InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like My Master ❯ Ch. 8: Vying for His Affections ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.



Like My Master
By: Miyukyshan

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Chapter Eight: Vying for His Affections

Lady Amaya continued walking until she was well out of hearing range of Sesshomaru. Sayu heard the woman stop and was surprised when she turned around with a menacing growl and shoved her into the wall by her throat. The angry demoness snarled and bore her fangs.

“Listen you disgusting human filth, you’re going to do exactly what I say and you are never to repeat it. Even if Lord Sesshomaru demands you tell him you will keep your mouth shut no matter what, understand?”

Sayu choked against the woman’s vice-like grip. She desperately wanted to kill the demoness, but her shackles wouldn’t allow her to harm anyone who gave her orders. Instead she nodded, ignoring the biting pain of the claws pressed against her throat.

“Good, now follow me and keep quiet.”

Lady Amaya released her grip and Sayu tumbled to the floor. Her shackles vibrated and she immediately stood and followed. The servants looked at them strangely but kept their distance. Sayu knew they didn’t like her, but they disliked the overbearing demoness even more. Amaya was abusive and high-maintenance and none of them wanted her as Lady of the Western Lands. Sayu glared at her while she walked. She had to obey her, but she didn’t have to like it. Of all the masters she was forced to follow, this demoness scared her the most.

What was Lord Sesshomaru thinking? Sayu wondered as they came to the screen door leading out to the garden. Sayu heard Rin humming and smiled until she saw the disturbing look on Amaya’s face.

The demoness narrowed her eyes at her before looking at the door’s concealing the child and smirking. “Sayu,” she said without taking her eyes off them, “I want you to hurt that little human.”

Sayu felt her stomach heave and the whole room seemed to go black.

“Don’t give me that look. I didn’t tell you to kill her, just rough her up a bit.”

The woman kept talking but Sayu didn’t hear her. She could never hurt Rin, despite being ordered. Even ignoring her personal feelings, her main directive was to protect Rin. To go against her master’s main order would certainly lead to punishment, but outright refusing the demoness’ command would have the same effect. Sayu gulped when she felt the familiar buzz against her wrist. She had only been punished once, and that was all it took. She was weak back then and gave in quickly and no master ever had to ask her twice after that. But hurting Rin…

I can’t do it… Sayu looked up at the woman and narrowed her eyes. “No.”

It was deliberate disobedience and a warning shock ran through her. She tightened her fists and lifted her chin, openly challenging Lady Amaya. Sayu knew she couldn’t hurt her, but she could choose to defy her.

“How dare you… Get out there and do what I told you!” the demoness snarled.

“I refuse. I will not do what you have asked.”

Another shockwave made her grunt and her eyelids fluttered. Lady Amaya stood back and smirked, smelling the slight pain and fear she was giving off.

“I see. It gets worse the longer you go without obeying. Well, I have all the patience in the world,” she breathed before leaning against the wall with an amused smile.

Sayu’s shackles began to glow blue and streaks of electricity flew up her arms and made her blood burn. She continued to stare defiantly at the woman, but when the pain increased she had trouble focusing. A blinding light flashed from her wrists and a sickening crunch echoed through the hall. Sayu’s eyes widened and blood trailed out of her nose and she fell to her knees. Her skull felt like it was cracked in two and the sensation sent tremors of sharp pain through her brain. She pressed her hands to the sides of her head and her mouth dangled open in a shocked “O.” Another flash of blue and searing white pain flashed in her eyes. A strangled scream escaped her throat as blood seeped from her nose and ears.

“All you have to do is scratch the stupid child and this pain will be gone,” Amaya said as she leaned down to inspect the human. She frowned when Sayu looked at her with hatred so deep it sent a chill down her spine. She stood quickly and backed away. “Fine, have it your way,” she said, her voice uncertain as the human began to rock back and forth.

Sayu could barely see the blood pooling beneath her face as the pain blinded her. The first time she had given in long before she bled, and she tried to conjure the image of her master ordering her to protect Rin. His stifled words did little to soothe the curse and another sickening crunch sent her over the edge. She couldn’t help the scream that erupted out of her mouth. It was long and filled with so much agony that everyone in the castle stopped, frightened by the harrowing sound. Sayu’s face was soon covered in blood as more flowed out of her eyes. Lady Amaya began to regret her decision as the terrifying creature beneath her fell to the floor and let out another heart-stopping scream. She shuddered and covered her ears before turning and running from the woman.

Sayu cried out after her and whimpered as the shocks grew in intensity. It was just as she feared. Even though the person who made the order was gone, the command remained intact and wouldn’t be dissolved until her master negated it. Another painful scream muted the sound of the shoji screen opening beside her. Rin looked in with frightened eyes and then threw it open when she saw her guardian writhing in agony just beyond the door.

“Onee-san?” Rin asked tentatively, covering her ears when another shrill scream ripped through the otherwise quiet castle. Tears pooled in her eyes and she began to sob. “Onee-san!” she yelled.

Something snapped in Sayu when she heard Rin crying out to her. The object of her command was close and the torture only intensified at her intentional disobedience. The shackles hummed and glowed brighter, lifting her hands of their own accord and pulling her toward the terrified girl. Sayu realized this and tried to resist the magic’s strong pull. She managed to look at Rin, barely seeing her through the blood and opened her mouth to speak.

“Run,” she choked out.

Rin looked at her with a shocked expression and shook her head.

Sayu moaned as she continued to resist. She leveled her gaze and focused on the girl. “I… said… run!” she screamed.

Rin jumped and turned to leave, eyes wide with confusion and fear, but Sesshomaru appeared and she ran to him instead. Sayu felt her master’s presence and let out a keening wail in response and proceeded to drag her body towards him despite the unending pain.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

It was only ten minutes after Lady Amaya left Sesshomaru’s chambers and he retired to his library when it hit him that something was horribly wrong. The second time was moments later and he felt like he’d been punched in the gut. This was followed shortly after by a deafening scream that made his blood run cold.

The woman… he thought before moving to stand.

Another wave of dread ran through him followed by another punching sensation and he dropped to a knee as his vision blurred. Sesshomaru growled in frustration and stood. He could sense the woman was in a horrendous amount of pain and he threw the screen door aside and followed the heavy scent of her blood.

Nothing could have prepared him for the sight he eventually came across. Rin, much to his horror, was standing next to the woman and looked about to bolt. The woman looked like she’d dipped her upper body in a bucket of blood. The smell bombarded his senses and he had trouble concentrating. She seemed to sense his presence and began dragging herself towards him. Her breaths were drawn in ragged gasps and she occasionally stopped to grab her head and cry out. Sesshomaru stared at her bloody face in shock and moved toward her. Sayu managed to pull herself to his feet and pressed her forehead to his shoes.

“Master,” she whimpered pathetically.

Sesshomaru scowled and felt his demon rage against the treatment dealt out to his property.

“What is the meaning of this,” he hissed.

Rin wailed against his leg and he growled at her to keep quiet. The girl silenced herself immediately and cried softly. Sesshomaru turned his attention back to Sayu and bent down to the suffering woman.

“What happened?” What do I do to stop this? He thought desperately.

As if sensing his questions, Sayu held her hand out to him. Sesshomaru couldn’t tell if she was crying, but then noticed that she was, only blood came out instead of the salty liquid that normally did.

“Please… Tell me not to do it,” Sayu managed between ragged breaths.

Sesshomaru suddenly realized he was witnessing the punishment of a disobeyed command. Amaya… he thought with an enraged snarl. “Whatever she told you to do; I’m ordering you to disregard it.”

Sayu crumpled at his feet with a cry of relief and immediately blacked out. Sesshomaru scowled and vowed to hunt down the demoness after he tended to his abused slave. He lifted her in his arms, ignoring the blood that smeared all over his white clothing, and told Rin to find Kaito and stay with him for her protection. The girl understood and ran to the training room where she was certain she’d find him. Sesshomaru then turned his attention back to the woman in his arms and made his way to his chambers. The first servant he came across was ordered to bring a large basin and a lot of cloths to his room. He was pleased when he returned to find everything already prepared and waiting.

Sesshomaru leaned her against the wall by his balcony as carefully as he could. Warm water was already in the basin and he dropped in one of the cloths and carried it to the unconscious woman. He then settled down next to her and began the harrowing task of wiping the blood from her face and neck.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sayu woke to the tender brushing of warmth across her face. She groaned and her eyelids fluttered open to reveal the handsome face of her master. The warmth went away and she whimpered at the chill left behind on her skin.

“Are you all right now?” she heard him ask.

Sayu trembled at the memory of the horrible punishment she received but nodded. A sigh of relief brushed past her lips when he resumed his feather-light cleansing. I thought I would lose control and hurt Rin. At the memory of the beloved child Sayu’s eyes snapped back open and she leaned forward, ignoring the lingering aches from her punishment. “Rin! Where’s Rin?” she yelled, forgetting her station and directly questioning her master.

“Rin is with Kaito, but I’m sure she’ll be here soon enough to inquire after you. That was… quite a scene,” Sesshomaru said carefully.

Knowing Rin had seen everything upset Sayu, but she was glad she was able to resist her orders until Sesshomaru came. Suddenly noticing their closeness and intimate quarters, Sayu reached up to take the cloth from Sesshomaru. Before she could even grab a hold of it the demon lord snatched his hand away and frowned.

“Master, you shouldn’t lower yourself to such a demeaning task. Please,” she said softly.

Sesshomaru growled and rinsed the cloth in the bloody water. So we’re back to Master…

“I will decide what is demeaning. And I’ve already told you once that you are not to call me master. Now be still.”

Sayu sighed in defeat and leaned back against the wall, exhausted from the day’s events.

“What did Lady Amaya order you to do?”

Sayu’s heart stopped at the question. She knew he would ask her sooner or later, but there was no way she could answer. The demoness had given her two separate commands, and Sesshomaru only negated the second. He couldn’t undo the first no matter how hard he tried because Amaya had declared under no circumstances was she to reveal her secret. The shackles hummed against her skin and she shook with fear of a second reprimand.

“My Lord, I cannot answer you.”

Sayu was thankful to have such an intelligent man for a master, because he seemed to understand her problem and looked away from her.

“I see, so Lady Amaya has ordered you to secrecy. She’s not as stupid as she looks.” Because she knows I would have killed her the second I found out.

Her silence was enough of an answer for him. Sayu moved to stand but was cut short by a warning growl from the man next to her. She resumed her seat and smiled inwardly. The rumors she heard about a ruthless, human-hating demon didn’t suit the man caring for her. Sesshomaru was so gentle in his attention to her and had even brought her to his private chambers to care for her. Sayu’s heart gave an unfamiliar twinge and she grasped at the bloody clothing above her breast.

“Are you still in pain?”

“N-no, my Lord. Just an odd sensation,” she whispered, secretly pleased by the concern in his tone.

“Hn. Woman, from now on you are never to obey another order from Lady Amaya. In fact, the only person you take commands from will be me.”

Sayu gasped and looked her master in the eyes. The golden depths were stern and protective as he watched her. She gave him a small smile and nodded.

“Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru,” she breathed. Her cheeks warmed as his eyes softened and she knew now why Amaya did what she had. “My Lord, do not hold Lady Amaya accountable for her actions. She just reacted out of jealousy,” Sayu said.

The demon grunted but his eyes hardened. “I will decide what to do with the woman.”

Sayu frowned. If he killed her, Amaya’s clan would surely come clawing down Sesshomaru’s door. The last thing she wanted for her new master was war. But the wounds were too fresh and she knew he wouldn’t listen to reason just yet. She gathered her courage and decided to be bold in an effort to save her master.

“My Lord, when are we leaving the castle for our next trip? Rin is anxious to travel with you again,” she suggested, hoping he would take her bait and leave the castle long enough for her to convince him not to decapitate the demoness.

Sesshomaru looked pensive for a moment before wringing out the soiled rag and getting another. He lifted it to her face and wiped away a smear of blood from her chin. His gaze traveled to her lips and he hesitantly reached out, stroking her full, blood-covered mouth with his wet fingers. Sayu parted her lips in a sharp intake of breath and watched him intently. The look in his eyes reminded her of the incident in the training room and she felt a needy ache ball in the pit of her stomach. She saw his nose twitch and expected to see disgust, but the demon lord surprised her again with the hungry look in his eyes.

Curse his sensitive demon nose. Sayu thought. She looked to the ground and blushed. “M-My Lord, about this afternoon,” she began, but Rin chose that moment to burst into the room with tears streaking down her face.

“Onee-san!” she screamed before throwing herself in Sayu’s shocked but open arms. “Onee-san I was so scared,” Rin cried.

Sayu smiled tenderly and wrapped her arms tightly around the weeping girl. She kissed the top of her head and rested her cheek against her hair before gently rocking the distressed child. “Hush, I’m okay now. Lord Sesshomaru saved me,” she whispered. She then gathered Rin in her lap and continued to rock her.

Kaito appeared in the doorway with an apologetic look on his face. “Lord Sesshomaru, she wouldn’t stop crying and I looked away for a second and she was gone.” His voice was all apologies and Sesshomaru merely nodded and waved him away. Before he went he smiled at Sayu and dipped his head. “Sayu, I’m so glad you’re okay. Rin thought you were dead,” he said before giving his lord a deep bow and shutting the screen behind him.

Sayu… I remember the fox demon saying her name now. A sweet melody reclaimed his attention and he looked at the woman currently invading his thoughts.

Sayu had Rin curled in her lap with both arms wrapped securely around her. Rin’s own were thrown haphazardly around her neck and she was snuffling against Sayu’s chest. The little girl was being rocked and sung to sleep by his mysterious slave, the melody ringing familiarly in his ears. He shook his head and realized her previous question went unanswered.

“We will leave when you have recovered,” he stated.

Sayu looked up, startled out of her singing by Sesshomaru’s deep baritone. “I should be fine to leave tomorrow.”

She could see the hesitance in his eyes and wondered when she had become so good at reading the normally emotionless man. The bond. Of course, what else would it be? She thought while taking up her song again.

After they made sure Rin was asleep, she let Sesshomaru take her and carry her to her own bed. Sayu tried to stand, but another growl from Sesshomaru made her sit back down.

“You are too weak. I’ll be right back. Don’t move,” he ordered.

Sayu sighed and wondered if he even realized how often he ordered her around. Unlike his other slaves, she didn’t get to ignore him. And even if he wasn’t completely serious she still had to obey. It didn’t take him long to put Rin to bed and come back and he walked in on her looking down at her ruined garments with a forlorn sigh. He looked at her with a raised brow and Sayu only had to gesture to her blood-soaked clothing for him to understand.

“I’ve arranged for you to have something new. It should be ready by the time you’ve finished your bath,” he stated.

Sayu smiled and nodded before Sesshomaru appeared before her and had an arm under her knees and the other around her back. Sayu squealed when he lifted her and grabbed on to the spikes sticking out of his armor. Sesshomaru fixed her with a cocky smirk before walking to her room. She blushed and kept her mouth shut until Sesshomaru stopped in front of her door and gently lowered her feet to the ground.

Sayu chewed her lower lip before bowing deeply to the great demon lord. “Thank you for saving me, my Lord,” she said.

“It should never have happened in the first place,” he replied.

He blames himself for what’s happened. “You could not possibly have known her intentions. But I stand by what I said. Please let her go unharmed.”

She could feel him staring at her, studying her with those intense amber eyes and shivered beneath his heated gaze.

“She cannot go unpunished, but I’ll reconsider my method,” was all he said before disappearing into Rin’s room.

Just as he promised, a new set of clothes was waiting for Sayu when she finished her bath. Eri was waiting with a giddy smile on her face and nearly pounced on Sayu when she came through the door leading into her room. Her and the demoness were becoming fast friends.

“Sayu, have you heard the news?” Eri asked excitedly.

Sayu smiled and shook her head, admiring the strong black fabric that made up her pants. Seeing the expression on Eri’s face, she sighed and set the garment aside. It was clear the worked up cat demon expected her full attention.

“Lady Amaya was all but kicked out of the castle!”

Sayu blanched and clutched at the white kimono bunched around her knees. Eri didn’t seem to notice her friends’ change in behavior because she continued to divulge al the dirty secrets.

“Isn’t this fantastic? I heard Lord Sesshomaru nearly killed her because she mistreated one of the servants. I can’t imagine how badly she roughed them up for him to cause such an uproar about it. I feel badly for whoever got on her bad side,” Eri said.

“Do you know if Lord Sesshomaru harmed her?” Sayu asked.

Eri gave her a strange look and stuck her nose in the air. “No, he didn’t. But he should have! He just ordered her to leave and not come back. Too bad for her, because she intended to make him her mate.”

“And what of the treaty? Are we going to war?”

“Lord Sesshomaru signed it and sent it away with her. I’m glad for that,” Eri said before taking a good look at Sayu. “You don’t look so good. I heard you sparred with Lord Sesshomaru today. He must have been pretty rough on you.”

Sayu blushed at the memory of her master’s tongue on her skin and his fangs dragging across her sensitive flesh. Yes, he had been rough with her. She was lucky to get away with nothing more than rattled nerves and a deep ache in her belly. Sayu shook her head to rid herself of Lord Sesshomaru. “Does anyone know who Lady Amaya released her wrath on?”

“No, apparently only Lord Sesshomaru witnessed it. And we all know how talkative he is.” Eri giggled at her joke and Sayu smiled.

Another demon came for Eri and she left Sayu to admire her new outfit. She wasted no time in pulling it on and was pleased to find it fit her perfectly. She didn’t know how Sesshomaru came up with it so quickly, but she was grateful. The pants were black and loose so she could move around easily but the top was tight and sleeveless with a beautiful sakura pattern woven around the edges. The white flowers stood out sharply against the black fabric and the top was secured with a blue and white obi of the same design. She even had a pair of shoes. The short boots slid on easily and she marveled at the way her feet felt inside of them. Sayu smiled and ran her hands down her torso, reveling in the soft fabric woven by demon hands. A familiar presence appeared beyond her door and she called for him to enter.

Kaito slid the door open and smiled brightly when he saw her. “Sayu, you look fantastic,” he said.

“Thank you,” she murmured while fingering the sash tied around her waist.

“How do you feel?” he asked.

Sayu looked at him and saw sadness in his usually happy eyes. She forced a smile to her lips and gestured to her sound frame. “Lady Amaya is going to have to try a lot harder to get rid of me. But I would appreciate it if you kept what happened between us,” she said.

Kaito nodded and looked at the door leading to Rin’s room. “I was scared when I saw her. She reeked of your blood and wouldn’t stop sobbing. I thought for sure you had been killed.”

“You must not have much faith in me,” Sayu whispered.

The look Kaito gave her was filled with so much hurt and desperation it nearly threw her back. “Don’t ever think that! You can do anything. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise,” he said vehemently.

I think you’re forgetting something.” Sayu smiled sadly and held up her wrists. “So long as I have these I am nothing but a slave.”

Kaito growled and ran forward, grabbing her by her arms and turning pleading eyes to her. “Then break the curse.”

Sayu gasped and turned away from him. She often thought of doing just what he suggested, but she didn’t even remember who cursed her. The origin of the spell was crucial in breaking it. No, she would be a slave forever.

“Sayu, there has to be a way. We can find it,” he whispered.

His face was so close to hers it made her blush and she thought she saw a glimmer of something familiar in his eyes. Something similar to what she’d seen in Sesshomaru’s. Sayu brushed the thought away and sighed. “Kaito, I appreciate your concern, but I don’t think I’ll ever be free. I’ve accepted my fate. You need to accept it, too.”

The hopeful look on his face was replaced with anger and he dropped her arms. “How can you just give up like that?” he asked.

Sayu scowled at his prying. He had no idea what she’d been through in her long, human life. He certainly had no right to judge her. “You can ask Rin or Lord Sesshomaru that. They saw what happens when I go against my restraints. You were fortunate enough not to,” she hissed and walked to her futon.

Kaito frowned and walked to the door. Before he left he looked back at her sadly. “If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me.”

Sayu winced when the shoji screen slammed behind him. She knelt down and crawled under the blankets on her futon, happy to finally end her nightmarish day. Well, it wasn’t all bad. Sayu thought while remembering her sparring match with Sesshomaru. A shiver went down her spine and she giggled before rolling to her side and almost immediately falling asleep. Rin sneaking in and climbing in bed with her wasn’t even enough to rouse her from her healing slumber.