InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ It's Never Too Late ❯ Chapter 17: Memory Lane part 1 ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I am so sorry for taking forever to update. I've been busy lately so…
This chapter was originally longer than this but I needed to cut it somewhere. I'll post the next chapter tomorrow.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. It is rightfully owned by Rumiko Takahashi.
 
Chapter 17: Memory Lane Part one
 
“So tell me, was he sorry then”
 
I still can't believe I let that creep get to me! I know that Inuyasha did those things so why does the pain seem so fresh? I am blinded by my thoughts and tears that I'm not paying attention to where I'm going. I nearly ran over a child but I stop myself in time. I quickly apologize and help the child up. Then I continue to run, still trying to figure out what to do next. Naraku knows where I am. It will only be a matter of time before he comes after me again. Inuyasha…he might be looking for me too…but I won't let him find me. I can't face him. I'm not ready. I…”
 
There's something up ahead. I recognize it instantly. I pick up the pace and keep running. Arms were wide open to receive me and I wanted to be received. I didn't stop running until I reach the place wear I had released many of my emotions in the past. Now, that I'm here I can …” The tears flooding my cheeks speak for themselves. I wrap my arms around the Sacred Tree and sob uncontrollably.
 
“Hey Miss, are you okay?” A male voice asks me while I continue to sob.
That voice, I think, I know that voice.
I turn around to see who is behind me. It is a boy with short black hair with deep brown eyes. Those eyes reflect his concern for me. He's probably in his late teens. He sees me and runs over to me quickly.
 
“Kagome, is that really you?” I know he's worried. My face is worn out and my eyes are red from crying.
 
“Yes, it's really me… Souta.” I can feel his arms embrace me in a tight hug. I
 
“Thank goodness you're safe. A lot has happened and-”
Why don't you tell me everything when we're inside?” I say cutting him off. It has been some time since I had seen Souta and I really missed him. But I need to have some time to think things over. Besides, all that running is starting to take a toll on my body.
 
Inside the house…
 
“I can't believe you're back. I thought that I would never see again, Sis. As I was saying before, a lot of things happened. The company hasn't been doing as well as it used to because of the scandals and…”
 
“Scandals? What scandals?” I have some knowledge of some of the scandals but I wanted to know more. Souta doesn't tell me. He probably thinks that I am not in the condition to hear more bad news.
 
“Oh and sis, Inuyasha came here two days ago. That wasn't the first time though. He thinks we're hiding you from him but that wasn't true. We didn't even know where you were but if we did we would tell him. He's done enough.”
 
 
Souta's face hardened with resolve. It's quite sad since he used to idolize Inu…”
 
“Kagome… is that you?”
 
My mother comes in the room; her eyes are full of tears when she sees me. She wastes no time coming near me. When she reaches me, she hugs me and cries at the same time.
 
“I though something bad had happened to you. I haven't seen you for a year. Why didn't you contact us?”
 
She pulls back to examine my face, searching and waiting for my answers. When I don't reply, she simply wipes away leftover tears and smiles wearily.
 
“It's okay, honey. You don't have to tell me now but please tell me what you want. I'll make anything. Just tell me.”
 
“Mom,” I reply, “You don't have to-”
 
“Kagome, please let me do this” she looks at me for a response. I give her a weary smile and she perks up a bit
 
“How about oden? You still like it, right? If not I could make something else and-”
 
Oden will be fine, Mom but now I think I need some time to be alone. You know, to think things over.”
 
“I understand, dear.”
 
I go quickly up the stairs but I pause and face my mothers.
 
“Um... Mom, Souta.”
 
They look up at me with intensive looks.
 
“Thanks.”
 
They both smile at me and I continue to go upstairs.
 
 
I soon reach my old room and open the door. Once inside, I lock the door and go straight to my bed. I throw myself on the bed and I soon as I do, tears start to run down my cheeks again. I lay there on my bed crying and feeing sorry for myself. After a while, I decide to reflect on the past. Before Naraku had his thugs kidnap me, I was thinking about the time I was first rescued by Mr. Yamoto, my father-in-law. Ironically, he was rescuing me from Naraku. That would not be the first dark encounter that I would have with Naraku but I do not want to dwell on that now. The next memory I recollect was waking up next to my father-in-law in the jeep. He mostly kept his eyes on the road but he occasionally looked at me. That car was complete silent. I thought the silence was unbearable but I didn't do anything. Looking out the window would not have helped since there was nothing but darkness and shadows to be seen. I must have started to wonder about others things like, Will I ever go home? Or will I'll ever see that Naraku again? Thinking of Naraku popped the image of Hojou's unconscious body still lying in the alley. I didn't know whether he was alive or dead.
 
“Good, I lost them.”
 
My father-in-law's words shook me out my thoughts.
 
“What?”
 
“I haven't taken you home yet? Didn't you wonder why?” he momentarily studied me before concentrating on the road.
 
Maybe I did wonder but my mind was on other things.
 
“We were being followed.”
 
I was surprised. I instantly looked behind my seat at the back window. I didn't see anything.
 
“They're gone.”
 
Who would follow us?” I asked even though I had an idea who it was.
 
“Oh I think you know. I knew that bastard would something like this,” stated Mr.Yamoto as he continued to drive. “Don't worry about it, Kagome. You've had enough for one night.”
I couldn't help but worry. I was starting to think that maybe I wasn't ready to go home. Hopefully, I thought, Inuyasha had already made the ramen and that he was already in bed. That was the only way I would have been able to enjoy what was left of that night.
 
 
My father-in-law soon pulled up in front of the house. I sat in my seat for a few moments before slowly getting out of the car.
 
“Thank You, Mr. Yamoto.”
 
“Call me Inutaisho. You're a Yamoto now."
 
I forced myself to smile at his comment but somehow I felt that he had seen right through me. However, he didn't say anything. Instead he silently examined me for a while before saying good bye. Soon he drove off, leaving me to stand and watch. I was also left with to deal with whatever had occurred while I was out. After taking a deep breath, I walked up to the door and opened it with the key.
 
The first thing that hit me was smoke. I couldn't believe it! Why was I seeing smoke? What on earth happened in this house? Those were the questions that raced in my mind as I rushed towards the kitchen. And when I saw that kitchen, I wanted to faint. Smoke was everywhere and the place was messy. I looked and saw some maids huddled in the corner, crying. I quickly ordered them to clear the mess. The mess would not be cleaned from tears. After the maids started to clean, I stormed out of the place to find my next target.
 
I knew caused this chaos…and boy was he going to get it!
 
 
 
That is the end of chapter 17. Chapter 18 is in the works. The ramen burning thing is based on …experience. It was not as bad as Inuyasha's blunder though. Speaking of Inuyasha, he will come in sometime in the future but before that I have to do a few things. Thanks for reading my story, I hope to hear from you all. Anyways, I'll have to go over the notes I made for the next chapter.
 
 
Later Days!