InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 2): Awakenings ❯ In The Village Of The Bear ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I still do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. However, any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks to those of you who take the time to leave a review. The more I get, the faster I tend to write.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Awakenings
 
 
Chapter 2: In the Village of the Bear (Warning: Small Lemon in Chapter)
 
 
InuYasha caught Kagome before she hit the ground. Cradling her in his arms he said, “She's exhausted. She needs to rest.”
 
The village elder stated, “I have not properly introduced myself. My name is Kenmei. I am the village headman. Please, you would be welcome in my home.”
 
“All of us?” Miroku questioned.
 
“Yes, of course. All of you are welcome. We will prepare a meal for you and a hot bath if you would like one,” Kenmei stated. “Though it looks like we need to let the miko rest first.”
 
“Keh, thank you. Are you certain you want to allow a hanyou and youkai into your home?” InuYasha asked, looking worriedly at his mate in his arms.
 
“We never had this kind of problem before the priest arrived. That bear youkai has lived in this forest for as long as anyone can remember. There are even tales that have been passed down for generations of it driving off other youkai. The young miko was right, just because the bear is a youkai, does not mean it is evil. We will pray to the Kami to forgive us for allowing this to happen,” the elder replied.
 
“We would be honored to accept your hospitality,” Miroku responded for the group. “It has been a dusty two days of travel.”
 
“Please, come with me then,” Kenmei said as he headed towards his home.
 
 
 
When Kagome finally came to, she found herself on a futon, looking up into concerned amber eyes. Her hand was clasped between InuYasha's as he waited for her to wake up.
 
“Kagome, are you all right?” the hanyou asked worriedly.
 
“Just very tired,” Kagome responded. “Where are we?”
 
“The village headman brought us to his home. He said that we can stay the night and that he will feed us and prepare a bath for us. Oh, Kagome, I was so worried. I have never seen anything like it.” This time it was Sango who spoke.
 
“How did the bear know you would not hurt it, and how did you know its name?” Miroku asked.
 
“Feh. Enough questions for right now. Kagome is still tired and needs to eat and bathe. Kagome, what do you want to do first?” InuYasha asked with concern in his voice. He wasn't prepared to talk about what really happened just yet.
 
“How long before a bath would be ready? I could really use one,” Kagome answered.
 
“Our host said that it would be waiting when you woke up. The water should be pretty warm by now. Do you want me to let them know we are ready?” Sango responded.
 
“Yes, thank you. Miroku, do you want to go with Sango and let him know that you and InuYasha would like a bath as well? Find out if they have more than one, all right?” Kagome asked.
 
Miroku inquired, “Will you be ready for a meal afterwards?”
 
“Yes. I'm hungry, but I will enjoy it more if I'm clean.”
 
“We will let them know. Let us go, Sango,” Miroku said.
 
After Miroku and Sango were out of the room, InuYasha once again looked at Kagome with worry in his eyes. “Are you sure you feel all right?”
 
“Yeah, just really tired. That took a lot out of me. Did you know that might happen?” Kagome asked quietly.
 
InuYasha just shook his head. “No, but I don't really want to talk about it until we get away from here. I don't know how it happened, but it probably wouldn't be safe if anyone overheard us. We'll talk about it after we are out of the village, all right?”
 
“All right, InuYasha. Will you help me up?” Kagome asked.
 
InuYasha helped Kagome to her feet and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead. “Are you sure you feel up to moving around?”
 
“I think I will feel better after a bath. Don't worry, InuYasha. I don't feel any ill-will here,” Kagome said quietly. “Where's my pack?”
 
“The monk picked it up since I had my hands full. It's over there.” InuYasha indicated the corner where Miroku had dropped the backpack. InuYasha retrieved the oversized pack for his mate and set it down next to her.
 
Kagome was rummaging around in her backpack, pulling out her shampoo, soap and clean clothes when Sango and Miroku came back.
 
“What'd you find out?” InuYasha asked them.
 
“They have their own bath house with tubs waiting for us. They have a large tub set up for the ladies in one room, and another for us in the other. They are ready when we are,” Miroku responded.
 
Slap! “Hentai! And we are NOT telling them we are husband and wife so we can bathe in the same tub!” Sango huffed at the monk, as he grinned and rubbed the red mark on his cheek.
 
“My dear Sango, it was just a suggestion. I thought...” but Miroku was cut off by the glare that InuYasha gave him before he could finish. The hanyou was afraid the monk was about to suggest something similar for himself and Kagome. And as much as InuYasha would like to, it wasn't a good idea.
 
“Remember what was discussed, Monk,” was all the hanyou said.
 
Miroku gulped and nodded his head.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Back in the village by InuYasha's Forest, Shippou had quit complaining and started working to help old Kaede however he could. His nimble fingers were quick in the sorting of herbs she gathered and brought back, and the kitsune had started asking more questions about what each was for. Shippou had even started going out to the gardens with Kaede to help her weed and had begun to learn how to tell when each herb was ready to be harvested. Shippou decided that he would rather that Kagome be proud of him rather than disappointed as she was the last time he saw her.
 
Shippou also started practicing his kitsune magic, well as much as he could on his own. He did wish that there was an adult kitsune around he could go to in order to develop his own natural talents. However, the kit did start to realize that he could somewhat detect the auras of those that had them (like other youkai and miko), and so Shippou went to Kaede to see if she could help him some in developing that talent. Kaede commended his progress, and told him that learning to discern between familiar and strange youkai, hanyou, and even miko, would be to his advantage.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kagome exhaled a sigh in relief as her body slipped into the hot water of the bath. Sango had stepped in alongside her and they were both silent as they leaned back against the wall of the tub, letting the water soothe their tired and sore muscles. Even though they had not actually battled the bear youkai, they were still stiff from being on the road followed by the flurry of activity when dealing with the bear and villagers.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“Do you think that priest will make more trouble?”
 
“I'm afraid so. Look at what he did to InuYasha and then what he did to that poor bear. She's never hurt a living soul that had not intended harm to this village, and yet he tried to kill her. I don't think he has any intention of changing his ways. If he can't find anyone willing to listen to him here, he will probably move on to another village where they will. I can't believe he found so many followers here considering the history of the bear with this village. She's been their protector for centuries,” Kagome answered.
 
Sango sighed. “I know. But before I met you, InuYasha, and Shippou, I might have done the same thing. We were raised to believe that nearly all youkai were evil and should be exterminated. It was so easy for me to believe Naraku when he told me that InuYasha had destroyed my village. I did not believe it when InuYasha would not kill me when I was trying to kill him.”
 
“He could smell that you were soaked in your own blood because you were badly injured. Fortunately, Naraku thought you were besting him and left. He had no idea that InuYasha didn't want to fight you at all, and was trying not to harm you,” Kagome replied.
 
“I know. I am lucky that you took care of me and allowed me to come with you. I am still sorry about my behavior from before. I just could not have stood it if your heart had been crushed again. You are like a sister to me,” Sango said softly.
 
“You are to me, too,” Kagome responded.
 
They fell silent as Kagome ducked her head in the water to wet it before she reached for her shampoo that was sitting on the ledge by the bath. She poured a liberal amount into her palm and passed the bottle to Sango. Kagome noticed that Sango was staring at her shoulder, and then remembered that this was the first time Sango had a chance to see her mating mark.
 
“Is that…”Sango started.
 
“Yes, it is. But we probably shouldn't talk about it here,” Kagome replied.
 
Sango nodded her head in understanding. They were alone in the bath, but no telling who might be able to overhear what was said.
 
Sango changed the subject instead. “What do you think Shippou is up to?”
 
“I hope he is thinking about his bad behavior and why he forced me to punish him. I wish he had just followed instructions so he could have come along on the next trip. I hope Kaede can find a way to get through to him while he is there, and can keep him out of trouble,” Kagome answered.
 
“That would be an accomplishment, would it not?” Sango giggled.
 
“Yeah, it would.” Kagome laughed with her.
 
 
 
Miroku had not said anything since he and InuYasha had climbed into the warm bath. While InuYasha would rather have bathed with his mate, he knew it wasn't a good idea in a strange village. So here he was with the monk, whom InuYasha noticed had been staring intently at his arm.
 
“What?!” The hanyou finally said in annoyance.
 
“Is that your…”
 
“Don't finish that, Monk,” InuYasha said with a glare.
 
“InuYasha?” Miroku asked, with a great deal of hesitancy in his voice. “What did you mean today?”
 
“What do you mean, what did I mean?” InuYasha asked.
 
“What did you mean when you said that the priest had sealed you,” Miroku asked so quietly that InuYasha would not have been able to hear him if he had human hearing.
 
“I…I…I…I meant he…he…he sealed…sealed me in that cave,” InuYasha stammered.
 
“I know what I heard, InuYasha. And that was not what you said. Did he literally seal you?” Miroku asked, this time with a great deal of concern.
 
“I don't want to discuss it, Monk,” InuYasha replied, his ears now plastered to his head.
 
“May Buddha forgive us,” Miroku said softly. No wonder Kagome had been so upset with them, and InuYasha as well, though he tried to hide it, if that was what really had happened. Miroku could not even imagine a fate so horrible as to what that priest had tried. For once, he decided to drop it and not bring it up again unless it was necessary.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah, monk?” InuYasha could tell that that subject had been dropped.
 
“Are we heading back to the village tomorrow?” Miroku asked.
 
“Keh, unless we hear rumors of any jewel shards. Do you want to check around this village before we leave here and see if you can pick up anything?” InuYasha asked.
 
“That is a good idea. This is a fair sized village and they probably get a large number of travelers coming through. I will check around in the morning and see what I can find out. Do you want to come along?” Miroku responded.
 
“Feh. They probably wouldn't talk around me. Take Sango with you. Also, you better make certain that the priest isn't going to cause more problems for the headman. I don't think he was happy about our interference, and we don't want him to make trouble for the elder. Kenmei seems like a good man,” InuYasha replied.
 
“Good idea. What about Kagome?”
 
“She was really tired after saving the bear. We'll let her sleep late in the morning if she wants to. I'll stay and watch over her,” InuYasha answered.
 
“Are you going to tell us what really happened out there today?” Miroku asked very softly.
 
“Not here,” was all InuYasha would say.
 
Miroku fell silent. He took that to mean that they might talk about it when they were away from prying eyes and ears.
 
 
The four had finally returned to their room after their bath. InuYasha was actually grateful when the monk told the headman that the four of them had traveled together for some time and were used to sharing quarters when necessary. If they had been put up in two separate rooms, then the girls would have been expected to sleep in one, and the guys in the other. This way, InuYasha would still be near his mate.
 
Kagome was thinking the same thing, except that she had decided she wanted to at least sleep in InuYasha's arms. There was less chance of either of the others hearing his nightmares if she was already in his grasp. The miko knew the biggest obstacle to overcome would be actually convincing her mate that it was all right to show that much affection to her in front of the others. However, she wouldn't bring it up until it was time to retire for the night.
 
 
 
They were enjoying a pleasant dinner with the headman and his wife. Though simple, the meal was hot and filling and the group was grateful. The servant had even produced a bowl of fish for Kirara and laughed when she mewed her thanks as it was placed in front of her.
 
They had been talking about nothing in particular when their host finally asked, “What brought you to our village?”
 
“We had received news of the bear youkai and its change in behavior. We thought it might have something to do with the demon we have been after,” Miroku responded.
 
“How is that?” the headman asked.
 
“We seek a particularly evil demon that enjoys ruining the lives of others. He has been known to plant a shard of the Shikon no Tama into a demon in order to change its behavior and to control its movements. When we heard about the bear youkai that lives outside your village, we thought it might have been one of his tricks. Instead, it was the meddling of that priest that caused her to act the way she did. It was amazing that she did not harm anyone in spite of the pain she was in,” Miroku answered.
 
Their host nodded in understanding before he asked, “How is it that such an unusual group was brought together? It is a bit strange to see a demon slayer, monk, and miko traveling with a hanyou and youkai.”
 
“We each have the same enemy and have joined together to fight him. He is as strong as he is evil. He is responsible for many deaths and ruined lives. To find him, we have been searching for rumors of jewel shards. He is after them as well, so sooner or later we will come across him,” Miroku replied, before he asked, “Have you heard any strange rumors coming from other villages? We are looking of any hint of where he may be.”
 
The others all nodded in agreement and looked intently at the headman, waiting for his answer.
 
The elder rubbed his chin between his thumb and forefinger and looked thoughtful before he replied, “There is something strange going on in a village that is a couple of days to the northwest of us. We have had a number of travelers come here that were fleeing from something in that area. Some said it was a youkai, and others said it was a ghost. All they knew for certain was that people were being killed or had just completely vanished. You might ask around the village. I'm sure some of the others that have had more contact with the travelers could help you.”
 
“Keh. Miroku, you and Sango should ask around in the morning. See what you can find out,” InuYasha finally spoke. He had been silent throughout dinner.
 
“Do you still want me to check around regarding the other matter?” Miroku asked.
 
“Keh. Make sure that priest isn't going to cause any trouble,” InuYasha responded.
 
“What do you mean?” their host asked.
 
InuYasha nodded at Miroku, so the monk answered, “That priest is a troublemaker. We are afraid that he did not take kindly to our interference and may try to cause problems for you. We want to make sure he is not up to anything before we leave.”
 
“So you have run across him before,” Kenmei said thoughtfully.
 
“InuYasha has,” Kagome answered, anger again in her voice.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha agreed softly.
 
 
 
They thanked Kenmei and his wife again for dinner before they returned to their room for the evening. They discovered that three additional futons had been brought in, and screens placed between them to give each person at least a little privacy. A small smile crossed Kagome's face as she looked at the arrangements. This might not be as difficult as she originally expected.
 
InuYasha told them that he and Miroku would take the futons at either end, and the girls the ones in the middle. Of course Kirara would share Sango's mat with her and curled up next to her after the demon slayer had stretched out on her bedding.
 
Kagome had put on her tank-top and shorts pajama set she had brought along for the warm evenings, and lay down on her futon. She waited until InuYasha had blown out the oil lamp for the night after everyone had settled in, and then quietly padded around the screen that separated her from her mate. She discovered that her night vision was better than she remembered as she joined InuYasha on his bedding. He threw the sheet back so she could lay down with him, and then pulled it back over them. Neither saying a word, he gave her a soft kiss before she snuggled back into him with his arms wrapped protectively around her. Spooned together, they both drifted off to sleep.
 
Kagome woke sometime during the night to InuYasha whispering her name through ragged breaths. He had her clutched so tightly in his arms it was almost painful. Kagome reached back with her free hand and managed to reach his ear and started to alternate between rubbing it, and then scratching behind it, until InuYasha loosened his grip and his breathing started to even out. InuYasha then surprised the miko when his hand traced up under her top and he started to stroke her breast instead. Her breath hitched when Kagome felt his other hand reach under her waistband and quickly work its way down to her increasingly wet folds. Before she knew it, Kagome was pulling off her pajama bottoms and helping InuYasha to free himself from his hakama and fundoshi. She gasped in pleasure when she felt him drive into her from behind as his hand reached around and started to rub her now-swollen nub. The only sounds were of their panting and then the grunt from InuYasha as he exploded to fill his mate with the heat from his loins. Kagome sighed in contentment as she rubbed InuYasha's arms that were again wrapped around her. The couple went back to sleep with him still buried deep within her, oblivious to the others in the room.
 
Kagome woke once again to the feeling of InuYasha thrusting into her as they lay spooned together on their sides. Kagome thought it was over too soon, for this time he pulled away after he had emptied himself into her, and then dropped down to gently clean her up with his tongue. InuYasha silently helped her back into her shorts before he wrapped his fundoshi and put his hakama back on. When the others woke in the morning, they would find the two asleep spooned together, dressed as though nothing had ever happened. Only Kirara was any wiser, and she wouldn't be telling anyone.
 
 
 
The following morning, servants came in with a breakfast of rice and soup for everyone. The screens and three of the futons were also removed from the room while they ate. InuYasha had asked that one be left so Kagome could go back to sleep if she wanted to after breakfast. The ordeal the day before had really drained her, and he gently told her to go and lay back down after she ate. He would stay with her while Sango and Miroku went to see what they could learn in the village.
 
Kagome only feebly protested lying back down after she had eaten her breakfast. In truth, she was still exhausted from the day before. She was also confused because she had tried reaching out to InuYasha again with her mind, but not been able to get through to him. There must be some trick to it that she would have to discover. She decided it would have to wait until they were out of the village, and gratefully lay back down. InuYasha pulled the sheet up over her and sat back against the wall, Tessaiga against his chest. He would remain alert while his mate slept.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
To the north, the prince of the wolf demon tribe had been brought word of a strange youkai that was attacking a human village, almost daily. No one had actually seen the invader; well, no one that lived. However, there were reports of many disappearances and deaths, and there was a large, dangerous, evil aura that emanated from the area. It was more powerful than any felt prior to its appearance near the village. Still looking for clues of Naraku, and with no other to go on, Kouga headed towards the village, Ginta and Hakkaku racing after him.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Miroku thought it was his good luck that he had managed to convince Sango to leave her giant boomerang in their room with InuYasha and Kagome. Of course he couldn't get too carried away - she still had the blade that she kept concealed up her sleeve. Still, getting slapped for his wandering hand didn't hurt nearly as much as getting pummeled in the head by Hiraikotsu did.
 
Miroku had earned two slaps so far from Sango, though now she was huffing because he was flirting with a pretty young girl.
 
`I cannot believe that monk!' Sango thought to herself as she waited for Miroku to `interrogate' the girl. `What could she possibly know?'
 
“Thank you. May they road before you be safe,” Miroku said before he asked, “And may I ask you… Ow!”
 
“That is enough, Houshi,” Sango said as she tugged Miroku away by his ear, like a naughty child. “She is too young to bear your child!”
 
“Sango, dear, I was only going to ask her when they were leaving this village,” Miroku said indignantly.
 
“Yeah, right,” Sango muttered in response. “Have you found out anything that is actually useful?”
 
“She and her mother fled their village after her father and brother went hunting and did not return. There have been a number of other stories about people either going out never to return or being found dead and slashed to ribbons. They had a village priest, but he was one of the first to vanish. They do not know if he was killed or captured. They do not believe he ran away because he had been their priest for many years. They believe he went after the evil when he first sensed its presence, but they have not seen him since,” the monk responded.
 
“How about the priest that tried to kill the bear youkai here? Have you found any news of him?” Sango asked as they started back towards the headman's home.
 
“It appears that he decided to move on. He tried to convince others in the village that their headman was evil, consorting with youkai, hanyou, and dark miko. But, apparently, the elder is well liked and well respected. He has been the leader for this village for many, many years, and no one who knows him would turn against him. They think the priest headed towards the village that is having the problems we were told about. He convinced a few others, mostly new to the area, to travel with him to battle the evil that is there. He seems determined to find something and kill it,” Miroku answered seriously.
 
Sango sighed, “I guess we had better let InuYasha and Kagome know. We should probably go and check it out for ourselves and find out if there are any jewel shards involved. Even if not, it sounds like they have a problem they need some help with. I do not know if that priest will help or create more trouble there. I hope he does not get himself and a bunch of innocent people killed.”
 
They were approaching the headman's home when Miroku lost the battle with his hand once again. Their return was announced by Slap!! “Hentai!”
 
“But Sango, dear, you know my hand is cursed,” Miroku said mournfully as he rubbed the handprint on his face.
 
“I know, they both are. I do not know which curse is worse,” Sango replied. “Why do you have to be such a lecher? Why do you have to keep grabbing my rear? Just once, could you not do something like take my hand?”
 
Sango blushed. She hadn't meant to say that last part out loud. She was saved when a servant slid open the door to allow them to enter.
 
Miroku's mouth gaped open like a fish out of water. He heard what she had said. Did Sango actually mean it? He was still pondering her words as they followed the servant back to the room they had used.
 
 
 
They returned to the room to find InuYasha watching over his mate, who was still asleep. The hanyou glared at Miroku so that he didn't sit down too close to Kagome, or well, at least to her rear end.
 
Sango had sat down directly across from InuYasha at Kagome's side and said softly, “Wow, she was really worn out, was she not?”
 
“Keh. We probably should have waited a little longer before we started traveling again, but she said she was ready. I think she was going a little stir-crazy at home,” InuYasha responded, equally as soft. Of course, Kagome wasn't the only one bored in the future, but he really hadn't pushed her to come back. She was his mate now, and her health was more important than jewel shards. Of course the fact she didn't feel right `making love,' as she put it, to him with her grandfather in the house hadn't had anything to do with her desire to return to the past.
 
Kagome started to stir and stretched as she yawned. She opened her eyes to find three pairs staring back at her with concern. “What's the matter, guys? How long did I sleep?” Kagome asked.
 
“Long enough for us to find out what is going on, or at least as much as we could,” Sango responded. “I think it is almost time for lunch.”
 
“Really? I was out for that long?” Kagome asked with another yawn.
 
“Keh. It's all right. You needed the rest and they needed to find out some things. I was just telling them we may have started out too soon. I'm not sure you were fully recovered yet,” InuYasha said.
 
Kagome started to sit up, and InuYasha put his hand in the middle of her back while he held her hand to help her up.
 
“Oi, are you sure you are all right?” InuYasha asked with apprehension.
 
“They would probably let us stay another night if you still need to rest,” Sango added.
 
“No, I'll be okay. I just need to get the cobwebs out. What did you find out in the village?” Kagome asked.
 
“There is indeed something strange happening in the village to the northwest of here. People have either disappeared completely, or been found dead, slashed to bits. And that is not all…” Miroku responded.
 
“Well, spit it out. What is it, Monk?” InuYasha asked.
 
“That priest has rounded up some young men that were new to the area and taken them with him to that village. He plans to conquer whatever is creating the problems there. He seems determined to find something and kill it. We were commenting that we hope he does not get himself or some of those he convinced to go with him killed in the process,” Miroku answered.
 
“I guess we had better get ready and head out, then. We still have a lot of daylight left to travel,” Kagome said.
 
“Are you sure, Kagome?” InuYasha asked his mate.
 
“Yes. We'd better get started, though we need to thank our hosts for their hospitality. I'd also like to check on the bear on the way out of town if we see her and she will let me,” Kagome replied.
 
They were gathering up their belongings when there was knock before the headman entered, followed by a servant. “We thought that you would be preparing to leave, so we brought you some rations you can take with you.” Kenmei nodded to the servant who handed Sango a package. “There are rice balls along with some dried meats and vegetables for you. We cannot thank you enough for what you have done for our village. You will be welcome here any time.”
 
“And thank you for your gracious hospitality. We were honored that we were able to assist you,” Miroku replied as he bowed to the village elder, and the others joined him.
 
“We plan to travel towards the village to the northwest you told us about. Is there anything in particular we should know?” This time Kagome spoke.
 
“The road from this village to that one is well-traveled. There are also several huts that can be used by travelers along the way. Just be careful of bandits. With all of the people fleeing the other village, they may be about looking to relieve them of their belongings. When you get there, the headman's name is Ougon, if he is not one of the ones that has been killed or has vanished. If you see him, tell him that I hope you will be able to help his village as you helped ours. Tell him not to give up hope,” Kenmei responded.
 
“Thank you, Kenmei-sama, for everything you have done. Thank you again for providing us with food and shelter,” Miroku said. “It is time that we go on our way.”
 
“I do have one more question for you,” Kenmei said hesitantly, “I heard you tell that priest and the others that you travel with the hanyou, yet you do most of the speaking for the group.”
 
Miroku looked at InuYasha, who nodded at him to answer. “InuYasha is indeed our leader, but is a man of few words.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Kenmei nodded in understanding, and then asked, “Do you know which road to take?”
 
“Yes. We learned that while we were out this morning,” Sango responded.
 
InuYasha had picked up Kagome's backpack and thrown it over his shoulder. Sango had her Hiraikotsu in its familiar position over her shoulder. They bid the headman goodbye, and headed out.
 
They had almost passed the fields that surrounded the village before the road entered the forest, when the huge bear youkai lumbered in front of them.
 
“Myoujou,” Kagome said softly, “Are you alright?”
 
Myoujou held out her paw where the fur had been burned off by the ofuda as Kagome walked up to examine it. She stroked the giant paw while she ran her fingers through the fur that had grown back.
 
“I'm glad to see that you are well. The headman said that they are sorry for what happened to you, and they hope you can forgive them. That priest has moved on to another village,” Kagome continued.
 
Myoujou nodded her head in understanding and made a sound that resembled a cross between a roar and a meow, and then lumbered back into her forest.
 
“Wow,” Sango and Miroku said together in amazement.
 
Kirara mewed in agreement.
 
InuYasha joined his mate. “It was different this time. You spoke out loud.”
 
Kagome nodded her head in the direction of the road to indicate she wanted to continue walking.
 
“Will you tell us now? How did the bear know yesterday that you would not hurt her, and how did you learn her name?” Miroku asked the question he tried to ask the day before, when he had been cut off by InuYasha.
 
Kagome looked at her mate, and he nodded, letting her know it was safe to talk now.
 
“I don't know exactly what happened. I reached out with my aura to touch the bear's, and then I heard her screaming in my mind. She said that I was like him, which placed the ofuda on her. I told her I wasn't, and that I wanted to help. When I asked her name, she told me it was `Myoujou.' But I don't know how it happened. I was able to reach InuYasha yesterday, too. But when I tried again this morning, I couldn't. I don't know what the trick is,” Kagome responded.
 
“InuYasha, did you know something like that could happen?” Miroku asked.
 
InuYasha shook his head. “We've been able read each other's feelings better, and we managed to agree on some things without actually talking about them, but nothing like what happened yesterday when I heard her call me in my head. I don't know what happened, either.”
 
“I just know that I have never seen anything like it,” Sango stated. “You actually spoke with her and InuYasha through your mind?”
 
“Yes. I just wish I knew how I did it,” Kagome said.
 
“Well, you know before then you were picking up on the pain the bear felt from the ofuda. Maybe it had something to do with your natural empathy for others. Even though you reached out to her, she did speak to you first,” Miroku said thoughtfully.
 
“But then how did I do the same with InuYasha?” Kagome asked.
 
“The bear probably helped to open your mind and it is probably something you can learn to control. It came out when needed, as your other powers often have. We never really know what you are truly capable of until you are pushed. It may be a latent ability you had, that has been strengthened, or it may be a trait you picked up from InuYasha, even if he was not aware of it. Perhaps it is something that you and he can practice on together,” Miroku said seriously. “Maybe it is something that you can not force, but will work when you relax and are not trying to make it happen.”
 
Kagome nodded in understanding as they walked along the road in silence.
 
 
 
It wasn't dusk yet when they came across a hut that appeared to be abandoned, such as what Kenmei had told them were used by travelers passing through. Deciding they would prefer to have a roof over their heads for the evening, rather than sleeping out in the open, InuYasha went in and checked it out, and reappeared without the oversized backpack.
 
“It isn't in use. We can stay here tonight,” the hanyou said before he added, “You get a fire started, and I'll find something for supper. Kagome, your backpack is inside.”
 
Kagome replied, “Thanks, InuYasha. We'll get some firewood so we'll be ready to cook dinner when you get back.”
 
InuYasha took off, first circling the area to make certain that there wasn't anything hostile in the area. However, due to all of the travelers that had been through recently, there wasn't any game readily available. The constant amount of human traffic through the region had driven smaller game, like rabbits and boar, away from the area. He ended up venturing further away from his mate and companions than he had intended to.
 
 
 
Sango and Miroku volunteered to go and collect some more firewood. Fortunately, there was enough left against the wall of the hut to start a fire in the pit in the center. They told Kagome to go ahead and start the fire and tend to it while they gathered enough wood to last through the evening. Though the miko didn't want to admit it, the other two could tell she was tired from their partial day's travel. They probably should have stayed at the headman's home one more night for Kagome to recover properly, but also understood her desire to get on the road to see if the rumors led to any trace of Naraku or a jewel shard.
 
Since Sango refused to go into a strange wood without her boomerang, she was picking up the available pieces of wood and placing them in the monk's arms. Because the area had been pretty well picked over, they were straying further away from the hut than they had intended to.
 
“Houshi?”
 
“Yes, Sango?”
 
“Do you really believe that Kagome was able to speak to the bear youkai through her mind?”
 
“Do you not?” Miroku responded.
 
“Yes, but it just seems so unbelievable. I have never seen anything like it,” Sango replied as she continued to pick up wood and place it on the stack Miroku was carrying.
 
“I know, but there is no doubt in my mind that it happened. I do believe that she and the youkai spoke to each other, even if we do not really understand how. There just is not any other reasonable explanation of what happened,” Miroku replied before he asked, “Do you think we have enough wood yet?”
 
“Yes, I guess we do. We had better head back. We walked further away than I thought we would,” the demon slayer responded.
 
 
 
Kagome was humming to herself as she cleared the debris in the hut away from the fire pit, and started a fire so that they could cook dinner when InuYasha returned. She then went and rolled out her sleeping bag and pulled a book out of her backpack so that she could study. The miko was just about to sit down to read while she waited on the others when she heard,
 
“Well, well, well, what have we here?”
 
 
To be continued…
 
^~^
Kenmei = Wisdom
Oogun = Golden