InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Didn't Know I Was Waiting For You ❯ Clubs and Memories ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

This chapter is almost entirely from a Sesshoumaru POV.

Yadda yadda again I own nothing. Note some names from L5R.

Enjoy(small flashback warning)

Chapter 6 Clubs and Memories

Sesshoumaru wasn't entirely sure what he was doing here. He didn't need to join kendo club. Yet here he was because he was hoping to see her. There were four girls in the club, none were Kagome. The rest of the group consisted of sixteen boys and Sesshoumaru. The club president went around and recorded each person's name. Sesshoumaru gave his without any emotion.

When the president got the last name he looked over his list. He was standing next to the vice president and said, "Looks like all except one of the pre registered is here and we have three registering today."

"Who is the pre-registrar that didn't show?" asked the vice president.

"Higurashi Kagome, do you know her?"

"No. But I saw her in a fight yesterday and she hurt her opponent pretty badly."

"Who was she fighting?"

"Agasha Reiko."

"Daidoji Kenshin's girlfriend?"

"Yep. And he gave his word kendo master to kendo master that Reiko would leave her alone."

The club president said incredulously, "Well if she's that good, then why isn't she here?"

"Maybe she feels she dishonored the sport by harming Reiko. Although considering the guy who took her from the scene of the fight is the same guy whose heart Reiko broke last spring while down from Kenshin.. hell the bitch practically threw his heart into a bonfire.. I'm willing to bet she felt pretty damn justified in the fight."

"Do you know how badly Reiko was hurt?"

"Maybe a broken wrist and Kagome told Kenshin that she'd broken a couple ribs."

"What?! Was she using a boken?"

"No, Higurashi started without a weapon and got a shinai right at the end. Reiko had a boken from the beginning. That bitch was out for blood."

"Apparently.." He signed, "well let's not write off talent like that without seeing and speaking with her first."

Sesshoumaru wondered at their assessment, but decided they were only foolish humans. He approached the club activities with the same indifference he gave most human activities. The club members were suitably impressed and no one gave him any competition. Observing some of the inexperienced and clumsier members reminded him of her. The first time she'd held a shinai she'd been facing him in his dojo.

~~flashback~~

Sesshoumaru had tracked down Inuyasha and his companions. It had been six weeks and Rin really wanted to see Kagome again. He would never admit it out loud, but he wanted to see her too. Inuyasha detected Sesshoumaru's scent moments before he landed. Sesshoumaru set Rin down beside him.

While the rest of the group was deciding how to react, Inuyasha drew Tetsusaiga and yelled, "What do you want?" and moved to attack.

"Sit!" and he was flattened to the ground by the powerful word from Kagome. Internally Sesshoumaru smirked at his brother's misfortune. Inuyasha grumbled and whined from his place in the dirt. Kagome ignored him and walked over to the youkai prince. Sesshoumaru gave his brother a disdainful glare and then looked back at the approaching Miko. He was unable to keep the tenderness in his eyes from her.

"Rin wanted to see you Kagome." *So did I.* His voice was flat and cold. He looked down at Rin and nodded. *Hug her for me too.*

Rin happily ran the last few steps to Kagome. "Onee-san" she cried as she flung her arms around Kagome's neck. Kagome smiled and swung the girl up into her arms for a tight hug before setting her back down.

"Hello Rin-chan," she said with loving friendship in her voice. Rin looked at her with adoration in her eyes.

Inuyasha had sheathed Tetsusaiga and started to move closer to Kagome. He was glaring dangerous daggers at Sesshoumaru. The violence in his aura caused Rin to shrink away in fear. Kagome glared angrily at the selfish Hanyou, "Don't make me use the s- word."

"What?" he asked as he continued to come closer.

Rin clutched Kagome's hand in fright and Kagome said, "You're frightening Rin. .. Sit!" Inuyasha was flattened to the ground.

"Bitch.." followed by a choking sound due to the claw that held him in the air by his throat.

No one had seen Sesshoumaru move to grab his brother and he snarled in a tone that was almost angry, "Do not use that language in front of Rin again!" He then tossed Inuyasha into a nearby tree, dazing the confused angry hurt Hanyou.

"Inuyasha," Kagome said, "Sesshoumaru is right. You shouldn't use that type of language around children. Its bad enough you use it around Shippo."

Sesshoumaru decided not to give his brother a change to respond and swiftly spoke after Kagome. "Kagome, Rin was hoping you'd visit for a few days." His voice was smooth and soft.

"Like.." Inuyasha began.

"Shut up," yelled Sango and Miroku.

At the same time Kagome said, "Sit." Inuyasha was flattened back into the ground and he grumbled from the dirt. Kagome continued, "I don't know if I can," she looked down and saw the pleading in Rin's big brown eyes. "If the invitation extends to my friends than I suppose I could come." Inuyasha growled but didn't speak.

"If you friends can accept to hospitality of the Youkai Lord of the West than they are welcome as well." *Why am I inviting obnoxious humans to my castle?* Kagome gave him a sweet smile in thanks for the invitation to her friends. *That's why.*

Sango recovered from the initial shock first and answered, "Actually I've been hoping to get some time to go home for a week and Miroku agreed to accompany me if the opportunity ever showed up. Thank you for the kind offer Sesshoumaru-sama but I must refuse."

"As must I," replied Miroku, "after all I agreed to go with Sango-san."

"Feh," was Inuyasha's growl.

Shippo had come over by Kagome and Rin, "Can I come?"

Kagome picked him up, "Of course Shippo-chan. You and Rin can be playmates." She smiled at both children. Rin smiled and jumped around happily.

"Fine!" yelled a very angry Inuyasha, "Go if you want. I'll be at Kaede's village when you're all through." And before a word could be spoken in response, Inuyasha jumped to the trees and sulked away.

Kagome had looked sad and deflated watching his retreating back. Her pain made Sesshoumaru want to throttle his brother more than usual and also caused him to want to give Kagome a comforting hug. He could do neither and so he did the only thing he could. He offered his presence by saying, "Well if you're ready to go, you can ride on my back while I carry Rin in my arm. Your kitsune cub can hold onto you."

"Let me get my bag." She put it on and then gave Sango and Miroku hugs. Miroku had a hand print on his face as both girls screamed, "Pervert." Sesshoumaru held back his growl. "See you both in about a week." Kagome said to Sango because Miroku was out cold on the ground. Sango nodded and Kagome went to the Inu-youkai lord and smiled.

He helped her onto his back and then tightly wrapped his tail around her. Sesshoumaru liked feeling her arms and legs wrapped around him. He realized her sweet soft intoxicating scent was almost unbearable with her on his back. *This must be why my brother carries her on his back so often* The fox cub jumped to her shoulder and than partially buried himself between her back and her backpack. Sesshoumaru picked up Rin and took to the trees and air.

Sesshoumaru became pleasantly aware that Kagome had her face resting in the tip of his tail. Her warm breath on the sensitive skin under the fur was sending delightful shivers down his spine. Her arms and legs tightened each time he took fully to the sky rather than staying in the tree tops. Subconsciously he remained airborne more because of it. *An individual could get used to her presence like this. After experiencing this, her on my back, I can't help but wonder at the complete stupidity of my brother for hurting her. How could anyone willingly give up this type of comforting presence? If she were my traveling companion I'd probably want to carry her on my back all the time. Damn. She smells incredible. Am I sure she's human?* He scoffed at himself. *Of course she's human, what am I thinking?*

He had to travel most of the rest of the day and used his magic to make sure they got to the castle before sunset. Sesshoumaru landed outside his gates, the sun was just above the western horizon. He gently set Rin down. She had napped against him for part of the journey and was now fully awake. The kit jumped down without prompting. Kagome still held on to him and for a moment he didn't want to let her go. Rin looked up with questioning eyes and he decided he had to give up his pleasant cargo. "Kagome," he said quietly, "we've arrived."

Kagome blinked and blushed a bit as she started to loosen her hold on him. He helped her slowly lower to the ground. Jakken had come running out to greet his master and scowled at Kagome. Much to the toad's annoyance and Sesshoumaru's amusement she stuck her tongue out at him. "Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama," Kagome said and he nodded to her.

"Jakken show Kagome to her quarters, the same ones as before. As for the fox.."

"I stay with Kagome-chan," he interrupted. Sesshoumaru glared at him.

"That's right, Shippo stays with me." Kagome quickly put in to keep Sesshoumaru from getting mad at the little fox. He nodded and left. Jakken muttered and led Kagome and company to her room.

The next day the two children youkai and human played together in the garden. Sesshoumaru stood beside Kagome in the early morning light watching them as they started a game of tag. Sesshoumaru looked down at the lovely girl-woman beside him and said, "Kagome I know you are good with your bow but I think you should learn to handle a sword."

She looked startled and asked, "Why would I need to? I have my bow and Sango and Inuyasha are teaching me hand to hand."

"A blade is more effective than a bow in close quarters and much deadlier than you pathetic human claws." He hadn't expected the elbow she delivered to his gut. He almost back handed her when he saw the shock and fear on her face.

The scent of her fear assailed his sensitive nose as she backed away. "Go..gomen..asai," she stammered. The fear in her scent and eyes wounded him deeply. She was still backing away from him, head bowing.

"Don't do it again," he replied flatly while stepping toward her. He reached out and as he placed his hand on her shoulder she flinched. *Why these daggers in my heart?* Sesshoumaru lowered his voice and said, "I won't ever hurt you. Not intentionally." He pulled her to his chest as he stepped to close the distance. "Just please don't cause a reflex strike." Her face was now buried in his chest with his hand caressing her upper back. Kagome nodded against him and wrapped her arms around him.

Sesshoumaru leaned his head down to experience her scent and was very pleased that the fear was no longer there. She lightly petted his tail as she held on to him. He repressed the purr that wanted to escape at her touch. They stood there like that for a few moments. Neither one wanted to break the sweet tenderness of the embrace. Then Sesshoumaru removed his hand from her back and she responded by slowly releasing her hug on him.

Kagome took a step away from him and smirked, "So you were going to teach me the sword." *He has such incredible eyes, bad Kagome!*

*She is very lovely when she smiles, stop it Sesshoumaru, she's human!* He nodded and called out flatly, "Jakken watch over the children. Kagome and I will be in the dojo if you need either of us for them." He watched to be sure the toad obeyed the command and then turned back to Kagome. "This way," and he turned toward a part of the estate she'd not seen before.
Sesshoumaru had handed her a shinai and told her to defend herself as he took one himself. He attacked slowly and disarmed her ten times in a row. She was clumsy and didn't know the first thing about effective handling of a blade. "I thought you were going to teach me, not humiliate my ineptitude," she cried angrily holding her tender wrist after the tenth disarming.

"I was evaluating what you do and do not know. Now the lessons begin. Pick up the shinai." She did as she was told and he came over to her. He adjusted her grip and stance. Then he led her through different kattas. His body was very close to hers as they worked and he found himself surrounded by her scent. He also noticed how much she blushed at the close contact and was secretly pleased by the affect he appeared to have on her.

Sesshoumaru worked with her over the next two days before starting her with sparing. During the training he found himself enjoying her company more and more. When they began sparing he went slowly, but not easily on her. He constantly gave her small encouragements and was rewarded by soft smiles and gentle hugs. He also found himself distracted by her eyes whenever he pinned her.

They became completely comfortable with one another during that week. Even more so than her previous visit. Sesshoumaru decided he liked when she petted his fluffy tail and would deliberately place it near her when they sat in the grass watching the children. He had to constantly fight the purr in his throat but he couldn't help but indulge in the pleasure of her fingers in his fur. He knew his tail was the reason for her Fluffy nickname. By the end of the week he had come to enjoy hearing her call him that name when they were alone. Sesshoumaru couldn't really remember a happier time in his life. Now he wished he'd let her know how much he cherished that time with her.

~~~~end flashback~~~

As the club session ended, Sesshoumaru wished more and more that she had been there. "Alright, the club meets every Tuesday same time same place. Right now though we need to clear out because archery club is about to meet." While the coach finished addressing the group, Sesshoumaru's ears perked up, proverbially speaking. He decided to wait for archery club to meet. *Even if she wasn't in kendo, she'll show up for archery.* He didn't realize that he had already begun to believe this was the same Kagome he knew almost 500 years ago.

The group that began to mix was almost evenly distributed between guys and girls, leaning slightly toward more girls. The club president approached him while making his rounds to get names. "Are you joining Archery Club?" He gave the lad an empty glare.

"I wish to observe a meet before deciding if it's worth my time," he replied flatly.

The boy shivered slightly at the coldness in Sesshoumaru's voice but said, "Alright if you decide during of after the meet let me know." He then moved quickly to the next person.

Sesshoumaru waited and was just about to give up on her showing when the doors opened and Kagome and her boyfriend ran in. It was perhaps one minute before the club was to begin and they were both out of breath. "I hope," began the boy.

"That we're not late," finished Kagome. Both were still breathing heavily and trying to catch their breath. The vice president of the kendo club was there and Sesshoumaru could see his interest as he looked at Kagome. He stifled the growl as he noted that the boy's interest was not professional.

The Archery Club president smiled at the two new comers and said, "No you're not late. What are your names?"

"Higurashi Kagome."

"Doji Hojo."

"Have either of you any archer experience?"

"Yes."

"Nope."

The club president nodded and then indicated for them to join the rest of the group. "Alright let's assess what everyone knows and needs help with. Then we will decide who is to be our club instructors and get to practicing. We have a lot of great plans for this year's club and quite a few competitions to consider. Let's begin."

The club was suitably impressed with Kagome's skill. She was by far the best one there. She hit the bull's-eye every single arrow. Her form was perfect, from the way she stood to the draw of the string to the release. She got quite a bit of attention from the assembled and they decided she'd be a good instructor.

Sesshoumaru watched impassively from the side. He'd cast a minor `not here' incantation when Hojo and Kagome entered, yet he noticed how her eyes kept glancing at him. Any time she stepped away from the line she looked his way, briefly meeting his eyes before turning her attention once again to the target. She also started helping Hojo with his training and was indecently close to him as she guided him in his form and stance. Watching her help Hojo reminded him of when he'd trained Kagome in sword work. Although that didn't stop the thoughts about how indecently close they were, even if he'd stood closer to Kagome 500 years ago.

The kendo vice president came over by them as they were away from the shooting line. He said, "Higurashi Kagome?" and held out his hand, "I'm Kaiu Sentou, vice president of the kendo club.

Sesshoumaru repressed the barely audible growl as she blushed while accepting his hand. Kaiu looked pleased by the blush. "Nice to meet you," Kagome replied softly as she shook his hand. Kaiu had well trimmed stylish black hair and dark chocolate eyes. His face was slightly tanned and he was attractive with a slight cleft in his strong face.

"We were wondering where you were this morning at kendo club." He said with a smile on his lips and an appreciative look in his eyes.

"Oh," she smiled in embarrassment and nodded at Hojo, "Hojo-kun and I were so busy this morning that kendo completely slipped my mind." Sesshoumaru could tell be her stance and eyes that it was not the whole truth. I caused him to wonderer what she was hiding.

"Will you come to the next meeting?" he asked with an annoying, at least to Sesshoumaru, pleading in his voice.

"I don't know," she sounded honestly unsure and Sesshoumaru wondered if maybe she did feel she'd dishonored the sport. After all unlike most of the humans of today Kagome did have a sense of honor.

Without thinking Kaiu said, "But you're so good."

"How do you know?" Kagome asked sharply, slightly stinging Sesshoumaru's sensitive ears.

Kaiu blushed with embarrassment and Sesshoumaru was glad he had the decency to feel ashamed. "I saw the fight with Agasha yesterday," he replied sheepishly.

"I see.. then I guess I won't be there next week," her voice crestfallen.

"I didn't think Higurashi Kagome was the type to chicken out of any commitment. I had no idea she was such a coward." He surprised himself by saying, knowing deep in his heart it was just the barb she needed to do exactly what her soul craved.

Her eyes flared at him with a familiar intensity. *That's the friend I remember.* "Oh really Isawa Sesshoumaru," her voice dripped with .contempt?. "and I suppose you know all about me." *Why the contempt Kagome-chan?* He decided to simply nod without any emotion in his eyes or on his face. She rewarded him with the fire of the Kagome he remembered so well and an unsurprising mix of Inuyasha's attitude. Her furious eyes never left his as she said, "I'll be there next week Kaiu-san." The boy simply nodded not wanting to be on the receiving end of Kagome's glare.

It took all of Sesshoumaru's control not to smile. *She just may be the same Kagome. If she is I have to know how that is possible.* He observed the rest of the club impassively. Suddenly he was looking forward to this dreadful experience known as university life and it was all because an old friend may have come back into his life.