InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Trepidation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Trepidation

8:88:888:88:8

Kagome used InuYasha's hand to get up off the floor as she stared open mouthed at the heap of dust sitting in the sunlight. Glancing over at her shoulder to pin him with a glare, she pointed a shaking finger at the pile that used to be her way back home. “Look . . . what you did . . . “ She felt her eyes began tearing up as InuYasha sheathed Tetsusaiga.
 
“Kagome I . . . “ She made a choking noise, trying to hide a sob that was trying to rise from her throat. He winced. “I'm sorry . . . “ She didn't say anything as she dropped to her knees and picked up some of the dust, watching as it fell through her fingers.
 
“Momma . . . Ji-chan . . . Souta . . .”
 
InuYasha winced again and walked up to her, helping her up. “Let's go home. I'm so sorry Kagome . . . “ She didn't say anything, didn't move as he put her on his back and carried her the rest of the way home.
 
Once they got to Kaede's hut, he immediately set her in front of the old woman and knelt down next to her. Ignoring the questioning glances that there shooting at him from all directions.
 
“What happened to ye Kagome?”
 
Kagome looked at Kaede and turned her head away as she spoke. “ InuYasha destroyed my way back home. “ She said coldly. My only way back home.”
 
“I said I was sorry. . . “ He muttered. Kagome turned her head and pinned him with a glare that made everyone grimace.
 
“Kagome . . . So ye are stuck in our era . . . which means you will have to adjust to live here.” Kagome nodded her head sadly.
 
Three months later, Kagome walked into the hut her, InuYasha, Sango and Miroku shared with a basket of vegetables. Sango smiled as she stirred the stew that she was brewing. “InuYasha outside.” She said as Kagome looked around.
 
“It's not that. I just feel uneasy. The demon hasn't appeared in three months.”
 
“Maybe she was scared away . . . “ Shippou said with a shrug. “But if she wasn't, she'd come back, so don't worry about it.” Kagome shrugged as she sat down next to Kirira and ran her fingers through the feline's fur. Why was she so uncomfortable?
 
Was it the fact that she would live the rest of her life here with InuYasha, or the fact that she would never see her mother's cheerful face ever again? She didn't understand what made her so perturbed, but she wished that she could come to terms with it sooner or later. Standing up, she walked out of the hut, taking a short walk into the forest. Walking up the steep hill, onto a cliff covered with grass the overlooked the village, she found InuYasha, crouched and looking over the edge. At the first step she took, his ears twitched, and his body stiffened.
 
“Sango's cooking supper.” Kagome said as she stooped down next to him, pulling her knees to her chest. “What's the matter?”
 
“Does it really bother you that much to stay here? If you had the choice, where would you have stayed?”
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha for a moment. “ I would not have chosen. I would have just did the same thing I always did. Visit each place for a short time, and balance two lives, but I'm sad and pleased at the same time.” InuYasha looked at her as if she lost her mind. “ In my era, there are things like T.V, and other things like that. Material things that make life easier. But here, I get to be free, one with nature, and I'd rather that than the city.”
 
InuYasha looked pleased. “ I was just asking. I was kind of hoping, that you would have chosen to stay here, with me.” Kagome turned her head and looked at him.
 
“Would you have liked me to?”
 
“Does it matter what I want?”
 
“Does it matter what I want?”
 
“To me it does.”
 
“And what you want matter to me.” InuYasha did something he rarely did, grin. Looking over the cliff, he sighed.
 
“Kagome that day that you said you wanted to stay by my side, at the well, did you mean it?”
 
“Duh. Um here, aren't I?”
 
“Yeah, but everytime you would leave for a long time, I would always get scared you wouldn't come back.”
 
“And why would I do that?”
 
“You tell me.”
 
Kagome giggled. “Remember this. If I ever leave, I'll come back sooner or later. Probably not as I planned, but I'll come back.”
 
“Promise?”
 
“Promise.”
 
InuYasha smiled and stood up, holding out a hand to help Kagome up. “Let's get going. I'm hungry.”

8:88:888:88:8

Sango watched Miroku out the corner of her eye as he scooted towards her. Smaking his hand with the spoon as it crept toward her, she could feel her nerves with this monk slowly plucking apart. “Miroku . . . “
 
“Yes?”
 
“Get away from me.”
 
“Such cruel treatment. I am only but a monk.”
 
“A lecher, that's what you are.” She sighed as Kagome and InuYasha walked into the hut. “Are you hungry?” She asked the two.
 
“InuYasha scooted to the stew and nodded. “Yeah, I think I'll take some. I could have hunted you know.”
 
“Yes, but rabbit meat everyday isn't good you know.”
 
“That's not all we eat.”
 
Kagome looked shocked. “It isn't? What else do we eat.”
 
InuYasha blanched a little. “You don't want to know.”
 
Kagome snorted. “As if! What is it?”
 
“Trust me. You don't want to know.” InuYasha scoffed as Sango poured stew into his bowl. She stopped him before he could eat some. He was told to be sure not to take so much that there wasn't enough for Kaede. He said he understood, and began eating in silence.
 
Kagome focused her gaze on the ground as she slowly ate her stew. Even though she really wasn't hungry, she hadn't eaten all day, and she feared she would get sick if she didn't put anything in her stomach. She choked softly as she set the bowl down and grabbed her throat.
 
“What's wrong?” Sango asked. Kagome shook her head.
 
“Nothing. Just a sore throat. I think I'll take a nap, it hurts really bad.” Everyone watched as she crawled over to her sleeping back, and as soon as her head touched the fabric she was asleep. Miroku chuckled.
 
“I don't think that's normal.”
 
InuYasha snorted. “We're talking about Kagome .Nothing is normal about that girl.”

8:88:888:88:8

 
Green eyes bright with fear, and long brown hair flowing behind her as she ran, a young teenager tore through the forest as a young girl chased her through it. Screaming for help from somebody, anybody, she approached the well, or where it used to be.
 
Suddenly, chains shot out of the ground and pulled her to the ground. She screamed and fought with all her might, and the little girl slowly walked over to her. Crying for her mother, anybody, somebody to help her, Kagome could feel the tears running down her face, could feel her heartbeat hammering against her chest, could feel the horror that threatened to extinguish her. The young girl dropped to her knees next to the girl, and ran her fingers through her long raven hair.
 
You will join me.” She said sadly. “Come with me.”
 
The teenager screamed and tried fighting back, and made the mistake of looking into the girl's face that was hidden by white hair. Red eyes that looked like two large marbles opened slowly, and the girl's heart froze, and she opened her mouth to scream, but was gasping for breath as she writhed and contracted under the demon. “Shhh . . . It's all gonna be over soon.” The demon said as she ground turned into the white flowers.
 
Smiling evilly as she she placed her hand under the girl's left breast, where her heart was, she smiled as she dug her hand in, a scream ripping off the girls lips as she grabbed hold of it and squeezed hard. Pulling it towards her, she lavished the terror in the girls eyes, the absolute agony she was feeling, and the feel of the heartbeat in her palm as she yanked it out.
 
The girl fell lifeless and motionless as her blood spilled onto the white flowers, and her soul seeped into the white flower. Picking up a flower with her blood on it, the demon watched as the flower sucked up her blood, and faded away in her hands, to be on the pillow next to the girl's mother. Frowning slightly, the demon pulled a small container out of her kimono, and placed the heart inside. Sighing as the sin began to rise, she held at her arms as her and the flowers began to fade away into nothing.
 
Kagome awoke screaming at dawn the next morning, and began crying as Sango tried to calm her down. InuYasha sent Shippou to get Kaede, and tried to understand why Kagome was screaming about her heart ; that she needed her heart back. Kaede walked in and slapped Kagome across the face.
 
“Get yourself together child.” Kagome began rocking back and forth as Kaede tried to calm her down. “Now, tell me what happened.”
 
“The girl . . . and she took her heart and soul . . . blood and soul in flower. . .so much blood . . . so much blood . . . “ She stammered. Kaede sighed and hugged her. She turned to Sango.
 
“Take her to the river, get her washed up and try to calm her down.” She directed InuYasha.
 
InuYasha looked a little nervous, but he swept her up, and slowly walked out of the hut. Growling at women and men who came near to see what was wrong with her, he instinctively tightened his grip on her, making her cry out, and immediately he loosened his grip, flattening his ears on his head as he walked a little faster. Once they got to the forest, Kagome looked around. “Where are we going?”
 
“Kaede thought that you needed to be taken to the river for a relaxing swim that you always liked.” He said simply.
 
“I . . . I want to go back home.”
 
InuYasha grimaced. “I know. And I'm so sorry. If I could open the well back up for you, I could ---“
 
“No. Not that home. My home is here. It always was.” InuYasha looked down at Kagome as he slowed down his pace. She sighed and laid her head on his chest, grabbing handfuls of his haori as she shuddered lightly.
 
“Your cold?”
 
“No . . . “
 
“Your lying.” He stopped and put her down by a nearby tree, taking on of her hands and putting it on the trunk for leverage. He took of his haori, and draped it around her shoulders. “You can't go swimming. You'll get sick.”
 
“I'm fine. I told you. “ He narrowed his eyes at her, and she sighed.
 
“What do you want to do then? Because your not going swimming.”
 
“I . . . I think I want to stay here, away from it all. . . “
 
“Are you sure?”
 
Kagome looked over her shoulder for a while, before she nodded. InuYasha sighed and picked her up again. “There's a cave not far from the pond. We can stay there until you want to go home.”
 
“We?”
 
“I'm not going to leave you there alone,” He whimpered. “Unless you don't want me to come.”
 
Kagome placed her head back on his chest. “That would be fine.”
 
InuYasha walked until he reached a large waterfall, and he walked next to it to reveal a cave. Kagome smiled as he walked in, and her eyes widened in surprise. Logs, and stew were already on the fire, as well as the sleeping bag she bought for him a long time ago. “InuYasha?”
 
“This is were I stay . . . when I have to get away for a while. I was here this morning. I thought that you could keep my secret for me? I've been staying here ever since I was young.” Kagome smiled.
 
“Yeah, I'll keep your secret.” She said as he laid her down on the sleeping bag. She yawned. “InuYasha? What do you mean by when you have to get away for a while?”
 
InuYasha's cheeks blossomed into a crimson red as he sat down beside her. “Nothing important wench. Now get to sleep.”
 
Kagome bit back her retort as she did was she was told.
 
How could InuYasha tell her that he had to get away from her? It would break her heart, and tear into millions of pieces, only because she wouldn't understand. He only left when she was in heat, which was a stronger and more alluring scent that he had ever smelled in his life, and when his demon blood became stronger the one night when her heat cycle ends.
 
He had to get away, in fear of himself. He didn't want to hurt her. She was everything that he couldn't understand. His youkai wanted her, the human cared for her, and the hanyou was in love with her. But she didn't want to be with him. Not a filthy half-breed. InuYasha wrinkled his nose. She deserves better.
 
You are the better she deserves. A voice in the back of his head told him. InuYasha snorted. Whatever that was, they have to be stupid, because he was absolutely sure that she didn't have feelings for him the way he had feelings for her. He looked at her, and gave a very puppy like whimper.
 
She was extraordinarily beautiful. Nothing he'd ever seen before, and as he grown to know her, she looked nothing like Kikyou. She was a beauty all in herself with a pure heart and a loving soul. Everything that he didn't deserve. His hands have slayed too many demons to touch her, his mouth had said too many harsh things to taste her, and his mind thought too many ecchi thoughts of her to think about her in a regular way.
 
He convinced himself that he didn't have the right to love her, he didn't have the right to ask her to be his mate, but he wanted to so bad that he could feel his insides boiling.
 
But I can't . . . He thought stubbornly as he tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear. He used his knuckles to stroke her cheek, pondering how her flesh could be so smooth, so creamy, so tasteable. Leaning down, he kissed her on her cheek softly, and winced when she sighed and pushed her face on his knuckles. She's too perfect for me.

8:88:888:88:8

Sango sighed as Miroku looked her way for the hundredth time that night. “Do you need something lech?”
 
“Nope. I'm just fine thank you.”
 
She sighed again. Ever since they defeated Naraku, he had been changing. He didn't talk to her like he used to, didn't smile and laugh with her like he used to. . .He just stared. No talking, smiling, frowning, nothing but eyeball connection. And it was starting to pluck her nerves. She opened her mouth to say something when she felt Kirara's soft paw on her knees. The feline gave a little mew.
 
“Hello there.” Sango said happily as she picked up Kirara and began petting her. “Where have you been?” Kirara jumped out of her arms and ran outside. Sango looked over her shoulder; he was boring holes into her back. Or what better be my back . . . “Houshi-sama, why do you stare at me so?”
 
She watched as his cheeks took on a pink hue, and he coughed softly. “Sango, I watch you from afar for various reasons.”
 
“And that may be?”
 
“Your beauty surpasses anything I have ever seen. Your potency as a woman that has lived through so much calamity makes me strive to work harder, to become stronger in life.” Sango turned and looked at him as he crawled over to her.
 
“Really? Do you mean that Houshi . . .H-Houshi-sama? What are you d-doing?”
 
Miroku licked his lips as he gaze fell to hers.
 
“Nothing my dear . . . .”
 
Sango gulped and tried again. “W-What are you d-doing?”
 
Miroku chuckled as traced his finger across her jaw, making her eyes flutter close. But they instantly snapped open when his soft lips captured hers. He took the dominant roll, teaching her how to toy with him, and him toying with her. He showed her how much she meant to him, how she was his reason to keep going, that she was the only thing that kept him going in the fight with Naraku.
 
He was glad that he would be able to live the simple life of a man, but he couldn't do it on his own. He needed the moral support, the comfort of knowing that someone was home that loved him. He wanted to love someone so much that he would sacrifice everything to be with her, to make him smile. He was willing to renounce being a monk, just to be with Sango. To think that he made this choice as he got to know her, and that day she almost slipped away from him was enough to make him cry.
 
Remembering how he almost lost her, remembering the look on her face as she coughed and blood seeped all over her youkai's exterminator clothing, he pulled her close to him in a deadly embrace as his body took to dangerous shuddering.
 
She gasped as he began sucking on her bottom lip, and she pulled back and tried to look at him, but he had his face buried deep in her neck. She tugged on his shoulders, but he wouldn't let go. “Houshi-sama?”
 
“I almost lost you . . . “He said weakly as he grip tightened. “I don't want to ever feel that way again . . . “
 
She gasped softly as she stared at the back of his head. This is what had him so shaken? That she had almost died in the battle with Naraku, that the only reason she was saved was because he whispered something in her ear that was faint in her memory? What did he tell me? . . . “You don't have to.” She said softly.
 
“I won't ever leave you.”

8:88:888:88:8

 
Kagome awokewith a start as she heard a rustle of the sleeping mat. Blinking her eyes as the darkness registered, she felt something heavy draping over her waist, she turned slightly to see honey golden eyes sleepily looking at her. She gasped as her cheeks took on a red hue. "InuYasha?" She whispered.
 
He said nothing, just stared at her with a ferocity that made her want to run and hide. His eyes clear like the ocean, the fire burning in them bright as the morning sun, they softened slightly as she smiled, but the fire within them raged on. Was she causing this change in him? She would never knew, but the thought of being so close to him caused butterflies in her stomach. "Your awake." He said so gently it startled her.
 
She chuckled nervously. "Yeah. I thought you had left."
 
"Why would I leave?" He said, his gaze darkening as his voice took on a husky tone.
 
She shuddered as his breath fanned over her neck. Why was he making her feel like this? Was he doing it on purpose? Don't be stupid Higurashi! She screamed at herself. He's half-sleep. He would never come onto you like this. InuYasha watched as her face contorted into a scowl, and her gaze dropped sadly. "What's wrong?"
 
She shook her head as she scooted closer to him, feeling his whole body freezing like ice. His breath became ragged as she held onto his undershirt, and cuddled closer to him, her head on his chest. "Nothing . . ."
 
"Are you sure?"
 
She nodded. She closed her eyes for a little while. "InuYasha?"
 
"Hmmm?"
 
"It's nice . . . Being with you like this."
 
InuYasha smiled. "It is." He said. "Get back to sleep."

8:88:888:88:8

 
A/N
 
Awww! This chapter is so sweet. Ok, I would like to announce that most likely I'll be able to update everday. But, most likely, it'll be in the morning, or at night. I doubt in the middle of the day when I come home from school. I have a brother, a mother who works for the government, and a stepfather who shares a passion for video games like me and my oldest brother. So, most likely, I'll be tied up in the middle of the day. Enjoy!