InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life isn't Perfect ❯ Engravings ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part 4
Engravings
"Half brother," Inuyasha corrected sourly.
"I thought you two were related some how, since your appearances are slightly similar," Kagome said ignoring the tone of the last comment. "But other than the hair, you guys are completely different." Even there last names are different. Dairi and Shoron. She added noticing that the 'half' brothers didn't get along to well.
"Thank you!" Inuyasha said throwing up his hand. After this he put them down realizing something. "How do you know that bastard?" he asked questionably, while looking from Kagome to Sesshoumaru. Before Kagome answered Inuyasha's question, she hit him upside the head. "OW!! What was that for bitch?!" Inuyasha yelled.
Kagome hit him on the head once again and answered his questions before he spoke stupidly again. "Your injuries are compliments to your foul language," Kagome said eyes closed and patience growing thin. "And I know Sesshoumaru because I am to be his chaperone for a couple of days. Speaking of which, since it's break, why don't I take this time to show you places other than the classes?" turning from an enraged Inuyasha to a smirking Sesshoumaru.
Kagome didn't even wait for an answer; she stormed down the hall with Sesshoumaru quickly catching up. "I have no idea why I ever dated him. I must have been deranged!" she said when Sesshoumaru caught up. When she saw that he looked a little puzzled and hurt she quickly added, "He and I dated for a half a year. It didn't work out well, so I had to dump him. But he still gets jealous when I'm talking to someone, opposite of my gender, even though he has his own girlfriend to worry about," she said sadly.
"Should there not be places, for you to show me?" he said, changing the subject successfully, and gained a happy smile. Such a radiant creature should not ever do anything but smile. (Obsessed much? I love how the people from the middle ages talked. ^_^)
"Your right. Through these doors is the Library," she said, stopping and pointing to a set of double doors on their right. (Kagome's on the left and Sesshoumaru are on the right.) "Well, you've already seen part of the gym. I'll show you the Cafeteria later. The only places left are the roof and garden. Hardly anyone goes on the roof except me so I'll show you the garden," she said with a happy smile leading the way.
#_#_#_# (If you remember from the show, the school is like, six stories tall. Kagome goes there when she wants to be alone and think. I have a swing for that. ^_^)
_________________________
When they reached the doors to the garden Kagome sped up a little to open the door for him. Sesshoumaru took it gratefully and walked in to find himself amazed. (Even though he didn't show it.) In garden there was a whole carpet of well kept grass with trees making a pathway. There were also Roses, Tulips, Daffodils, and Lilies with their colors making a perfect contrast between each other lining the trees. In the middle of the garden was a grand fountain, with an angle at the top, and benches next to that.
"What do you think?" Kagome asked, smiling eagerly now right in front of him just to make sure he didn't lie.
Sesshoumaru was back to reality and just looked on as if he was bored and the garden wasn't even worth his time. "It's all right," he said while looking into Kagome's eyes. Her smile just got wider. He then realized the eye/soul reading thing and looked away. This just made her smile even wider, if that was possible.
"Mine is better than this one, but at least I have some places for peace and quiet," she said, head down and looking away. "Well, we better start heading for class. We've got Health next and I don't want to miss it," she said the last part with some obvious sarcasm.
_________________________
They got to the room a few minutes early and sat down in the corner. Kagome sat next to the window while Sesshoumaru had an isle seat. The bell rang and the class started filing in. All the girls who walked in saw Sesshoumaru and started giggling and whispering to their friends. Then said things like, "He is so hot; I wonder what his name is; do you think he's got a girlfriend? And, We should get everyone together who likes him so that maybe he'll notice us."
Kagome just shook her head and said, "Looks like you got a fan club Sesshoumaru. Better watch out they can go a little too far some times." giving him a warning look.
"What do you mean by that?" he said acting as if he wasn't interested.
"I mean some come up to you and just won't back down till you except to go out with them," giving him a knowing look. "There is a guy at this school named Kouga and he, after three years, still thinks I'm his woman no matter how many times I tell him no. And this one guy, I don't want to even think about what he did," she said covering herself with her arms while shaking.
That bad huh? Oh well, I'll deal with it on my own time. I guess she won't be part of my club then. It's okay, as long as she is my friend. Whoa, when did I care if she is my friend or not?! I don't need anybody.
Class went on as Sesshoumaru was dictating in his mind if being close to Kagome was a good thing or bad thing. In class their teacher, Mrs. Herald, had them learn about how easily it is for some one to choke and die. (Isn't that the most fascinating thing in the world? ^_^)
In Biology, Mr. Leonard made them dissect a frog, which I can only say made it interesting. (I had to do that in the 7th grade, the made us take off its skin. Yuck!) It took all period and everyone in there could only think, 'There is no way I'll every eat frog legs!'
_________________________
It was time for lunch and many people had lost their appetite but went to the Cafeteria social thing anyway. This was the case with Kagome and Sesshoumaru. That and the fact that that was all that was left to show of the school.
They walked in and sat next to two females and two males. Two of them were already named, Inuyasha and Sango, while the others still needed to be introduced. One looked uncannily like Kagome.
Once they were settled in Kagome introduced everyone. "Sesshoumaru this is Kikyo and Kouga," she said pointing to both of them. "You guys this is Sesshoumaru Shoron," indicating to the said person. Everyone bowed and said hello.
So this must be the infamous Kouga and my brother's wench. How quaint. Well I believe my dear brother doesn't know what he lost. But I won't let this riffraff Kouga get her. Sesshoumaru thought to himself. Sango and Kouga were on one side of the table, while Inuyasha and Kikyo were on the other side. Sesshoumaru arranged it so that Kagome sat next to Sango and him next to Kagome. That will make it so that nothing happens. "Kagome mentioned that now you are no longer one of the top three kendo fighter any more brother," emphasizing 'brother.' "Tell me, how did you get into the top three in the first place?" he said smirking.
Inuyasha, so easily, took the bait. Any second now he might jump up and try to punch the one right next to her. Kagome could tell that this was going to get ugly if she didn't do something right away. "So, Kouga, how is Karate going?" she said in a desperate attempt to change the subject.
"It's going great," he said oblivious to what had just happened. "I took down the best fighter we've got in this school. I guess he isn't the best anymore," now showing off. "You should come and watch me some time."
"As tempting as that sounds I have Health that period. I have to make sure people don't die," at this everyone was quiet. Even the brat brothers got quiet. At noticing this Kagome felt a little embarrassed. "Settle down. There is nothing to worry about. If you don't stop staring at me like I'm going to drop dead in my seat, I'm going to leave!" Kagome was getting mad now and the group, who hasn't stopped staring, made her snap. She got up and left with her chin held high.
Sesshoumaru was the first one to wake up out of his reverie when the Cafeteria doors slammed shut. "Where is she going?" wondering what had happened just a few moments ago.
"The roof," they all said in unison. Obviously this was a regular occurrence.
"She always goes on the roof when she's troubled," Kikyo finally spoke, not really sad.
"Someone needs to go up there and cheer her up," Kouga started, "Someone she won't get mad at," after a moment everyone turned there heads to look at Sesshoumaru.
"Guess that means it's gonna' be you then," Inuyasha smirked.
"Why does it have to be me, pray tell?" Sesshoumaru asked.
"Because you're the new kid who doesn't know about her family problems," Sango said. "But wait. Why were you quiet if you didn't know about her family?" she asked.
"Because I do know about her problems," he stated. When everyone gave him the 'How?' look he added, "Ms. Harris had informed me of it, the curse the blessing, and I also now know the status of her son and Kagome's brother," the last part was said with a slightly lowered head. Not wanting to show too much emotion.
"How is Souta? Last I heard, he was a little sick but nothing to serious," Sango said in a worried tone.
She hasn't told them? She must not anyone to get worried. He thought remembering how she recovered in the Main office when her brother was spoken of. She carries a big burden on her shoulder. My respect for you has gone up a notch higher. Not wanting to reveal anything till it was time; Sesshoumaru got up and left in search of Kagome. That and he saw a Sesshoumaru fan club was approaching
_________________________
As Sesshoumaru got to the door, he stopped and listened. He suddenly felt very sad. Like he found out that he had no one and was alone in the world. That everything was hopeless.
He opened the door and found himself gazing at what looked like to be a depressed goddess. Kagome was sitting across the roof, against the wall. She had one leg pulled up close to her while the other was dangling off the ledge. She had her eyes closed while playing the violin that he had seen her carry and had carried himself. The sun was slightly peaking out of the clouds, making a beam of light shine only on her. It would have been perfect were it not for the lunch bag with an apple, bottle of water, and a half-eaten sandwich.
He smiled slightly and silently walked and sat next to her, on the other side of her lunch. His stomach suddenly growled. He cursed himself in his thoughts for showing such weakness. She surely must have heard it and was now going to stop what she was doing. But she showed no sign of hearing this so-called 'weakness,' she just sat there and kept playing her beautiful but depressing music. The only sign she gave that she heard, was using her foot to push her half eaten lunch over to him while her other foot kept swing off the ledge. He accepted and started to eat her apple.
Once she was done she opened her eyes and put her violin back in its case. By this time Sesshoumaru had finished his apple and was watching her intently. She picked up the other half of her sandwich, cut that in half, and gave a half to Sesshoumaru. He took it and the both ate there parts. All this happened without a sound to be heard.
When that was done Sesshoumaru was the first one to speak, "This is a nice spot you have here."
"Thank you. It's always nice to have a place or three were you can just get away," she said smiling sadly. "I like my lake better than this. In rank I would say that #1 would be my lake, #2 would be this roof, and #3 would be the school garden."
She's still sad. Now, how to distract her. "May I see your violin?" he asked.
She just lifted it out of its case and he was on the brink of grabbing it when she pulled back a little and said, "Be vary careful with this. It's a family heirloom," she spoke very seriously.
He nodded and accepted the precious instrument. She just took up her water and started drinking some of it. As he was examining violin he felt something in the back of it. Some sort of engraving. He turned it over and found all these names in it, sixteen to be exact.
He was about to ask about them when she spoke. "They're the names of the ancestors on my father's side. They all died of cancer," answering his unspoken question now looking away. She handed the half-empty water bottle to him.
Great job of cheering her up. You just made things worse.
Shut up!
"Describe your lake for me," Sesshoumaru said now getting desperate (But of course not showing it.). Grasping the bottle and taking a swig.
Kagome looked at him, into his eyes, and smiled. Why so desperate Sesshoumaru? You're doing the best you can to make me happy aren't you? I have the best friends in the world. "Well. It's a lake as big as a regular swimming pool but slightly smaller," she started with a glazed look. "With a small waterfall, about three feet high. There's a grand Willow tree next to it with half of it draping over the side. Lining the spot are dozens of Jasmines that make the place smell wonderful. And lastly, is that it's in the middle of the woods that surround my home," she said looking off to space, still smiling. She then looked back at Sesshoumaru who was watching her with such an intense gaze that she suddenly felt embarrassed and turned away, with red cheeks. "You must think I'm some kind of a dork, huh?"
"On the contrary, you're quite amazing," he said without thinking, just happy to see that she's happy. When he realized what he said he tried to change the subject once again before she noticed, "We should probably start heading to class," getting up. Once up, he put out his hand, offering some assistance. She readily took it and they headed off to English, never letting go of one another.