InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 9

~oOo~

Inuyasha... I'm so lost – more lost than I've ever been.  It's so dark.  Are you searching for me?  I don't think you can help me this time...

A pause...

Will I ever see the sun again?

Sundown had come and gone, and the now shortened group finally convinced Inuyasha to stop.  They pointed out that searching in the dark could lead to them missing something important...

More reluctantly than ever before, Inuyasha gave in, and they stopped to sleep – though he couldn't.

Everywhere he looked, he saw her; how she had looked facing down Menomaru, with fear for him in her heart but determination on her face, the fierce expression on her face when she'd flung Tsubaki's curse back at her.  The look in her eyes when she'd been pierced saving him from her own arrow, thanks to Kaguya...

How she'd looked while dying at the hand of the poison-master, Mukotsu.

And then he heard her voice again, a faint echo, but more than clear enough for him to understand the words he was hearing...

She's lost... in the dark?  What the hell has Naraku done to her?  

She doesn't think I can save her this time?

That one hurt – and frightened him, because that was the first time she'd ever doubted that he could save her.  She'd always before believed in him...

What's so different this time?  he thought, impatient and anguished and wanting to do nothing more than destroy Naraku and everything around him until Kagome was returned to his side.

“Kagome,”  he whispered.  “I can hear you... can you hear me?  I'm looking for you – just hang on until I find you.  I'm coming for you... just like I always have.”

There was no response, and he lifted his head to the night sky and watched as another memory of her played out in front of his eyes, the stars shining brilliantly through the vision.

She was haunting him.

He deserved it.

Converting /tmp/php5CjyMt to /dev/stdout