InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life isn't Perfect ❯ Calm Before the Storm ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part 6
Calm Before the Storm
Kagome reached the Karate building with minutes to spare. She spoke to Sango who was also taking the class, but had a car to get there by. When it was over she ran back to the subway so that she could get her work in time. She was rushing through the crowd, she only had a few minutes before she would be considered late, and she didn't want to be late to two things today. She ran as fast as she could, past the receptionist up two stairways and into the kitchen. Putting on her apron and hair net. It was kind of dull. During the breaks she went to her brothers room, as was the routine which would change the next day.
__________________________
Once her shift was over she went to see her brother one last time before she went home. She walked in to see him watching the news. He looked to her when he saw her walk over to him. "Souta I won't be able to visit you that much tomorrow," was said with a sad face.
"Oh, but why?" Souta wined.
"Well I'll have someone coming with me tomorrow so I won't have that much time," she said remembering Sesshoumaru.
"Why not just bring him with you," Souta said then put on a sly smile and said, "I could use someone new to talk to."
This got Kagome riled. "Then I guess since you're tired of my company. I won't visit anymore and just leave you to watch the news all day. I do have a school project to work on and my archery and Gymnastics have gotten a little rusty," she shot back and turned to leave.
"Come on Kagome, you know I was just joking. I couldn't make it threw this without you," Souta said whining with a little bit of plead. "You're the most interesting, beautiful, smart, and kind person in this hospital," he added.
"Well, alright," she said, turning around with a fake sigh. "But only because I wouldn't get such flattery anywhere else," she walked over to his bed and brought her face down to his so that they were looking eye to eye. "Be glad that you have a clever tongue and know my weak spot," she said turning to leave, he smirked. When she reached the door and opened it she glanced back at him, "3:00; visitor; I'll be back," the last part was an imitation of the famous actor as she walked out.
_________________________
That night after Kagome got home and did her nightly chores she went to the kitchen and grabbed the phone. Dialing, a once very used number, she waited nervously. It rang for five times before a made picked up.
"Hello, Diari residence. Who may I ask is speaking?" a female voice asked.
"Hi, this is Kagome Higurashi. Is Sesshoumaru home?" she answered still nervous.
"What is this regarding?" the maid asked to make sure to tell her master and find out if he wanted to talk to her or not.
"This is about or school project that we are to be working on together. I wanted to discuss about when and were we will be working on said project tomorrow after school," Kagome said sharply, now getting very irritated with all the questions. "May I speak to him or not?"
"One moment," with that the maid left and there wasn't a sound to be heard. After a few minutes Kagome was a bout to hang up if it weren't for some one answering in the second.
"Hello," came a monotone voice that could only be, unmistakably, Sesshoumaru.
"You know I was just about to hang up from waiting so long after your maid gave me the third degree," she paused a bit to see if he would say anything but thought she herd a very soft chuckle. When she decided it was just her imagination she waved it off and continued. "Well, I was thinking we could go to my house right after school and get our homework done then study till I have to get to work. Then when I do, well both go there. I'll check in and do a couple of things while you set up at one of the tables. I'll take as many breaks a possible to help in. When my shift is over we'll go back to my house and study until you want to go home. I'm even cooking dinner since my mom is off at my aunts for the whole weekend. Does that sound good to you?" she waited with great anticipation.
"Sounds fine. May I bring someone with me? It's only a little girl, she's about 12 years old," Sesshoumaru asked, still monotone.
"Sure she's Shippos' age so they can keep each other company. We'll talk more lately I can hear Inuyasha's ease-dropping growl in the background. Bye," with that she hung up and we go over to the other side of the phone were a seemingly calm Sesshoumaru is about to pummel Inuyasha.
"Inuyasha, my dear brother," there was a huge emphasis on brother. "It is dishonorable to ease-drop, not to mention rude," he spoke into the receiver. "If you show yourself now I will not cause you as much pain as I would if you were to resist," Sesshoumaru said deathly calm.
At this Inuyasha was more frightened than a chicken. Sesshoumaru's' voice was freakishly calm which only meant bad things for him. He walked out from the other room and stepped in plain view of his brother. When he saw the smirk on his face he paled. He was in deep shit.
_________________________
Close up on a tree just outside the Diari residence.
BAM!
CRASH!
All the birds in the tree flew off, chirping in fright.
________________________
"By Shippo. By Kagome see you on Monday." Ms. Higurashi waved from the departing taxi. It was Friday morning and 6:00am.
"By mom, don't worry we'll take good care of the house while you're gone," Kagome waved off.
"By Ms. Higurashi. I'll make sure Kagome doesn't burn down the house!" Shippo yelled when she was out of earshot.
"Shippo, you're so mean," Kagome playfully socked him in the arm. "Anyway, we better get ready for school while I go and make breakfast," she said heading back on in the house. "What would you like to have?" she asked.
"Uh.…" he started, scratching his head when he got inside. "How about chocolate chip waffles?" Shippo asked.
"I don't know. I don't think you should have sweets this early in the morning." she said half seriously. When he gave her the puppy dog look, how could she resist even playfully saying no? "Okay, but you better not get hyper," with this she went upstairs to get ready before making breakfast.
"Thank you Kagome and can you make extra for my friend? She's new and I want to give her something," he heard a 'Yeah' and went to get ready.
By the time they left it was 6:30. Kagome, having extra time walked Shippo to school before reaching her own.
________________________
The day went on it's usual routine. Math was quiet. Kagome beat Sesshoumaru at kendo again. Health was interesting. Biology was disgusting. English was wild. And History is where we are now.
"So I was thinking we could spend Saturday at your house and look through some of your books," Kagome asked to Sesshoumaru. "And I'll have to bring Shippo as well," she added.
"That is fine with me," Sesshoumaru answered looking out the window.
"Is something wrong. You're spacing out and it is really getting me worried," she asked with a concerned look.
"You space out all the time. Why should it matter if I do it once?" he said now looking at her.
"Well that's me. I have an excuse and every one knows it. I don't know your excuse so it might be something good for all I know. But if it's bad, I want to see what I can do to help," she answered with a knowing look.
"How is it that you can be so nice and friendly to someone you just met?" he asked staring at her.
"Well, I'm nice to everyone. And I don't really care who you are, if your on my good side your are my friend and deserve to be treated just like any one else," Kagome said smugly.
"How many people are on your good side?" he asked.
"Just about everyone," she answered.
"Just about, everyone. So who is on your bad side?" he asked his world friendly friend.
"Well," she started nervously. "These two people that need not names," she finished quickly.
"Right," he said off handedly.
"What, stop giving me that look." she said looking into his eyes.
"And what look is that, pray tell?” staring back into her eyes.
"That look were you think I'm weird. I know I'm different but come on," she said blushing with his intense gaze.
"Huh," was all he said. 'The look,' stills in his eyes.
"Well, what does it take to get onto your good gracious?" she said, switching the attention from her to him.
"First you have to earn my respect. Which means you better be good at something. You can't irritate me to where I want to hurt you, just don't irritate me at all. At least try to be smart. You have to be strong, and that doesn't always mean strength. Never betray or lie to me. And don't touch what is mine unless you are given permission," he said thinking of all the things that have gotten many people on his 'black' list.
"Wow, you're strict," when she said this Sesshoumaru gave sour eyes. "I don't know if I've earned your respect," Sesshoumaru was about to tell her that she did when she kept going without noticing. "I'm pretty good at allot of things. I think I might have irritated you when I hit you the other day," I totally forgot about that. Is what Sesshoumaru thought at the last comment? "I'm pretty smart, or else I don't think I would have gotten bumped up a grade. I don't think I'm strong. I haven't known you long enough to have betrayed or lied to you, not that I would, I don't like liars. I don't think I've touched any thing of yours either," she thought through everything. "That's 4 good and 3 bad," she said looking at him.
"You have earned my respect, being able to tame Inuyasha was one reason for that accomplishment," he started. "I had forgotten about hitting incident until now," Kagome's face went red, "but since I did curse, all is forgiven," she sighed in relief. "You are strong, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Our time at the office proved that. So therefor that is 7/ 7. You are on my 'good gracias' as you say it," he finished. When he looked at her he saw her light blush turn beet red, and as much as he liked it he guessed, for Kagome's sake, he should change the subject.
"We should probably pack up the bell is about ring and we have done nothing for our project," he said getting his stuff ready after checking the clock. "I have to go pick up Rin from school," he added.
PPPRRRIIINNNGGG!!!
"Shall we head to my car?" Sesshoumaru asked.
"Umm.... sure," she said still, a little red.
________________________
When they reached the car Kagome finally realized what kind of vehicle that Sesshoumaru drove. His car was a 1974 Hatchback, Chevy Nova. With a 350 engine, and it was 'Electric Yellow.' (She doesn't know the 350 or the 1974 part yet. My brother has this car and I love it. That color actually looks good on it. ^_^) Let's just say she was impressed.
Sesshoumaru, seeing her stare, got all cocky. "Do you know anything about cars?" he asked non-innocently.
"Yeah. It was one of my dad's passions. He also had a talent for cars. His 'things' were: violin, bow, guitar, cars, computers, and writing." Kagome said drifting into old memories. "He would always teach me little things about cars," suddenly Kagome started giggling.
"What's so funny?" Sesshoumaru asked.
"Well, it was just that my dad thought I would be one of those material girls, you know?" she started, looking towards him. When he gave her the confused eyes she giggled again. "Remember when you asked me if I was like either girls?" he nodded. "That's what my dad thought I was going to be. A prissy girl who only cared about clothes and make-up," when she said this she gave Sesshoumaru a look of disgust. She obviously didn't like 'material girls.' "Since he thought I was going to be like that, he thought I should know something about cars. So that incase my car, has a flat tire or the car is just messed up I won't freak out and call 911 for a simple oil change," she finished, giggling once again.
________________________
They got in and while they were driving Kagome asked various questions about the car. Like mileage, engine, year, etc. Finally the subject changed to the children they were taking care of.
"So how old is Rin?" Kagome started the new subject.
"She'll be 12 on November the 6th. And Shippo?"
"He turned 12 in April. I'm so proud of him," Sesshoumaru gave a quick look to her for her to explain. "He was bumped up a grade like me so I like to know that he is going to have a great future ahead of him," she said giving him a proud look.
"Same with Rin," he said puffing up his chest slightly.
"Wow, that's so cool," giving him an awed face. Then something dawned on her. "She started her new school when you did, right?" she asked.
"Yes, so?" getting curious.
"Shippo asked me to make him extra Chocolate chip waffles so that he could give some to his new friend," she said looking at him.
"So?" he asked not getting it.
"He said it was for a new student who is a girl," giving a voice and making hand movements signifying he should be getting what she was talking about.
"Rin." he stated, finally realizing. At the realization you could have sworn the car felt like it was going a little bit faster. (.^_^.)
"Well I guess since they go to the same school and live in the same house, the place where we're going to go after this, he'll be getting ride to right?" she said noticing his protective mood change.
"What...?" he said, not paying attention. "Oh. Oh yeah, right, of course he'll get a ride," remembering what she asked.
"Good, 'cause we're here," she said, pointing to a huge three story building.
They found a good, visible, parking spot and waited for school to end. (School for them gets out at 2:00, school for the kids gets out at 2:10.) The bell rang and all these kids busted out of these two double doors. They saw their two children come out and start walking down the sidewalk. Sesshoumaru beeped his horn and when they, as well as half the children front the school looked, Kagome waved them over.
"Hey, want to hitch a ride?" she said pointing to the back seats in a mock gesture. They got inside and off they went to the shrine with chatterbox children the whole way.