InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Life II ❯ Mending a Torn Heart ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, I think I’ll state this in more chapters, so people will understand. If you want to understand this fanfic, read Raiden no Ai. That is the prequel to Fragment of Life II. Please take the time to leave me a review on it as well. I hope you are all enjoying this fanfic so far. I’m glad of the fanservice that I am getting.

This is chapter 4 of Fragment of Life II.

Japanese dictionary

Kitsune- Fox

Youkai- Demon

Fragment of Life II

Chapter 4: Mending a Torn Heart

“Hush..” Kagome coaxed her friend to calm down before she made herself sick with grief, but how could she calm down? She had lost everything. She was shunned by society for loving a demon and now lived in despair and loneliness. The red headed girl had often thought about doing the unimaginable, but found that she never had the guts.

She had also thought, that if she were to meet Hiten after death, then he would think of her as weak for killing herself off for the soul purpose that she had kept him alive for. It would be hypocrisy.

Akina could feel the gentle hands of Kagome going through her silken hair in a comforting manner, as she could see Inuyasha speaking to Miroku and Sango about the current matters.

Kaede was also listening in from across the room, where she was seated with a young kitsune youkai, who was watching her make herbs.

When the name of Hiten was heard, the young fox youkai seemed to listen to the three discuss the matter.

“Huh?” Akina quirked an eyebrow in thought at the sight of the youngster’s interest in the current conversation.

‘Why is he so interested about a youkai that, in his eyes and in the eyes of everyone else, was a cold hearted killer?’ She thought to herself.

The red head could see the little figure give her a few glances as the others were talking.

‘I wonder why he’s looking at me like that…Does he…Hate humans?’

She felt a hand on her shoulder. Akina took a sharp glance over her shoulder to see Kagome wearing a quizzical look on her features. The red haired maiden arched an eyebrow as if to silently question the girl.

“Something wrong, Akina?” Kagome asked.

“The little one, why does he keep looking at me like that?” She asked, a bit afraid of what the answer might be.

“Well….” Kagome trailed, putting a finger to her lips and wearing a look of deep contemplation.

Akina stared intently at the raven haired girl.

“You see,” Kagome finally resumed the sentence, looking a bit sad that Akina had to hear what she was being told. “A long time ago, when Hiten was after the Shikon Shards, he killed Shippou’s father.”

“Oh….” Akina looked down. “I should not speak to him.”

“I’m sure Shippou would be perfectly fine with you. It’s just Hiten he has something against.”

“But I love Hiten. Wouldn’t I be guilty by association?” The red head asked.

“I don’t think he would judge you for that.” The schoolgirl replied.

The red head wore a look of concern as she looked at Shippou, who was now clinging to Inuyasha’s head, biting him with the hanyou trying desperately to pry the small one off. Miroku was holding his stomach in a gleeful manner and laughing jovially, Sango held one hand to her cheek and the other overlapped her stomach. She was giggling up a storm.

Kagome was momentarily distracted, giving her time to think about the sudden events in both her lives and theirs. Everything had been going by so fast and it seemed like its own motion blur. The circle of events changing at a fast paced moment in her chocolate eyes.

Akina had been thinking so hard that she hadn’t noticed the kitsune tugging curiously on her sleeve. Feeling the tugging motion, she snapped out of her daze and looked down at the kitsune.

“Yes?”

“Hi, what’s your name?” He asked with a bright smile.

“I’m Akina, and you?”

“I’m Shippou.” The kitsune looked as if he was thinking. “You look familiar. . .”

“I am.” The red head’s face went straight to the ground.

“You’re the one who loved Hiten, aren’t you?” The diminutive one asked.

A silent not.

“What are you doing here?”

“I came back to give you the sacred shards. Hiten has died. . .” She looked to the point of tears.

“He died?” Shippou asked, seeming a bit surprised.

“He didn’t survive the blow that Inuyasha gave him in battle. “ Akina replied, voice laced in sadness and turmoil. “I fulfilled my promise to Kagome and brought her back the shards.”

“Well, that was nice of you, but why help us?” Shippou asked. “Aren’t we your enemies now? We did fight the Raijuu Brothers when you defended them.”

“And no thanks to you they got away.” The hanyou huffed.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome warned. “Just be happy you have them now. Be glad she even gave them back to us. It made it a lot easier to get them.”

“You should at least try and make her feel better. She’s been through a lot.” Sango replied. “I know how it feels to lose a loved one.”

Miroku gave Sango a concerned look. “We’ve all been a bit down lately. Feel free to stay here as long as you like.”

“What?!” Inuyasha yelled.

“That’s it! I’ve had enough of your attitude.” Kagome fumed. “Osuwari! Be nice Inuyasha!”

A silver haired hanyou’s face hit the ground at a fast speed.

The black haired schoolgirl wore an angry face, then walked off.

“Sorry for Inuyasha’s rudeness. He normally isn’t this bad.” Miroku comforted.

“It’s all right.” Akina sighed.

“Don’t worry! Cheer up you have us now!” Shippou beamed. “And we’ll be your friends, right guys?”

They both nodded.

“I just hope that Inuyasha can forgive me.” Akina replied.

“He just needs some time to think.” Shippou replied.

Inuyasha just muttered incoherently to himself and rubbed his head in agony.

Anyway, this is it. Sorry that it’s kind of short. I’ve been really busy lately (like most of the people here) things have been quiet in many ways. In the next chapter, Hiten will make an appearance and we’ll get the story started. There is more angst ahead and some action too!

Please R&R!