InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Just Another Stormy Night ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on March 5, 2012 for drabble #20 Tempest.


Title: Just Another Stormy Night

Author: ananova

Word Count: 500

Prompt: Tempest

Genre: Friendship/Romance

Rating: K

Warnings: None

Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome

Summary: A storm rages outside, making it impossible for Kagome to sleep.


------------------------------------


A shiver ran down Kagome's spine as the wind howled outside of the dilapidated hut they had taken shelter in. The rain drummed against the roof, flashes of lightning periodically illuminating the hut through various cracks as thunder crashed in the not too far distance. It was a major tempest that had been brewing all day. They really were lucky to stumble across this meager shelter when they did.

Trying to distract herself from the storm raging outside, Kagome turned her attention to her companions. Unlike herself they had all been able to sleep through the storm. She smiled at the sight of Shippou curled up with Kirara near the fire, then shook her head in exasperation and amusement as she noticed that Miroku had somehow crept closer to Sango as they slept. A brief smile touched her lips as she contemplated the taijiya's reaction to the houshi's close proximity upon awakening.

The smile was wiped off of her face as another shiver wracked her form as another howling gust of wind entered the hut through the various holes and cracks in the walls. She knew that there would be no rest for her this night.

Suddenly the cold was replaced with warmth as a heavy fabric was draped across her shoulders. Kagome raised startled eyes to meet Inuyasha's worried gaze. How had he awakened and moved without her noticing?

“Baka. You should have said something. Don't need you getting sick from this weather. You're not dressed for it.” He indicated her school uniform, which definitely wasn't intended to protect against the tempest raging outside.

Despite his gruff words Kagome smiled, easily detecting the worry in his tone. “Thank you,” she said quietly as the warmth of his haori seeped into her body. No longer freezing, the sleep that had eluded her all night was creeping up on her and her eyes began to droop.

“Keh, get some sleep.” Inuyasha gently patted her on the shoulder before moving to resume his position against the wall. A hand shot out, grasping his and stopping his movement. He turned to face Kagome's sleepy gaze.

“Stay?” she asked, eyes pleading.

He sighed before moving once more. He saw the disappointment fill her eyes as he again moved away, then confusion as instead of returning to his position by the door he settled against the wall not far from where she lay. Reaching out, he tugged her toward him so that she lay against the wall beside him, head pillowed on his leg. He flushed at the look of pure happiness that filled her face before she finally drifted off to sleep.

Hesitantly Inuyasha reached out, brushing the hair back from her face. Outside the tempest raged but as he breathed in Kagome's soothing scent and listened to her heartbeat, he found that the tempest his in heart was silent for once. Hand falling to grasp Kagome's where it lay on his leg, he followed her into a restful slumber.



Converting /tmp/phpD8eogn to /dev/stdout