InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 28

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Sorry for the delay. My computer crashed and I lost everything…Damn! That sucks big time! But, I gave myself all of my spare time to make sure this chapter got finished before two weeks passed. I really like this chapter and I had fun writing it. Enjoy and please review.
 
**********
 
Forever Yours
Chapter Twenty-Eight
 
The soup was delicious Kaede, Kagome said wiping her mouth. As always.
 
Kaede gave her a smile and collected Kagome's bowl. Kagome glanced at Inuyasha. As usual, he did not show any sign of getting full.
 
Kagome shook her head. “I'll be right outside,” she said to Kaede and Inuyasha before disappearing through the door.
 
Although Kagome had just stepped outside for air, her feet led her in the direction she had traveled so many times since she had first discovered that the well still worked. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't keep away from him.
 
A sad smile crept onto her face as she kneeled before Inuyasha's grave. “You know what's strange Inuyasha? I met someone almost exactly like you and I don't know if that is making the pain inside stronger or weaker. All I know is, I am not the same person I was when you died. I feel…I don't know…I can't describe it. More aware of how the world works I guess. I think I understand certain things about you better too.”
 
She sighed softly. “Back when I met you, I was confused about why you seemed to compare me to Kikyo so much. I was hurt that you wouldn't see me as me. Of course, later on you realized how different Kikyo and I are but…I think I understand why you compared us now.” It felt good to get this off her chest, to say it aloud. “I understand because I'm guilty of comparing you with Inuyasha Takahashi.”
 
Kagome rubbed her temples. “But still…I think that it is harder this time around for me. For one thing, you knew for a fact that I was a reincarnation of Kikyo, but I…I just keep getting more confused by the day; I'm starting to doubt that I'll ever know the truth about Inuyasha Takahashi. And another thing...you spent 50 years on that tree hating Kikyo but I…I have spent a year thinking of you and not being able to stop loving you. Not being able to let go.”
 
“A part of me is saying that I should be dealing with losing you better than I have. I mean, I've known for a very long time that you were going to go to hell with Kikyo after Naraku was killed and the jewel was completed, but…but…I guess I never thought I would really lose you…”
 
Kagome hugged her knees and rested her head on them, closing her eyes. She didn't want to admit it, even to herself, but she didn't feel Inuyasha's presence around that area anymore. That day…when she had buried him and talked to Kikyo, she had felt his warmth around the grave, comforting her and giving her strength. But now, she couldn't feel a trace of anything.
 
“Kagome?”
 
Kagome opened her eyes and turned toward Inuyasha. She gave him a soft smile.
 
Inuyasha took that as his cue to sit next to her. They didn't speak for several minutes. Kagome noticed Inuyasha studying the grave. “You really have been through a lot,” he said unexpectedly. “You must have been afraid…that day, I mean.”
 
Kagome willed herself not to start crying in front of him. “It wasn't easy living a life back in these times but if I could change the past, I wouldn't. When I wrote my story, I named my character Kichi because it meant fortunate. I feel fortunate that I got the chance that I did and fortunate that I met my friends…”
 
Inuyasha nodded.
 
“As for being afraid…I…I think I felt every negative emotion that day; anger, hatred, sorrow and definitely fear. Although, I wasn't afraid of Naraku…I was afraid of losing Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku and Shippo. Especially Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha didn't know what to say to that. He actually looked…a little down.
 
“Anger was the most powerful emotion,” Kagome continued. “I don't even remember killing Naraku. I can only remember my fury and heat rushing to my hands. I guess I went into a subconscious state of mind. That's another difference between Naraku and Kuro, when I thought Kuro had killed you…I just…I could remember feeling defeated. It felt like he had already won. I felt like…like there was no point in fighting anymore.”
 
“…Really?” Inuyasha asked quietly.
 
Kagome nodded, blushing slightly. “That was when I felt real fear. I'm really, really glad you're okay, Inuyasha.”
 
“Kagome…” Inuyasha started.
 
“Kagome!”
 
Kagome turned around. “Koga?”
 
“Hey Kagome. How're you doing? I caught Naraku's scent awhile ago but it was kinda different.” Koga had not yet noticed Inuyasha.
 
“Naraku's reincarnation,” Kagome said simply.
 
“…That'd explain it,” said Koga in disbelief. “So, where is he now?”
 
“He won't be hurting anyone anymore, he's human agai - ”
 
“Okay, Okay! Back up! Who's this guy, Kagome?” Inuyasha demanded, standing up.
 
Koga looked at Inuyasha, then at the grave, then Kagome. He looked extremely confused. “I think we'd both like introductions Kagome,” he said, looking at Inuyasha curiously.
 
Kagome could only imagine what was going through Koga's mind. “Inuyasha, this is Koga, the wolf-youkai I mentioned. Koga, this is Inuyasha, from my time,” she said quickly.
 
Koga looked at Kagome. `Reincarnation?' he mouthed at her. Kagome shrugged her shoulders. Koga turned his attention to Inuyasha and gave a wicked grin.
 
“So, Kagome's mentioned me, huh?” Koga said, stepping closer to Kagome. “I'm sure my woman told you all about me,” he said wrapping an arm around her shoulder.
 
Your woman?” cried both Inuyasha and Kagome.
 
Koga nodded with his cocky smirk in place. Kagome had no idea what he was doing. What had come over him?
 
“Ready to get going Kagome? I'm sure you don't want to hang around with this mutt anymore.” Koga looked directly at Inuyasha when he said that.
 
“Did you just call me a mutt?” Inuyasha yelled, unsheathing Tetsusaiga. Koga nodded calmly eyeing the Tetsusaiga with a strange look. “Get away from her!” With that, Inuyasha jumped toward Koga who easily leapt away. Even without the shards in his legs, he was still pretty fast.
 
Kagome was too busy pondering what Koga had said to pay any attention to the fight. Why would he act like this all of a sudden? He had a mate, Ayame. He had asked her if Inuyasha was a reincarnation…then the answer hit her. He was trying to see if this was Inuyasha's reincarnation based on how Inuyasha reacted to Koga's possessiveness.
 
“Wind sca-!”
 
“Sit Boy!” Kagome called.
 
CRASH!
 
Kagome rushed to Inuyasha's side. “Why that skinny little - ”
 
“Inuyasha, nothing Koga said was true; he has a mate and she's expecting a baby,” Kagome reassured. “He's just fooling around, he does that a lot. We will never be anything more than friends.”
 
“I'm going to kill him,” Inuyasha said, struggling against the spell.
 
“Aw Kagome, did you have to sit him? I haven't had a good sparring match in a long time,” Koga said with a frown.
 
Kagome sighed. “How are Ayame and the little one doing?”
 
Immediately, Koga's face softened and he smiled. “Great. Ayame is healthy and our pup should be born in about four weeks.”
 
Kagome nudged Inuyasha. “I told you so.”
 
Koga grinned. “I couldn't resist provoking you Inuyasha. I knew you'd attack me and I haven't had a good fight in awhile.”
 
Kagome knew that wasn't true. He had gotten in plenty of fights while protecting the village and Ayame.
 
Inuyasha sat up and glared at Koga in disgust. “Mangy wolf…”
 
“Well, I'd better get going. Later Kagome.” Quick as a wink, he sped over to her and whispered, “He's too similar to him to be a reincarnation.” Then he disappeared.
 
Kagome sighed tiredly. Everyone agreed that Inuyasha wasn't a reincarnation, so what was he?
 
“I hate that guy,” muttered Inuyasha.
 
Kagome smiled in amusement. “Well, we should be going back home soon. We have exams starting tomorrow.”
 
“I can't believe you're thinking of something so normal after all of this,” Inuyasha said dryly.
 
Kagome laughed. “There's no such thing as normal in my life. Don't forget, we still have to turn Kuro in. The police are looking for him,” she said. “Although…we are going to have to come up with a really good story to tell them.”
 
“Can't exactly tell them that you purified him with a sacred arrow,” Inuyasha agreed. “Let's go back to Kaede's house and see if the old woman made anymore soup.” Without waiting for an answer, Inuyasha headed off in that direction.
 
What I said to him at the grave…I meant it…all of it. I wouldn't have been able to take it if another man that I loved had died because of me.
 
“Oh kami-sama…” Kagome muttered. “Did I…I couldn't have…but I did…”
 
Somehow, without realizing it, Kagome had fallen in love with Inuyasha Takahashi.