InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~ Hey all! I'm updating now. I'll try to update more often, but don't keep me to that. On with the chapter! ~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days trapped in the hospital are actually very boring. Miroku was having fun groping the nurses and then running for his life when they tried to kill him. Eventually they all teamed up, surrounded him and basically beat the shit out of him. I think even the male nurses helped. He's now in his room strapped to the bed again. I don't think he would be able to move anyway. That idiot monk has little swirlies in his eyes and was mumbling something about how pretty the stars looked.

I was told by that nurse my doctor was coming to check up on me today. Whatever. As long as they keep me in here for a while longer so I can help Kagome. I sat in my bed and tried to think of anything and everything to ask her during her visit this coming night. The nurse had brought me a pen and paper, as I had requested, and I was writing down every question that popped into my mind. When my mind went blank, I looked at the clock on the wall. 2 o'clock. Okay, 10 hours to go. What the heck am I going to do for that time? There was always that television the humans are fascinated by, but I never really found anything exciting. I did really enjoy that anime stuff, like EscaFlowne and Trigun, but I soon found out this hospital didn't air those. Idiots.

My train of thought was broke when an elderly woman in a, you guessed it, white coat walked in. "How are we doing, Inu Yasha?"

"Feh, I don't know about you, but I'm just fine. Unlike you, I'm not that weak."

The woman chuckled. "Right. You don't recognize me, do you Inu Yasha?"

Raising an eyebrow, I turned to look at the woman when it dawned on me. "How the hell did you get to work here, Kaede?"

"I'm one of the few healers that is willing to work with the non-humans. And behave yourself. I am the chief of staff. Now, let's see how your body is doing."

I've known Kaede since I was really young. My parents were killed and I was all alone. There was my annoying evil older half brother, but he wanted nothing to do with me. Kaede took me in and raised me until I was about fifteen. I then took off and tried to live my own life. Now, at the age of twenty-five, I come face to face with the woman who was a second mother to me, not that I would tell her that.

I shifted. "You should know me better than that, Kaede. I heal quickly."

The old woman nodded. "I know that, but something tells me to check anyway. Now let me do my job." I sighed and relented. After a few minutes, she was finished and writing on that chart of hers. "Okay, Inu Yasha. You can be released by tomorrow morning."

Panic started to set in. "NO! I mean maybe I should stay longer just in case."

Why was I not surprised when Kaede looked up from the chart and raised an eyebrow at me? I guess she knew me better then I thought. "Inu Yasha? What's going on? I thought you would love to get out of here."

What the heck was I going to say to her? Oh, I want to stay because this spirit girl asked for my help and I promised her little brother I would? Oh yeah, Kaede would keep me here to get my head examined. But what other choice did I have?

"What's this?"

I snapped my head up and saw Kaede pick up Kagome's picture. Panic flowed through me again. I snatched the picture and buried it under my pillow again. Jeez, does no one respect what's under a man's pillow anymore?

I scowled at her and she, surprisingly, smiled. "Why are you smiling, old woman?"

"Nothing. It's just I think I know why you want to stay. Does it have something to do with that woman in the picture?"

"You could say that." That was kind of the case.

Pulling up a chair, Kaede sat down and looked at me with this eyes that told me to talk. I growled. "What?"

"Talk Inu Yasha or I'll make sure you're out of here by morning." Damn that old woman is annoying! She always found some way to make me talk.

"Fine. You won't believe me though."

"Try me."

I looked away from her. "Her name is Kagome. I met her two days ago. I was about to fall asleep that night when I think her spirit came to me asking for my help. She told me a number and I went to find that room, except it didn't exist. I met her little brother who practically begged me to help her and I promised I would. He gave me her picture and their number on the back if I found anything. She came to me that night and showed me where her room was. Before I could go inside, she told me to come back here, that he was there. I'm supposed to meet her again tonight."

I turned to look at the old miko beside me. Yes, she is a miko. Strange that she would have raised a hanyou, but Kaede always had a kind heart. Right now, she had this strange look on her face. "You met her brother… Souta Higurashi?" I nodded and she frowned. "I thought so. He has been here many times, saying that his sister is alive and was calling to him to help her. No one believes him."

I sat up straight in the bed. "But I saw her! She talked with me! I know she's real."

"Calm down Inu. I believe you. I believed him as well. It's not surprising to a miko anyway. Now, what time will she meet you tonight?"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Why?"

"I need to see for myself if she is real or not."

I thought this over. "No. Kaede, she came to me. She for some odd reason trusts me to help her. I will ask her tonight if she would like your help as well, but if she says no, that's it. I will not push her."

Kaede gave me this weird look. "I understand Inu Yasha." She got up slowly and turned to leave. "By the way, I was just wondering when you started to care about others like that. There was a time when you wouldn't give a damn for some human girl. What happened I wonder." Without another word, she left the room, leaving me to my thoughts.

I sat there in my room alone, thinking about what she said. Why was it I was helping this human out anyway? It didn't make any sense. Then I remembered seeing her face the night we met. Her face that was just so terrified and seemed so desperate. My heart hurt for this girl. I've never seen anyone like that before. Such pain and longing for something that was unreachable. I knew I had to do anything to help her.

I looked over to the clock again. 5 o'clock. Shrugging, I crawled under the covers. I figure it's going to be a late night. Might as well get some sleep while I can. Not like I needed it, but it beats having Miroku poke me awake in the mornings. I swear, one day I should just claw him. Just one big swipe. Maybe he'd learn to let sleeping demons, whether half or whole, be.

~Night~

I awoke at about 11:45. Perfect timing I think. I waited on the side of my bed, with the horribly what I found to be itchy robe covering me. My wait was not long, for the girl I promised to help walked into my room. She smiled at me. "Oh good. You're awake now."

I looked at her with a confused face. "What do you mean 'now'? Were you here before?"

She nodded and smiled again. "I came early to see if we could get a head start, but I saw you sleeping so peacefully, I didn't have the heart to wake you. By the way, how can you sleep with that guy across the hall snoring so loudly?"

*Sweatdrop*

"You mean that monk?"

"Monk? I mean the guy that's in the room with the man strapped to the bed with little swirlies in his eyes."

"Oh! Well, I tune him out, but I know the guy that's strapped to the bed. That's Miroku. Nice guy, but has 'wandering hands' when around a beautiful girls. He wants to meet you too."

There was a little bit of panic in her eyes. "You told him about me?"

Realizing my error, I tried to put out the fire that was about to start. "Well, he found your picture under my pillow and asked who you were. I didn't tell him much except that you were a girl I met two nights ago. That's all."

One of her eyebrows went up. "Where did you get a picture of me from?"

"Souta, your brother."

She smiled. "I should have known."

I looked at her over for a brief moment. She seemed a lot calmer, more comfortable then when I had first seen her. Maybe she trusts me to help her? I don't know. I reached over and grabbed the paper I had on the night stand next to the bed. "Okay, I have a few questions."

She stood there looking at me. I motioned towards one of the chairs, indicating for her to sit down. Kagome shrugged and sat down. "Shoot."

"Okay, first question. What happened at the shrine? Your brother and grandpa said there was an accident."

Her eyes narrowed and I could sense anger on her. "It was no accident. He did it to get revenge. He thought if he destroyed everything, I'd go willingly. When I refused, he beat me until I almost died. I awoke to a hospital room and I saw him standing there, smiling down at me. He injected something into my IV and the next thing I knew I was in that room. I was only awake once before he injected something new into me. I've been asleep ever since. Something tells me he is somehow using my powers while I am trapped in deep sleep. I don't know how to wake up. That's when I knew I needed help. I was then able to project myself like this. It was weird the first time. To be able to look down on your own body like that is so odd. So then I set out to find someone who would be able to help me and I found you."

I looked at her with wonder. She's been through so much only because she refused a man? "What did this man want with you?"

"He wanted to use my powers to his advantage, which would have hurt a lot of people and probably kill me in the process."

From the sounds of it, this guy was probably a demon. Who else would want to cause so much pain?

I put my list of other questions aside and stood up. "Okay, what do you want me to do?"

She smiled up at me and rose to her feet. "Come with me. Maybe something will happen when you see the room itself." Kagome walked out of the room and I quickly followed. We went down that same white hallway and up to where the magical wall was. The door was open and she walked forward.

I don't know why I was so nervous. What did I have to be nervous about? I gulped and took one step in front of the other into the room. What I saw was something I didn't expect.

A woman lay on the bed, numerous tubes coming out of her, one in her nose helping her to breathe. Her raven hair lay limp on her shoulders as her white arms lay motionless at her sides. Considerably thin, it was apparent she had been there for a long time, more than a year. I was just amazed that the body survived this long.

I walked over to her body that looked at it would break with a simple touch, a simple breath. Before I knew what I was doing, I reached out and touched her raven hair. Considering the shape she was in, it was soft to the touch. Blushing, I turned back to the spirit of the body. "So this is you?"

She just nodded and stepped forward, a bit of red on her cheeks as well. With a slender hand, Kagome reached out to touch her own body, as if to see if it was real or not. To my surprise, her hand phased right through her skin, as if she didn't exist. A look of longing entered her eyes. "I have wanted to awaken for so long."

"What does it feel like?"

Her eyes remained on her body as she answered. "It's as if my soul is gone. When I don't project it, my spirit sleeps in a cold place, so very cold. My body I can't move. It's as if it's all numb. I just can't wake up. Every night I just stand here and look at my body there. It's as if I've just become nothing."

"It must be very lonely."

"Time stands still. It's as if everything is frozen in place for me while everything else moves with the hands of the clock. That's why I was early today. Time has no effect on me. When you touched my hair then, that was the first time someone has touched me in a very long time."

I turned to her fully, well, the spirit her. A question continued to burn in my mind. "Why did you come to me?"

She looked at me and smiled a sad smile. "When I was searching, you were the only one awake, the only one alive while everyone else was dead asleep. There was also a light around you. It's as if you were meant to be there." Her gaze strayed away from mine. A strong hint of sorrow came over her. She softly whispered to herself, "I don't want to die here." If I didn't have my great hearing, I would have never heard her. I walked over and put my hand on her shoulder, careful to support it so I wouldn't phase through her.

"Kagome, look at me." I waited until her eyes looked into mine. "I promise you. I will not let you die here."

She smiled a genuine smile of gratitude. I was tempted to pull her into a hug, but I knew I couldn't. She wasn't a real person, no skin or bones. Her body lay but a foot away from me in a deep sleep. I will free her from this curse. I will stop at nothing to save her, to wake her up.

A tingling feeling came over me and crawled up my back. My head jerked up as a sensed something evil coming. Kagome must have noticed too. Her panicked face was looking up at me. "He's coming."

I nodded and turned to leave. "Kagome? Same time tomorrow?" She smiled and nodded at me. "Also, I have some friends who might be able to help. May I?" An uneasy look took over her features. I walked over to her. "I will not do anything that will make you uncomfortable. You can trust me."

"I do. Yes, let me meet these friends. Perhaps there is something they could do. But do me one favor? Please find a friend of mine. Her name is Sango. Souta will be able to help you find her."

I nodded, telling her I would do as she asked. A smile was what I got in return as I ran back to my room and back into my bed. I looked at my clock. 3:30 am. Where did the time go? I pulled the covers up to my chin and closed my eyes inviting sleep to take over me. I was blessed and granted sleep.

~Morning~

My eyes slowly opened to something very odd. "Umm… Miroku? Why are you in a straight jacket?"

The monk in question stepped forward and sat down. "The nurses put it on me. I wonder why."

*Sweatdrop*

"Jee, I don't know. Maybe because you ask them to bear your child, grope them, then run? Some girls just don't like that."

A sly grin was then on his face. "And you would know, Inu. So do I get to meet her?"

I groaned. "Nice thing to say when I just get up. Yes, Kagome agreed to meet you, but there are a few things I have to tell you first."

"Sure, but could you get this off of me first?"

*Sweatdrop*

"Fine." I got out of bed and set to work on the lovely white jacket they placed on the pervert. "Maybe I should leave it on. It would be nice for those nurses."

"Come on, Inu!"

"Fine! Just stop whining." He smiled as I got the damn thing off of him. Flinging his arms around like a nut, he thanked me and sat down, preparing himself for what I was about to tell him. "Before I start, she also wanted to meet Kaede. Apparently the old hag is chief of staff here."

"You really need to learn to pay attention and make sure who you are talking about isn't right outside the door, Inu Yasha."

Of course perfect timing by Kaede. She walked into the room and sat down. The two looked at me with eyes that said "so talk already".

I sighed. "Okay, where do I begin?"

~*~Okay, done with chapter three. Yay! Okay, now send in those reviews so I know if I'm wasting my time with this fanfic or not. Ja ne!~*~