InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Presents ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Presents

8:88:888:88:8

InuYasha ran a tired hand over his face as he stared into the water. He had until she awoken, and if he was close by, he would be able to tell. But just what was he going to get her?
 
"I think . . . if you would like Kagome to return to us like she left, you should make her a present."
 
'A present? How the hell does he want me to get her a present? What the hell would she want?'
 
InuYasha ruffled his hair angrily as he stood up and leaned over the water, peering over the side and watching as the fish quickly swam away. Something glistened in the light down below, and with a scowl, he reached down and picked it up. It was a gold, circular object that Kagome had once clarified as a 'ring' when she had first brought one. InuYasha remembered how she said she wanted a diamond ring that made pretty lights whenever the sun settled on it. Scratching his chin, he stuffed the ring into the inside pocket of his haori and shook his head as he took a hold of Tetsusaiga.
 
Turning around and checking his surroundings, he sat down in a heap and trusted his arms into the sleeves of his haori. 'Why is it so hard just to get her a damn present?'
 
Because you're a baka, you're a baka, and did I already say you were a baka?'
 
'Right. You're the help I've always been looking for.'
 
I've been the only help you've had for a long time. I have an idea.'
 
'I don't think I want to hear this, but go ahead.'
 
'Instead of just a measly present, how about you take her to a---what did she call it? A 'date'?'
 
'You've lost your damn mind. I don't even know what the hell that is!'
 
'Then find out. Who is she closest with besides you?'
 
'The old hag.'
 
'I mean friend wise not motherhood.'
 
'Sango. Wait---you want me to ask for help
 
'That's oneway of putting it . . . yea?'
 
InuYasha snorted and jumped to his feet as he closed his eyes stubbornly. 'Keh! Think of how it'll look to Miroku---'
 
'This isn't about Miroku. This is about Kagome. You need to show her you care. That simple gesture is enough to get her to go on.'
 
'How . . . how do you know?'
 
'You haven't heard it? Her soul calls out to us InuYasha. And we . . . we haven't answered yet.'
 
'Why? Why haven't we answered yet?'
 
'Shouldn't you be asking yourself that question?'
 
InuYasha didn't answer as he turned on his heel and began to walk away into the deepest part of the forest. He knew exactly what he was going to do. But he just needed to get everything together. Then, it would all be perfect. Then, Kagome would be alright, and as long as she was okay, he was happy.

8:88:888:88:8

 
Totosai stared at InuYasha with shock on his face as he scratched his head. Opening his mouth to comment, and then closing it back when he thought against it, the old man was at lost for words as he stared at the blushing hanyou. "What?"
 
"I want you to help me make a gift for Kagome."InuYasha grumbled. "I know it's not a sword but I need you to forge something for me."
 
"Like what?"
 
InuYasha pulled the small circular form out of his haori and handed it over to the old man, constantly looking over his shoulder as the cow that belonged to the old man began nibbling on grass. "So, you want me to make something like this? This little?"
 
InuYasha nodded. "Yes, and I need you to put something on it. Would you be able to do it? Can you?"
 
Totosai shrugged and rubbed a tired hand over his face. "My my InuYasha. I always took you for a fool but this is something completely different."
 
InuYasha snorted and struck the old man across his head, his hand itching for Tetsusaiga as he glowered at Totosai. "Like I was saying. Can you do it?"
 
Totosai held the ring in front of his face and examined it from all angles. "Exactly what are you going to do?"
 
"Kagome told me about these things when I went to her time. She said they were for friends, or mates. She said people used them for weddings---"
 
"Oh? You two are getting married?"
 
InuYasha blanched as his face turned a beet red. "What! No . . . It's just a gift."
 
"So it's a love offering."
 
"No. It's a gift. That's it. She stressed herself out, and the monk thinks it'll be best for her mental health if I get her a present. She was always screaming about how she wanted one of these, so maybe now she'll shut up."
 
Totosai frowned deeply as he held it in the palm of his hand and flipped it over idly. "Alright. I'll do it. But there's a condition."
 
"Alright. What is it?"
 
Totosai's face brightened as he reached for Tetsusaiga. "You have to be more careful with my darling sword. Please don't abuse her so much."
 
InuYasha struck Totosai across the head again. "How many times do I have to tell you never to touch my sword?"
 
Totosai groaned as he rubbed his head. Setting the ring down on his knee as he continuously studied it quizzically, he smiled to himself as he gazed into the hanyou's deep golden eyes. "Master InuYasha . . . just how ill is Kagome?"
 
InuYasha pressed his ears to his forehead and scowled. "When I left she hadn't awakened from passing out. Kaede said that she hasn't developed a fever, but there's a possibility that she can become worse without it because the human mind is much stronger than that of the body."
 
Totosai shook his head. "Such a young girl . . . such a young age . . . do you think it has something to do with the Shikon No Tama?"
 
InuYasha growled. "No, I don't. I just think she's overexerting herself trying to fit a description that isn't hers."
 
"Description? And which description is that?"
 
"I think . . . I think she's trying to be like Kikyou." InuYasha said, looking off into the distance as he winced and pressed his ears to his head once again.
 
Totosai stared at him through narrow eyes. "And you do realize this is your fault right? I mean why else would she practically kill herself---" Totosai let out a sharp cry as the tip of the blade of Tetsusaiga was pushed roughly to his neck.
 
Sweat dropping down his face as he stared at the wielder, he didn't say another word, didn't dare flinch as the hanyou filled with rage glowered down at him. Growling menacingly and scowling to the point it made the Earth shudder, InuYasha No Taisho was a force to be reckoned with. His anger was a palpable thing, and Totosai had never experienced this cold hard fear ever since he had once said something about InuYasha's mother to InuTaisho.
 
For a brief moment, he could see InuTaisho, could see the way his eyes narrowed and flashed, the way his lips curled, and the stubborn deathly look that was set upon his face. He would never forget that face, and never would he forget this one. "You truly are his son." He murmured.
 
With a snort, InuYasha dropped his sword into its scabbard and turned his back to the forger. "Sorry about that." He muttered as he began to walk away. He stopped and looked over his shoulder. "Make sure . . . make sure you get it done but sunset. I'll be by to pick it up." And with that, InuYasha left from the old man's sight.
 
His words rang over and over in his head.
 
"You truly are your father's son."
 
InuYasha shook his head as he tried to push back the pride at those words. He didn't know why almost immediately his chest swelled up, and his ears perked up with indignant pride upon hearing those words. Usually when he heard about how strong his father was, he usually acting like he didn't care, though deep inside, he was secretly proud and impressed with him, even though he had barely met him.
 
He understood what a great demon his father was. And he also understood just how much of an impact he had on humans and on youkai. But InuYasha didn't understand how a full blown youkai that had the instinct to prey upon humans flowing through their veins be able to mate with a human and bear a child. He never understood how he fought the desire to feast on their blood, and not to get satisfied as they cried out in pain and whimpered with fear. On those nights where his demon blood reigned superior, the startling scent of Kagome would send him into an agonizing frenzy, to the point that he was scared if he would return to normal and find out the damage that he'd done. So instead, he usually got away from her.
 
It would be a night like this that he would have to stay away. He didn't think about it before, but now it dawned on him. He began to worry that she would awaken before he had returned to his normal state. He was also worried she would be foolish enough to go and look for him. He winced as he sat down on a large rock and cradled Tetsusaiga between the palms of his hands. Tossing it back and forth as he whistled casually, a shift in the air made him freeze and his head to snap to the right. Ears rotating like little radars, InuYasha growled as he stood up and prepared himself. But nothing came out from the dark security of the bushes, and with a loud rustle, it was gone. Still paranoid and shaken, InuYasha sat back down and ceased glaring into the direction of the intruder.
 
He remembered the first time Kagome had seen him transform. He remembered the absolute terror on his face as he began to soak his claws in the innocent blood of the humans. Her fear was so strong he could taste it, and his youkai blood longed for a taste of her sweet blood that would forever quench its thirst. For every youkai, there was one prey that would cease its hunger and its desire to kill forever. But InuYasha was cursed to have developed strong feelings for the one that would silence his rampaging. He would never hurt her. But she knew that the hanyou in him wouldn't dare touch her. But she understood the youkai yearned for her blood.
 
There have been more than one instance where Kagome was injured and was bleeding in Kaede's hut, or she was lying unconscious. His mind lurched at the sweet tangy scent, and the mere sight of it began to make its blood boil. But now that all three sides understood that she was special, those desired were less frequent, more controllable. But that didn't mean that they didn't happen---and when they did, they were strong as ever. InuYasha fought the temptation by simply leaving in the middle of the night and returning just before she woke up. But then the side effects would wear off, and he was good to go. But sometimes that didn't work. Sometimes, he needed to stay away until she had taken a bath. His youkai continually pressed him, begging him to mark her, to drink her sweet blood that would complete the ritual and clarify her as his property. He had lost count of how many times his youkai had commanded him to take her as she lay sleeping, one hand propped under her cheek, her knees pressed close to her upper stomach, her red swollen lips calling out to him as her heat created a surge of want in him so strong whenever the wind blew he crumpled to his knees and whined.
 
Her sweet and innocent smile, and the embarrassing things she did and said usually sent these yearnings away immediately, leaving behind a wake of guilt that she never understood just what the most innocent act could do to his mere senses. Shaking his head as he remembered how she would try to cover up when she was hurt, how her big brown eyes would dull and droop, it was completely impossible not to know when something was bothering her---but for InuYasha it was way too easy not to say anything. His youkai decided she was the one because she was strong. She stayed by his side, and she didn't scream and run when he did slay people relentlessly. She came to him as he was, and she didn't falter, even though fear was evident in her bright eyes.
 
His human accepted her because she was able to understand when he was lying and being stubborn. As well as the youkai, he admired her because she was human and strong, and wasn't ashamed of her blood. No matter how many times he always cursed the night of the New Moon, she was always there with him, encouraging him that everything would be alright.
 
His hanyou loved her because she accepted him for who he is. She didn't try to change him, or make him something that he wasn't. He was rude, selfish, arrogant, stubborn, childish, immature, cocky and somewhat of a clown. But she never let that get in the way of being the very best friend that he ever had---and his first love. Looking at Tetsusaiga, and looking at a row of trees that stood about a meter away from him, he stood up and unsheathed the great sword.
 
Rising it over his head, his chest swelled with pride, his fangs glistened as he smiled, and his ears stood up nice and pointy as he brought the blade down and bellowed, “Kongousouha!"
 
He smiled to himself as he looked over the mass of damage that he had just done. "Now . . . about that present."

8:88:888:88:8

Sango awoke with a start as Kagome began rustling through her sleeping bag as she sat up. Sango scurried over to her and put her hand on Kagome's chest, trying to get her to settle down. The moonlight drifted into the hut with secrecy, so quiet and deadly it gave Kagome goose bumps as she rubbed her arms up and down. She stared into the moon, its pale eyes cold and deadly like the mysterious girl who was stealing young women's hearts. It seemed lonely, and afraid, just like Kagome felt now. Trying to ignore that empty ache that settled in her chest, the youki seemed to be faint, and she knew something was missing, something dramatic that managed to ease her soul. "Where's InuYasha?"
 
"He . . . uh . . ." Sango stammered as she blushed. "He . . . went to . . . he's going to take a bath."
 
Kagome's face flashed with hurt, and Sango couldn't look in her eyes as they brightened with tears. "Where is he Sango? Why won't you tell me where he is? Has he finally left?"
 
"Left? He would never leave you---"
 
"He would and he has! He always leaves me for Kikyou! He always leaves me to be with her! He leaves me to . . . to die!"
 
Sango gasped and moved Kagome bangs out of her face as she dug her face into the palms of her hands, even though she tears refused to come. "Oh K'Gome. . . he would never leave you to die. Do you know how much it would hurt him if you die?"
 
Kagome shook her head as she pushed Sango's efforts to comfort her away. "I . . . he . . . he doesn't act like it! He makes me stuck here, and when I try to prove to him that I'm not worthless, what does he do? He leaves! He goes to see her!"
 
Sango shook her head. "Kagome dear; you have it all wrong. He's not with Kikyou. He would never do that."
 
Kagome shrugged Sango's hand off her shoulder as she stood up and stumbled a little bit, waking Miroku. He blinked and sat up. "Wha---"
 
"You don't know what you are talking about!" She yelled. "He did it before, and I can guarantee that he'll do it again! Who knows! He's probably having . . . with her . . . No . . . “Before Sango could stop her, she stormed out of the hut. Sango, who glanced at Miroku, nodded her head as she ordered Kirara to chase after her.
 
Kagome ran like she never ran before. Even though she continually tripped and stumbled, she didn't stop. She didn't care that she had cuts and bruises all over her arms, legs, chest and face from bumping against trees and bushes and branches. She didn't care that tears were running down her face with dirt, or that she was completely unnoticeable to humans whatsoever. All she cared about was getting away from everything. From the village, from the hurt, the pain, from InuYasha.
 
She had a point. She had given up everything, and trying to impress him, please him, she drove herself dry. But he didn't appreciate what she did. He ran off and went to see Kikyou. Kagome had had enough. She was running on the pure thought of nothing. Her legs and stomach were on fire, she had no breath, no energy, and she felt as though she was going to pass out. Moments later, she stumbled and fell. She didn't arise for a long time after that either.
 
Around dawn, and young girl was skipping happily with her pet dog, singing a song of happiness as her platinum hair bounced behind her in an elegant braid. She smiled as she dog zigzagged in front of her, barking in tune to her singing yelping with pure joy. He suddenly stopped and began sniffing erratically. Pushing his way past the bushes and not that far from a little clearing, laid out on the floor was a young girl in strange clothing. He barked excitedly, and soon the young girl was crouching before the strange girl. "My, she's knocked out cold." She said. The dog licked her face, causing her to moan and turned her head, mumbling something that made the platinum haired young girl's grey eyes go wide. Standing up, she hoisted the girl over the dogs back, and they began quickly walking home.
 
Kagome blinked tiredly as she opened her eyes in an unfamiliar place. Looking around, she sat up slowly, ignoring the agonizing pang that started in her lower back and soon drifted around her whole body. Gritting her teeth together, she bit back a scream as a large nose was thrust into her face, and it soon was replaced by a humongous tongue. She yelped in surprise, causing a sparkle of miko's energy to lightly shock the being, causing it to yelp and scurry back, whining and hiding behind a little girl that seemed intrigued by her. Kagome began feeling around for a bow and arrow, and froze when she realized that she wasn't home. She wasn't anywhere near home. "Who are you?" She questioned.
 
The girl continued to stare at her, her grey eyes looking mysterious, quizzical. Her nose flared and the corners of her lips began twitching as Kagome registered the weird markings on her face. On her forehead was a half-moon, and on her two cheeks were almost a check like stripe that had a ruby-red hue to it. Kagome bit back her question as she regarded the young girl. "I . . . I am Chiyo. What is your name?"
 
"I . . . I am K-Kagome Higurashi. Where am I?"
 
"You're in the Western Territory of Musashi. You're safe here, with me."
 
Kagome's eyes widened in surprise as she regarded the girl's statement for a moment. "Western Lands? You mean the territory owned by Sesshomaru No Taisho, the tai-youkai for the inu-youkai heritage?"
 
The young girl's eyes lit up and she nodded her head quickly. "Do you know Lord Sesshomaru? Do you? Do you know Master InuYasha?"
 
Kagome's nose flared at the name of the hanyou and she snorted. "Yes, I know the both of them. I am traveling with InuYasha."
 
The young girl looked excited. "Then it is true! My nose does not fail me! He is alive!"
 
Kagome watched as she dog barked with joy and the young girl danced around with discreet happiness. The aura of the room seemed to shift into that more peaceful than tense, and Kagome began to relax as the two strange creatures began to settle down. "May I ask . . . you're not human, are you?"
 
The young girl shook her head as if she was mocking Kagome. "Yes, we are both Inu-youkai. Just not exactly Inu-youkai. This is my brother, Suzu. We are both Inu-youkai, our family has been exiled from the castle for three generations, and it is tradition that we reside in this hut."
 
"Exiled? Why have you been exiled?"
 
The young girl smiled sadly. "A forbidden love has taken place, and we are the consequence of that sin."
 
"A forbidden love? Wait---I don't understand. Wha---"
 
"Our mother . . . she wasn't a regular youkai. She was a youkai that had the ability to read the moon and the stars. Her name was Cassandra, and she had prophesized to the great InuTaisho that a great force shall come and condemn his son."
 
"His son?" Kagome asked puzzled. "Did she mean InuYasha?"
 
Chiyo shrugged. "We do not know. All I know is that everyday since her death she has requested that I make certain that the hanyou does not die. Ever since he had been pinned on the tree, I have lost contact with him whatsoever. But I have heard tales that he has defeated Lord Sesshomaru. Also, the moon tells me the Flower Maiden has been born and now seeks to return to the world of the living."
 
Kagome shuddered as she sat on her knees and massaged her tired legs that with fatigue. "How long have I been here?"
 
"Only a couple of hours. Why?"
 
"I . . . I have a village I need to be attending to. I have to get back."
 
Suzu whined sadly and thrust his nose in Kagome's lap. Chiyo frowned. "Chiyo, why is he---"
 
Chiyo sighed sadly. "He was born that way. That is his form; he shall never be able to take the form of a human. That was his consequence."
 
"And what is yours? What's your consequence?"
 
Chiyo shrugged. "Me? I have the power to feel the pain of spirits that continue to dwell in the land of the living. Kagome, I have been searching for you for a long time."
 
"I . . . Wha---"
 
"You see, the spirit that dwells in Musashi is very unhappy. Its pain is agonizing to me. It's hard to sleep at night, and Suzu has gotten no sleep at all. She is a pure maiden, with an impure soul. The only way to battle her, is with your powers. But you are not strong enough yet."
 
"I . . . I don't understand."
 
"I understand this may come as a shock to you, but you have to understand. You are the only person that could save my sister. You are the only person that can save us."
 
"Us?"
 
It shall all make sense after while. But for now . . . you have to live. Wake up . . .
 
I . . . what's happening?
 
Wake up . . . Kagome? Wake up!
 
I . . . wha---
 
Wake up!
 
Kagome blinked with confusion as she picked her head up and looked around. "Kagome? Kagome? Wake up!"
 
"Inu---"She moaned with pain. "InuYasha?"
 
"I'm right here. What the hell did you think you were doing?” She grunted as he softly rolled her over and pinned her with a glare.
 
She winced slightly and tried to give an innocent smile when she grimaced and cried out in pain. He gasped quickly and dropped hishakama over her frail, now shivering body with a disgusted grunt as he hunkered down next to her. "InuYasha . . . .”
 
"It's alright. I'm here now." He frowned. "What hurts right now?"
 
"E-Everything . . ." She moaned. Her shivering intensified before she began sweating and shuddering. InuYasha watched as she had mood swings and he became deeply concerned for her.
 
"Kagome . . . I have to pick you up. This may hurt a little." She nodded her head, and as he did pick her up, his arms felt like needles. She bit her tongue to keep from crying out, drawing tears and a whimper as he pushed off the ground.” I'm sorry."
 
"F-F-For-w-what?"
 
He shook his head as he spared her limp figure a glance. She felt him stiffen and wince, and his ears pressed onto his head as he stopped on the branch of a nearby tree. "It's just that . . . I've been thinking about some things and Kagome . . .”
 
He looked down at her figure and snorted. Smoothing her bangs out of her eyes, he quickly kissed her forehead and pushed from the branch. "Rest well Kagome."

8:88:888:88:8

Sango paced back and forth as Kirara mewed sadly from the door of the hut. It had been almost a whole day since Kagome had taken off and outrun Kirara. And when InuYasha had returned dawn that morning just to hear the news she had ran off, he looked as if he could have killed the both of them. He turned around and immediately sprinted off after her, murmuring about how she won't return until she was nursed back to health and not half-dead. And if she knew the hanyou as well as she thought she did, she knew he would stick to his word without thinking twice.
 
She glanced over her shoulder to look at Miroku, who was staring at his hand where the Kazaana used to reside with a thoughtful frown. She refrained from questioning him about it as his frown deepened and his violet eyes darkened with sadness for a moment before glazing over and he looked up, intercepting her gaze. Smiling at her softly and holding out his hand, she walked over to him and took it. He softly pulled her down with him, and she laid her head on his chest as he lay on his back. "Do you think she's okay?"
 
Miroku shrugged. "She's been gone an awful long time Sango. I think that this time everything isn't all right. But there is nothing we can do. They will have to work it out with themselves."
 
Sango had a stubborn look on her face. "But, Miroku! She looked so broken, torn and lost! I felt like crying as I looked at her. I didn't want to spoil the surprise, but I didn't want her to think he went to Kikyou either. She disappeared after the battle with Naraku."
 
Miroku nodded slowly and let out a harsh, slow breath in between his teeth. "Let's just pray to kami that everything is alright."
 
Sango didn't reply to that, just tightened her hold on Miroku's robe. He laid his hand on her back and began rubbing soothingly, trying to comfort her, trying to tell her that he was there for her, no matter what was going to happen. He tried to wave off the feeling of loneliness that was washing off of her, leaving a stick, itchy feeling that caused him to cringe. Her worry was so think you could taste it, her fear so heavy you could bath in it. She was always a person to let things get to her. But Miroku had never seen her shaken in his whole life.
 
Running his fingers through her hair, Miroku sighed as her breathing evened and she fell asleep. Smiling, he closed his eyes as well. 'Sweet dreams,'

8:88:888:88:8

 
InuYasha paced the floor back and forth as Kagome lay on the futon, her cheekbones and just above her nose a deep red as her breathing was harsh and labored. Her hair was sweaty, sticky and matted to her forehead. Her face was covered in sweat. The discomfort she was feeling was so strong InuYasha could smell it; it caused him to wince and a dull ache to form in the middle of his chest that just wouldn't leave. He constantly changed the rag on her head, and gave her the appropriate medicine that he had stashed. He had learned how to care for the sick from a mixture of watching his mother and Kaede. But Kagome was deeply ill. He didn't think that she would get better anytime soon.
 
So instead, even though he knew it was hard for her, he didn't let her go to sleep. He allowed her to close her eyes, but when her breathing evened, he was always there, apologizing and explainining to her when she would begin crying that it was for the better of her than for him. There were a couple of times she ignored him and tried to keep her eyes closed anyway. He had to firmly press his claw into her skin, causing her to yelp and her eyes to snap open. He felt guilty for this gesture, but he knew it served its purpose.
 
He sat nearby, embracing Tetsusaiga in between his arms as he watched her form rest silently on the futon. The scent of the medicine he gave her still lingered in his cave that they were residing in. It tickled his nose, making him sneeze and cough. She was reluctant to take it, but after a brief talk with her, she weakly took the medicine. But she made a show of twisting her face enough to tell him how she really felt about the disgusting paste.
 
He watched as she began a fit of shuddering again for a couple of moments, before she began turning her head side to side and calling out into her sleep. InuYasha shook her softly, not realizing that she had fallen asleep, and she blinked innocently as she looked at him through her dazed brown eyes that had fallen dull and half open. Her face was terribly swollen because of the cuts that had managed to almost grow infected, and if she had been out there a little longer, her legs would look destroyed. InuYasha, however, bandaged up and took good care of her. And also, he had no intentions of letting her go home until she was the Kagome he knew so well.
 
Crawling over to her and changing the cloth upon her head, he spoke to her softly as he brushed the hair out of her face and dropped a little spring water into her mouth. She didn't say anything as he lifted her head so that she could swallow, and instead of placing it back down, he moved behind her and set it on his lap. She sighed happily as she pulled the haori to her chin as her shivering ceased and she simply laid there, a frigid and frail mass that had no strength whatsoever. InuYasha, who was cradling her head, whispered soothing words, making her smile as he tried to raise her spirits by entertaining her. "I have a present for you."
 
She cut her eye as best as she could to look at him with interest. He nearly laughed. "But you won't get it until you feel better. Think of it as a reward.” She pouted slightly as he gave her a little more water. Frowning as he thought it over, he leaned down and kissed her forehead. "You can go ahead and fall asleep now. I know you won't leave me."
 
She gave a faint smile, and immediately closed her eyes and fell asleep.

8:88:888:88:8

 
A/N