InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 2): Awakenings ❯ The Road Home (Part 1) ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I still do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. However, any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks to those of you who take the time to leave a review. The more I get, the faster I tend to write.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Awakenings
 
 
Chapter 14: The Road Home (Part 1)
 
 
There was a flurry of activity as InuYasha and Kagome returned to the village. A large pig had been on a spit roasting for most of the day, and the majority of the activity was going on in that area. It appeared that there was an abundance of rice, vegetables, and sake being accumulated in the clearing at the edge of the village. Apparently, this is where the celebration was to be held.
 
“InuYasha! Kagome!” they heard Sango and Miroku call as they approached. The miko and hanyou changed direction and headed towards them.
 
“Can you believe that all of this is for you?” Miroku asked.
 
“Feh. It is for all of us, including my brother and even the toad,” InuYasha stated, though he did not mean to sound ungrateful.
 
Before anyone said anything, Kagome clarified, “I think he meant that the townspeople are grateful to all of us for helping get rid of the youkai. InuYasha isn't taking the credit for it alone. Right?”
 
“Keh. It took all of us, including my brother and even the wimpy wolf,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
“We understand, InuYasha,” Miroku said.
 
“Oi, Monk.”
 
“Yes, InuYasha?”
 
“If there are any speeches to be made, you get to handle them,” InuYasha commented.
 
“Are you certain, InuYasha?” Miroku asked.
 
“Keh. You have done just fine so far, no reason to fix what ain't broke,” the hanyou told him.
 
The monk replied, “I am honored, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha looked at his three companions, “And don't get carried away with the sake tonight. We need to head out early in the morning. We don't want any…” InuYasha looked at his mate.
 
“Hangovers?” Kagome offered.
 
“Keh. Hangovers. You want a clear head when we leave.”
 
Miroku looked dejected, “All right, InuYasha.”
 
 
It appeared that every living soul in the village had come to the clearing to join the feast in celebration of the defeat of the snake youkai. All of the townspeople were there, as well as the horsemen that were in the village to trade the studs for broodmares.
 
A platform had been raised at one end of the clearing so that the guests of honor were a couple of feet above the ground. Kagome and InuYasha were actually in the center, with Sesshomaru next to his brother, and then Rin and Jaken next to him. Sango sat next to Kagome with Kirara between her and the monk (the last thing she needed was for him to feel her up in front of all of these people), and then Miroku on the end. It seemed as though half of the villagers wanted the opportunity to serve the guests, so there was an endless supply of meat, fruits, vegetables, rice, and sake that was passed in front of them. They each took one cup of sake to be polite, but then refused any more. As much as the monk would have liked to have more, he heeded InuYasha's words and did not get drunk.
 
Apparently, though, Sesshomaru had given no such order to Jaken. They heard a thud and looked down the platform to see that he had fallen over backwards and was now sound asleep on his back. Sesshomaru just shook his head. Rin took the mat that Jaken had been sitting on and tugged it out from under him, and then gently placed it over him.
 
When it appeared that everyone had food and drink and most were on their second or third round, Ougon stood before his villagers. Everyone fell silent as they waited for him to speak.
 
“My friends, we have come together tonight to celebrate the life that has been restored to our village. You have all been introduced to our special guests for this evening. It is thanks to them that you have all been able to return to your homes, and we have been able to resume our lives. For there is no doubt in my mind, our village would have ceased to exist due to the attacks of the youkai.
 
“We have been blessed in many ways, and we have overcome much. While we lost our dear priest Hikari, the Monk Miroku set an altar for him, where so many offerings have been made that he will be sure to watch over us for years to come. Many of our men who fell were brought back to us, and are with us here tonight. I, myself, was ill, but was restored to health by the miko. So many of us have benefited from the actions of the group before you.
 
“We have also been made an offer that the village elders have decided was too good to turn down. Since we no longer have a priest like Hikari, Lord Sesshomaru made an offer for our village to become part of the Western Lands, where we would receive his protection and also the benefits of trading within those lands. We have already seen an advantage of this before we even decided to accept, for it was Lord Sesshomaru who traveled to the neighboring village to let our women and children know it was time to come home and then to the village where the fine stallions you might have seen in the paddocks came from, so that we can continue our breeding program. We look forward to many prosperous years to come. Thank you for coming tonight to celebrate with us. We know that our guests plan to leave early in the morning, and must retire soon. Please join me in thanking them. We hope they will come our way again.”
 
The noise was deafening as the crowd cheered. InuYasha actually ducked his head as his ears were assaulted by the noise. He also blushed when he realized that they were actually cheering for the lot of them. The hanyou was so used to being despised that he had really come to appreciate the people in this village. He wished that there were others like them, who did not automatically wish him dead because he was a hanyou. And while he was still afraid to reach over and touch Kagome as a mate might in front of them, at least he did not fear them attempting to kill him. For once, someone had actually appreciated what they, what he, had done for them. Not only that, but InuYasha was seated next to his brother, who no longer wished him dead. He had his mate on one side, and his brother on the other. It was the closest thing he'd had to a family since his mother had died.
 
 
 
They awakened not long after dawn the next morning and sleepily yawned and stretched as they dressed and packed so that they could be on their way. A soft knock at the door revealed the innkeeper when the door was opened.
 
“I know you said you wanted to be on your way early this morning, so we have prepared a bundle of food for you to take with you. There are rice balls along with some meats and vegetables here. I hope that you will find them satisfactory,” he told them.
 
“Thank you, sir. We are more than grateful for this, as well as the shelter and food that you have provided these last few days,” Miroku responded.
 
“No, it is we that must thank you, for surely our village would have ceased to exist if you had not rid us of the snake youkai. We will be forever in your debt. Please know, that any time you pass through this way, there will always be a room for you at this inn,” the innkeeper said.
 
“We greatly appreciate it, sir, though that really is not necessary.” It was Kagome speaking this time.
 
“Actually, it is. Part of the deal that we made with Lord Sesshomaru is that a room will always be available for any of the group that saved the village when they pass through. I do not consider it a burden, but an honor for I would have no business, and therefore no inn, if you had not come when you did. My wife and I truly hope that we will see you again. I know that Ougon feels the same way,” he replied.
 
InuYasha had joined Kagome and the innkeeper bowed to them. “And remember, no matter how others may treat you elsewhere, you will always be welcome and respected in this village. We pride ourselves on judging others by their character, rather than who or what they are.”
 
InuYasha blushed, but bowed in return as he said, “Thank you.”
 
The innkeeper parted their company and then each took some of the food that was brought for their breakfast. The remainder was put away in Kagome's massive pack. InuYasha hoisted the backpack over his shoulder, and the group headed out.
 
They found Yuujin and Ougon waiting for them on the road that led out of the village. He gave them a speech similar to that of the innkeeper, and then bade them goodbye.
 
The road they took out of town was the one that led past the stables. They had to laugh at the sight of Ah-Un, who was peacefully grazing amongst the mares in the pasture. For the first time they noticed that part of the pasture was divided into paddocks, and the four stallions were each occupying one, trotting up and down the fence line to get a better look at the mares.
 
“I thought your brother was going after the youkai?” Sango asked as they continued past the stable.
 
“He left Jaken and Rin here and went after them alone. He'll come back for them once he has taken care of the problem,” InuYasha responded. “He can travel faster by himself.”
 
“And he probably didn't want to place Rin in any unnecessary danger,” Kagome added.
 
“He really does care for that little girl, does he not?” Sango asked.
 
“Just don't tell him that,” Kagome commented.
 
Kagome was walking alongside Sango and Miroku had dropped back by InuYasha. The two girls were chatting about the village they had just left, when InuYasha finally asked a question of the monk that had been nagging at him.
 
“Oi, Miroku.”
 
“Yes, InuYasha?”
 
“Do you remember before the battle with the snakes?”
 
“Remember what, InuYasha? A lot happened that day,” Miroku commented.
 
“When the priest tried to slap the ofuda on me, only it didn't work,” InuYasha clarified.
 
“Yes, I remember. What is it?” the monk responded.
 
“When it went up in a puff of smoke, you said something that I didn't understand. You said that I was protected by a spiritual power that was stronger than his. Is that something that I gained from Kagome?” InuYasha questioned.
 
“Yes and no,” Miroku answered.
 
Kagome and Sango had fallen silent. Kagome was interested in this as well. They dropped back alongside the hanyou and monk and Kagome asked, “Yeah, Miroku. What happened? Do you know? What do you mean, `yes and no'?”
 
“I do not feel spiritual power coming from InuYasha as I do from you, Kagome,” Miroku responded and continued, “I meant what I said that day. He is protected by a spiritual power that is greater than the priest's was. Did you not say that your souls had bonded you together as soul mates?”
 
“That is what Sesshomaru told us, but that had happened before we really became mates,” Kagome replied.
 
“Keh.” InuYasha agreed.
 
“As best as I can determine, once you completed the process and physically bonded, your aura now protects InuYasha. It will take someone very powerful to overcome it. In spite of his hatred, that priest still had a great deal of spiritual energy, and yet his ofuda was turned to dust. InuYasha will not be able to, say, fire a sacred arrow, but I am almost willing to bet that he could neutralize one aimed at him. However, I hope we do not have to test that to find out,” Miroku said seriously.
 
“What about when Tessaiga was glowing pink when he finished off the giant snake?” Kagome asked.
 
“It did?” the monk responded.
 
“Yes, it did,” Kagome told him.
 
“It was probably an extension of that protection. Did the snake not have three jewel shards?” Miroku asked.
 
Kagome and InuYasha nodded.
 
“Just guessing, I would say that the snake with three shards was going to be difficult to kill. Since you were right there with InuYasha, you may have projected extra energy to protect him and his sword in order to take down the snake. It is something else we will have to see if we can recreate under more controlled circumstances,” the monk offered.
 
“And what about the barrier InuYasha created when Kouga tried to grab me?” Kagome asked.
 
“I am not certain how that came about. I would say it is something he gained from you, but not in the form of spiritual energy,” Miroku answered.
 
“What do you mean, Houshi?” Sango asked.
 
“Well, we know that putting up a barrier is not something that only those with spiritual energy can do. For instance, Naraku can put up a strong barrier, but he had no spiritual energy, only great power from the number of demons he has absorbed and the portion of the Shikon no Tama that he has,” Miroku told them.
 
He was interrupted by a low growl.
 
“No, InuYasha, I am not comparing you to Naraku. I am simply making a comparison to show that a barrier can be created from something other than spiritual energy. It is also interesting that it appeared when you were more demon than human. And your barrier was not in the form of a bubble around you as most barriers are. Instead, yours was like your aura actually became a barrier directly around your body. I do not know if it is something you can learn to project to protect others around you, or if it is confined to your body alone. However, considering the way it worked with Kouga, it could be most useful in battle if you can learn to control it. You could go after your enemies unhindered, while your body remained protected from attack.”
 
“Keh.”
 
The group fell silent as they continued along the road, headed for home.
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru left shortly after the feast was completed to track the youkai that had attacked the men. He left Jaken and Rin at the inn with instructions to remain there until he returned for them. He would be able to travel faster alone. Vanishing into a ball of light, he flew to where the men told him they had been attacked. The area still had traces of the men's blood where they fell. Continuing on foot, he began to trail after the youkai that had dared attack those under his rule on his lands.
 
 
 
 
They had stopped for lunch around midday. Kagome was putting the remaining food away when they felt a demon approach them. Kirara quickly transformed and Sango stripped to her slayer outfit and hoisted Hiraikotsu, ready for battle. Kagome hurriedly grabbed her bow and threw her quiver over her shoulder, nocking an arrow while they waited.
 
“So, it is true, a miko traveling with a hanyou, monk and demon slayer. They did not say you were mated to the hanyou. No matter, the loss of your power will make it easier to take those jewel shards you carry,” the youkai stated.
 
Miroku looked up at the youkai and asked, “What makes you think she lost her power?”
 
“She has been spoiled by the hanyou. She is no longer pure; therefore she would have lost her spiritual energy. Miko do not even take human mates for fear of losing their power, and she chose a hanyou. She can't possibly have any energy to protect those shards any more. She is relying on a weak hanyou and two measly humans to protect her and them.”
 
The overgrown lizard youkai had closed his eyes and was laughing and missed that Kagome was growing rather angry at his words and was now glowing pink. Her arrow and bow were both immersed in her aura as well.
 
“Hey, you! I'm sick of reptiles! First snakes and now you, and you're just a big lizard! You think I'm weak, do you?” Kagome yelled.
 
InuYasha stayed next to his mate, but Sango and Miroku had taken a step back, making sure they were clear of Kagome's line of fire.
 
The lizard was still chuckling when he opened his eyes, which sprang wide-open when he saw Kagome was visibly glowing with her aura. “No matter, the shards will be mine!” he shouted as he lunged at the miko.
 
Kagome loosed her arrow and caught the lizard square in the chest. He gave one last scream as he was purified and turned to dust.
 
“Well, I guess you showed him,” Sango commented.
 
Kagome sighed. “Is this what we have to look forward to? More youkai coming after me because I have the shards and they think I don't have any power any more?”
 
InuYasha finally spoke, “He was weak himself, and couldn't tell that either you or Miroku have spiritual energy. That type of youkai would always come after you, anyway. They want the shards for more power because they have virtually none themselves. They've almost always underestimated me because I'm a hanyou. By the time they figure out that it doesn't matter, it's usually too late.”
 
“I don't know what's worse,” Kagome commented. “When they thought I was a dark miko that had all of you under my spell or that I'm a spoiled miko that has no power at all.”
 
They had gathered up their belongings, and Sango was dressed in her traveling clothes again, so they started back along the road towards home.
 
“You know, it will probably depend on the power of the youkai that comes after you, and not just what rumor they have heard,” Miroku offered.
 
“What do you mean, Monk?” InuYasha asked.
 
“I mean that a weak one like that youkai will probably assume what he did, that Kagome lost whatever powers she had when she mated with you. However, a youkai with more power, that can detect Kagome's aura, will probably think that she is a dark miko like the priest did, and that is why she kept her power in spite of being mated to you. You know, I wonder what Naraku will think?” Miroku pondered.
 
That brought a growl from InuYasha. Kagome took his hand and rubbed his palm with her thumb, calming him.
 
“What about what he thinks, Monk?” the hanyou asked.
 
“I mean, I wonder if he will think that something pushed Kagome over the edge, to the dark side, or if he will believe what most do - that she lost her purifying power when she gave herself to you. We have no clue as to where he is hiding, and therefore no idea of what rumors he might have heard. I guess we will not know until we locate him,” the monk answered.
 
The distant rumble of thunder caught everyone's attention as they looked up to see some very ominous black clouds gathering.
 
“Oi, we had better find some shelter. It looks like there is one hell of a storm coming our way,” InuYasha commented. “Kagome, you stay on the road with Miroku and Sango. I'll run up ahead and see if I can find anything.”
 
“Just be careful, InuYasha,” his mate said softly as the hanyou took off at a sprint.
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru caught up with the youkai that had killed the two men and taken the horses. The frightened horses were tied up and straining against their bridles, trying to pull free. The youkai were eating the men they had killed and carted away, first plunging into their soft bellies so that they had the men's entrails strung out between the bodies and their gaping mouths. It was no guess as to why the horses were terrified - these particular type of vermin liked their flesh fresh. They were probably going to start on the horses while they were still alive.
 
The beasts snarled at Sesshomaru when he approached. Their eyes flashed red as they hissed at him, sounding like angry cats. Though mammalian, these youkai were primitive and knew little more than to kill and feed. While they had enough sense to be afraid of the Demon Lord, they were not about to leave their kill. They turned towards Sesshomaru, thinking that the four of them could overpower him, when he released his whip and split them each in half. Tenseiga remained quiet by his side, and Sesshomaru realized that the bodies of the men had been too defiled to revive. Instead, he piled up the bodies of the youkai and set them on fire and then wrapped the bodies of the men up in the blankets from the horses' backs. Calming the animals enough to tie the bodies over their backs, he took the reins and led them, starting the long walk back to the village. There the men could be properly buried by their comrades.
 
 
 
 
“Come on, we need to hurry,” InuYasha said as he ran back towards the group. He leaned over so Kagome could hop on his back, and Kirara transformed so Miroku and Sango could ride her. InuYasha took off at a run towards their unknown destination.
 
Kagome could tell that something was bothering InuYasha but could not decipher what it might be. However, the reason became clear as he approached the shelter he had found in order for them to escape the rain. She heard him mutter, “All I could find was this fucking cave.”
 
“We had better grab some firewood before the bottom drops out!” Kagome called to the others as InuYasha let her down gently.
 
The others all took heed and immediately starting picking up pieces of wood and hauling them into the cave. Even though it was generally warm, within the confines of the cavern it would probably be cool and damp.
 
They had run inside as the large drops started to splatter to the ground, first slowly but then picking up in intensity and speed. Still, InuYasha was outside.
 
Kagome ran out to him, “Please, InuYasha, come in out of the rain. I don't want you to get sick.”
 
She felt the shudder that ran through the hanyou and reached up to rub his back. “Please, just come in enough so that you don't get soaked. You can't stay out here like this.”
 
“Feh. I'm not a weak human. A little rain won't hurt me.”
 
“But I am, and I won't leave you out here alone,” Kagome said quietly. “Please, I'll stay with you, just come in out of the rain.”
 
InuYasha sighed in defeat. He knew the miko by his side, his mate, was stubborn enough to stay out in the pouring rain with him, and she would get sick.
 
“Keh.” He turned and followed her in.
 
Miroku and Sango had watched the exchange in silence, wondering if Kagome would be able to get InuYasha to come into the confines of the cavern. They had set about making a fire to pull the chill out of the air, plus they knew that Kagome would need to get dry since she had been out in the rain with InuYasha.
 
InuYasha came in and sat down against the wall a few feet inside of the entrance. “I'll keep watch from here.”
 
Kagome sat down next to him, still dripping.
 
“Oi, wench, you need to dry off. Do you have any dry clothes?” the hanyou asked worriedly.
 
“I'm not any wetter than you are,” the miko responded softly.
 
InuYasha shrugged off his wet haori. “I'll put mine near the fire to dry if you'll do the same and put on some dry clothes.”
 
Miroku lit up. InuYasha was telling Kagome to undress in front of him. Unfortunately for the monk, Sango did not miss it.
 
“Hentai!” she yelled as she slapped him.
 
“You cannot blame me for…”
 
“Hentai!” This time Sango hit him with Hiraikotsu. The monk fell over with a thud.
 
“Now you can change into some dry clothes, Kagome,” the demon slayer stated.
 
Kagome nodded and started to pull a dry set out of her backpack. “You know, I was just going to suggest that one of you hold a blanket up so I could change behind it. I hope Miroku doesn't end up with brain damage.”
 
Kagome pulled out a towel and dried herself and her hair, after she had removed her wet clothing. She pulled on a dry shirt and a pair of sweats she had packed just in case it cooled off. The miko then took the towel to InuYasha and proceeded to rub his hair dry. The hanyou blushed as Kagome started feeling his body to make certain that his own clothes were not soaked through.
 
“Feh. My firerat caught the worst of it,” he stated, embarrassed at the attention he was receiving in front of the demon slayer and unconscious monk.
 
Kagome cupped his cheek in her hand and kissed him on the forehead. “I can't have you getting sick. You are my mate I need to take care of you, just as you do me.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Kagome knew that InuYasha was uncomfortable in the cave, and it was no real stretch to guess the reason why. She spread her sleeping bag out against the wall near the entrance where she would be close to him and pulled her blanket out to throw over herself. She would be comfortable enough sleeping on top of the sleeping bag and under the blanket and would be free enough to reach her hanyou if he needed her during the night. He had not really had any nightmares the last few nights since the priest had been killed, but the miko would not be surprised if staying in this cave did not trigger them again if he fell asleep. She knew he would be embarrassed if the others heard him even though she was fairly certain they would understand.
 
When Miroku came to it was to find that Kagome had changed into a dry outfit, and Sango was glaring at him. The monk decided he was actually lucky. It was a good thing that Sango had been the one to catch him before InuYasha did. A shudder ran through Miroku at the thought of what the hanyou would do to him for trying to see his mate naked.
 
They talked about the road before them and what dangers might be encountered along the way. Now that Kagome had three additional shards, she was bound to attract even more attention than before. They looked out of the entrance of the cavern, and watched the rain pour down. They hoped it would let up by morning so that they could be on their way again. They ate in silence as they wondered what might lie ahead of them.
 
Kagome had pulled her blanket up over her and settled in next to her mate. InuYasha was sitting with his back to the wall, Tessaiga across his chest. He planned to keep watch throughout the night. Fortunately, he was well rested from their stay at the inn.
 
At some point in the night, InuYasha must have drifted off. Kagome woke, feeling his anguish as he muttered, “So damp, so cold...Kagome...Kagome...”
 
Kagome sat up and snuggled next to him, trying to let the hanyou know she was there. Deciding a more direct approach might work better when she realized he was still clutching his sword, the miko moved around so that she was in his lap.
 
That received the desired result. InuYasha wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close, burying his face in the crook of her neck while he murmured her name. Kagome thought it was lucky she happened to think of making certain the blanket was within her reach. Grabbing a corner, she pulled it up so that she was able to cover them both, concealing them from the eyes of the others if they happened to stir.
 
Kagome shifted and settled against his chest, moving his sword a bit and wrapping her free arm around his, which now had her around the waist. She tried not to giggle as the hanyou snuffled in her ear, apparently assuring himself that she was really there. She just hoped he realized they were not alone and that the others were only a few meters away. Memories of the dream that had brought them together played through her mind, and she smiled as she snuggled against him and drifted back to sleep.
 
The rest of the night was quiet. Once Kagome had settled into InuYasha's lap, his breathing evened out and his nightmare seemed to have dissipated. When he woke, he did not have to ask his mate why she was in his lap. Instead, he breathed in her calming scent and let her sleep. He also moved his hand, which he realized had worked its way up under her shirt and was cupping her breast. He blushed even though there was no one awake to see it.
 
The rain had let up and all the hanyou could smell now was the clean fresh scent of everything that had been washed by the torrent. InuYasha reached for the blanket that had partially fallen and tugged it back up to cover the miko up to her shoulders. Settling back against the wall, he closed his eyes and waited for the others to wake.
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru had walked throughout the night, stopping only to let the horses briefly rest or water when they passed a stream or pond. He found himself at the edge of the village at dawn and solemnly walked through town, leading the two horses with the bodies across their backs. He was not surprised to find the innkeeper, who he knew to be an early riser, coming out to meet him and looking equally as solemn. The innkeeper understood what the bundles across the horses' backs were.
 
Softly, the innkeeper said, “Lord Sesshomaru, if you will wait here, I will fetch Daiku.”
 
The innkeeper went to the horse master from the other village and roused him from his bed. The man was already awake and yawned as he pulled on his clothes. In their brief stay here, Daiku had learned enough about the man who woke him to know that he had not come to drag him out of bed at this hour lightly. He silently followed him through the inn and then out to meet the Demon Lord.
 
Daiku bowed when he approached Lord Sesshomaru. “My Lord, I see that you have recovered our men and our horses. For that I am grateful. We apologize for the inconvenience.”
 
“It was no inconvenience, but part of the duties of the Lord of the Western Lands. The youkai that attacked you on the road are no more. Their bodies were burned where they fell as a warning to others that would consider the same. The bodies of your men were brought back so that you could give them a proper burial. This Sesshomaru could not revive your comrades for they were too far-gone. The horses appeared unharmed since they were reached in time. They would probably have been the next meal if the youkai had lived. The horses have had little rest since they were found yesterday. You may want to take them to the stable once you take care of your fallen men.”
 
“Everything will be taken care of. Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru.” Daiku bowed again as two of his other men came out to join him. Together, they took the horses and followed the innkeeper, who told them that he would show them were the men's bodies could be held until they were ready for burial.
 
Sesshomaru went to the suite of rooms that they had used during their stay. He would collect Rin and Jaken and after breakfast, head for home. Lord Sesshomaru would check in at his castle before he headed towards the village by InuYasha's forest. While home, he would send messengers out to his spies to see if there was any news of Naraku. The way the dark hanyou had simply vanished was unsettling. The Taiyoukai knew he had to be up to something, even if he was in hiding like a coward.
 
 
 
The others had not said anything when they woke the following morning and realized that Kagome was in InuYasha's lap. His golden eyes were open, so he was obviously awake even if the little miko was still asleep.
 
Looking outside, Sango commented, “It looks like the rain has stopped.”
 
“Keh. It finally let up sometime during the night. We will just have to be careful on the road since everything is wet,” the hanyou responded softly, not willing to wake his mate until he had to.
 
About that time Kagome started to wake and stretched, accidentally hitting InuYasha in the face. “Oops, sorry, InuYasha. I forgot where I was.”
 
InuYasha turned loose of her so she could stand. “It would take more than that to hurt me, wench.”
 
“Still, I really shouldn't make it a habit to start the day by whacking you in the nose,” the miko said as she leaned over to kiss him on the cheek and ruffle his hair.
 
The hanyou blushed.
 
Miroku interrupted, “So, what should we have for breakfast this fine morning, before we hit the road again?”
 
“Well, we have either the food the innkeeper sent with us, or Ramen,” Kagome responded.
 
“Ramen?” the hanyou perked up.
 
“Since we already have the fire going, why don't we all have Ramen?” Sango suggested. “We can keep the other food for lunch or dinner.”
 
“Ramen it is,” Kagome responded as she pulled out a pot to boil water along with a cup of the instant noodles for each of them.
 
Kagome tried not to giggle as InuYasha hungrily slurped up his noodles. Though his table manners had improved quite a lot over time, he still ate the instant meal with a gusto that could not be rivaled.
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru had collected Rin and Jaken and then headed out towards the stable to fetch his dragon. He did not even need to say a word as the two-headed dragon looked up from the sweet grass and started towards him. He simply flew over the fence to come out and meet the Demon Lord. One of the men in the stable yelled at Sesshomaru that he would get the dragon's tack, and came out a few minutes later with it. While he was waiting, Sesshomaru noticed that Daiku was at the fence with some of his other men, once again going over the mares and appraising which to take with them.
 
“Jaken, Rin, wait here,” he commanded and walked over to the horse master.
 
“Daiku.”
 
The man turned and bowed, “Yes, My Lord?”
 
“That other horse that this Sesshomaru retrieved for you, not the breeding stud but the other,” the Taiyoukai clarified.
 
“What about him, My Lord? We had not intended to use him for stud, but only as a draft animal,” Daiku responded.
 
“He is not as ordinary as he looks. There is something about his heart, his blood. Do a test breeding with one of the mares you take back. He will probably surprise you with what he produces. This Sesshomaru knows that your human nose cannot sense it, but his blood smells like that of your Yuushou. He carries great power even if he does not exhibit it.”
 
Daiku bowed, “Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru. We were disappointed in his breeding as we tried to recreate Yuushou with it. We did not consider that he might not exhibit the qualities we hoped for himself, but might indeed pass them on. I will inform Umasuki when we return.”
 
The Demon Lord turned and saw that Ah-Un was ready for travel. “Rin, Jaken, come.”
 
And with that, Lord Sesshomaru headed home.
 
To be continued…