InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Melancholy ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Melancholy
 
8:88:888:88:8
 
Kagome watched as InuYasha began cooking the breakfast with a marked frown on his face. He seemed deliberately trying to ignore her, trying to act like she wasn't there, and she had the nerve to walk over to him and slap him. "Just what is your problem?"
 
 
"Nothing." He said his tone tight; clipped.
 
 
"Yeah? Then why are you acting like an old bitter cat?"
 
 
InuYasha was offended by this. "A cat? Oh, that was priceless wench. You've called me a hag, an old fart, but never a cat."
 
 
"Well if you stop acting like it I wouldn't have to call you anything!"
 
 
"Well if you stop smelling like that than maybe it wouldn't be such a problem to be with you!"
 
 
Kagome's jaw dropped. "What?"
 
 
"I . . . err . . . um . . .”
 
 
"Are you saying I stink?"
 
 
"What? I . . . no . . . "Her gaze darkened as her jaw tightened as her face took a chalky white color. He winced and pressed his ears to his head as she stood up, slamming her arms on her sides and began to stomp away. He stood up to run after her. "Oi! Wait!"
 
 
"InuYasha . . .”
 
 
"Kagome! No-o-o-o-"
 
 
"Sit boy."
 
 
"Oomph!'
 
 
InuYasha growled as he peeled himself from the slight crater she had made him create just as she disappeared behind the bushes. Damn it . . . she's going to pay for that....
He stood up, wobbling a bit before chasing after her, only to find her sitting on a large rock, crying. He winced as a whine escaped his lips, and he turned to stone as she lifted her skirt and wiped her face. "Baka." She muttered.
 
 
He never meant to hurt her. She had taken what he said the wrong way. She never could stink. It was just that her scent was too alluring, too strong; it caused him to feel uneasy, on the brink of control. He feared her safety, and that's why he always made her go home. (Despite the fact he liked to pick fights with her.)
 
 
He watched as she absently raked her fingers through her hair, trying to get the nags out as her crying intensified before her whole body began shaking and she dug her face into her hands. Her salty tears stung his nose, her hurt stung his pride, and the knowledge that it was his fault hurt his heart.
 
 
He pushed past the bushes and kneeled before her, pushing her bangs out of her eyes and whispering soothing words. She turned her back to him and ordered him not to touch her.
 
 
"K'Gome?"
 
 
"Don't touch me."
 
 
"But . . . that's not what I meant . . .”
 
 
"Don't lie to me dog-boy. You know that's exactly what you meant."
 
 
InuYasha bit back his irritation as her dark brown eyes now glossed with tears were overflowing with hurt and pain. He winced as he let out another whimper. "Kagome, you have to understand. That's not what I meant."
 
 
"Then what did you mean?" She asked dryly, wiping her face with her sleeves.
 
 
"Do you remember when you promised me that you would stop hurting if I just treated you better? Do you remember that day?"
 
 
"Yes. What of it?"
 
 
"You have to remember, "He cooed as he ran his fingers through her hair.”I had a part of that promise too. Remember, I couldn't say things to hurt you anymore."
 
 
"But . . . you . . . you said I stink!" She began wailing again, sinking her face into his shoulder.
 
 
"No . . . Kagome, I can't tell you right now, but listen. You don't stink."
 
 
She looked at him, her eyes red, and her face puffy. To him she couldn't be more beautiful. "I . . . I don't?"
 
 
"No . . . in fact," He laid his head in her chest. "I like the way you smell."
 
 
"You . . . You do?"
 
 
"Yea."
 
 
"What do I smell like?"
 
 
"Jasmine . . . likes wildflowers that my mother used to pick for me when I was a baby."
 
 
"I . . . I do?"
 
 
He nodded and kissed her forehead, causing her to gasp and her eyes to flutter close.
 
 
"Yes, you do. Now let's get back before someone eats our breakfast."
 
 
Kagome gasped as InuYasha took her hand and tugged her up. Then, he did something completely uncharacteristic.
 
 
He smiled.
 
 
Now, it wasn't one of those evil sneaky smiles he always did. This one wasn't tight, clipped and harsh like he usually was. This smile, it was full of emotion, gentle and soft. Loving and caring. It made her heart melt, and when she smiled back, his eyes brightened beautifully as he marched back to their camp. InuYasha . . .
 
 
She squeezed his hand softly, and smiled when he spared her a glance and imitated the gesture. He lightly pressed his claws into her skin, not enough to puncture it, but enough to catch her attention. She giggled as tremors flowed up her arm and she followed him back to camp.
 
 
When they returned, true enough their breakfast was gone. Kagome, seeing no other option, began digging in the monstrosity InuYasha hated until she pulled out a cup of ramen. She watched as his face lit up. Taking out a pot, she poured a bottle of spring water into it and placed it atop the fire. Pulling out a bag of chips, she opened his, didn't miss when his ears quirked and he licked his lips hungrily. "Oh, you want some?" She teased, popping one into her mouth.
 
 
He nodded eagerly, inching closer to her as she popped a second and third one into her mouth with skill. "Too bad. You're eating ramen."
 
 
"That's not fair!"
 
 
She raised her eyebrow. "Why?"
 
 
He pouted. "Because they were for me anyway."
 
 
 
8:88:888:88:8
 
 
 
Sango bit back another scream as Miroku cried out with pain. He was making her nervous. He had managed to hurt his foot, and the only way to help it, was to put the joint back together, which she had to do without the medicine because she was afraid that it would have the effect opposite of what she wanted it to do. With her panicking, it wasn't making things much easier, and she mumbled an apology as tears streamed down her face when she was finally done.
 
 
Miroku panted as he bit his lip to keep from crying, the pain from that action mixing with the aching of his foot caused him to squeeze his eyes closed. He began humming, trying not to think about it as Sango tried to talk to him, apologize to him, tried to coax him. But it wasn't working. She as panicking just as he was and he wouldn't listen to her. So, out of an attempt to ease his nerves. She slapped him. He opened his mouth and peeped a little "Ow" as his moans and groans stopped and he blinked his eyes.
 
 
"How does that feel?" She asked, looking at the swollen ankle.
 
 
He shrugged. "It still aches terribly, but I think the other pain I did to myself."
 
 
"You should've been trying to move around on your own anyway baka. You knew you are temporarily immobile."
 
 
He grinned innocently and winced. She frowned as she began fumbling with the package
 
 
Kaede gave her with his medicine. Finding the mixed herbs that were grounded into a potion, she put some on her finger and put it in front of his face. He frowned and turned his head. "Houshi-sama . . .”
 
 
"No."
 
 
"You want to be in agony?"
 
 
He shrugged, but she could tell he was lying. He was close to tears. "I'm fine."
 
 
"No your not." She pushed her finger closer to his mouth. "Take it."
 
 
He shook his head stubbornly. "No. I won't do it."
 
 
"Yes you will."
 
 
"Make me."
 
 
"Are you sure you want to do that?"
 
 
"Oh---that's wrong."
 
 
"Then take the medicine baka!"
 
 
"No!"
 
 
She shook her head as she leaned over and planted a kiss on the corner of his mouth. Then, she kissed his eyelids, his chin, and his nose, and when he finally parted his mouth, she stuck her finger in. In an attempt to move back, he accidentally closed his mouth, making the medicine go into it. Twisting his face into disgust, he took the medicine.
 
 
"See? Was that so hard?"
 
 
He blushed with embarrassed color. "You . . . you cheated! That wasn't fair."
She shrugged as she put some more on her finger. "You told me to make you. Open up before I do it again."
 
 
He pretended to collapse as he lay on the floor and put the back of his hand on his forehead, weeping and hollering like a little girl. "Oh . . . oh Sango honey . . . I can't! I'm too weak . . . I think your just going to have to smear it on your lips."
 
 
Sango's cheeks flushed even though she laughed and lightly hit him in the stomach. She stared at him in wonder as he closed his eyes and continued to pant and holler.
Miroku's eyes flew open as he felt her warm lips on his. He tried to sit up, but the pressure from her chest on top of his was too comfortable for him to try hard enough. The heat from her skin scorched his chest, making a sizzling sound as he whimpered and began to sweat. She grabbed his hair, pulling it out of the ponytail as he rose up, pushing her up with him, and momentarily breaking the kiss. "Wha---"
Her question was never answered as he assaulted her again. Mumbling something in between kisses, she shuddered as he rubbed his sweaty palms up and down her arms and shoulders. "Sango---you---are---a---mystery---to---me."
 
 
"Less---talking---"She panted," ---more---kissing."
He chuckled as he obeyed her command, lightly teasing her with his tongue as she whined and ran her fingers through his hair. He sought to deepen the kiss, causing her to push him back on his back, and he shuddered again as her fingers found his bare chest. She stopped suddenly, and immediately took them out, though she continued to kiss him tenderly. After a while, he broke the kiss and stroked her back as she dug her forehead into his shoulder. "What ever happened to the medicine?"
 
 
She shrugged. "You feel better now don't you? I don't think you ever needed it."
He laughed as he ran the pad of his thumb across her swollen lips. Something was there, he wanted to say something so bad, she could see it in his eyes, but fear overpowered the raw emotion, and he tightened his jaw as he continued to stare at her. She kisses him on his nose playfully as she snuggled close to him. "My Miroku." She murmured.
 
8:88:888:88:8
 
InuYasha snorted as Miroku hopped into the hut, supported by Sango and Kirara and took a seat near the fire. Kagome lightly stirred, and InuYasha growled as he bared his fangs at the monk and rudely told him to be quiet. Cringing at the hanyou's 'tolerant' expression, Sango bit back her comment as she sat next to Kagome and reached to touch her.
 
 
She was caught off guard by a sharp and threatening growl that caused her skin to develop goose bumps and she shuddered as she quickly scooted away from the miko. InuYasha, his ears laid back, his teeth bared, even though he clearly had no intention to hurt the two, seemed unusually irritated, and it seems he had a problem with the two even being in the hut. "What happened?" Sango asked instead.
InuYasha snorted as he spared Kagome's sleeping form a glance and focused on the ground. "She had a night mare---"
 
 
"About what?"
 
 
"Nothing."
 
 
"How can we help if you won't tell us?"
 
 
"Kikyou." He said, his cheeks exploding in color. "When we were returning, she just collapsed. I don't know what happened. I didn't smell pain, or discomfort. She just collapsed."
 
 
Sango frowned. "That's not normal InuYasha. Have you told Kaede?"
 
 
InuYasha shrugged. "Of course I told the old hag. She said Kagome's mentally ill, not physically."
 
 
Miroku looked disturbed, and Sango looked puzzled. "Is this possible?"
 
 
Miroku cleared his throat. "When one is mentally ill, that means that they have used their will power when their physical power has depleted. Also, a fair amount of stress must be obtained before their minds refuse to give them just the strength they need to go on. I have only heard about it in cases of extreme illnesses, as fighting a fatal disease. But never because of miko duties and physical nursing."
 
 
InuYasha scowled as he stared at Kagome. "She wouldn't listen. I told her to calm down, but she wouldn't listen." He remembered how her face had turned pale instead of that creamy color it usually took, how frail and weak her body was, and how whenever they stopped, he usually found her leaning against a tree, or sitting down completely, and in a matter of seconds, she would be sleeping. "Maybe she feels it's her duty." Sango suggested.
 
 
InuYasha's scowl deepened. "I . . . I don't think that's the case." He said slowly.
Miroku gazed at the hanyou. "InuYasha, have you ever seen a case when a person pushes themselves to an extent of physical illness for another person?"
InuYasha shook his head, and then nodded it solemnly as his expression blanked and he turned stiff. "Yea . . . my mother."
 
 
Miroku nodded slowly. "Yes . . . and have you ever heard about how a person's can become mentally exhausted when their hard work goes unnoticed to the person they care for?"
 
 
InuYasha growled. "That's stupid! She knows I always notice when she does something!"
 
 
Miroku frowned. "But do you always show her? Or do you expect her to realize it on her own?"
 
 
"I---"
 
 
Miroku held up his hand to stop InuYasha as he shook his head and gestured towards Kagome. "I think . . . if you would like Kagome to return to us like she left, you should make her a present."
 
 
"A present? How the hell am I supposed to make a present?"
 
 
Miroku grinned. "I do not know. You are the hanyou. I think it would be best for Kagome if you show her you care."
 
 
InuYasha scowled as he stood up and walked out of the hut, murmuring that he'd be back in a couple of hours or so. Sango and Miroku exchanged glances and grinned as Kagome began to stir. "You're good." She commented.
 
 
Miroku chuckled. "That I am Sango. That I am."
 
 
8:88:888:88:8
 
 
A/N
 
Sorry it took so long, but I had completely forgotten about this website. For those of you who know, I have been updating on Fanfiction.net frequently, forgetting all about this site because I previously had problems with remembering my password. I gave up and decided to come back after a while---only to forget about it. I apologize