InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Family ( Chapter 45 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Unsung Heroes on June 27, 2012 for Prompt #68 Stand-In and won 1st place.

Title: Family
Author: ananova
Prompt: Stand-In
Word count: 221
POV: Shippou
Universe: Canon
Warnings: None
Summary: Shippou muses on relationships, past and present.

-----------------

Shippou sighed as he snuggled deeper into Kagome's arms. He didn't remember his mother, he had been too young when she died. For as long as he could remember, it had been just him and his Pa. Then the Thunder Brothers had come. He shivered as he remembered Manten taking his father's pelt. He had been so afraid, so alone for the first time in his life.

“Shippou-chan? What's wrong?”

He smiled at the girl, the concern in her voice chasing the old memories and fear away. “Nothing.” He didn't remember his mother but Kagome made a good stand-in, acting just the way he always imagined a mother would.

Green eyes glanced over to the red-clad figure walking at her side. Now if only Inuyasha would get his act together. Then everything would be perfect.

The hanyou must have felt his gaze for he glanced over at him before raising a dark eyebrow and snorting. “Quit babying the brat, wench. He's got to learn to stand on his own.” His words brought to mind an image of his father teaching him a new trick, readying him for things to come.

“Inuyasha,” Kagome said, a note of warning in her tone.

Shippou smiled as the two began to bicker. Yup, it was just like having a family again.