back to the cabin,” said Inuyasha.
 
“Right behind you,” Kagome said.
 
**********
 
“Ye two are back. Would ye like some lunch?” Kaede asked. Kuro was sleeping the corner. Kagome marveled at how he could sleep after everything that had happened. He must've been exhausted.
 
Inuyasha, of course, was the first one to accept Kaede's offer.
 
“I can't believe it's already lunch,” Kagome said. “What a morning!”
 
Inuyasha was too busy stuffing his face to comment.
 
Kagome reflected on the day so far. Kuro had been purified and Sango and Miroku were together. However there was still something that Kagome wanted. She wanted to know the truth about her three new friends and their relation to her dead feudal friends.