InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Demoralizing ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Demoralizing

8:88:888:88:8

Miroku hungrily gulped down the stew that was for dinner as Sango sat nearby, stroking Kirara's soft fur with a soft hum. The light from the fire mixed with the moonlight gave her skin a blue glow, caused her eyes to stand out like the stars in the midnight sky. Miroku's eyes raked hungrily over her figure as disbelieve assailed him. This young woman was ready for him, actually wanted him. She was everything he ever wanted, ever needed, and yet was the only woman he only asked 'the question' too when she pointed it out. It wasn't that he wasn't interested. He just respected her as a young woman.
 
 
He remembered how she looked when they broke the news to her that Kohaku hadn't been able to survive without the Shikon No Kakera. She was completely lost, had even taken Kirara and rode off somewhere and didn't return until dawn the next morning, her face swollen, her eyes red and puffy, and for the better part of a week, and she mute.
 
 
Looking into her eyes now, he could still see the loneliness, the sadness that she tried to hard to hide from him. He could still hear when she would cry at night, yet he never had the courage to move, and too soothe her. Sighing as she looked up and glanced at him, she blushed softly. He grinned at her. She broke the gaze.
 
 
Shifting slightly so that a lot of weight wasn't on his bandaged foot, he stretched, yawning loudly as the moonlight rays began to seep out of the hut. Her face, however, was now highlighted in the light. He had never seen anyone so beautiful, had never wanted anyone as much as he wanted her. But for her, he was willing to wait, and if he had too, he would wait forever, as long as she was ready for him.
 
 
She didn't talk about her village much. But she visited once a month. She made a special grave for Kohaku; right under the great tree that over looked the whole village. She planted around it with beautiful flowers, and even nailed his weapon onto the trunk. In the trunk, she engraved:
 
 
Kohaku
 
 
A BraveYoukai Exterminator; My Beloved Brother
 
 
He nearly cried at the torn look she had when it was finally time to leave. She was forever held her, and he had a feeling nothing he could do could stop her from being here. She had been raised as a youkai exterminator all her life; nothing could stop the blood coursing through her veins. But she has been through too much tragedy for a simple human to endure. How much longer will she be able to vent out her pain on youkai that preyed on humans?
 
 
Her exterior was cracking right in his face, and there was nothing he could do about it. Talking to her about it would only go to make her stray away from him further, and even though she understood that he cared, why couldn't she trust him with her inner most secrets, shared the burden and hurt of losing her family and friends to a hoard of lies and deceit that will never make sense? He was fading away inside; the distance she was making between them was causing an aching void. The only time he could remember it not hurting, was that night she devoted herself, not fully understand the aftereffects of being committed.
 
 
He was glad that she took his offer to wait. There were too many secrets, too much pain, and even though his body didn't react with his feelings, his k new in his heart that allowing her to fulfill her quest was the right thing to do, for her, as well as him. He knew deep in his heart that she needed the time he was willing to give to her. She was a paradox in motion, a goddess in disguise who didn't truly realize how beautiful she was herself. A mystery by kami, a secret meant only to be unlocked by true love, Miroku strived to understand this being that was now a woman. He sought to be in her heart, to have her care for him; he strove to be with her.
 
 
He wanted to be what she could call home. He wanted her to understand that he would be there for her, and that he would always be there for her. He wanted to her understand just how much she meant to him, what it would mean to him if he ever lost her . . .
 
 
"Miroku?"
 
 
"Hmmm?" He said, quite startled that she uttered something so soft it didn't look like her lips were moving.
 
 
"I . . . I think that . . . my village," She sighed and rubbed a free hand over her face.
 
 
"Is there something wrong?"
 
 
"No, it's just that," She shook her head. "I . . . its stupid."
 
 
He sighed angrily. "How many times do I have to tell you darling Sango? Nothing you say to me will ever be stupid. What is it you have to tell me?"
 
 
"I . . . I want you to meet my father."

8:88:888:88:8

 
 
"InuYasha . . . it's creepy here."
 
 
InuYasha snorted. "No it's not. It's just like your room."
 
 
Kagome scoffed. "Hardly. At least I have the warm sheets to reassure me Mr. Obnoxious."
 
 
InuYasha flattened his ears on his head, which went unnoticed, for the it was very dark, and the fire was dying out. Kagome aimlessly poked a stick into it, growling deep in her throat when that only made the situation worse. InuYasha could smell the fear that was radiating off of her in waves. He always thought that she was brave, and strong. But being afraid of the dark? That was just pitiful.
 
 
And adoring too. You knowyou love it.
 
 
He didn't comment as he watched her glance around frantically as something scurried past them. InuYasha, who knew quite well it was a foolish rabbit testing his luck, didn't flinch as Kagome let out a sharp gasp and began crawling towards him. "Why didn't we leave in the morning?" She shrieked as she fire died out and she stopped moving completely.
 
 
InuYasha shrugged. "Maybe because the demon only strikes at night."
 
 
"So what? At this rate, if she comes we won't be able to see her."
 
 
"Stop being a baby."
 
 
"I'm not a baby."
 
 
"Yes you are."
 
 
"I would say you're baby," Kagome muttered dryly. "But you're pushing a hundred. So I guess you're almost my great-grandfather?"
 
 
"Are you trying to say I'm old?"
 
 
"No," Kagome shrugged simply. "Just bitter."
 
 
"Oi!"
 
 
Kagome didn't comment as a feeling of total turmoil rose within her. He wasn't doing not a thing to help the fire, and it was pretty obvious that she was terrified. Did he enjoy seeing her like this? Did he want her to be tormented with the fact that anything could some and get her? She straightened her shoulders, trying to prove that she wasn't as vulnerable and childish as he may believe she was, when she heard a slight rustle. She stiffened immediately as she heard footsteps coming towards her. "InuYasha . . .” She whispered.
 
 
She felt a slightly heavy pressure on her shoulders, as well as the immediate warmth of someone sitting behind her before she was pulled back by her shoulders and was lying across his lap. Trying to hide the blush and to accept that he was acting strange, she gasped softly as his soft, shaking hands pushed her bangs out of her face. His eyes glowed out in the darkness, making a twinkle like no other before they turned into a deep honey brown, making her throat turn dry and she gave a little whine. "Hush wench. I'm right here."
 
 
She smiled despite the emotions that washed over hers in waves and turned slightly, pushed her head into what she didn't know was his inner thigh, and with a sigh, closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep. InuYasha, however, was stone. Aw hell . . .
 
 
InuYasha stiffened tightly as she whimpered as he scooted back and leaned on the trunk of a tree. Holding Tetsusaiga in one hand and her in the other, she had fallen asleep way too easily, and the fear that radiated off of her was now replaced with something more feminine, sweeter, and spicy. It send his youkai into a boiling fit, made his ears and throat react in ways he didn't understand, and he was constantly digging his nose in her hair. She smelled like wildflowers in a pure meadow. Her scent soothed him, coaxed him, and at the same time, scared him to the point he often fled when she entered 4 day cycle.
 
 
She must have didn't know that it was coming, because when the wind blew, it was as strong as ever, drifting it into his nostrils and causing him to moan and twitch. She stirred slightly, whispering something in her sleep that he couldn't discern, and then stilled once again.
 
 
InuYasha, thanks to his inu-youkai instincts that he inherited from his father, he could see her perfectly. Her raven hair glowed purple from the little bit of moonlight that managed to rake over her body. Her skin glowed blue, bright like her eyes, tingled with her aura that battled his own playfully, flaring, and then dying down, only to flare again. She looked so peaceful, so carefree, and so young when she was sleeping. When she awoke, it seems all she did was cry, nothing could soothe her. She was constantly running from loads of youkai, or she would be just downright mad at some idiotic thing that he was certain to do.
 
 
Shaking his head as he fought the desire to wake her up, he watched as the lines of stress and worry on her face fade away, and she smiled as she muttered his name and nuzzled her face into his thigh. He bit the inside of his cheek to keep from doing something irrational, and watched as she wrapped her arms around his waist and held onto him tightly. He grinned as he traced his claw lightly over her delicate features, nearly jumping out of his skin when her eyes popped open. He opened his mouth to say something, but she lifted her head, not realizing he brought it so close, he could feel the cool air of her breath on his lips. He shuddered and she moved a little closer, where InuYasha could feel the heat of her mouth radiating to his. "InuYasha? InuYasha?"
 
 
"I'm right here." He said softly. She sighed and leaned her head forward, resting it on his shoulder. "Are you okay? You were talking in your sleep."
 
 
She tightened her hold on him, pressing her face into his shoulder and bit back tears. "I . . . I had a dream she tried to take you away. She tried to kill you and take you away from me."
 
 
"Who K'Gome?" He muttered softly, trying to ease her mind out of the haze that was scaring her.
 
 
"Kikyou . . . "She whispered.”InuYasha!"
 
 
"I'm right here." He said softly, resting his hand on the back of her head and running his claws through the raven locks that shined so pretty in the moonlight.
 
 
"Promise," She said softly, lifting her face up again. It was almost she knew what she was doing, knew she was making him feel things that he never felt before, and for some reason, he liked believing that. "Promise you won't leave. Ever."
 
 
"I," InuYasha stammered. "I promise."

8:88:888:88:8

Sango watched as Kirara rolled happily in the grass with Shippou and some of the village children. She had brought the subject up to Miroku after he stared at her for what seemed hours, and he seemed surprised, but a strange glint in her eyes told her more than what his tone of voice did.
 
 
"Miroku?"
 
 
"Hmmm?" He said, quite startled that she uttered something so soft it didn't look like her lips were moving.
 
 
"I . . . I think that . . . my village," She sighed and rubbed a free hand over her face.
 
 
"Is there something wrong?"
 
 
"No, it's just that," She shook her head. "I . . . itsstupid."
 
 
He sighed angrily. "How many times do I have to tell you darling Sango? Nothing you say to me will ever be stupid. What is it you have to tell me?"
 
 
"I . . . I want you to meet my father."
 
 
"You're. . . father?" He said slowly, his eyes glowing, his masculine face tight with nervousness. She nodded nervously, closed her eyes as she awaited him to refuse her. Instead, he only smiled. "Sango, if that is what you desire, as you wish."
 
 
Sango was surprised. She cocked her head to the side. "H-Miroku? Do you think . . . would you like to travel with me, to say a final goodbye to my village, my heritage, my life?"
 
 
Miroku didn't say anything for a while. When he did though, his voice was thick with emotion, and Sango did a double take. "Sango, tell me why you wish to give up your ambition, what keeps your soul stronger than that of a normal human's?"
 
 
"It's time to move on. I have revenged their brutal murders. I have no reason to return to the place that just refills my container of pain. I'm just going to throw away the whole container, and start over." She looked at him, a pleading desire in her eyes. "I want to start it over . . . with you."
 
 
Miroku opened his mouth to say something, but in the end, only smiled, and repeated what he had been saying for the whole conversation. "As you wish."
 
 
Why did he look so hurt? She admitted she wanted to start over, to live a life with him. But he wasn't satisfied. He was hiding something, and no matter how hard her heart pressed her to confront him, she didn't have the nerve, the guts to do it. She felt that he was angry and disappointed in her, and his eyes glowed with an angry fire that she had never seen before. He hadn't looked at her for the rest of the night. After he went to sleep, she proceeded to follow his lead. Now, she was waiting for Kaede to give him one last check up, supply him with the medicine and bandages and food for the three day trip, and to see them out the village.
 
 
Maybe this would give her the chance to finally figure out if he was true about his feelings for her. He was going to give up his whole life, his training, just to be with her, and she felt that in return, she should give up her life profession for him. It was only fair, and that just starts the list of things she would do for him. She shook her head as Shippou hopped over Kirara's head, tapped the neko lightly, and screamed in delight when she chased him around in circles.
 
 
Kaede walked up to her, and Sango hurriedly stood up as Miroku, who was carried by two men from the villagers, stood on one foot, and gave her an encouraging smile. Kirara, who understood her help was needed, transformed into her large state and allowed Miroku to be seated on her back. Miroku, with a grunt of happiness, leaned forward, kissed the great cat on her head and slipped her a treat, which Sango caught. She narrowed her eyes and he grinned innocently.
 
 
Kaede handed Sango large packets wrapped in clothe, told her the periods in which she should give him the medication, and advised her to take shelter at night. She told her of a recent cave that was found halfway to their destination, behind the forest, and on the far side of the mountains. She told her she had a couple of ofudas that would protect them if they needed sleep. With an uttered thank you, Sango took the gifts, grabbed her weapon, got on Kirara, and flew away.
 
 
Miroku took hold of her hips securely, and even though it was a gesture that he'd been doing for a long time, it didn't stop the feeling of butterflies in her stomach, even when he laid his head on her shoulder, nuzzling his cheek lightly on hers. "You smell so enticing . . . "He muttered under his breath.
 
 
Sango didn't comment. She had a feeling the medicine was making him act like this. But still . . . She shifted uncomfortably, and whined as his grip tightened, not allowing her to move. Laying his head back down, he whispered a simple phrase, a plead that sent her reeling, made her gasp and her back twitch, made her belly flutter and her heart explode. "Don't leave me my goddess . . ."
 
 
Goddess? He called me a goddess? She thought as she stared forward, tightening her soft grip on the feline's fur and demanding her heart to stop hammering against her chest. She didn't know what caused that simple change, but as soon as it began, it had soon ended, as he had fallen asleep minutes later. Sango sighed and shook her head. Maybe this was more than she had cut it out to be. They rode on for a couple of hours, until Miroku began to lean to the side, and Sango decided to stop and camp until he had awoken. It was still early morning; they had hardly been gone for an hour, so she didn't mind to have a pit stop.
 
 
She ordered Kirara to stop, and with a mew, the neko landed neatly in between a circle of trees and bushes that hid them fairly well. Sango petted the feline as she kissed her in between her eyes and gave her a silent thank you. Hopping off of her back, she turned and began to gently shake Miroku, startling him to the point the stumbled. "Sorry." He muttered with embarrassment.
 
 
She smiled and shook her head as she laid out a futon Kaede had given to them and helped Miroku onto it. He sat down slowly, grimaced as he hit his ankle against a branch that was under the futon, but didn't say anything as he finally relaxed and waited for her. She pulled out a couple of 'energy bars' Kagome had usually left for the taiji, and she tossed two to Miroku. "This is all we have until we get to the village."
 
 
"Then what are we supposed to eat when we get to the cave?"
 
 
"Kaede said she sent a messenger to tell the village near that cave to prepare it for us. But for now, eat that to have something on your stomach." Miroku reluctantly ate it, showing him his disapproval by making a face every time he swallowed it.
 
 
"You're acting like InuYasha." Sango said with a giggled as she sat next to him.
 
 
Miroku shrugged. "Maybe we don't take time to understand our baka friend."
 
 
"But they are pretty good." Sango said, looking at the snack from all angles. "And Kagome said they were healthy."
 
 
"Yes, but what's the good of them being healthy if they taste awful?"
 
 
"I thought you liked them." She pouted slightly. "You liked them when Kagome gave them to you."
 
 
"I liked them only because I did not wish to hurt our friend's feelings. But since you are my friend, I trust you enough to discard this---"
 
 
"Don't even do it lech."
 
 
"Oh, back to the name calling? I guess I'll give the squirrels a treat . . .”
 
 
"Don't do it to yourself. You need the energy. You eat it, or I'm going to feed it to you. And I don't think you want that."
 
 
She stared at him through dark eyes, daring him to object. With a sigh of disgust, he crammed the rest of the bar in his mouth and swallowed, his eyes watering up as he twisted his face into a scowl, one that made Sango sputter with laughter.
 
 
"Glad you're happy."

8:88:888:88:8

 
 
A/N
 
 
Well, sorry for the delay. Very sorry. Enjoy!