InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Letters... ❯ Letter Six: Becoming a Princess ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
My thanks to Angel Racer who is helping me improve this story after the long long wait… I am only just rewriting this due to the major depression I received after learning that I could not save a single chapter of the nearly completed story.
So without any further ado I present to you this newly finished story…
********************************************************** **********************
Disclaimer: These characters are not mine I am merely using them for this plot line which I make no money in creating.
************************************************************* *******************
Letter Six: Becoming a Princess
The restaurant was rather causal but Kagome noticed that it was expensive. She was grateful that she had chosen to wear her green spaghetti strap dress, which a little dressy looking with the waves in the material that flowed loosely over her form and to the top of her knees. But she wasn’t looking around the elegant dining room she was looking at the prices on the menu. Abruptly the menu was pulled from her hands.
“Don’t concern yourself with price, I’ll be paying,” Sesshomaru warned.
“But...” she couldn’t get over the sheer expense of one plate of food.
“What’s your favourite type of meat Kagome?” Rin asked casually.
“Chicken,” the woman answered honestly not hesitating to answer the child, even though she was suppose to be making a point to the male sitting across from her.
“Then have the same thing I’m having,” the child offered.
Acknowledging defeat the woman nodded and Sesshomaru placed the order. Lunch continued smoothly in silence minus a few questions on Rin’s part. Sesshomaru had the driver drop the girls off home first and as Kagome got out of the car she was stopped.
“Ms. Higurashi, I will speak to you about the matter at hand when I return tonight if you don’t mind. Meet me in my study,” the silver-haired male spoke casually.
“Of course Mr. Taisho,” she replied with a slight nod of her head before the driver pulled away.
As the day dragged on the woman found herself contemplating more and more about the situation she was placed in. She didn’t think she would be the best choice to go to such a formal event. Yet she also couldn’t help but want to go. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity as far as she was concern. However, school was her number one priority and she hated missing class. She sighed watching the water boiling for an afternoon tea.
Rin was in her room relishing in the fact fortune dropped from the sky and praised the job that she had been doing by placing this perfect opportunity into her hands. If all worked well than Kagome would be her father’s date for the ball and perhaps seeing the beautiful lady outside of a work environment would make her father desire the woman. A little push would be all that they needed to ensure that neither of them would decline the offer set before them by the hands of fate. Her father would arrive home in a little over an hour and that would be when her plan would be placed in motion.
¤¤¤¤¤¤

“Please sit Ms. Higurashi,” her boss commanded.
He currently was standing behind the desk of his study.
“Daddy you’re home!” a child cried rushing through the door.
With a hop, skip and a jump the young girl placed herself before her father and wrap her arms around his very long legs in a tight hug.
“Rin,” he had a gentle way of speaking with her but his voice was stern, “there are things I must speak to Ms. Higurashi about.”
The smirk on her face was hidden from view but she quickly brushed it away and replaced it with an innocent smile before looking up.
“About what?”
“Nothing that concerns you, run along,” he patted the top of her glossy black hair and then pointed to the door.
“Are you making Kagome into a princess for a night daddy?” Kagome’s breath caught in her throat at the question. “I think she’d be a very beautiful princess like in a story.”
The girl didn’t even wait for a response. She skipped out of the room; closing the door in a way that she knew it wouldn’t seal shut. Sure enough as she looked over her shoulder the door remained open just a crack. After she had skipped a fair distance, to make it seem to her father that she had left, she tipped toe back to the door to listen after planting her seed, waiting to listen how it had grown.
“Ms. Higurashi,” Sesshomaru started, “I find myself in a difficult position.”
“Uh please don’t think much into this. You don’t have to take me to... this thing simply because of what Rin said,” Kagome replied nervously her fingers twitching in her lap, “I won’t mind at all.”
The man before her took a sit behind his desk. He was silent for a moment as if pondering. Kagome waited patiently to see what he would say.
“The thing is Rin’s words wouldn’t change the fact that I do need someone to attend this ball with me,” he finally cut the silence with his deep voice, “The theme of the event requires it of me and so I wish for you to accept the invitation Ms. Higurashi and allow me to escort you for the evening.”
Near the door the small child was grinning from ear to ear.
“What? But I’ve never been to one of these things... surely you can ask a girlfriend...”
“I have no use for girlfriends,” he uttered the word with disgust.
“Mr. Taisho ... I am really grateful to be asked but you’re... my boss,” she pointed out.
“Yes I understand that this isn’t what you signed up for. Yet seeing that there are no feelings behind the evening I can’t think of why it would make the work environment uncomfortable. But if you wish I will pay you for the night.”
“How can you suggest something like that?” her voice was a hiss, “It makes me sound like a whore.”
“I wasn’t suggesting...”
Kagome put up her hand for him to stop and calmed herself with a deep breath: “If I went I wouldn’t need you to pay me,” she explained, “But my classes... I’ve never missed a day and there’s this test that evening.”
“I can arrange for the headmaster to ask the professor to reschedule it for you. I know him quiet well.”
Sapphire eyes glittered for a moment.
“Well... I suppose I could,” she whispered.
“Very well, I will have a catalogue of evening gowns sent to your house by tomorrow night. Write the number and details down and bring them the following morning so I can order for you. Include any accessories that you might need minus the jewellery,” he dismissed her.
¤¤¤¤¤¤

One dainty tongue licked a fingertip before pressing it to the top most corner of a page and flipping to the next dress. Just when she thought she had found one dress she liked she would turn the page and there would be another studding evening gown more gorgeous than the previous. Her mind kept wondering back though to one particular dress a few pages back. The elegant material of each dress was costly, she knew that much, but her book was completely priceless. Sesshomaru must not have wanted her to look at the prices when she chose her dress her mind piped up as she reached the last page of that particular section.
It was growing late and her eyes were tired from studying, watching Rin, and looking for the past hour over the book in front of her. A pad of paper and a pen was to her right. With her mind made up she flipped back and looked at the gown she had settled on at last. She wrote down the order number and then came the annoying part. She hoped her boss was happy, as she scribbled waist and cup size underneath as was dictated in the bottom margin. A few minutes later the page also contained a shoe number and size.
With nothing else to do and her body begging for sleep she placed the book and pad of paper on the floor by her bed where she was sitting and curled up under the covers. It didn’t take long for her to drift off to sleep.
The next morning there was a knock on her door. She looked to the clock. Quarter to five, she still had fifteen minutes to sleep before she had to get ready for work. Grudgingly, she swung her feet over the edge and pulled on a robe to cover the boy boxers and tank top she had went to bed in. Upon unlocking both the chain lock and bolt her apartment door swung open to reveal Sesshomaru.
“Mr. Taisho?”
“I am required at work a little earlier than usual,” he held out a hand.
At first she didn’t understand the meaning behind the gesture but her mind clicked: “Oh.. uh...”Kagome turned and fled to her room.
The blankets had tumbled to the ground in her rush to get out of bed so she had to pick them up and toss them to the side to uncover the sheet that Sesshomaru was looking for. With it in hand she returned to the kitchen, where the main door was located. It was only when the male’s eyes swept down her form that she realized she had forgotten to tie the fuzzy coat around her closed. Blushing she wrapped material around her and handed the paper her boss. With a nod he accepted it and turned to leave.
“By the way, a driver will pick you up. Consider it compensation for waking you before need be, feel free to sleep longer,” he left and shut the door behind him leaving a very confused woman.
“Couldn’t you have waited until tonight?” she pondered aloud but shrugged her shoulders and began her morning.
¤¤¤¤¤¤

The next few days flew by quickly. Sesshomaru had arranged for her professor to meet her at the mansion during Rin’s schooling hours to take the test she would miss. The child had been overjoyed when she had found out. In no time at all the day of the ball had arrived. She hadn’t really been able to sleep in and she thanked each Kami that she didn’t really mind mornings. Her boss had asked her to come to the mansion to prepare that way she could use his maids as assistance in getting ready. There was a slight debate on if she had enough time for a shower.
Fifteen minutes later she was combing through her wet tangled locks before the bathroom mirror wrapped in a towel. The phone rang in the living room and she went to fetch it.
“Hello?” she winced when the brush hit the sensitive hairs at the back of her neck but it didn’t show in her voice.
“I’m sending someone to get you,” the voice in the phone crawled through the phone sending shivers down her spine.
“Ah... I can get there on my own,” she fought for her independence.
“No it’s faster this way,” and the line went dead.
Grumbling the woman hung up and rushed to her room to finish preparing. She was just tucking a foot into a shoe when the buzzer went off. It reminded her that Sesshomaru had gotten into the apartment building without being accepted. The thought didn’t scare her but she wondered how he had managed. Perhaps she could ask later today.
“I’ll be right down,” she pressed the button to relay her message and grabbed her keys as she headed out the door.
The usual male who escorted her and Rin around for the past few weeks waited for her. He nodded a greeting and opened the back door for her.
“Good Morning Jacob,” she greeted.
He smiled and shut the door after she had settled in the seat. The man rarely talked at all. At first she thought he couldn’t but every once and a while he would say something. Kagome had then questioned if it was because Sesshomaru had sworn him into silence. But later she deducted that he was just a quiet person. He only spoke when he needed to and other than that he would remain silent or give some non-verbal reply.
“Sorry about this,” she mumbled, “I could have gotten there on my own.”
Jacob shrugged quickly brushing the concern away.
“Thanks though,” she added.
“You’re welcome,” he quietly replied.
The rest of the drive was silent.
¤¤¤¤¤¤

He growled waiting for the damn infuriating woman. There had been a reason for him to send the driver to fetch her. He had hoped that in getting her here earlier she would be ready sooner and he would not suffer from the: woman take entirely too long to get ready routine. It would seem that this wasn’t the case as he glanced to his watch for the second time in the last minute. Just about to send for a maid to inquire what was holding things up the woman appeared at the top of the stairs.
Silently he remarked he was glad he didn’t look upon the page to see what she had chosen to wear for the event. A flat image of some tooth pick thin model didn’t do the dress as much justice as what was set before his eyes. Drifting over her form he noted that it was modest, more so than most of the women that flung themselves at him, yet the material’s dips and curves were appealing creating a glowing air of sophistication around the woman. Light blue mixed with a rainbow of blues when the light hit it just so making one ponder what the true colour of the dress was. The neck curved in a slight dip at the cleavage, not showing anymore than necessary and held up with two thin straps of material on each shoulder, accenting the appendages just so. Her pale white skin didn’t tan, or so it seemed, even after many hours under the sun with his daughter, so there were no tan marks marring her in different shades. Tightening around the breast and waist the material fell loosely to her feet trailing slightly in the back and showing off the tip of her open toe shoe in the front. Her back open exposed by the criss-cross pattern with a couple of strings. Sapphire eyes glittered covered with a glittering dust rather than a heavy coat of eye shadow. Her lips were glossed over with a light natural colour, the shine adding articulating the plump luscious appendages. Overall it was a simple, yet elegant look that would set her apart from any other woman that afternoon.
“Is it okay?” she asked a little concern when he said nothing and silently stared over her form.
“Hn,” he offered an arm to his escort.
“Uh... what am I expected to do?” she asked taking the arm quickly so not to keep him waiting.
The male lead her out of the door to the long limo waiting for them outside. Assisting her to get in he said nothing until he was seated comfortably. He pointed to a box sitting between them, the one Kagome avoided sitting on.
“Open it,” he ordered.
Curiously the woman slid off the lid and peered inside. If the thing didn’t look so expensive she was certain she would have dropped the box in shock.
“Uh... I can’t wear this,” her voice bit out nervously.
“You must,” he argued.’
“But I... I’ll lead others to thinking that I am more than what I really am.”
“If you don’t my social status will appear lower than it really is,” he retorted taking the pure silver chain from the box and dangled it in front of her to unclasp it.
Multiple blue diamonds were embedded in a pattern. The largest draped down from the main chain in a single strand to be positioned right about her cleavage. The rest of the smaller diamonds adorned around her neck, two small followed by one of medium size, and matching tear drop earrings. The colour matching her attire perfectly but her mind could only question the price. Blue diamond’s were rare and had to be imported. Plus the pure silver chain and looking at the label on the box meant one of the best jewellers in the city. She could very well be wearing thousands of dollars on her person.
“You’ve already done so much for me though,” holding her breath when the man leaned in.
“The jewellery worn by the woman will represent the amount which will be donated to the charity group chosen by the company employees. As president I must ensure that my donation exceeds that of my employees. You must wear this to guarantee this,” he wrapped the necklace around and secured it in place, “Do I need to put these on for you too?” he carried the earrings in his hands.
“No... I can do that,” she submitted to his will and held the earrings in her hands delicately.
“You need not worry about your etiquette; most women at these things are like common whores who know nothing of what is expected when it comes to higher class. With the small lessons that you’ve have with Rin you are far more qualified,” he added, “Just don’t speak out of term and never go against my word.”
“Yes, Mr. Taisho,” she murmured obediently, setting the final accessory in place.
“Hn,” one last thought drifted through his mind at her words, “I believe that the situation would dictate for less formality.”
“Excuse me?”
“You may call me Sesshomaru for the length of the event,” he replicated.
“Ah... okay,” her voice was quiet.
Her hands fell to her lap flashing colour as it went. Grasping one of the appendages he tugged it to still before his eyes. The slender nails were painted in a dark blue with tiny crescents in silver. The colours made him smirk briefly, hidden in the corner.
“Kaede’s idea,” she offered, “That’s what took so long.”
“Hn,” he sufficed and released her tender flesh.
Silence maintained through rest of the ride Kagome spent the journey looking out of the window. The afternoon would be held at a very extravagant palace out in the middle of nowhere according to Kaede. At first she had thought that Kaede was over exaggerating. Yet Sesshomaru was of wealth and she should imagine that he wouldn’t be one to be seen in anything less than what his position called for.
“Mr. Taisho?” she cut through the silence that had grown, not uncomfortable, but bored she needed to speak about something. “Sesshomaru,” she corrected when he gave her a warning glare, “Might I ask you something?”
“Hn,” he posed not drawing his gaze from the window where it had returned.
“Mr. Dom... he’s... why does he have more of a role in Rin’s life when it comes to decision making?” she wasn’t certain she would get a response but there had been so much the horrible man had done thus far compared to the man beside her.
“There are technicalities that he is better suited to seeing to rather than I,” he mumbled finally.
“What do you mean?” the gold eyes locked on with hers.
“He has a couple children of his own,” he growled not liking how the conversation was going.
“But Rin’s your daughter,” it was a casual point.
“Not biologically,” he hissed hating that he had let it slipped so easily off his cruel tongue.
“What? But...”
“That’s enough,” he kept a cool, level voice, only just hitting at the underlining warning, “Mr. Dom assisted my father and has been nothing but loyal. I will not have someone questioning the way which I run my company or my household.”
From the way he worded things he figured that it wasn’t the first time this was brought up.
“Sorry,” she whispered, uneasily playing with her fingers and turning away from the man.
“Are you having problems with him?” he inquired after a moment, after all why would she bring it up in the first place?
“No, not really...” she couldn’t lie though, “he’s just... a little creepy...” and she left it at that.
“Hn,” he reflected.
His assistant was much like him, cold, emotionless, and strict. The man proved to be useful in handling Rin’s day and trustworthy employees that would be around his daughter. Why should he care if the man made the nanny uncomfortable? So long as she did her job well, he wouldn’t have to meet with her too much anyway. Yet something, deep in his gut told him to take what the woman said in consideration. How did his daughter react to the male? There were certain times that the child would flinch away from his touch. Was this reason because she was uncomfortable with him? The act in the office earlier this week had proved him to step too far in trying to command his boss.
“What does Rin think?”
His voice startled the woman with its suddenness. Kagome soon realized that she wasn’t sure what he was looking for therefore causing her to retrieve where his thoughts had
“About?”
“Dom,” he uttered nearly silently.
“Ah... we avoid talking about him. But I don’t want to make a wrong assumption in saying that I don’t think she likes him too much either.”
The previous silence fell over the occupants of the car once more. Sesshomaru debated in his mind changing the superiority in the house giving the other male less power over certain matters.
“From now on you speak solely to Kaede. Any orders will come only from her or me.”
“Okay,” a nod accompanied the agreement.
“Good,” he looked past the line of trees out the window, “We’re nearly there.”
¤¤¤¤¤¤
Th e car pulled down a cobblestone driveway. The acres of land whizzed by the window drawing her eye to the vast landscape. Shrubs, flowers, trees, a fenced off area that resembled one of those medieval training grounds she had seen in movies, and a large pond off in the distance glistening in the afternoon sun. Sapphire orbs were drawn away from the luscious greenery to the beautiful white walls of a palace. The marble structure glittered in the daylight blinding her with its beauty as if her human eyes were not worthy to gaze upon the magnificence architecture.
The limo stopped before the main entrance dominated by two tall pillars. Sesshomaru, filled with impassive indifference, opened his door and offered her a hand. When she placed her timid limp in the massive yet slender extend appendage it was engulfed in warmth as he sealed her hand in a small embrace. Climbing out of the car as graceful as possible she soon found her arm intertwined with his as he escorted her to the detailed cherry wood doors. Sesshomaru didn’t have to pause in his ruling stride as the doors welcomed them, opening just as they neared. Two serving men dressed in identical black suits stood on each side of the long entrance hall. Their heads bowed to the two figures entering the domain.
Kagome was glad for the lead. Eyes couldn’t halt the wandering over details of the building. The pillars had carved images in the stone and she was sure they told a story. If given the chance she would have stopped to study each figure. Yet the firm hold on her arm reminded her why she was here and she wouldn’t do anything to make the man look bad. Looking further down the path they were following made her wonder if her boss had ever been here before. Kagome noted he didn’t hesitate at any turn. A short time later he carried her under an elaborate archway leading into a dome ballroom.
A few people were gathered in the centre of the room. By the sounds of things they were bickering over the placement of a table containing a silver fountain that spurred a deep red wine in many arches.
“Sesshomaru-sama,” one of the three women exclaimed as the first to note the new arrivals.
“What is going on?” he snapped.
“Dom thought the centre of the room would be best for this but…” one of the four men looked around the room to present the predicament.
Circular tables dressed in white cloth and crystal glass roses for centre pieces were scattered around the room avoiding the dance floor and leaving enough room for guest to mix and mingle. The fountain of wine would be more of an obstruction in the centre.
“Why don’t you put it near the front?”
Kagome pointed to the space that would be the speaking platform. The elevated floor acted as a eyesore since nothing stood near it.
“Sorry,” she mumbled when everyone stared at her. “But how many times is that going to be used?”
“Hn,” the silver hair male gave a short nod of acceptance and waved in approval.
“Uh… Mr. Taisho…” golden hues glared out of the corner of his eyes, “Sesshomaru,” she corrected slowly, “are you in charge of this event?”
“More or less,” he replied and Kagome was certain for some reason that his tone suggested a shrug-like-matter.
He watched the placement of the fountain then turned his back to the object of now disinterest. He led the woman to a doorway, wide open. It exited to a side garden flowering in the warm weather and decorated for the evening. Kagome held back her groan when she recognized one of the two males. Dom held on his arm a red eyed black hair slip of a woman. Vaguely she noted her boss stiffened but the small bit of curiosity slipped away as the dark eyes shifted over her form. They left her feeling vulnerable- a state she detested with a passion.
“Kagome,” the cold male purred, “How beautiful you turned out to be.”
“Thanks,” she kept her voice calm, sweet, and hiding her true emotions to shiver as he took her hand to kiss it lightly.
“Sesshomaru,” he added releasing the appendage, “Were the arrangements to your liking?”
“Kagome pointed out a few beneficial tips,” he remarked but dropped the subject immediately so the other male would not be able to argue, “Banerod, you and your wife are looking well,” Kagome couldn’t help but note the strange name and the pause in Sesshomaru voice before wife.
“As are you,” the tall, handsome male let the palest green eye locked with her ocean depths, “And who has captured our dear Sesshomaru’s attention?”
“Ah,” she looked up to Sesshomaru who didn’t seem pleased and returned to her attention back to the man, “Me? I’m no one special really.”
“Your name child would be just fine,” the woman next to him chirped.
“Kagome Higurashi,” she spouted.
“Kagome…” the woman rolled the name over her tongue and smirked, “Such an adorable name. I’m Azuela. How about we go for a walk before we are bored to death with their politics?”
“Sure,” she hesitated in her answer but when Sesshomaru made no move to object decided she’d like the offer.
The young woman was suddenly arm in arm with the strange brunette shorter than Kagome by a few centimetres. The brown eyes were speckled with flecks of gold. The wavy pale earth colour locks weaved in an elegant bun atop her head pinned with traditional hair pins with a few loose strands framing her pale face.
“So how do you know Sesshomaru?” she asked when they were a fair distance away.
The long paths of the garden were paved with small stones. Flowering bushes of many colours lined the walkways. Kagome was silent for a moment as she settled on the pace Azuela set.
“Uh, I… I work for him,” she explained.
Azuela brought her to a fountain, a large dog played under the flowing water raining over the large, white, fluffy, form. The two women sat at the edge of the stone holding the water.
“Secretary?”
“No… I… I’m Rin’s nanny,” she explained.
For some reason the younger woman liked the short female. Kagome enjoyed Azuela company even though they had just met.
“Oh dear,” she sighed, “Please understand Rin really is a sweet child. I don’t know why she gives all her nannies such a hard time but she…”
“Is quite adorable and I love her dearly, in fact I don’t have any issues with her at all. We get along just fine.”
“What? Really?” shock was evident in not only her voice but also her eyes and the laugh lines of face.
“Yeah, I love Rin dearly she’s such a sweetheart. If anything I’m afraid she will grow tired of me soon because we spend so much time together.”
Azuela was silent contemplating what she heard from the younger woman: “That’s really interesting. No one ever…”
“Gets along with her,” Kagome finished for her.
“Exactly.”
“Well I love kids, and I don’t think anyone realizes that kids need to be treated with respect just as much as an adult. Rin is a young girl and it’s possible no nanny she’s had has understood such philosophy.”
“My, my,” the other woman began her hands reaching for a blue flower blooming on a vine, “Such a smart child you are,” there was a slight giggle as the flower was tucked behind the woman’s ear. “I’m sure Sesshomaru is drawn to that.”
“What? No… no, no that… uh, there’s nothing going on between us,” she stumbled over her words trying to sound confident, “He’s just my boss and he told me there wasn’t anyone else he could ask to come with him. So there really isn’t anything going on.”
“I see,” she mumbled a little half-heartedly.
“Is something the matter?”
“Oh no of course not,” gazing over the grounds she stood up suddenly, “I should bring you back to him. I don’t know if you know this but Kagura was Rin’s nanny before you, she’s the one Dom brought tonight, and everyone knows that she wanted to sink her teeth and claws into Sesshomaru for his money. So do us a favour and keep him close by. Not that he likes her or anything but none of us what to see her weaselling her way into his pocket through whatever means she has come up with now.”
Kagome followed in silence. Already guest were gathering around the gardens. Sesshomaru and Banerod were no longer outside. The women proceeded inside where Kagome could immediately see her escort stand out due to his silver hair glistening in the candle light. The sun was setting and it seemed the theme meant dim light. Not that it wasn’t nice, but the lack of light on the flawless form brought out the contours of his face sending a twist in her gut.
“Sesshomaru-sama, I brought back your lovely lady for the evening,” the brunette proclaimed while handing over the woman much like a father would a bride.
With a smirk Azuela vanished to head off and find her husband leaving the miko behind to become eye candy for the men Sesshomaru was mingling with. An arm dangling down her side was tugged to intertwine with her boss and after excusing himself used the arm to guide her away from the small group. It seemed like Sesshomaru was escorting her to a specific table when they were interrupted. An older male stepped into their path, voice booming a greeting.
“Sesshomaru my boy,” his grey eyes and salt and pepper hair were the only indicators of old age. His pale, soft, face was free from wrinkles, “Long time no see.”
“Roi,” Sesshomaru greeted and tried to side step the male.
“Now what’s the rush? Are you trying to hide away this little gem from the rest of us?”
Kagome could almost swear she heard a rumble from the male next to her but she blamed it on the low murmurs of the room filled with many people speaking at once. That and ever since she had come to this place her skin had tingled in the strangest sensation. It wasn’t unusual per say but it was never constant like now. In her mind she tried to remember the last time it had happened but reminded herself to focus more on her current surroundings than that of the past.
“It rare for you to bring someone along with you even when it’s required of you,” he continued.
“Kagome this is Roi president of a partnering company,” Sesshomaru introduced.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” the woman gave a short respectable bow.
“Such disrespect,” Roi grumbled to tall male but gave the woman a soft smile, “A pleasure to meet you as well. Perhaps we will meet again I think my wife would enjoy your company.”
Having enough with the casual chit-chat Sesshomaru tugged the woman away and sat her down at a table near the centre of the room. Much to her surprise and delight Azuela was sitting next to the chair Sesshomaru had pulled out for her. Taking a seat she gave the man a polite thanks and waited for him to sit as well. It was obvious from his posture that he was raised in a regal household, not once did he let his guard down.
“Ah had enough already Sesshomaru,” Banerod broke the conversation with his wife at the arrival of the two new table occupants.
“Hn,” he picked a menu from the table and handed it to the woman, “Choose your meal.”
As it were the plates on the menu were foreign to her. Azuela was kind enough to make a couple of suggestions. After a few minutes one of the waitresses for the event took their table’s orders. She was grateful that the tables were meant for no more than four. She was certain the dinner would have been quite an ordeal if she had to deal with the presence of Dom and his date.
“Kagome, my lovely wife tells me you are getting along with Rin quite well,” Banerod carried on the conversation as a light salad was placed in front of them as an appetizer. “You seem to have a natural motherly ability,” he added.
“Um… I love kids,” she replied picking up the further fork slowly.
“You’ll make a great mother I’m sure,” Azuela grinned but stopped when she noticed the sparkle or sorrow in the young woman’s eyes.
“I’m not able to have children,” Kagome mumbled at first but lifted her expression to her usual cheeriness so no one would worry, “But I will probably adopt eventually.”
Kagome missed the discouraging expressions that sunk into Azuela and Banerod’s eyes. Both were excited to see Sesshomaru show some interest in a female and a pure hearted one at that. They now realized that Sesshomaru wouldn’t be keeping her though. Any woman that he chose to remain with would have to bare him a child to continue his line. Banerod only vaguely paid attention to the conversation his wife continue, he was far more interested in the male who narrowed his golden eyes at the woman. Most would think that he was disgusted or even angered but underlining the deep depths was concern. If he didn’t know better he would say that Sesshomaru was going to pursue the woman either way. Yet he was certain the pride of the male wouldn’t let him; and Sesshomaru had more pride than anyone he had ever met.
Just as the table was being cleared for the main course there was a loud bang. The heavy double doors to leading into the ballroom from the hall were closed and blocked by half a dozen figures in black. The garden was soon cut off to, the glass door sliding into place.
“Everyone stay calm,” a voice boomed, “and no one will get hurt. If you obey our commands than I’m certain we’ll all get through this just fine. We’re here for your jewels. Each female in this room will force to hand over their jewels and in return you shall receive a ransom. If your male companion is kind enough he will pay the ransom and we will return your treasures, if not you will be force to donate the jewels to our benefit.”
With that said the assumed masked leader walked over to the nearest table as did the rest of his ‘gang’ and they slowly began to ‘kidnap’ each necklace. The main course was served and midway through one of the black figures came to the table.
“Wait man, I got this one,” the leader interrupted. Vivid blue eyes locked onto her own sapphire depths, “Well what a treasure our president has caught this time. I’ll have to be careful not to steal you instead,” he murmured grasping her hand to kiss the back of her hand through the material covering his mouth.
“That’s enough,” a voice cut in. Before she knew it Sesshomaru was unclasping the necklace and handing it over to the mysterious male obediently, “You may leave,” he growled after the robber had tagged the necklace.
“Of course Sesshomaru-sama.”
He turned to Azuela to ‘steal’ her necklace as well and then continued on his merry way. Golden eyes followed him for a while before settling on the nervous woman next to him. Kagome picked at her food gracefully bringing it to her mouth in small bites.
“He sure went all out on this idea didn’t he,” Banerod commented to a silent Sesshomaru.
As dessert made their way around the robber leader returned to the table, this time with a silver domed tray. He lifted the lid for the woman to take the ‘ransom note’ and wink to her when she looked up to see the blue waves like the sea in the orbs behind the mask.
“Thanks,” she mumbled snatching away the note.
The robber offered the next note to Azuela and left them once more. Sesshomaru took the note from her hands and opened it. Kagome inhaled a violent gasp of air when she saw the amount of money written on the slip.
“Hn,” he crumpled the paper and tossed it to the table.
“F-f-four th-th-ousand… dollars?” she whispered in disbelief.
“The price of the piece cut in at least half,” Azuela added liking the shocked expression on the young woman’s face.
Sesshomaru never said a thing. As the evening completed he donated his money and the necklace was placed around her neck securely once more. The male in black had attempted to flirt with her as he returned the jewel but Sesshomaru declared it was time for them to leave. Within the confinements of the car silence fell over them. Kagome exhausted from her long afternoon and evening dosed near the window until sleep claimed her. In one rough turn her form was flung against Sesshomaru. His eyes darted over her form as if to say how dare she touch him. But the angelic features of her slumbering form caught him off guard. He manoeuvred the woman to sleep with his leg as a pillow. For the rest of the drive he watched her, the small little twitches in her sleep from her dreams, the relaxed unguarded features of her face, the soft pale moon kissed skin, the plump, rosy full lips …
He shook his head wondering what came over him. Mind shifted through thoughts and past events and he realized it had been some time since he had taken a woman to his bed. In every balance life one needed a release, and so he made note to find a worthy whore that he could use for a night and toss away. A part of him begged to take the woman in his lap but she was useful in other ways and he wouldn’t ruin her value by making her worthless. Any relationship between them would create and awkward situation and Rin loved the woman too much to toss her aside so causally. Otherwise she’d be perfect bed partner; he would never have to worry about her baring a child he didn’t want.
His annoyed sighed was followed by a growl of annoyance about where his mind had flowed. Yet he couldn’t avert his gaze and when they pulled into the driveway of his mansion he found himself picking her up instead of waking her and carrying her to the room she had stayed in previously.
***********
Ja neAngelic Memories© 2009