InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life isn't Perfect ❯ The Project ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part 5
The Project
English was pretty interesting. Their teacher, Mrs. Arnholt, was very funny. She taught them the basic greetings in America. They also played a game of Bingo to help the study for their test on Monday (its Thursday today.). Kagome won once while Sesshoumaru won the other
#_#_#_# (I have a Spanish teacher that does this and she is so funny. I also have a Grammar teacher, Ms. Kollar, which what will be spoken of really happened. ^_^)
_________________________
History, you could say, was the most interesting. Kagome and Sesshoumaru got to class early and sat in the back corner as always, not holding hands anymore. Their teacher, Ms. Kollar, was late to class. When she had gotten ready with everything she started talking about what happened to her last night (she is also a play director.). An actor had hit her head and had gotten a concussion. Once that was done, we had gotten to the topic at hand. We were starting research on the Sengoku Jida period.
#_#_#_#(Ms. Kollar does do this the next part though this isn't how she really acts.)
"Does she always talk about non essentials before we discuss school topics?" Sesshoumaru asked Kagome, wondering if she was qualified for this job.
"Yeah. That's what makes her so cool. She lets us eat in class and talk about regular stuff before we actually begin. She says it keeps us from talking in class," Kagome whispered putting an end to the conversation before the teacher could notice. Too bad that didn't work.
"Is there something you'd like to share with the class Kagome?" eyeing Kagome suspiciously.
"No Ms. Kollar. Nothing to share," she lied. It would have been entirely convincing if not for her cheeks going red.
"MmmHmm, than can you tell me how long it would take to make a Japanese long bow?" the teacher said trying to catch her off guard.
Why that *%&$#. Hardly anyone knows that. Sesshoumaru thought fuming. But he had nothing to fear, for Kagome stood up and answered.
"About 50 to 55 years," she not only answered but gave a summary of how they were made. "Unlike other bows, who are just shaped from a piece of wood, the Japanese long bow is made by cutting thin pieces of would, putting them together, bending it into a certain shape, and then put to age for 50 years where the makers grand child will finish the rest."
#_#_#_# (My brother was watching the Discovery channel and they were talking about how horses were keen in winning many wars. They got to Japans wars and how Samurai would use Long bows on horses in a fight. Then they discussed how to make the bows. That's one point for my brother. Darn! >_<)
"You're correct. But I'd expect nothing less from a miko," the teacher said trying to recover from her loss at trying to get her into trouble. "While we are on the subject, what is the record for the longest distance an arrow has been shot?" trying again.
"6,128 ft. Madam," Kagome answered quickly and cheerfully
"Very good. Sit down," Ms. Kollar said through clenched teeth.
#_#_#_# (My Ms. Kollar was never this mean. I just needed to have some mean teachers. Sorry Ms. Kollar. I found out the record by a fruit roll up. Snacks are good for your brain ^_^)
Sesshoumaru couldn't have been more impressed. This girl, that he only met today, had bested him, his brother, and a teacher in one day. I'm starting to believe she can do anything, Sesshoumaru thought, wanting (though never doing) to smile through his stoic mask. She is ...interesting. I've never been so intrigued by a person, and in one day! I wonder why my idiotic brother gave her up. Oh well, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Sesshoumaru smirked. What he didn't notice was that many of the girls who were staring at him hag gaped; sighed, and almost fainted (these are Sesshoumaru's fan club members.).
"Now class," the teacher started, "we will be starting a project for the Sengoku Jida period," everyone groaned. "You will all be able to choose your own partner," everyone cheered.
All the girls looked at Sesshoumaru who, in disguise, was very nervous. Then Kagome nudged him in the side with her elbow, he looked at her and she pointed to both of them, signifying to be together. Sesshoumaru couldn't have been more relieved. He nodded (witch made all the girls very peeved) and turned back to the teacher, who was finishing her explanation.
"What you will be doing is picking a subject to do your work on. Like Weapons, clothing, culture, women's' roles, men's roles, lords, ladies, legends, etc," she said listing off tasks. "You are aloud to use the Internet, books, anything you can find. It will be a 5-page essay with a speech for a presentation due Friday, December 3rd. (It's Thursday, November 3, 1998. Sorry, I don't know if I got it right.) You've got about a month so I expect it to be spectacular," giving all who looked upon her a serious stare. "Now pick your partner, tell me what's going to be your subject, then spend the rest of the class working on it," everyone got up and went to find a partner.
"So how about we do our report on Japanese weapons?" Kagome asked eagerly.
"You're not like most girls are you?" Sesshoumaru asked quirking up an eyebrow.
"No, why'd you ask?" Kagome asked, confused.
"Usually girls would pick clothes, make up, and other feminine things; yet you pick weapons, which kill things," Sesshoumaru said in a monotone voice.
"Well I'm glad I'm no ordinary girl then, huh?" speaking proudly. "I only were make up when it's a special occasion or picture day. The only Jewelry I ware is the necklace I am wearing now, (Lifting her necklace into view) and that's because it's a family heirloom. And I don't like shopping, so therefore I wouldn't pick clothes. I picked weapons because I know allot a bout them, can use most of them, and I kicked your but with one," she said, gloating on the last part. "Or we could do legends. I have a lot of old scrolls that have spells and tales of demons who would capture/save villagers that my grandfather used to read to Souta and I all the time," she added the last half of the sentence sadly.
"Weapons are fine. Go hurry and tell the teacher before someone else takes it," Sesshoumaru said, trying to keep Kagome's mind off of her dead and dying relatives. Almost everything reminds her of her family. I'll have to watch what we talk about and what other people talk about too. Wait! Why do I care? I don't care about anyone. What is so special about her? He watched as Kagome was coming back from the teacher's desk. She's different from every other girl I have ever met though. She doesn't care what other people think. She is kind yet can be strict when needed, exhibit A, my brother. She'll do things that most girls would be afraid to break their nail. Kagome sat back down at her desk next to Sesshoumaru. And, she'll do her best to make sure everyone is happy. She turned to him, smiling her fake smile. Even at the cost of her own.
"So, how much do you know about Sengoku Jida's armory?" Kagome asked innocently.
"I have a library in my home, filled with information we could use, I've spent many of my years using there discipline, and I have an original Katana from that time period. Is that enough?" Sesshoumaru asked, gloating on the inside.
"More than. The Katana's name, it's called Tenseiga right?" Kagome asked with a far off look.
"Yes," Sesshoumaru asked confused. "And how is it that you know the sword's name?" I don't think anyone knows the sword's real name.
"Inuyasha told me about it once. When I went to his house and I saw his sword, Tetsusaiga. He told me about how you both got one. He never mentioned your name though, and did his best to not ever talk about you," she said leaning on her hand. "I would ask why you two don't like each other so much," Sesshoumaru wanted to show his rage at the request (Meaning his eyes betrayed him),"but I guess it's none of my business. Plus, I see that you don't like the idea very much," holding back a giggle.
Sessohmaru realizing his mistake wanted to turn his head away but that would just prove that she had gotten to him. He decides to change the topic back to the project, which they should have been discussing in the first place. "Where should we go for our first meeting to work on the project?" successively doing what he had planned.
"Well," Kagome started, looking out the window and taping her fingers against her chin, "we could go to my house for a hour, tomorrow, before I have to go to work. Then we could dedicate the whole weekend to research," she turned her head back to him.
This interested Sesshoumaru a lot, "Where do you work?"
"I work in the Cafeteria at the nearby hospital. We actually could work longer if you came with me to work. We could bring our research and settle ourselves at one of the tables. Although I wouldn't be able to help much since I'll be working." Not to mention, I won't be able to visit Souta without him coming with me. And all my weekend /morning exercises would be out. When did my life get so complicated? School starts at 7 and ends at 2. Then I have lessons Monday through Thursday from 2:15 to 3. And work every weekday from 3:15 to 6:15 except on Friday when work starts at 3 and ends at 7. Then I have to go home and practice my archery skills. And make food for mom and Shippo (Kagome and her mom found Shippo and took him in. They didn't adopt him. Just gave him roof to be under.). Either way I have so little time for anything.
Sesshoumaru saw that Kagome was deep in thought and since she was frowning he guessed that her thoughts weren't pleasing. Needing to do something, he started talking again. "That would be a good idea Kagome. We will have to talk about it later since the bell is about to ring," and just as he predicted, the bell rang right after he finished.
"Huh?" she watched Sesshoumaru stand up, "Oh right. You probably have to go home with Inuyasha don't you?" she asked when they started to leave the classroom.
"Actually, I have a car while he doesn't and I'm not going to give him a ride, even though I do live with the bastard," at that he turned his head just in time to get hit in the back of his head instead of the side of the face.
"I believe you heard me when I hit Inuyasha that I won't allow foul language no matter if you're a new student," Sesshoumaru would have rubbed his head if every person in the hallway wasn't looking, and that it would show that it hurt him. "You even used the same word as he did this morning. I really expected better from you Sesshoumaru," she left with Sesshoumaru staring after her for a second before following her.
Jeez! Why does every one have to cuss? It's like they can't think of anything better to say. I know that Sesshoumaru is more of a gentleman than that. He could have spoken something that would have struck harder to the heart than a word that everyone uses. Sure it might take longer but it's allot more effective. Kagome was fuming by the time she got outside.
By this time Sesshoumaru was walking a little bit behind her. He didn't want to risk being the target for her rage again. He saw her walk across the street and in to the subway before he reached his car.