InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Didn't Know I Was Waiting For You ❯ The Dinner Party ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I profusely apologize for the delay in getting this typed. First off please be aware that this is a very long chapter (10000+ words before I added my comments) and I'm not the best or fastest typer in the world (or even my house).

I also need to apologize to everyone who was offended by my comment about shooting you if you thought Sess would rape Kagome last chapter, the only reason I wrote it was because I know there a sick twisted m*****f***ers out there who would think the worst and they are the ones I would shoot.

Again be fore-warned this chapter is long; it's a big get together with a little fun in the mix. (uninvited guests)

To L5R players be warned names from the game used herein.

___________________________________________________________

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and Company, nor do I have any ownership of L5R copyrights nor do I infringe by making a reference to George Lucas' Star Wars because I don't own anything and do this with great respect for the creative minds behind the original works.

___________________________________________________________

Chapter 10: The Dinner Party

Sesshoumaru arranged to have cars pick up all of his guests and kept a close eye on the chef and help. He wanted everything to be perfect for Kagome. He kept his voice low when he corrected mistakes so as not to frighten his young guest. Rinoa took to the gardens much as Rin had. He had a daughter again, kind of. He was so busy in a flurry to get everything done that he hadn't even heard or sensed when his personal assistant arrived.

Before dawn on Saturday, Sesshoumaru was already up fretting about the ballroom. He was making his help quite nervous as well as himself, though his cold exterior didn't show it. He barely kept himself from jumping and lunging at the person who cleared their throat behind him. He did however whirl around and snarl at Kagura who stood with a perfectly manicured claw on her hip.

"Sesshoumaru-sama, what is going on here? The place is in a state of slightly organized chaos." Kagura looked questioningly at her boss. She'd worked for him for over two hundred years and still didn't understand him. She couldn't for the life of herself figure out why he seemed uncertain.

"Kagura, I didn't know you were back yet." Sesshoumaru stated settling himself down before she jumped to unusual conclusions, not that she ever had in the past. You never could be too careful with youkai employees. "How did the meeting go?"

She nodded, *Always business,* "The moron wanted fifty grand more and when I refused he pulled a gun. That was the last mistake he ever made. Yoritomo's daughter is back safely where she belongs and that particular Yakuza family will owe you for quite some time."

"Was she unharmed?"

"Yes, they knew if anyone touched her there would be an all out war. However none of her captors lived long enough to report back to their masters. And before you ask the Soshi family was behind the kidnapping."

"As always, a well done job Kagura." He paused and then chose to answer her question. "As for what is going on, I'm having a dinner party tonight." He could tell she was startled; he never hosted parties of any kind. "The guest of honor is the Miko Kagome." He watched for her reaction and was not disappointed.

"She's alive! You mean she's actually the same Kagome who freed me from Naraku?" Her face was a mixture of surprise, awe and joy. She was smiling like a school girl and Sesshoumaru felt himself wanting to smile in return. *She is rather pretty when she smiles without malice.*

"The very same, however I haven't informed her that you work for me yet and I would rather she not meet you unexpectedly. I'm sure you remember how rash she could be, she freed you after all." She looked at him stunned as he chuckled softly. *Did he just make a joke? Oh my god what's going on?* "So I don't want you crashing the party, alright Kagura?"

"Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama, I won't crash the party, but please tell her as soon as possible. I've wanted to thank her for over four centuries."

"I'll tell her as soon as she's ready. After all you tried to kill her much more than I ever did and you were still an enemy when she left the past for good."

Kagura nodded sadly, "Just tell her as soon as she's ready. By the way, who is the new human in the house?"

"Rinoa, she's my new ward." He noticed Kagura raise an eyebrow but say nothing. "Kagome, Tomaru, and I rescued her from a gang rape Wednesday night."

"You were on a date with Kagome Wednesday?" When he nodded she felt a little pain in her heart, she always knew he loved another, she just didn't know it was Kagome. "You love her don't you?" He looked momentarily surprised, but only because she'd known him so long could she read it. He nodded. "Does she love you?" He nodded again. "Then you have my support against whatever may come. I will stand beside you both, the one who gave me freedom and the one who gave me friendship and a place to belong."

Sesshoumaru could feel the unsaid part of her words and understood for the first time what the wind demoness truly felt for him. He felt bad for her, but he could never feel that way for her. "Thank you Kagura, you will always be my friend and welcome in my home." She nodded and turned silently. As she left Sesshoumaru smelled her tears *I'm sorry Kagura, I could never have loved you like that. Forgive me.*

Though still lost in his thoughts he did not fail to notice the arrival of six powerful Youkai about an hour later. Sesshoumaru was furious. *How dare they invade my lands without invitation?* He strode with enraged dignity to the front door. He opened it just as the chime rang throughout the halls. The three Lords of the other cardinal points and their Ladies stood dressed beautifully on his marble steps. Behind them their limos started to move away from the house front.

Sesshoumaru looked striking in a black Armani suit with his perfect white tail draped over his right shoulder. He wore no illusions at all and his unexpected guests looked rather stunned. The all looked perfectly human wearing designer clothing. Sesshoumaru wanted to growl at them but instead said, "We will talk in my study." He whirled on his heel and headed inside knowing they would follow in spite of his rudeness. This was as polite as he would be with them and they knew that.

Sesshoumaru glided behind his desk and looked hard at each lord in turn, ignoring their useless ladies. He knew just how stupid the southern lady was, how vain the northern lady, only the eastern lady had a wit about her and it wasn't much. His eyes stopped on the northern lord, he enjoyed being a ring leader and the eastern lord usually allowed him to be. Sesshoumaru patiently bore holes with his eyes through the lord's head and waited for him to speak.

Sezaru, the Hawk Youkai, Lord of the North finally spoke, "Lord Sesshoumaru, I hear the famous Miko Kagome is going to be your guest tonight. Is this somehow true?"

Sesshoumaru glared coldly at them, wondering which had the tap on Shippo's or Kouga's line. "The Miko Kagome and her family and friends will be my guests tonight. She was after all instrumental in destroying Naraku and also very dear to my departed half-brother." His voice was perfectly calm and cold.

Kaneka, Cat Youkai, Lord of the South then said, "But there is a rumor you may mate with this human Miko and as your fellow lords we came to see the truth of it and weather or not she is worthy. As strange and rare as it is, some humans are worthy of a Youkai's attention. If she is such then you will have our support, if not……… well you know the consequences."

Sesshoumaru wanted to snarl and tear them limb from limb, but settled instead on saying, "If you insist on meeting the Miko of the Shikon no Tama then I extend what hospitality I chose for one evening. As long as no violence results, you will leave my estate alive. Any disreputable acts may carry the punishment of death." His voice was deadly cold and chilled even the Youkai lords before him.

The Lords agreed to his terms and then went to enjoy the hospitality of his gardens, causing a very frightened young human to retreat to her room for the day. This only added to Sesshoumaru's silently burning rage. Sesshoumaru's heart lifted some when he called to warn Kagome and she didn't call the dinner off. He was very proud of her because all she asked was an assurance that her family and Hojo would be safe from the Youkai lords. He then called Kouga and Shippo to warn them of the uninvited guests.

The first car arrived at 5:30 and Kagome and Hojo got out. Kagome wore a lovely dress in soft pale pink with white pumps and nude nylons. There was a white sash about her waist that looked like something hung from her hip, of course nothing was there. She smiled at her handsome youkai love and he gave her a tender hug. He kissed her brow as he released her. Then he extended a claw to Hojo who took it fearlessly. "Welcome, Hojo-san," Sesshoumaru said as the two shook hands.

"Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama," replied the lad respectfully.

Sesshoumaru led the two of them into a parlor and offered drinks. Hojo accepted a glass of juice and Kagome asked for a sparkling water. They sat down with their drinks and the other Lords and their Ladies entered. They no longer hid their youkai traits. Hojo looked at them and felt fear rise in himself. As his scent started to change, Kagome placed a gentle hand on his arm causing his fear to fade. The youkai lords had smelled the fear and chilling smiles spread across their faces.

Sezaru spoke into the silent room that was filled with delightful lavender and fear scents. "Lord Sesshoumaru, are you going to be a good host and introduce us to the Miko Kagome or must we do it ourselves?" He turned from Sesshoumaru as he finished by looking at Kagome. He wore an almost sinister smile, revealing sharp beak-like teeth. He extended a feathered taloned hand toward her.

Kagome slowly, deliberately set down her water before standing. She knew her apparent disregard of his `superiority' would infuriate the youkai. She then turned to him and took his hand, a soft almost malicious smile on her lips. "I prefer if people call me Kagome." His taloned hand was bone cold in her warm human hand. *I can fix that.* Kagome's aura flared bright orange. The other youkai took an involuntary step backwards. Sezaru would have done likewise, but was unable to move.

Still holding his hand, letting her fury burn through her very skin, she continued while looking in his eyes. "I don't appreciate youkai I do not know inviting themselves to a personal affair. If I wasn't such a pleasant person I would be very angry with your inconsiderate rude attitudes. But considering I am quite a nice person and you are already here, I guess it's ok if you stay for dinner." She then released a very red taloned hand from her slightly warm grip.

Sezaru burnt hand was not healing as fast as it should, but the nasty red faded slowly leaving small blisters in its wake. His feathers ruffled and his eyes began to bleed red. In a very angry voice he snarled, "You dare such impudence human?"

Sesshoumaru felt his blood boil but before he could move to throttle his `guest' Kagome had drawn a very familiar sword and had it at Sezaru's throat. The Tetsusaiga was fully transformed in her hand with its tip pressed into his Adams apple. *How does she have the sword; why hasn't she told me?* "I do not appreciate your tone of voice Lord Hawk. Seeing as I am a miko and my primary duty is to rid the world of vile youkai I am very tempted to rid it of YOU." Kagome's voice was so deadly soft that Sezaru began to smell of fear.

Sezaru could see his death in her eyes, not since just before the treaty was made over two hundred years ago had he feared for his life. This frail looking human woman would kill him without remorse if he didn't do or say something fast. "No disrespect was meant Miko Kagome-sama," he somehow managed to not squeak with fear.

She lowered the blade, un-transforming it as she did. She did not however re-sheath the blade. "Perhaps in that case this night can still be civilized." Her voice was calm and controlled.

"Is that the legendary Tetsusaiga?" asked Kaneka's mate. Kagome nodded. "But I thought it went to hell with that worthless Hanyou."

Kagome momentarily pulsated with pure rage. She lifted the sword in her hand and as she pointed it at the Cat Youkai it became a huge fang again. Kagome didn't fully understand why the fang responded to her so well but was glad it did. "What did you just say about Inuyasha?" Kagome's voice had never in her life quivered with such deadly rage and hatred, not even when she had faced Agasha last spring. It was so frightening even Hojo backed away in uncertainty while Sesshoumaru marveled at his beloved's strength.

The Cat Youkai blinked, being as stupid as she was didn't fully comprehend the danger she was in, and said, "I said I thought he took the fang to hell with him."

"You also called him worthless when he did something no one else was able to do back then. He fought and defeated Naraku. He stopped an evil that would have made all," she pointed the blade at each Lord and Lady, "of you its pet." She was virtually quivering with death-fire, barely containing it.

The youkai lords bristled at her insult and flexed their claws. *Not the best move.* Sesshoumaru thought in pity for his `guests'. Naseru, Bear Youkai, Lord of the East said with a deadly glint in his eyes, "That Hanyou bastard, Naraku, would never have defeated us."

Kagome's bright burning blue eyes met his unflinchingly. Her eyes looked like the heart of a raging fire, intense as an inferno. "You really believe that Lord Bear?" She reached inside the not quite empty Shikon no Tama at her throat and touched the tiny trickle of purified power that still remained. She allowed the power to flow through her and augment her own miko energies. Her voice was barely a whisper as she said, "Sit."

All six great Youkai were flattened to the ground unable to move and she refused to let them up. All they could do was lie with their faces buried in Sesshoumaru's rug as she continued. "That was barely a rain drop worth of the power this jewel once possessed. If Naraku had possessed the entire jewel back then, each and every one of you would have either been killed or made slaves. He wanted nothing more than to have the entire world bow down to him. He would have had that if it wasn't for that WORTHLESS HANYOU as you so kindly put it. Inuyasha saved your sorry butts from ever having to face Naraku's evil. You should be on your knees asking his forgiveness from beyond the grave." Finally spent of her anger with them she released them. She also sheathed the Tetsusaiga.

The six rather flustered Youkai nobles stood up. Never had they been bested with a single word and it was a humbling experience to say the least. Naseru was the one who noticed that Sesshoumaru had not received any of the treatment from her and considering how much he had hated the Hanyou decided she must feel for him. If that was the case than with her power she was a match for a Youkai, even one as strong as Sesshoumaru. "Sesshoumaru, we do not need to stay any longer. I believe I speak for us all that if this is your choice than we approve. Your fellow cardinal Lords will stand beside this decision." The other two lords nodded and all six turned to walk out the door. Sesshoumaru didn't bother to escort his unwanted guests out.

"What was he talking about Sesshou-chan?" Kagome asked the somewhat amused, somewhat confused Inu-youkai.

"They are giving me their approval should I choose to ask you to be my mate which is my intention, not that their approval was wanted or required." He said quickly looking at her hoping she wouldn't be angry.

Kagome smiled at him and walked over to the Inu-Lord, "You look so cute when you're agitated Fluffy-chan." She hugged him, "And I will be happy to be your wife, just not today okay?" She looked up at him with love in her eyes.

He pulled her tightly to him and kissed her, forgetting for the moment Hojo was in the room. He also was so lost in her flavor that he didn't notice the arrival of his other guests until Kagome's mother cleared her throat angrily.

Mrs. Higurashi said harshly, "Kagome dear, won't you please introduce us to this most inhumanly handsome man." It was clear she was starting by not liking Sesshoumaru.

Kagome blushed and gave Sesshoumaru a reassuring smile before looking at her family at the door. "Mother this is my fiancé(Her mother gasped) Sesshoumaru, Youkai Lord of the Western lands. Sesshou-chan this is my mother Higurashi Itami, my grandfather Matsu Nakamuro, and my little brother Souta." She indicated each as she spoke.

Sesshoumaru walked over. He heard Souta whisper, "Cool, Inuyasha's brother." He stepped to the old man to shake his hand. When he got within about five feet Matsu Nakamuro jumped forward and started plastering scrolls on him. As he did this he muttered such nonsense as `be gone demon' and `vanquish foul beast'. Sesshoumaru stood there, arms folded as the old man vainly attempted to banish the youkai lord. Itami found it slightly amusing to watch her father assault the Inu-youkai. Until the glare crossed the demon's eyes her thinking had begun to soften toward him. The glare Sesshoumaru started to give the old man after five minutes of his raving was positively murderous.

Kagome saw the look in his eyes and decided to rescue the old man as well as save Sesshoumaru from her mother. "Grandfather you know you lost your ability to vanquish demons long ago. Let me show you how it's done." She said this wickedly causing her mother to raise an eyebrow at her daughter. Sesshoumaru missed Itami's look as he whirled in surprise to face Kagome. He saw the mischievous glint in her eyes and wondered just what she had planned. He also noticed the visible blue lightening dancing in her hand. Her mother smirked while her grandfather puffed with pride, Souta was just confused. She advanced on him slowly, not smiling, with her hand slightly in front of her. For one moment Sesshoumaru was actually afraid she might strike him. He took a step away uncertainly.

As he moved she pounced. Sesshoumaru wasn't expecting her pounce. He was slightly off balance and went down with Kagome on top of him. She began petting his tail and scratching behind his ear. Sesshoumaru couldn't stop the purr from erupting from his throat in pleasure. The purr so surprised Itami and Nakamuro that they simply stared. Sesshoumaru realized the position he was in and swiftly stood, pulling Kagome up into his arms against his chest. He saw the stunned looks on the faces of Kagome's family and the demons who had arrived while his position was compromised.

Kouga looked at the mighty Sesshoumaru who had been purring like a kitten seconds ago and burst out laughing. His laughter was infectious and for a moment everyone forgot just how dangerous Sesshoumaru was and joined in the laughter. Sesshoumaru started to growl threateningly when suddenly Kagome was kissing him. His growl ended abruptly as he held her close. The demons briefly realized just how much danger they had been in and stopped laughing which also caused Kagome's family to quiet. Itami was surprised by her daughter's bold move and wondered at the control she seemed to have over this terrifyingly beautiful youkai prince. When the kiss ended the laugher was already gone and only Souta's ewe could be heard. She smiled at the youkai she loved so much and he whispered quietly to her, "Evil Miko." She only nodded and stepped away.

Sesshoumaru turned to his guests and said, "Let us go to the dinning hall and we can continue the introductions there." He then escorted everyone to the hall, holding Kagome's hand.

They arrived in a large hall with floor to ceiling windows along the sides, letting quite a bit of the dieing sun's light in. Placed on the walls between the windows were lovely crystal scone lamps giving a softer glow than the vibrantly fading red of the sun. When they got there Sesshou released Kagome's hand. Kouga scooped her up in a warm hug the moment she was out of his grasp.

Kouga swung Kagome around in a wide circle. "So Kagome, have you decided to be my second woman yet?" His eyes twinkled mischievously.

"Kouga!" Kagome and Ayame cried out in outrage at the same time. Sesshoumaru growled ominously.

Kouga set Kagome down and kissed her cheek, "I'm only teasing Kagome-chan. You know I would never degrade you by making you a second woman. And I would never leave my Ayame for anyone, not even you."

Kagome blushed, "Just so you realize how lucky you are that she puts up with you." Kouga and Ayame both smiled.

Kouga then looked around the room and asked, "So where are the pompous air-bags known as Sezaru, Naseru, and Kaneka and their witless wives?"

Sesshoumaru forgot his jealousy, knowing there was only friendship between Kagome and Kouga. He internally smirked at the fearlessness of the wolf prince. Kagome blushed at the mention of the other lords of the realm and Sesshoumaru said, "Kagome put them in their place and they left."

Kouga smiled, as did her other friends. Her family looked curious. Kouga then said, "Good going Kagome-chan. I hope they now know to keep their noses out of your business." He then turned to look again at Sesshoumaru, "Oh and I apologize, my line was the one tapped."

"I think they do Kouga-san. Don't worry about the tap, but if you'd like I'll have my people check your lines periodically for taps." Sesshoumaru received Kouga's nod before continuing about Kagome, "I also think they now know not to insult Inuyasha around Kagome ever again."

Ayame asked, "Why what happened?"

As Kagome turned an even brighter shade of red Hojo replied, "She sat them just like she used to sit Inuyasha."

The youkai looked stunned and her family was surprised as well. Sesshoumaru said, "Kagome used a little bit of the power left in the jewel to enhance her own power and subdued all six of them quite well."

"Stop it!" Kagome cried, "Stop embarrassing me. I just don't like rude party crashers who insult one of the best friends I've ever had. Okay?"

Sesshoumaru put his arms around her and said, "Gomen." He then kissed the crown of her head before releasing her. The group then finished making introductions and Itami had to order Nakamuro to behave himself. Sesshoumaru tossed the youkai lord name cards into the fireplace and moved everyone closer together. He pulled the table in half and moved everyone to one half. Itami studied the controlled youkai prince who seemed to have some spell over her daughter's heart.

As everyone settled by their name cards Sesshoumaru had a servant go look for Rinoa. The seating was Sesshoumaru at the head of the table and Rinoa at the foot. On his right were Kagome, Itami, Nakamuro, Kouga and Ayame. On his left were Shippo, Souten, Tomaru, Hojo and Souta. He hoped Ayame and Souta wouldn't be too terrifying for Rinoa to sit next to. After a few minutes Rinoa came in and Kagome gave her a sweet reassuring smile while introducing her as Sesshoumaru's ward.

Itami, who had some latent miko ability, knew this girl was human and wondered why a human girl would be a demon's ward. She also noticed the petite body guard who left Rinoa's side once she entered the dinning hall. Itami studied the looks Sesshoumaru and her daughter gave each other and after the first course decided to ask him her questions.

"So what exactly are you intentions toward my little girl?" Itami asked into the interlude of reminiscence. Kagome blushed at her mother's directness.

Sesshoumaru looked deeply into Itami's eyes and said, "I intend to marry Kagome and spend as long as I can with her in my life. If I could find a way for her life to be as long as mine I would spend forever with her." He reached over and took Kagome's hand. "I waited over four hundred years for Kagome to come back into my life and I don't want to live any longer if she is not part of it." He brought her hand to his mouth and brushed his lips across the back of it.

"As I recall, you were always trying to kill my little girl and even kidnapped her for almost a month."

He went to release Kagome's hand and she captured it right back, giving him strength to bear his soul. If he didn't he would loose the love of his life because of her mother. "The attempts to kill her were when I was still constantly trying to get Tetsusaiga from Inuyasha. I desired that fang more than my Tenseiga because I had yet to learn the lesson of my blade. I also didn't see any wisdom in my father's decision of giving the Tetsusaiga to a Hanyou while giving his full Youkai son a sword like the Tenseiga. Kagome was his companion and at the time I really didn't have much of a heart so she was part and parcel to what I delivered upon my brother. When Tenseiga's lesson started to seep in and I befriended a heartbroken angel it was only a matter of time before she owned my heart and soul."

"What was Tenseiga's lesson?"

"Compassion," he relied. "Compassion and mercy are not common among Youkai Lords, but my father felt I needed to learn those feelings. I also had to learn to love again after loosing my mother. Tenseiga helped do that because it brought Rin into my life. Her presence in turn made my heart melt enough to look upon a forlorn goddess and want to understand her pain. Together Rin and Kagome taught me to love again."

"Who's Rin?"

"Rin was my adoptive human daughter. Her village was killed by wolf demons, as was she." He glanced briefly at Kouga; it was still a sore spot between them. "I revived her using Tenseiga. She became a ray of sunshine in my rather dark life for over seventy years before she finally died a great grandmother. Her decedents that do not fear me have often ended up being my friends and associates over the centuries."

"Why do you keep calling Kagome heartbroken and forlorn?"

Sesshoumaru looked into her moist eyes and silently asked Kagome who should tell the story. He understood and continued. "When I kidnapped your daughter she was very sad. She'd just seen Inuyasha and Kikyou together and decided to go home. When she was going to the well a cat youkai attacked her. I killed it before it got a real chance for a second attack." He remembered how fascinated he was by her that night. "When I looked at her aura I was very curious and intrigued by what I saw. I asked her what I was seeing and of course she didn't know and couldn't answer. I took her to my castle to study her emotions, to find out what the beautiful color in her soul meant.

"After only about a week's time, Kagome seemed to be at peace. Then I saw the most beautiful thing in the entire world. I saw her smile, a smile without pain or sadness. I saw a completely happy smile and when I looked at her aura it was almost entirely that same color that pulled me in the night I took her away from Inuyasha. I asked her my question and she answered it; she told me the emotion that could not be drowned by grief, fear, or a false feeling of betrayal was love.

"I was amazed by her strength and I think I was falling in love even back then. She was the first person to ever call me friend and I loved having her in my home. I've never told anyone, although Rin knew, but the day Inuyasha took Kagome back with him to hunt the shards I cried the first tear I'd cried since my mother died." The table was silent for a moment. "I want to know the love Kagome realized that day in my garden 465 years ago, I want to be part of her life."

Without thinking Shippo said the one thing that was on everyone's mind to some extent, "How can you want a human mate when you hated the fact that Inuyasha was a Hanyou?" Shippo quickly covered his mouth with a hand.

Sesshoumaru looked at Shippo *he's only concerned for his mother* and said, "I love Kagome and any children from our union will be loved no matter that they are Hanyou. I've learned over the centuries that I didn't hate Inuyasha for being Hanyou. I hated his human mother for breaking apart my parents and inadvertently causing my mother's death. In fact I have discovered that I loved my brother after a fashion. That was why no matter how close I ever came to killing him I never did and why I think he could never kill me either."

The table was stunned. Itami thought about what he said and still wondered if a demon could be trusted with her innocent daughter. This was no Inuyasha who hesitated around Kagome; this was a dangerous adult male youkai who could do unspeakable things to her daughter. She was about to say no when a voice squeaked up from the foot of the table, "I think Sesshoumaru-sama is telling the truth. I think he really does love her and has learned compassion."

"Why do you say that?" asked Itami.

"Because he saved me from being gang raped the other night and has offered me sanctuary and protection from an abusive home." She hung her head, in shame and fear. Before anyone could act, Kagome was beside her and hugging her gently. Itami saw then something she'd never truly seen before. She saw her daughter, the grown woman with a mother's strong loving instincts to protect children. She also saw the strength of her daughter's soul and love. She suddenly knew she could trust her baby girl's judgment.

"Sesshoumaru, Kagome, you have my blessings for this union if it is what you both truly want," Itami said to them. The love in their eyes was all the confirmation she needed.

"Thank you for giving me the chance to explain, Itami-sama," Sesshoumaru said as he bowed to her.

After comforting Rinoa, Kagome returned to her seat and dinner commenced. Through out the meal they mostly spoke of their past together. They talked about adventures and absent friends. As the final desert was brought in, and everyone but Souta and Rinoa were given wine, Kagome raised her glass. "I would like to propose a toast." The others raised their glasses, waiting. "I propose it in honor of absent friends and loved ones, those who have gone on before us and have yet to return. This is for Inuyasha, Kikyou, Kaede, Miroku, Rin and Sango and all the others we have known throughout our lives. May happiness find them wherever they may be."

"Here, here," everyone said in reply.

"With a toast like that I think I'm finally getting an idea of how you were able to make your wish on the Shikon. Your heart is so big, but it was still an unexpected thing." Kouga said and was rewarded by Kagome's blush and nods of agreement.

"What was you wish on the Shikon, darling?" asked Itami startling the youkai and Hojo.

"You never told your family?" asked Shippo.

"No," she looked down and felt a tender claw pat her hand. "It's always been too painful to talk about, but now, with new love," she looked at Sesshoumaru, "I think I can tell the story without the pain."

"So who gets to tell the story?" asked Kouga earning him a smack on the back of his head from Ayame.

"Kagome does, it is her tale to tell, not ours," replied Sesshoumaru. He gave her small delicate hand a soft squeeze. She smiled at him; the sadness was still lurking in her eyes, and nodded.

"To understand my wish you have to know what came before the final fight with Naraku. First you need to understand that I found peace while I stayed with Sesshoumaru, both when he kidnapped me and when I went to visit a couple months later. The peace was an understanding of my own heart and how I loved. I knew I loved Inuyasha and I always would, but I came to realize I loved him enough to only desire his happiness no matter what I may have felt. I wanted him to be as content as I was at Sesshoumaru's palace.

"The night Sesshoumaru joined our party against Naraku was also the night Inuyasha told me he loved me. He also told me he still loved Kikyou and when it was all over he would go with her to hell. He asked me to forgive him for not being the man I needed and deserved."

"And of course you forgave the mutt," Kouga said with an odd affection in his voice.

Kagome huffed a laugh and continued, "Yes I forgave him. I would have forgiven him anything. I asked him if going to hell with her was what he truly wanted and he told me it was his obligation. I understood he would not be happy, but it was his desire to appease Kikyou soul. I promised him that when it was all over I would let him go with Kikyou. I just never agreed that she would take him to hell." The other's who knew the wish smirked at Kagome's craftiness.

"Later after Sesshoumaru, Jakken, and Rin joined up with us, we encountered Kikyou. She had a black impure purifying arrow pointed at Inuyasha and said it was time to go to hell. Sesshoumaru disarmed her before she even saw him move. Inuyasha screamed, "Don't kill her!" Sesshoumaru looked to me and I told him, "No, don't kill her." I hated and pitied her. I wanted her dead but I had promised Inuyasha.

"When Sesshoumaru let her go Inuyasha and I went over by her. I spoke first and said, `Kikyou, please don't try to kill Inuyasha again. We are on out way to destroy Naraku and avenge you death.' She just glared at me and spat, `do you think that will matter?' Her attitude made me sigh and want to strangle her." She shook her head at the memory.

The others laughed at the image of Kagome strangling Kikyou. "Instead I said, `Kikyou help us kill Naraku and when this is over Inuyasha is yours.' She looked at us suspiciously and kind of snarled as she said, `Why should I believe you?' Inuyasha finally spoke and said, `because I already told her I chose you and asked Kagome to let it happen. I will go to hell with you Kikyou after Naraku is dead.' While she was pondering his words I said, `So long as you don't try to kill Inuyasha before Naraku is dead, I give you my word, one incarnation to the other, that I will allow Inuyasha to leave this world with you when this is over.' She agreed and traveled with us the last four days before we faced Naraku.

"While we traveled Kikyou and I spoke quiet a bit in preparation. We had worked out a shield to use to protect Shippo and Rin. When we got to the final battle we set up the barrier and Sesshoumaru ordered Jakken to protect them on penalty of death if he failed. Naraku of course knew we were coming and had hundreds of minor youkai and his bees to make Miroku-san's air void useless. Aside from the hordes he had Kagura, Kanna, and Two new detachments we'd not seen before. Kikyou and I stayed near the children to begin, both taking pot shots at the various detachments. While we did that Sango and Miroku fought the hordes of minor demons, Ayame and Kouga fought the two new detachments and Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha fought Kagura, Kanna and Naraku. After a short time Kikyou shattered Kanna's mirror with an arrow and I pierced her heart moments later with an arrow.

"Naraku and Kagura fought Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha and because of his numerous tentacles they were faltering slightly. In the midst of this I noticed that Kagura seemed almost reluctant to fight and that there was a threat between Naraku and her. That's when I saw a small pink sphere in his hand which he squeezed each time he gave an order. I aimed at the wrist because I felt a need to set her free." She sighed slightly. "I don't know why I did it only that freeing the wind from him was important. I released an arrow and watched it pass through the barrier and pierce straight through the wrist causing him to drop the pink ball. Kagura let off her attack and jumped to retrieve the ball before fleeing the fight quite rapidly. Naraku was calling threats after her; I think momentarily forgetting the two dangerous individuals fighting him.

"With Kagura gone from the fight Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha began to sort of work together to fight him. Inuyasha would use his new shield braking version of the wound of the wind and Sesshoumaru would attack seconds later as Naraku restored his barrier. Inuyasha was only able to break the shield every third hit maybe and the tentacles were taking their toll on the brothers. Sango and Miroku had taken enough wounds that they retreated behind the Children's barrier around the time Ayame and Kouga finished off the other two detachments. Their retreat meant that Kouga and Ayame had to fight the minor demons that were left. The tide looked like it was against us.

"I was down to one arrow as was Kikyou and a silent signal passed between us. I took aim and Naraku. He had about two thirds of the complete Shikon no Tama and was drawing its power to strengthen his shield and himself. I'm not sure how I was able to do it but I looked within him until I could see Onigumo. Then I aimed for that inner core and let my power flow over the tip and shaft until it glowed. I willed the arrow with all my heart to send Onigumo and Naraku to whatever hell or purgatory they had earned in life. Naraku smiled at me and if I hadn't already known Kikyou had her arrow pointed at my back his smile would have terrified me."

"Kikyou was going to shoot you!?" asked Itami.

"Yes and no mom." There was an odd humor in her tone that none could quite place. "She and I had come to a decision concerning our attack on Naraku. We agreed that the best way to kill him was to combine our power. Unfortunately because she was undead the best way to do that was to transfer her power into me and let it combine with mine inside my heart. The only way to transfer the power directly to my heart was for her to shoot the energy into it. Naraku only saw the determined look that was on her face and the arrow aimed at my back. That of course led him to believe she'd betrayed us."

"I think we all thought that at the time Kagome-mamma." Shippo said quietly.

Kagome gave him a soft smile and nod before continuing, "I focused all my will and trusted Kikyou with all my heart at that moment because if I hadn't her arrow would have killed me. I felt her release it. There was no sound no signal, I just knew when it left her bow. I felt it impact my back, right between the shoulder blades at a level with my heart. The energy was a burning pain that seemed to sear through my flesh. The pain was almost agonizingly unbearable as it filled my heart and sawed through it. As I felt it leave my chest and join my own power I released my arrow." She paused for air and a sip of wine. Her eyes were glittering with the memories as a hand absently touched her heart in remembered pain.

"The two arrows joined together spinning around each other as they flew to their target. Hers was a dark purplish black lightning, think force lightning from the dark side." She smirked. "And my arrow was a soft pale silvery orchid, like a violet in a spring frost just being kissed with dawn's light. They spun around each other like two snakes entwined in battle and a bright white light burned in the space between them. The power arrows passed through his shield as if it weren't even there and stunned shock crossed his features as it struck him." She laughed a little with sadistic mirth, "That was the first and the last time I ever had the pleasure of hearing Naraku scream in agony and fear." Her family and friends looked at her as if seeing her for the first time in their life disbelieving the sadistic tone in her voice.

"I watched as the chain around his neck snapped. I held up my hand as the Shikon Shard around his neck fell and it flew into my grip without even hitting the ground. Naraku was weakened and vulnerable. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha killed him seconds later. While they were delivering the final blows I held Naraku's piece in one hand and watched it turn light pink. Then I brought the two pieces together as Naraku died. I actually felt his darkness fade from existence as the Shikon became whole in my closed hands. I mourned at that moment for Sango because I knew the complete Shikon meant the Kohaku, her brother was dead.

"I was suddenly surrounded by warmth and pink light. All I could see was light; the battle was gone from my sight. I heard two distinct voices. One was a strong feminine voice and the other sounded more like an angry chorus speaking in concert. They said, "What is your wish mistress?" For one moment I couldn't really think and tried to look beyond the pink around me. My vision cleared and I could see my friends finishing off the last minor demons. Kikyou was now in front of me standing next to Inuyasha. His head was bowed in submission to her will and she wrapped her arms around him," Kagome didn't pause for the silent tears on her cheeks. "The ground under them started to open beneath them and seemed to want to swallow them.

"They both looked so desperately sad and hurt. There was no happiness no peace with them. Looking at them prepared to go to hell I remembered my promise. I promised Inuyasha would be hers I just never said it would be in Hell. I knew my wish and I said aloud for the spirits of the jewel and all the world to hear. I said, `I wish for Kikyou,' which caused her to raise her face angrily toward me, `and Inuyasha,' he too turned sad almost betrayed eyes toward me, `to be together in heaven as they never were allowed to be on earth. I wish for their happiness.'

"I looked at them as my wish dawned in their eyes, comprehending my words. I heard the voices say, `As you wish.' Kikyou's eyes started to change, to warm as she looked at me while the ground closed under their feet. Inuyasha was looking at me with such disbelief and love that my heart broke to see his eyes. He mouthed some words as they were engulfed in a golden light. I notice Tetsusaiga vanished from his hand as they were slowly drawn upward. Kikyou mouthed to me `thank you' and I head her voice inside my mind and heart." She didn't stop the tears which were not quite choking her voice. Sesshoumaru had a comforting hand on hers. "Heaven accepted them and as they faded from sight I felt the Tetsusaiga in my hand. I looked over the battle field and could feel the start of tears as I watched my friends begin to fade in pink light. I was surrounded by the soft pink light and I again heard the female voice. She said, "Thank you Kagome-san. Now I am finally free of the pain." The next think I knew lightening was flashing above me and I was back in my courtyard still holding Tetsusaiga and the jewel."

Kagome stopped talking and held her napkin to her face to wipe away her tears. Everyone sat there thinking over the retelling of the ending to an epic tale. Some remembered that final battle and wondered at the strength she had possessed back then and still did. Those who had never heard the story processed the information in awe and reverence. Her friends from so long ago also remembered the pain they had felt when it was believed she was dead. They had all known she wished and it was never guessed at what the jewel would do to the wisher. They had assumed the worst and now they were all very glad they had been wrong. Finally Itami broke the silence, "That was the sweetest most selfless wish any one could have ever made." Itami then pulled her teary eyed daughter into a warm loving hug. Everyone made sounds or nodded in agreement. No one else it the room thought they would have ever been able to make such a loving wish.

Sesshoumaru led everyone into the library after Kagome excused herself to rinse her face. On the way Sesshoumaru thought *Inuyasha himself bequeathed the Tetsusaiga to Kagome. That would explain why she hadn't mentioned it before. It's the connection she still has to him. It's her connection to her first love.* Thinking about Inuyasha still having a dear place in her heart didn't cause the jealousy he expected and he was pleased by that. He had servants bring drinks for everyone and they sat around an empty fire place and talked more. Eventually Kagome brought up the question about Youkai in the modern world and all demonic eyes turned to Shippo because it was known that he was the best story teller among them. Though secretly everyone was thinking Kagome was better after listening to her retell the last days with Inuyasha.

"About three hundred years ago there was what is called the Miko War. There were two lovely twin sisters born who had miko power to rival Midoriko herself. They were born with a purpose that had been fore seen since Midoriko's time. They were born to break Youkai hold over humanity and remove the threat that was youkai. They began their war against demons of all types and disposition when they were fifteen. Before the first year of their war they had decimated many a minor animal demon tribe that had been terrorizing nearby villages. Because of their sheer power the great Youkai lords and many tribal leaders gathered together to discuss the threat they posed.

"Sesshoumaru, Kouga, Ayame, Souten and I were the youkai who encouraged speaking with the miko twins and trying to work for a peaceful resolution. The other Cardinal Lords agreed with us as did a half dozen or so other tribal leaders. Sesshoumaru, Sezaru, Kaneka, and Naseru guarded my back as I went to meet with them. It was decided that since I was the least threatening of all the youkai who wanted peace I would speak with them. After a great deal of haggling with them over terms we were able to get a resolution with them.

"In the end all the Youkai who wanted to live and be left out of the war signed a blood oath which basically said that we would no longer have humans be our playthings as they had been for centuries. Youkai would stop the violent subjugation of humanity. It was also declared that the lords and princes would be responsible for policing their fellow youkai. The not messing with humanity extended to keeping our existence secret even if it meant killing the offending youkai. The leaders who weren't interested in peace prepared for war with them.

"The two continued to exterminate Youkai who did not sign the treaty. They were on their way to cleansing Japan when the Youkai army finally met up with them. After nearly two weeks of fighting nonstop one sister was mortally wounded. They did something together under a miko shield that even the strongest youkai couldn't break. The battlefield lit up in an array of colors more spectacular than the northern lights for any with the sight to see. As it lit the entire night sky as bright as day every Youkai and miko in Japan felt something pass through them. Any youkai who were not bound to the Treaty were dead as of morning. Every miko in Japan seemed to instinctually know that the youkai who were left really were not a threat to humanity.

"Since that time Youkai have often created business and political empires. The political empires are often in the hands of humans they control. Some humans still die at Youkai hands, but on average those aren't the most pleasant people to begin with. There are also a lot of human families who have a history spreading back a couple hundred years to a single Youkai ancestor who still watches over his family. Some of the strongest psychics, priests, and monks come from those families. In order to help hide in plain sight the other Kitsune and I have come up with a number of spells and products for Hanyous and Youkai."

Hojo, Kagome and her family absorbed the unwritten history lesson and Kagome asked, "So about how many demons are left in this day and age?"

Sesshoumaru answered, "Maybe a thirtieth of the number of purebred youkai as had lived before the Miko War. Double or triple the number for the number who may possess youkai blood within the last four generations of their family. That includes the five great families and the extended relations therein as well as maybe eight or ten minor tribes."

They continued to talk until about midnight when Kouga and Ayame decided it was time to leave. Shippo, Souten, and Kagome's family agreed it was time to be going home. Hojo was also ready to head home. Sesshoumaru asked Hojo to leave last and after her family pulled away asked her to stay longer. Hojo went on home ahead of her, driven by Tomaru who would let him know Kagome would be home the next day.

Kagome turned to Sesshoumaru as the Rolls left the drive, taking Hojo home. "I love you Fluffy-chan." She said it simply and wrapped her arms around his neck. He buried his face in her neck as he scooped her into his arms bridal style.

He began to carry her into the mansion. He nuzzled her cheek, nibbling under her ear as he said, "And I love you my sweet."

"Where are we going?" she asked as he glided to the stairs and stepped up.

"To my suite, why don't you want to be in my arms all night?" he asked her as he stopped on the sixth step.

She turned brilliant red. "I want to be with you, but I'm not ready for ………" Her blush became even brighter.

He chuckled and felt her relax as he nuzzled her cheek again. "I won't ever ask anything you're not ready for. I just want to hold you close as we sleep something I've dreamed about for quite some time." He continued up the stairs as she rewarded his words with a tender loving smile. He gracefully came to a door and opened it. He walked in.

The double doors opened to a huge suite of rooms. The far wall was taken up by two huge full length windows which led out to balconies. To the left was another door next to an entertainment center flush to the wall. In front of the entertainment center was a long soft sofa surrounded by cushions. To her right was a table low to the ground with traditional mats for sitting. Past that in the wall to the right was another set of double doors with fancy brass work. Against the right wall near one of the windows was a mahogany desk with the latest computer system on the market. Plush emerald green carpeting completed the room. He carried her through the double doors to the bedroom beyond.

The bedroom was a throw back to Sengoku Jidai(the warring states period). The floor was hardwood covered in woven rugs that could have been hand crafted over four hundred years ago. This room had shelves lining the wall with the door completely filled with books. Against the wall to the right was a familiar looking wardrobe darkened with age but very well kept. In the middle of the room with one edge against the far wall from the door was a huge futon, soft and thick. It was covered in cushions and pillows and had a pile of blankets at the foot. There was an antique trunk next to the futon with a Tiffany lamp from the turn of the century still with its beautiful stained glass shade intact. Beyond that the wall to their left was again a huge window leading to a balcony.

"You always did love balconies," she said quietly as he set her on her feet. She looked around, really looking at her elegant surroundings. She then looked into smiling golden eyes and said, "As always you surround yourself with truly magnificent aesthetic beauty and tradition."

"Yes I do." He said as he kissed her passionately. "I had my servants purchase some clothing for you so when you stayed over you'd have cloths to wear to bed and the next day. It's in the wardrobe."

"Is that the same wardrobe that used to be in your palace's guest room?"

"Yes it is. There are a number of `antique' pieces of furniture that I had moved from my old palace to this new estate. I actually had some of the brick work from the palace worked into this mansion so that it holds the old wards better."

She smiled, "I'd like to take a shower before bed. I have quite a bit of nervous sweat from dealing with the Youkai lords and my mother earlier."

He hugged her, Your scent is intoxicating, but if you feel the need for a shower tonight then go back through the sitting room to the other door and that is the bathing room." He kissed her lightly and released her.

Kagome walked over to the wardrobe and ran her hand sensuously along its smooth wood. She remembered the feel of this wood and realized she had missed its natural beauty. She opened it up and chose a light blue nightgown of soft cotton with lace at the bosom and hemline. The brand new lace underwear was her size, which didn't surprise her. The fact that they were lace made her blush. She then walked past him with a smile and headed to the bathroom.

She opened the door and stared. The bathroom was huge. It was the bigger than her bedroom at the apartment. Inside was the typical two sink marble sink top with cabinet underneath and a western style toilet. There was also a full western style bathtub shower combination. That was the first half. The second half was a huge whirlpool tub with a stocked wine cabinet built into the side. Against the wall facing the whirlpool was an entertainment center with a big screen TV, DVD player, and Stereo System. It was as good a set up as what was in the sitting room.

Sesshoumaru had come up behind her while she was stunned by the vagrant display of his wealth. He wrapped his arms around her sweet little waist while she simply stared. "Perhaps I can join you in a whirlpool instead of you showering alone." He whispered seductively into her ear as he lightly kissed her neck.

"Is this payback for earlier?" She had just a hint of mock anger in her voice.

"Whatever do you mean?" he asked with feigned innocence as he nibbled her neck.

"For tackling you in front of everyone earlier," she stated fighting the delightful shivers running down her spine.

"Quite," he stated as he turned her to kiss her passionately.

She gently pushed him away as the kiss ended, "Bad puppy." The smile in her eyes drew a quiet growl from him as she pushed him out the door. "Go wait in the bedroom. I'll be done shortly."

He reluctantly left and she closed the door behind him. She showered quickly and smiled that he had two brand new bottles of the shampoo and conditioner she used. She dried and dressed in her new underwear and the nightgown. She blushed at herself in the full length mirror on the door because of the sheerness of the nightgown. She came out and walked to the double doors of the bedroom and stopped entranced with the sight before her. Sesshoumaru was lounging on the futon wearing only a pair of dark blue boxers. As she stood spellbound be desire, love and simple aesthetic beauty he got up and walked over to her. He swooped in and stole a breathless kiss from her rosy lips.

She blushed again and he chuckled quietly, kindly. "So shy and lovely, come to bed my love." She turned even redder and seemed frozen in place. He scooped her up bridal style for the second time that night reveling in her light weight in his arms. He carried her to the futon. Her hands grazed his bare chest as he walked. She was so uncertain and aroused that she had trouble focusing and breathing. "Don't choke Kagome-chan, I need you breathing."

"I can't help it, you're gorgeous," she whispered breathlessly.

He smiled and gracefully descended to the futon with her still in his arms. As he set her down and lay beside her he said, "So are you." Then he kissed her. The kiss was sweet and passionate. His tongue sought entrance and she let him in. Soon they were battling for who got to taste the other's sweetness more.

Sesshoumaru held her tenderly as they kissed. He ran his hands over her back and neck. He reveled in Kagome's soft touch on his back and her hand in his hair. He broke the kiss to give her air and growled lightly in pleasure as he kissed her jaw and throat. Her soft moans of pleasure caused him to crave her more. He pulled back to look down into love filled glistening uncertain eyes; her scent was so full of arousal he had difficulty speaking. "We need to stop now, or it may go further than you're ready for." *And I promised I would never ask for more than you're ready for. I would never hurt you that way.*

Kagome nodded and gently kissed him. "Thank you my love. We should go to sleep because I will not be a tease when I'm not ready. I won't hurt you that way. I love you too much Fluffy-chan."

He smiled at how sweetly innocent yet knowledgeable she was and how caring she was. He snuggled her and then pulled a blanket over them. He leaned over her body, loving the feel of her taunt nipples through the sheer nightgown. He turned off the Tiffany lamp. Wrapped in darkness and love they snuggled to one another. *I waited over four hundred years for you. I'm not about to loose you to stupid mistakes now.* Sesshoumaru fell asleep covered by the scent that had haunted his dreams for so long that as sleep took him he wondered if he was dreaming yet again.

___________________________________________________________

As I said long chapter……………………. </ p>

I hope everyone enjoyed this and I'm sorry to disappoint that this was not the lemon, that will be chapter 13………

(Yeah 13, Nearside rules!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're wondering what RPG I'm blabbing about check out Hammerdog games. Can You Count To 13?)

The next three chapters will kind of be posted together when I get them done because I want anyone who doesn't like lemons to be able to skip the citrus and not loose any plot. Basically chapter 12 will end right before the fun starts, 13 will be the fun, and 14 will start out with a pg13 (there's that dang 13 again, what's a nearsider to do?) sort of summery before continuing on with the story.

I love reading your reviews and I'd like to thank you all for being so supportive.

Shadow-mai

The Almighty

CX-chan

Ponchita

Silver dragoness

Akira Kino Arai

Kagome-sama0560

Disturbed demon gurl

Anime Otaku

Corrupted-mind

Mistress Fluffy

Jadedragon

ChibiTenshi

Lady Psyche

FoxFire8605

Silver Phoenix

Hinoke

Silverchild

Angelie

Nefra

Trina

My Name Is Spoken

DarkFire

Chibi child of the cosmos

Xanthos

LadySilverDragon

Dbzfan

Lily1121

Beth200000

Rymsie

Yellow eyes

Lord Sesshoumaru

Single and happy about it-(by the way you are very correct about most guys, I'm in the process of getting a divorce)

Kinyta

Deora ar mo chroi

Kaimi

GoldenEyes