InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Stubborn ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Stubborn

8:88:888:88:8

Kagome groaned as she opened her eyes. Blinking them as the sun rays began to sting them; she sat up slowly as she glanced around the cave. She heard a rustle behind her and sighed. "How do you feel?"
 
She watched as he crouched down in front of her, and handed her a cup of ramen. Wrinkling her nose as the steam drifted into her face, she took it eagerly and slowly began eating it. "I feel fine."
 
InuYasha cautiously sniffed her and he scowled in satisfaction as he looked her up and down. "I'm guessing you want to take one of those goddamn 'baths' that you like so well?"
 
She nodded and smiled. "Sure! I feel filthy."
 
"I told you wench," InuYasha growled as she coughed softly. "You smell fine."
 
"Yes, but I wouldn't feel right unless I took a bath."
 
InuYasha shook his head as she continued eating. He reached into her book bag, and pulled a pair of sweatpants and a tank top that she wore to gym. Frowning at them, he pulled out her cotton 'underwear' and a wash clothe that she always preferred using with the bar of soap. Closing back up the monstrosity that he had grown to hate as well as to adapt to, he walked over to her and placed the items on her lap. "Here. I thought it would make things much easier for you."
 
She smiled and took the items as she set the empty cup on the ground next to her. "Thank you InuYasha."
 
He shrugged and stood her up before he reached to pick her up and she stumbled away from him. "Wench, what are you doing?"
 
She held out her hands in a defensive manner. "What are you doing?"
 
He sighed. "What else? I was going to take you to the pond."
 
“`Take' as in 'carry'?"
 
He nodded and gave her a puzzled look as he reached for her again and she backed away. "Yea . . . so let's go."
 
She shook her head. "InuYasha . . . the ponds not that far from the mouth of the cave. I'll be fine."
 
InuYasha growled as he took a large step toward her, and in an attempt to get away from him, she tried to quickly retreat a couple of steps and tripped over her own feet, stumbling and blinking in surprise when he caught her before she fell. She felt a wave of dizziness pass over her, and she gave a slight grunt as her eyes grew heavy. InuYasha, who looked completely puzzled, sniffed her before his jaw took on that stubborn tightness that she had grown to fear---and to love. "See! I told you to let me take you! Now . . .you're not setting foot out of this cave!"
 
Kagome groaned with annoyance as he allowed her to stand on her own, but still had one of his arms wrapped around her waist. She hit him in his chest firmly. "I'm fine . . . I keep telling you. Now let me go and take a bath; please?"
 
InuYasha shook his head before his head snapped towards the mouth of the cave and he instinctively pulled her closer to him, his growl changing from that of annoyance to that of pure hate as he flattened his ears on his head and bared his fangs. She shuddered lightly as he tightened his hold, lowering his chin onto her shoulder as she froze with panic. He heard her heartbeat quicken, could feel it on his chest, and he loosened his grip and spared her a glance before he instantly put her back in the position she was in before. "Bastard---"
 
"My, my little brother. Have I caught you and the miko at a bad time?" Sesshomaru teased, which was so unlike him InuYasha had to do a double take.
 
"Hardly. The dummy nearly killed her self wanting to take a damn bath, and then to make things worse, you show up." InuYasha snorted as he shoved Kagome behind him and took a step forward, growling for her to hold on to his haori. "Just why the hell are you here?"
 
Sesshomaru shrugged and looked at Kagome as she tried to peek over the hanyou's shoulder and see what was going on. "I need the miko."
 
"For what?"
 
"That is not your concern." Sesshomaru growled with irritation. "I ask for her assistance until this epidemic has passed---"
 
"Epidemic? What the hell could be so bad you of all people need Kagome?"
 
Sesshomaru growled as he took a step forward. InuYasha growled and unsheathed Tetsusaiga. Kagome sighed loudly as she pushed InuYasha behind her. "If you argue I'll say 'it'." She warned.
 
InuYasha fell silent, though his growl as still in place as he placed Tetsusaiga on his shoulder and leaned most of his weight on one foot, watching casually as Kagome looked at Sesshomaru. "Miko . . . I ask that you come with me."
 
"Why do you need me?" She said quietly.
 
Sesshomaru looked away, and Kagome thought she saw him blush. But the hallucination had disappeared as quickly as it flashed across his face. "Rin needs your womanly assistance."
 
"Huh?"
 
Sesshomaru sighed and rubbed a tired hand over his face. "I am not a woman, so I shall not be able to teach her and help her in the monthly stages of a woman. I assumed you shall be able to help her, so I came to ask you to come with me to the castle to explain this to Rin. She cries all night, believing something is wrong with her."
 
Kagome rubbed her temple with her fingers as another wave of dizziness swept through her, catching her off guard. This time, it left a tremendous headache in its wake, and she gave a little sigh as she shook her head. The pulses blurred her vision, and when she thought she was going to pass it, it disappeared. She stumbled a little, caught herself before she fell, and avoided InuYasha's pointed glare. "I . . . okay. I'll help."
 
InuYasha gasped behind her before he grabbed her by her arm and pulled her to the far side of the cave. "Are you crazy? If we go to his territory, he'll have the perfect opportunity to kill us!"
 
Kagome tapped InuYasha in the head playfully. "No he's not. You can see it in his face he has no intention of hurting us."
 
"And just how could you tell?"
 
Kagome sadly as she remembered the day where she defeated Naraku. InuYasha had taken a extreme amount of damage, and lay wounded on the ground next to Kirara and Sango. Miroku, who was dropped on one knee, held his Kazaana to his chest, his eyes tearing up as his life flashed before him. Kagome was enraged. At the time, she had thought InuYasha was dead. She remembered the pain she felt, the total remorse and hate she felt for the hanyou that wrecked havoc for the people of Musashi. That rage become the source of her power, the pain of losing the person who meant the most to her was the inspiration she had to defeat the vile beast.
 
She knocked back her arrow and closed her eyes, allowing the miko energy to make her skin feel warm and tingly. She felt a cold hand touch hers, and instantly warmth returned to the frail hands that covered hers. She knew who it was before she even touched her, and as their miko energies bonded, and as the souls merged together as one for now and forever, Kagome released the arrow, falling to her knees as she suddenly felt weak and as the arrow soared through the sky.
 
The arrow was held back for a brief moment by a barrier Naraku had sustained throughout the battle. She closed her eyes and prayed that her friend's lives---that InuYasha's life wouldn't go to waste. With a shrill cry, she heard as Naraku released a shrill cry, and opened her eyes just in time to watch the arrow pierce through his heart. His great form began to disappear, and in turn, four limp bodies fell to the floor. Kagome immediately ran to the body that cried out on impact. But before she could get there, she watched as Sesshomaru had dug the blade of Tokijin into Naraku's head with a dark scowl on his face. Naraku twitched under him as blood exploded onto Sesshomaru's white haori. Sesshomaru hurried over to Kagura, stumbling past Kagome.
 
Kagome had watched as Kanna has begun to turn to ashes, and disappeared with the wind. She felt a hand on her shoulder, and the Shikon No Tama fell into her hands, warm and whole as a soft kiss was planted on her cheek. Tears streaming down her face, she turned just as Kikyou began to fade into nothing. The last words she murmured, the honesty and pain of her tears as well as joy told Kagome that she would never have another chance. "Kikyou! Thank you!"
 
Kikyou smiled sadly, and held out her hand, knowing Kagome wouldn't be able to reach it in time. Just as she disappeared, and wind began to blow, soothing Kagome's wounded soul, caressing her red and swollen face as two words were whispered in her soul; intended to give her momentary peace. 'Well done.'
 
She turned her head just as Kagura's hand dropped from Sesshomaru's face. He threw him head back, and he seemed to struggle with doing something as she watched his neck vibrate. Kagura, who had now faded into the nothingness that is her, seemed to smile sadly as she drifted away with the wind. Suddenly, Sesshomaru let out a long, mournful cry. Digging his claws into the ground as he held it out, he threw his head back again, and this time, with a stronger voice, he howled again. It was full of so much pain and guilt that Kagome had no choice but to close her eyes bow her head with sympathy.
 
She walked over to Sesshomaru, and hugged him, her own tears covering that of his. She whispered soothing words, and after he had calmed down, he stood up, helping her up and returned the hug before his gaze fell to his brother. "You have freed them both." He said simply, unsheathing Tenseiga and holding it out before him. "If you shall ever need anything, I am forever in your debt."
 
"Sesshomaru,"Kagome said quietly, dashing her hand over his puffy eyes. "What will you do now?"
 
He smiled sadly, as though the simple gesture at a time like this stabbed him in his heart. She could see tears gathering again. "What shall I do? I shall revive my brother. It is not his time to die."
 
Walking over to InuYasha, the blade began to pulse, and with a grunt of satisfaction, Sesshomaru whipped it through the air, and it glowed as it ran across InuYasha's skin. "When he awakens,"Sesshomaru had murmured. "When he awakens . . . tell him the quarreling between us must end."
 
Kagome shook her head and smiled sadly as she reached forward and rubbed one of InuYasha's ears, which he stubbornly flicked out of her grasp. She giggled and took hold of it again. "I just know, okay?"

8:88:888:88:8

InuYasha growled as Kagome tightened her hold around his neck and Sesshomaru stopped abruptly outside the doors of the castle. Looking over his shoulder, he regarded Kagome for a moment before he pushed open the door and shuffled inside. Kagome had her head laid down; though she was still wide awake with excitement. She watched as youkai servants buzzed by, bowing to Sesshomaru, and surprisingly InuYasha with a hint of surprise on their faces. "Why are they bowing to you too?"
 
InuYasha shrugged."Because . . . the old man used to rule over these parts. Being his son makes me a . . . a prince."
 
Kagome sighed as she reached forward and rubbed his hear again. "I take it you don't like being a prince?"
 
InuYasha didn't say anything for a while as Sesshomaru led them to the end of the great hallway and up a flight of stairs. After they had reached the top of the flight, he led them down to the end of the hall again, where he took a sharp right and walked to the end of this hall. Double doors stood at the end, and a very tall youkai stood in front of them, his sword at his side, his head held up high. As he moved out of the way to allow Sesshomaru inside, he scowled at InuYasha. "M'Lord."He said respectfully, though unwillingly. InuYasha snorted and didn't comment, though his ears did flatten. "No, I don't."
 
Sesshomaru stopped by the door, and InuYasha realized they were in a large room. A young girl, by her looks she looked about ten or eleven with long black hair sat by the window, her legs were pulled to her face and InuYasha stopped suddenly as he backed away suddenly and pinned his brother with a stare. "You brought her here for that?" He bellowed.
 
Kagome blinked as color decorated Sesshomaru's face. She wasn't imagining it at all. "Yes, yes I did. I am not a woman, so I need a woman to fulfill a woman's job." He turned to Kagome. "Would you wish for us to leave?"
 
Kagome gave InuYasha a nervous look. He gave her a shy smile, and walked out of the room. Sesshomaru bowed respectfully and sauntered after InuYasha. Kagome took a deep breath and sat next to the young girl. "Hello . . . Sesshomaru asked me to come and talk to you."
 
The young girl looked over as her eyes brightened up. "Lady Kagome!"
 
Kagome looked a little puzzled. "You know me?"
 
"Yes! Of course I know you! It's me, Rin!"
 
Kagome did a double take as the once young and innocent little girl smiled brightly at her. Kagome smiled as she hugged Rin. "My, my! I didn't realize it was you Rin! You've grown so much!"
 
She frowned and looked out of the window sadly. "Lord Sesshomaru doesn't like my growing."
 
Kagome looked concerned. "What do you mean?"
 
"Ever since 'it' started, whenever I come around him, he always leaves without saying anything.” She dug her face in her knees. "It's like he doesn't like me anymore."
 
Kagome sighed and wrapped her arms around Rin's small figure. "Sesshomaru has taken care of you for about 4 years. I don't think that he could ever not like you." She said, using the pad of her thumb to wipe away Rin's tears of pain. "I can help you, if you'd like. We can start if you tell me what 'it' is."
 
Rin's face blossomed with color. "It's . . . bleeding."
 
"Oh, my---"
 
"This isn't the only time it's happened though. But . . . my tummy starts hurting now! It hurts really badly! I think I'm dying Kagome!"
 
Kagome fought back a laugh as she hugged Rin again, as she began crying again. "Oh, honey, you aren't dying."
 
"I'm not?"
 
"No, you're just going through a process all women go through. Your body is preparing you to have a baby, that's all. But during this time, you must take a bath everyday like you've been doing, but instead of twice, do it about three times a day. Make sure you drink a lot of water, and fruits. And I have something for that pain you have been experiencing. It's just minor cramps . . . nothing that we can't handle."
 
Rin's eyes widened. "I . . . I can have a baby now?"
 
Kagome nodded. "Yes . . . but you should save yourself until you are older." Kagome playfully hooked Rin's nose between her two fingers. "I think Sesshomaru would kill anybody that tried you now."
 
Rin giggled as she swatted Kagome's hands away and hugged the young miko. "Really? Lord Sesshomaru has been saying you are an awesome woman Kagome. Won't you stay here with us?"
 
Kagome blanched a little. "Pardon me?"
 
Rin frowned. "You should stay here with me and Lord Sesshomaru?"
 
Kagome flushed. "Rin . . . I don't think I'll be able to do that. My home is in the village with Kaede. And, I don't think InuYasha will allow that. Where he feels comfortable . . . where he feels comfortable is my home."
 
Rin grinned and hugged Kagome tight again. "Kagome, what do I do about this bleeding?"
 
Kagome frowned. She couldn't give her what she had. She didn't want to alter time too much than she already had. "Okay, this is what you do. I'll give you a couple of my new under garments that I bought before I left home. Throughout the day, I want you to wear these. But you must wear a piece of clothe in the underwear. . . I know! I'll give you a towel!"
 
"I don't understand . . .”
 
"You are going to need something to soak up the blood, understand? But won't have that many pieces of clothe, so you are going to have to wash them daily, understand? It shouldn't be too much of a handle because you should only be on for about three days."
 
Rin looked puzzled for a while, and Kagome smiled as she hugged the girl again. "Let me show you, maybe then you'd understand. I have to go back and get the stuff from the cave. Do you think you'd be alright until tonight?"
 
Rin nodded as Kagome kissed her head and slowly walked out of the room.

8:88:888:88:8

After they had left the room, InuYasha watched as Sesshomaru shot him a dark look and lead him towards the other end of the hall, where they entered a room that was protected by two guards. They allowed them in, and Sesshomaru gave them strict orders to let no one in. InuYasha looked puzzled, and as Sesshomaru sat down in a chair behind a desk, InuYasha refused to sit down. "I see . . . your stubbornness know no ends, does it?"
 
InuYasha growled. "You're damn straight. What did you want?"
 
Sesshomaru folded his hands together and placed them in front of him. He regarded InuYasha for a moment, letting his golden eyes rake over his figure with disgust as he scowled and narrowed his eyes at him. "So, she has made her decision? Foolish woman, she is."
 
"What the hell are you talking about?" InuYasha growled as he cracked his knuckles.
 
Sesshomaru snorted as he ignored the empty threat and combed his claws through his hair."InuYasha, just how do you feel about the miko? Have you told her how you felt? Has she come to you?"
 
InuYasha blushed and stiffened as he trusted his nose in the air and snorted. "That's none of your damn business."
 
Sesshomaru stared at InuYasha with interest. "I see." Standing up, he left from behind the desk, and walked over to the window that overlooked the property that he owned. He sighed as he ran his claw down the glass, making a shrieking sound that hurt InuYasha's sensitive ears. Sesshomaru merely ignored it. "How did someone like you be paired with that which is so perfect and pure? Something so beautiful and rare?"
 
InuYasha scowled. "Just what are you trying to say?"
 
Sesshomaru sighed as he turned and stared at his brother for a couple of moments. "Surely you understand that she is not well. Yet you allow her to venture on her own, where youkai and even humans can take her and do what they wish."
 
InuYasha winced. "That would never happen. I would have been there with her. Besides, they know better than to ever touch her, anybody." InuYasha replied, narrowing his eyes at his half-brother.
 
Sesshomaru snickered. "Your viciousness to protect her, it is astounding. She has wasted so much time; shed so many tears for the sake of you just to break her heart over and over again. You may not see it," He added as InuYasha opened his mouth to comment. "But those around her can. Do you truly think that binding her here is making her happy? Do you truly think she is happy with a hanyouwho is so insecure about himself that he put other's down to make himself feel better?"
 
"Now you just hold on a goddamn minute---"
 
Sesshomaru held up his hand to silence InuYasha. His eyes flashed with anger, rage, and for a moment, InuYasha thought they were pleading. "Leave the miko with me. I promise you she shall live her life to the fullest and be happy. You do not deserve one like her."
 
InuYasha felt his demon blood rising despite Tetsusaiga resting on his hip. With a viscious growl, he bared his fangs and flexed his claws at his brother. In a flash of movement, he whipped out Tetsusaiga and lunged at him with it. But Sesshomaru held off his attack with Tokijin. "Don't you ever ask me that question again,"He growled with anger as his eyes pulsed red. "Or I'll kill you with my bare hands."
 
Sesshomaru chuckled. "Why do you get so offended when I give you an offer to allow the miko to be happy?"
 
InuYasha let out an outraged cry just as he brought his blade above his head. Bringing it down, he heard a soft gasp and stopped mid attack as he heart Kagome scream him name. Suddenly, he felt hands being tightened around his neck, and felt the impact when he was slammed on the wall. Sesshomaru growled softly, even as Kagome pulled and tugged at his hands, screamed and cried for the two to stop. Kagome, feeling it was the last result, closed her eyes, and stumbled as Sesshomaru drew back instantly with a hiss of pain. InuYasha fell to the floor, his eyes still pulsing red as Sesshomaru stood to his feet. Kagome backed away from him with fright, her eyes watering with tears as he raised his hand to strike her.
 
She saw a flash of red, heard a ferocious bark and snarl and watched as InuYasha tackled Sesshomaru to the floor. She watched as she two tried to nip at each other, InuYasha constantly punching Sesshomaru in the face. Kagome pulled InuYasha off of Sesshomaru, and stood in front of him when Sesshomaru went to strike him. He had complete control, Kagome knew, but it was slipping. Just as she knew InuYasha was getting ready to lunge again, she knew he wasn't himself. Squeezing her eyes shut, she opened her mouth and screamed, "Sit!"
 
InuYasha crashed to the floor and didn't move. She narrowed her eyes at Sesshomaru and pointed to a chair. "Move and I'll kill you." Sesshomaru, though how great and mighty he was, knew that this was not an empty threat, but instead, he took a seat on the desk, and watched as the guards helped Kagome pick InuYasha up and take him out of the room.

8:88:888:88:8

InuYasha awoke with a headache and groaned as two things registered to him. One, he could smell Sesshomaru's blood, as well as taste it slightly. Two, Kagome was nearby, and she had been crying for a long time as the scent of her salty tears was heavy and thick in the large room. Opening his eyes, they registered to the darkness for a bit, and he felt a warm, yet fairly frail mass snuggle closer to him in the night as he tried to move. He blinked as the headache intensified, and he heard Kagome sniffle as she buried her head under her chin, tightened her arms around his chest and pushed her knees into his thigh. "Inu-Yasha," She murmured.
 
InuYasha shifted slightly, and he watched as he head lifted up, her unusually bright brown eyes staring at his honey golden ones with hope. "InuYasha?"
 
He nodded slightly as he gave her a puzzled look, and then quickly looked away with humility. She sighed and laid her head back down under his chin. "It's alright. I heard everything."
 
InuYasha shook his head and turned toward her, pulling her close to his chest as he dug his nose in her hair and inhaled her scent. "I . . . it happened, didn't it? Even when I had Tetsusaiga?"
 
She sighed sadly and grabbed a handful of his hair without hurting him, letting it fall through her fingers. She nodded her head, and frowned as he tightened his hold on her as though he was scared to let her go. "I . . . I won't let him have you, even if I have to kill him in order to do it."
 
Kagome gasped softly as the husky quality of his voice, at the sincerity in his tone. Tears came to her eyes, and InuYasha looked at her with concern. She sighed and wiped her eyes, hugging him tight as they freely flowed down her face. "InuYasha . . . I don't want you going around killing people just for me."
 
He pouted and growled. "If that's what I need to do, not even your crying can stop me Kagome."
 
Kagome sighed. Sure, she was touched by his display of affection. But the fact that he transformed with Tetsusaiga on his hip made a chill go up her spine, left her wondering if there ever would be a day when he didn't have to worry about transforming. She wondered if there would ever be a day they wouldn't have to live in constant fear of a new foe resurfacing. Would the day ever come? His animosity was a thing to be frightened, and yet would the day ever come that she would be scared of the man she grown to love? "InuYasha . . . I'm . . . I'm scared."
 
InuYasha flinched a little. He reached into his haori pocket and held something in the palm of his hands. Kagome realized as he picked up her hand and took hold of her ring finger that he was shaking. She gasped softly as she felt a cold and slightly heavy object being pushed down her finger, before InuYasha's soft lips kissed her delicate flesh and he brought her hand to his face, pushing her palm on his cheek, shuddering as the heat from her touch transferred to his skin, leaving him scorched and burned. "Take this as a promise . . . I'll never hurt you."
 
Kagome stared at InuYasha's eyes, than at the ring on her finger. The diamond in it was huge, and utterly beautiful. Looking immediately, she had known that he had made the diamond himself. With a smile, she leaned forward and kissed him on his cheek.
 
Just as soon as she pulled back, his lips captured hers softly, and she sighed against him as her mind was left reeling, and all common sense drained away from her body as she melted into him. She felt like she was in the clouds, floating above the world. Her heart swelled with happiness, and she sighed as InuYasha wrapped his arms around her small figure and pull her close to him. She felt his heartbeat flutter under her fingers as her hands were pressed to his chest. He tilted his head slightly and ran his fangs over his bottom lip, causing tremors to crawl over her skin. Her body turned to ice, and she parted her mouth, a little startled when his tongue immediately darted in and captured hers.
 
She eagerly warred with him, tried to show him how much he meant to her. She remembered how many times she dreamed of this happening to her, she remembered how she felt the many times she thought he was taken away from her. She grabbed a handful of his haori so tight her fingers turned white. He chuckled into the kiss, taking advantage of her shyness, tempting her, goading her into the light that was him. She eagerly took his hand as he offered to show her to the better things of the world. Like a child taking her first steps, she allowed the rampaging of his tongue to lead her, and she learned from him. He offered his broken and battered soul. She took it, bandaged it, massaged and caressed it, and returned it with her own.
 
Pulling back and gasping for breath, he laid his forehead on hers as she closed her eyes and willed her heart to stop hammering painfully against her chest. Just then, he remembered what Sesshomaru said, and he growled softly. "Are you done here?"
 
She nodded quickly. He sighed. "Good. Because in the morning, we're as good as gone."
 
She giggled and cuddled closer to him. "Right."

8:88:888:88:8

Sango sighed as she stared at the moonlight that shown in through the cracks of the hut. She tossed and turned in her bed, and heard the familiar soft snoring of the young man sleeping next to her. She felt around and found Kirara's soft head, and began petting it softly, smiling when the neko pushed her head into Sango's hand without a second thought and popped an eye open. "Were you sleeping?"
 
Kirara, in her tiny form, stood up and licked Sango's face. Sango giggled and continued to pet her as she sat up. Looking through the bamboo mat that stood at the door the hut, she tried to imagine her friend walking into the room, tried to imagine that everything was alright, and everyone would go on like nothing happened. Miroku stirred a little and turned his head, his raven eyes staring at her still full with sleep as he sat up and looked around tiredly. "Is something bothering you?" He asked, rubbing his fingers through his hair.
 
She shook her head as she looked at him. "Nothing, I just have a feeling something bad is happening right now that's deeper than we could ever understand."
 
Miroku shrugged. "We cannot make ourselves ill worrying over them. Think how much stress that would put on them, Kagome especially. The best you can do is getting a good rest, and if you like we can search for them in the morning on the outskirts of the village on Kirara."
 
Sango frowned. "How can you go to sleep when your best friend could be in danger?"
 
Miroku grinned. "It's because I understand that InuYasha would never let harm befall Kagome, and Kagome would never let anything happen to InuYasha. So I tend to worry about what's taking them so long, but never have I worried about their safety because I have faith they will look out for one another."
 
Sango looked at Miroku with an odd sense of wonder. He yawned and blushed as he offered her another serene smile. "You know Miroku, you are always so optimistic when things aren't going well."
 
He shrugged. "I inherit it from my mother, I guess." He yawned again. "Now Sango, I shall be returning to my dreaming now. But you get yourself some sleep. Everything'll be alright, I promise."
 
Sango sighed and watched as Miroku lay down. Shaking her head, she laid her head down and closed her eyes.
 
The wind blew lightly, allowing Shippou and Kirara to play in warm weather as the the four adults each sat on one side of the well, eating snacks Kagome had brought from her time. Miroku was well with teasing InuYasha about losing his cool with the appearance to Kouga only to be subdued by Kagome, landing him into the river. InuYasha still must of had water in his ear because he constantly quirked them, and for a while he didn't say a word to Miroku's taunting. After a while, InuYasha growled and began chasing Miroku around. Sango had this thought on her mind for a long time, but she was always afraid to ask.
 
She crawled around to where Kagome was sitting, to find her friend happily munching on the chips InuYasha were just eating. Smiling sweetly at her friend as she handed her the bag. Sango shook her head and pushed the bag back to Kagome, sinking next to her friend and laying her head on her shoulder. "Kagome, when you travel to the other side, or go away with InuYasha without me and Houshi-sama, do you ever fear that something would happen?"
 
Kagome had smiled. Then, she looked at Sango and smiled. Sango remembered how surprised flashed across her friends face before she had smiled. This smile wasn't one of Kagome's plastered smiles. This was sincere; those kinds of smiles that made Kouga and InuYasha melt before her. "Nope. Because I know no matter how much InuYasha grumbles about protecting me, he wouldn't let anything hurt me. And he knows I wouldn't let anything hurt him." She wrinkled her nose. "Not too much anyway."
 
Sango giggled. "Really? Sometimes I am so afraid that you won't come back and that something happened that I can't sleep for nights, and when you finally return I want to cry so hard it's almost impossible to stop the tears from coming."
 
Kagome hugged her friend as Miroku had chucked a couple of Shippou's acorns at InuYasha, causing the hanyou to stop of them and for Shippou to burst into tears. "Sango, remember this. I'll always come back, no matter what happens. Your my best friend, I think of you as a sister. There's no way I'll ever leave you, any of you."
 
Sango remembered she had cried, and Kagome had laughed at how silly she was being, but hugged her friend until she felt better. Sango smiled as fatigue slowly crept to her. 'As long as she's with InuYasha,' she yawned, 'she'll be just fine.'

8:88:888:88:8

Sesshomaru growled as he cracked open the bedroom door to find his brother and the miko cuddling in the moonlight. Though a wave of jealousy flowed through him, he was momentarily pleased with the effect he had on the two. Closing the door slightly, he turned on his heel and began to walk away when a familiar scent invaded his nostrils and he stopped his movement only to feel the angry aura of the woman behind him. "Just what was your purpose on provoking InuYasha earlier today?"
 
Sesshomaru regarded her figure for a moment, dressed in one of the silk nightgowns one of his servants had supplied. Her raven hair fell over her shoulders and face, giving her beauty a heightened look. Sesshomaru gritted his teeth together and reverted his gaze back to her face. "Do I have to have a purpose to speak the truth with my brother?"
 
Kagome's gaze narrowed as she pinned him with a formidable glare. "What happened to 'the quarrelling must end'?"
 
He shrugged. "What I meant was that they shall be over when one of us claims you. You are the ultimate prize, when one of us claims you as our own; the other can never speak to you again. It would be hard for him, that he would never come back, thus the quarrelling shall stop."
 
Kagome gasped with shock as she pressed the back of her hand to her mouth as Sesshomaru took a step closer. "Now is your time to decide."
 
Kagome let out a cry of surprise as his arm snaked around her waist and pulled her close. Suddenly he stopped and growled just as he pushed her back. "We have to do something about that stench." He growled.
 
Kagome looked utterly infuriated as her miko energies crackled as she began to walk to him. He didn't retreat a step, and he bared his fangs as her aura battled with his youki. Her eyes narrowed at his obvious threat, and she rose on her toes to intimidate him even more. "You bother me and InuYasha ever again,” She growled, sounding so much like a youkai Sesshomaru had to take a whiff of her just to make sure she was still human. "I won't stop him when he gets ready to kill you, do you understand? Try something like this again and I'll see to it your in hell with Naraku."
 
"Is that a threat miko? Do you care so much for my brother to dispose of me to be with him? Do I pose so much of a threat?"
 
Kagome turned and began to stride back in the room. "And if you ever try to touch InuYasha while he's not able to fight back," She closed the door, but stood by it, certain he could hear her. "I'll kill you myself."
 
Sesshomaru heard her feet shuffle away from the door, and he heard the creaking of the bed springs as she climbed into bed with InuYasha. Turning on his heel with a wide grin on his face, he began stalking down the halls aimlessly. She was truly something to meddle with. The complete havoc she caused on his sanity when her eyes flashed, when her aura crackled and flared. When her lips took on a formidable scowl and when her voice lowered to that husky quality he didn't know she possessed. He was tempted with her time and time again, but it just struck him how beautiful this young woman was.
 
He knew she was truly rare indeed. This was the first time she had ever dared to kill somebody other than Naraku. Yet her fierce protection of the hanyou was immediately and instinctive. The ferocity in her and the change in her scent when he wasn't able to protect himself sent Sesshomaru into a state of wonder to the point where he constantly watched and followed her whenever he wasn't around. He never knew whether she knew this or not, but when she fled from him, he was always there, making sure harm never befell her as she wept her big brown eyes out over his foolish brother, and no matter how many times she fled, InuYasha would come running after her. It astounded him how many times she forgave him for breaking her heart, and it made him wonder just to stupid the hanyou was to keep losing her
trust countless times.
She was a strong woman indeed. The children looked up to her, youkai feared her, and she was beautiful and would be able to endure whatever was thrown her way. 'This miko,' He growled. 'Shall be my mate.'

8:88:888:88:8

A/N
 
Sorry it took so long! I had to get my hair done . . . sorry. Anyway, I think I might be able to update on this story again later on tonight, I'm not promising anything anymore because it doesn't always go as I planned it to. Enjoy!
 
(For a future note, if I didn't say it in the beginning, this story is three years in advance. This means these are the ages:
 
Shippou: 11
 
Rin: 10
 
Sango: 21
 
Miroku: 22
 
Kagome: 18
 
InuYasha: 20
 
Sesshomaru: This would make him at least 153. I'm not exactly sure, but as far as the show goes, I'd say this is about right.
 
Some people have questioned me about this whole prospect about where the story left off, so I hope this cleared some things off. Enjoy!