InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Letters... ❯ Letter Five: Disaster Solutions ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Not mine, I make no money of this story. The characters are only being used for my amusement
************
Letter Five – Disaster Solutions
“Dad we’re done,” the young child of the house didn’t even bother to knock on the door to her father’s study. Most people knew not to disturb the master of the house, and when it couldn’t be helped; then you knocked. Rin was the one exception.
“I’ll be there shortly,” The stoic man replied while he read something on his desk and kept his eyes averted down.
“Kay,” Rin said with a smile as she shut the door and hurried downstairs to the dining room.
Meanwhile Kagome was setting the last set of silverware on the table for tonight’s dinner. Rin was to sit on the left of the table’s head, where her father would be sitting Kagome would be sitting on the right as a guest of Rin’s.
“Are you finished Kagome?”
“Yep, how does it look?” The woman turned as she heard the door open to see the girl standing in the doorway, a small smile on her face.
“It looks… great,” The child hesitated before moving closer from the door frame to the table. She smothered a giggle behind her hand, which didn’t go unnoticed by the black haired woman present.
“What?” she asked while raising an eyebrow.
These forks have to exchange places,” The young girl said as she switched the dessert and salad fork and then turned back to face the woman with a smile.
“I guess I’ll have to study etiquette, so you don’t pick up bad habits from me,” Kagome mumbled mainly to herself as she went and fixed the rest of the forks so Sesshomaru wouldn’t think she was teaching Rin bad habits.
“Oh, I’ll help you with the basics. We can do it tomorrow. I have to review soon anyway,” Rin was ecstatic about the idea of play a teacher role instead of that of a student.
“Rin sit,” a baritone voice spoke from behind.
The child sat obediently at the position she and Kagome had fixed on the left side of the table. Kagome hurried to her spot and sat down across from Rin. Sesshomaru sat down last commencing the meal. The woman wasn’t sure how things would proceed with the ice block there – his nickname she had subconsciously given him–so she waited until said slab of ice handed her the salad bowl which Rin had given to him.
“Thanks,” she spoke softly while taking the bowl. She didn’t receive an answer, not that she was expecting one.
Dinner continued with little communication between Kagome and Sesshomaru. Rin chatted happily away filling the silence. The child didn’t like that the two adults weren’t talking to each other. It left her to do the one thing any matchmaker would do. Get the man to take some interest in the woman. Start the conversation.
“Dad did you know that Kagome is good at languages too. Just like you. She told me she was taking a course at school to help her understand the many languages around the world. In fact, she’s helping me with my English and French,” Rin paused to look from her father and, hopefully, her mother-to-be.
Kagome was blushing; her head was lowered as an attempt to hide the color of her face. She had no idea that Rin would speak of her so openly. She wasn’t use to such acts. Probably another of the traits the rich never considered. After all they normally brag about what they have as a way to show they are better than the rest right?
“What do you plan to do with a degree in languages?” the figure at the head of the table asked as he looked to the woman sitting beside him.
Gold met blue when Kagome looked up to answer. “Actually, it’s more like a degree in cultural literature. I will be continuing my last year of study, looking at old literature. It’s good for a few careers but the more fascinating ones are: teaching, translator, anything with history such as archaeology. I haven’t decided yet but I did do a business course so I could always open my own business eventually. Or even travel around the world. Perhaps combine the two concepts,” under the table the woman absentmindedly played with her fingers. She hated not having confidence. It made her mad that one man could do this to her it reminded her too much of her past. Too much of him.
Sesshomaru didn’t say anymore. Rin wrinkled her nose with frustration. It was infuriating that these two were so stubborn and ruining her plans. However, they did talk, very little but it was something.
“Kagome I want to help you with the dishes,” the girl offered a few moments after the conversation ended.
“That’s okay. You should get ready for bed and do something fun,” the woman declined as she shook her head.
“But…”
“Rin it isn’t your job to help. I’m okay doing this on my own. Besides I’m use to it,” Kagome remarked not explaining that she had to do the housework at her own home before she left to live on her own.
“Kagome please,” Rin begged while giving her famous puppy-dog eyes.
The woman shook her head refusing once more.
“Both of you may go upstairs. I will have someone else take care of these chores,” Sesshomaru had watched the affair with surprise. The woman held up surprisingly well compared to others when it came to his daughter, who listened to no one other than him and Kaede.
The silver hair man’s voice suggested you do exactly as you were told without arguing. Rin was determined to do as her father told her. She rose from her table when Kagome just stared. The woman was not one who took being ordered around. She also hated being treated better off thea others when it came to her job. Although she had to admit that even to her the clock in and clock out time were confusing.
“I won’t be treated special. It is my job to tidy up afterwards and that’s my intentions Mr. Taisho,” Kagome stated respectively, but with a slight edge to her voice.
“It was my understanding that you were a guest here tonight. I have no intentions of treating you differently when you are on duty. For now, you will excuse yourself to spend the rest of the evening doing something of your choosing. Whether that involves my daughter or not is completely up to you,” Sesshomaru said as he stared at the woman standing beside him. Kagome opened her mouth to speak, and he raised an eyebrow at the stubborn woman.
“But…” Kagome could not finish as she looked down at the ground; there was that lack of confidence again
“Perhaps Rin, you could show Ms. Higurashi to the areas within the library containing the books she needed. Now if you’ll excuse me; I’ll be in my study should something come up,” he stood and exited the room swiftly, leaving no room for discussion.
Kagome questioned insider her head what had just happened while Rin smirked before tugging at the woman’s hand. Her pulling became harder until the body attached to the appendage followed the child out of the room.
“What books do you need Kagome?” Rin asked over her shoulder as they headed towards the library.
“Uh?” the woman came from her thoughts, “Oh, I have a list in my bag. I can get them later though. Let’s do something you want to do Rin.”
“You promised to show me what you are learning remember?” the girl said with a slight whine.

“So I did and I never break my promises,” the woman replied slowly as she gave the girl a small smile.
“Let’s go!” Rin said happily as she took off in a run while pulling the woman along with her.
The two girls retrieved the book list and entered the library. The woman was led by the child where Rin showed her the many children’s books she owned. They looked from the shelves to the list to pick out the ten titles and then added ones that Rin wanted Kagome to read to her as well.
“Let’s go back to my room,” the young girl said overjoyed once Kagome had gathered all her books in a pile. She helped the woman carry the pile of books through the halls. Meanwhile she chatted away about anything and everything and Kagome nodded now and again.
“Rin why are you so interested in helping me?” the woman inquired.
“I don’t know. You aided me once so consider ourselves even,” the child’s smile was hidden behind the woman’s back.
The room they entered was a more like a chamber fit for a princess. It was made entirely out of material. Silk hung from the ceiling in intriguing patterns from a centre piece leading out to the crown moulding meeting the walls. More of the silk cloth draped over the canopy bed and matching the blankets, sheets and pillows covering the mattress. In one corner there was an area of just pillows once again following the colour scheme of the room. The furniture was the only thing that was not matching in colour. The desk located next to the pillowed corner, the nightstand on the right of the bed, and the two comfy chairs against the wall in front of the child’s bed were all cream. The door to her closet was closed and next to an open door leading to her own bathroom.
“Your room is gorgeous Rin,” Kagome said as she looked around the room in awe.
“Thank-you, but it wasn’t my idea. My mom and dad picked it out,” she replied slowly.
“Oh well, it’s still nice,” the woman had a feeling she shouldn’t press the issue of her mother. There was a story to be told but it didn’t feel like the right time yet.
“Lets get into our pyjamas before we read,” Rin ran to her closet and Kagome left to go change in the room she was assigned to.
For a little less than an hour Kagome read to Rin until the time the child had to go to bed.
“Can we brush our teeth together?” the child begged pouting her lip as she looked up at the woman.
“Sure why not,” the older of the two gave into the child’s wish.
After preparing for bed the woman hugged the little girl and left her room. According to Rin her father would be up shortly to wish her good night and tuck her in as he usually did.
He arrived a few minutes before his daughter’s bedtime expecting his child to beg for more time before she had to go to sleep. He was surprised to find the child was sitting up in her bed waiting for him.
“Did you brush your teeth?” he asked as he walked over to her.
“Yep, with Kagome,” she nodded while answering.
Sesshomaru sat at the edge of her bed and pulled the covers to her chin, “Goodnight,” he kissed her lightly on the cheek.
“Goodnight daddy,” Rin returned the kiss, closed her eyes, snuggled deeper into the pillow below her head and surrounding her upper body.
The man waited a few seconds before leaving the room and closing the door part way. His eyes flickered to the open door just past the room he had exited. He made his way to the room Rin had given the nanny. Inside the woman was towering over a binder of paper scribbling away with three or four books open on the surface of the desk. He left her alone and continued to make his way back down to his study.
He hoped his daughter would not make it a habit to invite the woman over. Though he was glad Rin enjoyed the nanny’s company, the child wasn’t suppose to want to be around her nanny this often.
¤¤¤¤¤¤
Ka gome finished her last two comparisons before looking back at the clock. It was nearly one, meaning she would have to be up in four hours. There was a noise behind her and the woman whipped around to see Sesshomaru, opening her door wider to stand in her doorway.
“It’s getting late. Shouldn’t you be asleep?” Sesshomaru said, but it almost sounded like he was telling her to go to sleep.
“I have a lot of work to do. I’m use to keeping late nights and strange hours anyway,” she smiled sincerely and turned back to gather her papers.
“You have to be up early tomorrow.”
“I know,” she tried to keep her voice even but she really wanted to snap at the man who would even think he could tell her what to do. “I’m heading to bed now,” she closed her binder and turned around again. “I – want to thank you for letting me use your books. It’s a big help.”
“Hn,” Sesshomaru pivoted on his feet and departed the room.
¤¤¤¤¤¤
Ka gome had always had issues sleeping. If she couldn’t sleep then she had to occupy her mind until she got tired. Reading was one past time that worked well, when the book was not too interesting though. Unfortunately she had forgotten any of her reading utensils at home. So she lay on her bed tossing and turning for a good half hour.
With time ticking closer to the time when she needed to be awake and alert, she groaned in frustration. The woman moved off the bed to grope for her bag in the dark room. Locating it she felt within the pockets until she found the small bottle she was looking for.
“Of course it had to be tonight,” she growled to herself. With the pill bottle in her hand she opened the bedroom door and snuck out of the room. Usually she had a glass of water placed on her nightstand. Staying over at a foreign house had thrown her off her schedule a little.
The layout of the house was easy to figure out now that she had been working here for a while. It had only taken a few minutes to find her way to the kitchen. The woman located a small glass and filled it with water. She placed the cup on the counter and was happy she didn’t have a chance to open the prescription bottle. The noise behind her startled the woman causing the bottle to slip from her hand and roll across the floor to the man in the entranceway.
“May I inquire as to the reason you are still up?” he bent to pick up the container of pills to read the label, without waiting for an answer from the still shocked woman in front of him.
Take one before bed as needed.
“Um… I have issues falling asleep sometimes. Its nerves, new places, stress, things like that,” she explained quickly. “But it won’t affect my job. Occurrences are only on occasion,” she quickly added. “They only help relax the body so I can fall asleep naturally.”
“Indeed,” the bottle was placed on the counter beside her glass. “Next time, try a walk,” he left the room.
“Right,” she mumbled putting the information away for a later time.
¤¤¤¤¤¤
Th e next morning, unknown to the house guest, Kagome was the first up. She showered in the linked bathroom before continuing her other morning routines.
Rin was ‘programmed’ to go to an educational film after breakfast. This meant that she was going to have to wear something appropriate and a little dressier then she typically wore. The woman objected to the idea of the little girl always being referred to as ‘the child’ and the actions for the day sounding like a robot.
When Sesshomaru had awakened, he could hear the shower running as he passed the guest room. He was patiently waiting for her in the kitchen to assess her after having so little sleep the night before. Ten minutes later the coffee was made, the newspaper was fetched, and he still waited. A few more minutes passed before she made her appearance in the kitchen at exactly 5:30.
“Good morning,” he acknowledged her greeting by offering her coffee with a gesture of his head. He was amazed the woman seemed very attentive after her rough night. “No thanks, I don’t care for that stuff,” he watched as she wrinkled her nose as an expression of disgust. It was a very childish action yet suited the woman.
Sesshomaru took out his wallet to pull out the credit card he had received from her the night he returned home. “Here this card is your copy. Notify me immediately if you lose it. Receipts can be given to my assistant or Kaede if I am not available. Any questionable purchases come out of your pocket. Understood?” he placed the card on the table and slid it in the direction Kagome was standing.
“Crystal clear,” she replied taking the card. She went to put the item in her purse that was in the other room.
Kagome arrived back in the kitchen only to find it empty. Instead of worrying about it, she went back to her room to begin her other assignments. Rin wasn’t due to wake up for a while and the child was right next door so the nanny vowed to be able to hear the girl when she did wake.
A little after an hour later Kagome heard Rin’s alarm go off. The woman packed her things away and then headed down to the kitchen yet again. A short time later the ever-energetic Rin appeared, bouncing up and down.
“Calm down Rin,” the woman spoke in a low steady voice to get through to the child. The nanny had already placed a bowl and milk on the counter. “What cereal would you like today?”
“Lucky Charms,” the child wasn’t jumping as high.
“Go sit down.” Kagome pointed to the chair as she went to get the child’s cereal.
The child nodded as she ran to the breakfast table taking the exact seat her father had earlier sat in. When the bowl was placed in front of her she turned her head to look up at Kagome.
“Thank you,” Rin said with a sweet smile.
“You’re welcome.”
The woman began to make her own breakfast.
¤¤¤¤¤¤
At nine they left the house for their fifteen minute car ride to the small theatre.
“We’re here!” the child pushed the car door open and dragged her nanny out of the vehicle.
“You have ten minutes till the film begins. Let’s get some drinks and find good seats,” Kagome offered.
“Our seats are reserved. We’re sitting in the middle of the last row,” Rin replied casually still hopping around.
Kagome sighed, “You’re more wound up than usual.”
The little girl stopped with concern sketched into her face. “Is that a bad thing?”
The woman looked at the child and chuckled, “No not at all. I was just wondering how you do it. I have yet to see a day you aren’t hyper. I’d hate to see you on a sugar high.”
Rin held in her sigh of relief. She worried the woman would leave if she was annoyed. “No candy. I don’t like it much. I rather have ice cream.”
“Then I’ll take you for ice cream some time,” the thought reminded her of the first time she met Rin.
It was the day that began it all. Many times she wandered, briefly, if Rin had anything to do with it all. Of course she banished such ideas. After all Rin was a child. A little girl.
A smart little girl. Kagome reminded herself. But nevertheless a child.
“Come on then let’s go get drinks,” there were still many things she was getting use to when it came to the ways of rich family.
¤¤¤¤¤¤
Th e movie went well. Shockingly the child settled down the second she sat down and didn’t utter a word throughout the movie. They were now in the bathroom for Rin had apparently held everything in fearing she would miss something important.
The historical film proved to be more interesting then the woman had anticipated. Like all good things, it came to an end and the two girls were escorted to the long car that would take them to their lunch date.
“Come on Kagome!”
“We should wait here Rin,” the woman remained in front of the open door of the car. In front of them was the large building that Sesshomaru worked at.
“We have and he’s not coming so we have to go get him!”
“We’re not disobeying the rules that were set,” Kagome said to the child with crossed arms. Kaede made it clear that no one was to bother Sesshomaru when he was working.
“We’re not. It’s his lunch break,” Rin said simply with a smile.
“That may be so, but he could be busy. Or in a meeting.”
The woman would have rather waited for Sesshomaru to show up on his own so she wouldn’t get in trouble for bothering him at work.
“You’re right. Let’s go find out!” the child flew through the front doors and the nanny was left with no choice but to follow.
¤¤¤¤¤¤
&# 8220;Sir, there’s a simple solution to your problem,” the assistant stated.They had been arguing for the past half hour about the same thing.
“Really please lets here your bright idea Dom. Do hurry I have an appointment.”
“Just take the first woman who walks through your office doors,” the man suggested.
Sesshomaru wanted to laugh but refrained from doing so and choose to point out his assistance’s mistake. “You realize that only you enter through those doors daily. We could be waiting for days before woman steps foot into my office.”
“Hm, but say a woman did walk through those doors then you would take her?”
“If it gets you off my back, then yes. But no one dares to bug me, and by that time the event with my daughter and her nanny will be past,” he was wasting time here when he should on his way downstairs.
“Dad!” Rin ran through the doors of his office zipping past Dom around the desk and onto her father’s lap.
“Wow, so close,” Dom replied referring to his idea from before. “If only she weren’t your daughter and she was older,” he half laughed but the look his Sesshomaru’s eyes told him ‘don’t even dare.’
Of course they both had forgotten that if Rin was here then her escort of a nanny, also known as a woman, would be here too. It was about this time that she walked through the doors.
“Rin?” the woman looked into the office. “Oh,” she looked from Dom to Sesshomaru and then to the little girl. “Rin I told you he would be busy.”
“Dad, you promised to meet us and you didn’t. I thought you were having lunch with us,” her father didn’t turn to her.
“I was on my way down,” Sesshomaru replied. “I’m sorry to keep you waiting Ms. Higurashi,” he added to the woman.
“I’m sorry about all this,” Kagome spoke out. “We’ll go back downstairs until you’re ready. Come on Rin.”
“No, not at all, Ms. Higurashi please join us,” Dom looked to the woman with a troublesome smirk on his face. She didn’t like the man at all. “What are you doing Saturday afternoon?”
“I have classes on the weekends,” she answered slowly. Something was up and she didn’t think she was going to like it.
“Interesting. You’re now going to this,” the man placed a slip of paper in the shape of a star in her hand.
She looked at the front quickly, which had letters written in fine script in gold.
Diamond Charity Ball
“I’m sorry but I can’t miss my classes,” she replied as she shook her head and tried to hand the invitation back. Dom wouldn’t take it though.
“I will take care of those for you and Mr. Taisho will assist you in buying the right clothing,” he countered, leaving the room.
“What?” she looked to her boss for an answer.
“Lunch first,” was all he said.
***********
Ja neAngelic Memories2009