InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 28

~oOo~

Inuyasha lay where he'd come to, unable to move in his crushing grief.

He'd failed her.

Failed.

So many times I promised her... to stay with her.  And I kept breaking that promise.  I was so sure I could protect her well enough despite Kikyou... but in the end, I protected Kikyou, and not Kagome.  But... Kikyou was already dead.  And now...

Now... Kagome...

“No,”  he moaned, tears flooding his eyes, his ears flat to his head.  “Kagome...”

He couldn't even speak any further, his voice caught somewhere in hopeless despair.  He didn't care what happened, anymore.  His will to live was gone.  He would just lay where he was until grief finally killed him.

If I hadn't failed you...

Failed.

A spectre of her appeared before his eyes, smiling at him... but she was fading, pulling away, and he reached out to grasp at her, trying to hold on to the vision as his heart broke.

But she wasn't really there, and he couldn't hold on to a phantom.

His eyes closed as he gave in to the darkness gathering behind his lids.

Converting /tmp/php6CLvIX to /dev/stdout