InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Modifications ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Modification

8:88:888:88:8

Kagome yawned as she walked into the hut as the break of dusk. It had already been at least a week ever since the well was destroyed, and she had taken it upon herself to fulfil the village duties, as Kaede was old and growing weary. InuYasha scowled as she stumbled to her sleeping bag and sat on it, rubbing her eyes sleepily and leaning over to lay down, when InuYasha tugged her back up and shoved a bowl of stew under her nose. "Eat."
 
 
"But InuYasha . . . "She yawned again. "I'm not hungry. Just really really tired. . . "
 
 
InuYasha snorted. "You haven't eaten in two days wench. Eat."
 
 
Kagome frowned at the bowl of food and pushed it away. "Not hungry."
 
 
InuYasha opened his mouth to retort, when he intercepted a glance from the old woman, and with another diapproving snort to Kagome, he gave the bowl to the begging kitsune at his feet. Taking his usual stance behind Kagome, he watched as she laid down and immediately fell asleep. "Pitiful." He commented.
 
 
"Aye . . . this may be taking a toll on her more than I have anticipated."
 
 
“Ya damn right ya old hag! She won't even eat, and she's never around . . . " InuYasha stopped short as his realized his confession. "Plus, she needs my help too much." He grumbled.
 
 
Kaede didn't comment on that right away. Instead, she watched as the demon exterminator stared at the sleeping monk, who had earlier that week hurt his ankle, and most of his body's stored energy was being used to heal that wound faster than he needed it to be. He had been sleeping soundly for half the day, often up in the middle of the night in pain because the medicines Kaede provided lasted merely for a couple of hours. Fighting back a grin that was twitching at the corner of her lips, she called Kirara to her side. Giving the feline a little treat (that she usually did in secrecy), the feline looked confused, but took the gift.
 
 
"Old hag," InuYasha called. Silence followed. "Hello? Old hag? She finally croaked?"
 
 
"Ye knows this 'old hag' has a name InuYasha. If Kagome wasn't sleeping peacefully, I would wake her and ask her to subdue you. Just what ailes ye?" Kaede asked drier than InuYasha ever thought possible.
 
 
InuYasha grimaced. "Do you think that . . . she's happy here? That she wanted to to go back home, and never return?"
 
 
Kaede looked at the hanyou, who was stubbornly avoiding her gaze. "I do not know. Maybe ye should ask her yourself."
 
 
If only it were that easy . . . He though as he bit his lip in an attempt to keep from reaching to touch her velvety soft skin that glowed. Her pinks lips were pursed out, almost in a pout, and she groaned as she turned over away from him.
 
 
He never understood why he felt he had to disturb her, when she was awake. Her voice was able to make her subdue to his will, her painful smiles made him cringe, and her tears made him want to tear something apart. But when she was sleep as peaceful as she was, she looked so innocent, so carefree, so vulnerable, that InuYasha had no choice but to protect her.
 
 
The way she always relaxed when he was around, and how her demeaner relaxed when she knew thay he was within youkai earshot, it made him feel all warm and bubbly inside. He remembered he used to watch Kikyou with the same intensity. But there was a difference that he didn't understand. A ferocity that had two different emotions that he wasn't able to put a finger on--- he tightened his hold on Tetsusaiga.
 
 
It didn't matter. He would protect her. No matter what he had to do to ensure she was safe.
 
 
If I have to die . . . He stared at her figure for a moment. I'll do it. I'll do it just for you Kagome. As long as you're safe.

8:88:888:88:8

Kagome grinned as InuYasha brought over the buckets of water with a bored expression on his face. Laying them beside him, he didn't miss the chance to give her the infamous 'pout' that he knew she loved, and watched as she nursed the young boy laying before her gently. "Why did I have to help?"
 
 
"Because InuYasha, your my friend, aren't you?" She turned around and grinned at him.
 
 
He couldn't find a way to answer her. No matter how many times she assured him that she was okay, no matter how many times she told him that she enjoyed being in his time, that sad smile and those melancholy eyes told the story. It made him whine, and her eyes filled with concern, but not masking that emotion she fought to hide so well. "Kagome . .. I . . . "
 
 
His statement was never able to tumble off his lips as the young boy began to whimper and Kagome's nervousness radiated off her in waves that disturbed InuYasha more than he could ever understand. Kagome did well, she frequently changed the rags on the boys forehead, forced him to drink a solution, practiced everything Kaede taught her and more. Her youki shined with fatigue, but she forced her body to fight, harder than her will wanted to, and it was taking it's toll on her to the point when she stood up the staggered and almost fell.
 
 
"See! I told you---" InuYasha growled as he helped her sit down. Bringing one of the buckets to her lips, he watched closely as he held it and she drank from it.
 
 
"I'm fine---"
 
 
"No, your not." He said. His eyes flashed with anger, and worry, and Kagome sighed.
 
 
"I'm sorry, but his fever broke, and tomorrow's the weekend. Kaede takes over. I'll rest then, okay?"
 
 
InuYasha didn't look convinced, but he nodded his head slowly just as she turned and began to nurse the boy once again.
 
 
In a couple of hours, his fever was broken, and it was basically the middle of the night. Kagome, with the help of InuYasha, walked out of the hut and proceeded to walk back home slowly. "Kagome, can I ask you a question?"
 
 
Kagome was half asleep. "Kagome?"
 
 
"Hmmm?" She answered groggly. InuYasha bit back a chuckle.
 
 
"C'mon. Let's get you home."
 
 
Letting out a small squeak as he swept her up and began sprinting, she looked around in surprise when he past the hut and proceeded into the forest. Where's he taking me? She asked as she laid her head on his shoulder.
 
 
"InuYasha?"
 
 
"Almost there."
 
 
"Are we going back to the cave?"
 
 
"Yup."
 
 
"How come?"
 
 
"So you won't sneak and try to work yourself to death wench. I can tell when you are hiding something."
 
 
Biting her lip stubbornly as she gave a snort to tell him about just how right he was, he stopped right in front of the waterfall, the blue water a silk blanket as the moon refleted on it like a rug, and the stars making it glow as sparkle as it if was littered with glitter. Kagome gasped and stepped towards it as InuYasha set her down, stubbling once again as she was reminded she was completely weak. "See? You're going to kill yourself."
 
 
She bit back a retort as he carried her over to the water. Dipping her finger inside, she drew it back as she icy cold water registered, and a moment later, she dipped her whole hand inside, and watched as the fish that had skittered away upon her first arrival slowly crept towrds her hand, before one finally grazed itself against it. With a giggle, she drew her hand back. "It tickles." She explained, still leaning over InuYasha's arm, gazing into the water.
 
 
The water caused her skin to glow blue in the moonlight, making her face and eyes shine with a magnificent that sought to enrage his senses and drag him to the brink of insanity. Watching as her eyes glowed and fluttered with amusement and pure glee as the fishdanced in the water underneath her, it didn't surprise her when she reached out and cautioudly ran her finger across the scales of a youngster.
 
 
Looking up at him, her cheeks exploded with embarrassed colors as he looked at her, amusement evident with something else that made her heart flutter and stomach explode into butterflies as they stared at each other for a moment. Something . . . she didn't know what it was . . . but something past between them, a mutual understanding? She didn't know, but it made her feel closer to him than she ever believed she could, and that made her want to cry. The main reason why she didn't know she burst into tears. "Oi! What are you crying for!"
 
 
"I . . . " She wailed. "I . . . "
 
 
InuYasha hurriedly brought her into the cave and let her down on the soft furs that were there already. Pushing her bangs out of her eyes as he brought her on his lap, he whispered soothing words as he tried anything and everything to get her to stop crying. "Whatever I did . . . whatever I said . .. I'm so sorry but just don't cry."
 
 
This eased her a little, and in a matter of minutes, she was giving little sniffles and hiccups. He sighed as he set her back down, and ran his fingers agonizingly along the hard cold floor. She winced and whined a little before she covered her ears. "Don't do that . . . please stop . . . "
 
 
"Then stop . . . "He did it again. "Stop crying . . . ."
 
 
"I'm not crying!"
 
 
"Your still hurting! I can't take it!" He bellowed as he punched the ground, making a fairly sized dent. "Please . . . I'm sorry for destroying the well . . . just stop hurting!"
 
 
Kagome gasped as her red eyes widened slightly. "What?"
 
 
"Stop hurting. Please . . . I'd give anything if you would just stop hurting."

8:88:888:88:8

Miroku blinked in the darkness as two things registered to him. One, his ankle was throbbing. Two, there was a form beside him, soft, and something was pressing into his back and lower buttocks that caused his groin to react even though he didn't know what it was. Turning his body halfway around, he still couldn't tell what the mass was, so he tried to turn over.
 
 
Everything was almost over, except for his legs. He lifted his bad leg first, and quickly brought it down harder than he intended to, causing him to hiss in pain and coil up, stabbing the mass with his knee a little rough, causing the person to sit up like a bolt of lightening and look around. "H-Houshi-sama? What's wrong?"
 
 
Sango? What was she doing . . . He didn't have the strength to answer until the agony receeded to a dull pulse that still made him uncomfortable. He bit his tongue to keep from crying out, and simply shook his head. "Nothing. Is everything alright with you?"
 
 
Sango nodded and shifted slightly into the moonlight, causing her eyes to glow in the moonlight and her skin to glow an eerie blue. Her hair glistened like the sun, causing him to blink and stifle a groan as his eyes fell lower. Noticing her bust a little bit more 'noticable', his groin lurched and this time he did groan, and his eyes raked over her whole figure as something registered on him.
 
 
She had on one of Kagome's 'robes', something she always wore after baths, but usually proceeded to put on her sleepwear. But it must have been to hot, for her to resolve sleeping in the silky chantrice piece of clothing, which made her beauty absolutely stunning to the point he forgot to breath. "Where's Kaede?"
 
 
"In another hut taking care of the young boy that Kagome was nursing earlier. It seems he has been having halluciations, and then she has to go away for about a week to purify a soul that haunts the lords castle. The soldier at the other end of the village was so nice to volunteer to escort her since InuYasha and Kagome was away, and they won't be coming back until two days. Shippou and Kirara is going with Kaede, so that leaves me to take care of you. Why, is something wrong?"
 
 
Miroku nearly groaned as he shook his head slowly and winced again, his pain becoming more evident than he expected it to be. Looking at Sango, he could see something in his eyes had been troubling her, and he wanted her to tell him, but he wasn't the type to beg, even though it was what he was so close to doing right now. "Sango, what troubles you?"
 
 
"H-Houshi-sama . . . I remember . . . It's stupid." She looked away.
 
 
Miroku used his arms to help him sit up, and despite the pain, caused him to move his ankle and sit up next to her. "Sango, nothing is stupid. Tell me, I am here to help you."
 
 
"When we were fighting Naraku . . . I remember you told me something . . . but I can't remember what it is."
 
 
Miroku blushed. "I . . . Sango, I think it would be best if I allowed you to remember. I remember that you made a confession, and that you asked me something. I made you a promise, do you remember?" Sango shook her head slowly. She turned her head slightly and didn't have time to react as Miroku pressed his lips to hers. Caught in a mix of being entranced and surprised, she didn't fight him off, didn't punish him, but she invited him to capture all of her . . . when she remembered.
 
 
She remembered being hit by her own boomerang. She remembered a deep gash in her stomach that was leaking quickly,and how her heart beat slowed as she fell to the ground. Miroku was quick to her side, she she knew it was a matter of time before she would lost consciousness, and probably die.
 
 
"Sango . . . " He pleaded. "You have to hold on."
 
 
"Miroku . . . " His name tumbled off her cherry lips just before blood rose out of her mouth and onto his face. He didn't whipe it away, didn't flinch, just stared at her as she went limp in his arms. "I . . . I've loved you all this time . . . Did you know? What I would have given to have a family with you . . . bare you the son that you have always wanted. . . but it seems that you didn't want me to bare you a son . . ."
 
 
"No . . . Sango . . . I was always to afraid to ask---"
 
 
She brought a cold finger to his lips . . . shushed him as she gave a smile; one that tore at his heart, like a dagger in his soul. This caused him to cringe. "Promise me something . . . that's you'll never forget me. Oh, and make sure InuYasha and Kagome don't kill each other." She laughed weakly before another flow of blood came out of her mouth.
 
 
He leaned down and brought his ear close to her lips as her eyes closed and her hand went limp. "I know your alive, so listen. If you survive . . . I won't ever leave you . . . I'll propose myself to you . . . denounce myself as a monk just to live as your husband. But you have to live . . . don't leave me and I won't leave you."
 
 
Pulling back, she gasped as she stared at him in the moonlight. He knew . . . She could tell he knew that she remembered. But it seemed that he was waiting, he was waiting for her. He didn't press her, and this made her throw herself onto of him with a sob.
 
 
He was caught offguard, and was fairly surprised when she kissed him with a ferocity he never thought she possessed. He never knew this kind of fire was still within him, it made him cringe as he brought them to the floor, him rubbing his hand up and down her back, her running her hands through the hair that was now pulled out of his ponytail. "Sango . . . " He caught her chin with his index finger. "Are you sure you want this?"
 
 
"Houshi-sama . . . I've never wanted anything more in my life . . . "
 
 
"You have to be absolutely sure." She leaned down and kissed him again, but still, she held back, and this was enough to stop her when he felt her taking off her robe and feeling the material on his feet. She took his hands and brought them up to her breast, causing him to groan and shudder before she brought his hands away. She looked hurt. "Sango . . . Your not ready. I can tell you are not."
 
 
"Houshi-sama?"
 
 
"You have to understand . . . that this is something that cannot be undone. And because I am willing to spend the rest of my life with you, I'll wait. We have forever, you don't have to rush everything."
 
 
She laid her head on his chest as she sighed and closed her eyes. "Thank you houshi-sama."
 
 
"And . . . call me Miroku. Miroku's just fine."

8:88:888:88:8

 
A/N
 
 
Well . . . things are going much faster than I thought . . . but it works just as well. Let's see what happens between our heroes, shall we? Enjoy!