InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Truth ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shira ran back and forth, fussing over Kagome's hair and clothes and appearance, while Kagome stared dumbly at her reflection, taking in all the pampering. Servants helped to bathe her, clothe her, and do her hair, while her mother stood back and gave directions. Now the servants were gone, but Shira was insistent on adding a few touches.
 
“Done!” Shira exclaimed as she stood back to take in Kagome's appearance.
 
Kagome stood before her, clothed very similar to her own, just the colors were slightly off. The hakama had the same silver color, but the kimono was more of a dark purple shade, similar to the markings on Sesshomaru's garments. Her hair was left down with the exception of two small portions. The two pieces right on the sides of her face were twisted to form string like forms and then tied together at the back of Kagome's head.
 
“Come now, your father will be waiting.” Shira said as she walked over and lead Kagome out of the room.
 
Walking back the way they came, Shira led Kagome to the doorway that held the three men inside. Knocking lightly until she received an answer, Shira motioned for Kagome to enter first. Entering in, the three men paused their conversation and looked up at the women.
 
“Perhaps we should take our leave.” Sesshomaru suggested as Shira walked Kagome right up to Hiroshi.
 
“No, please stay. Our lives have always been intertwined with yours, you are as much a part of this as we are.” Shira interjected.
 
“My beautiful Kagome.” Hiroshi whispered as he stepped forward and embraced Kagome.
 
“Papa?” lingered in the air as Kagome embraced her father back and tears brimmed in her eyes.
 
As they parted, Hiroshi walked her over to a couch as he motioned the rest to follow. The group sat in silence as everyone gazed upon Kagome. Unsure of what they expected, she nervously stared at her lap until she decided to break the silence.
 
“Why?”
 
“Well that is quite a vague question.” Hiroshi said with a smile as Shira reached over and placed a hand over Kagome's to help alleviate some of her unease.
 
“Why send me to the future?”
 
“We didn't want to sweetheart, please know that” her mother pleaded as Kagome looked her in the eye.
 
“I know. I could tell that from the look in your eyes right before you dropped me into the well.”
 
“And how would you know the look in their eyes?” Sesshomaru interjected, disturbing this family moment.
 
“I saw it, when I was a baby and in my dreams that haunted me my whole life.”
 
“It's your miko powers. They were calling you back to us sweetheart.” her mother explained, pride emanating from her
 
“I know. My mother - eh, Mrs. Higurashi told me” Kagome corrected with a faint smile.
 
“She is your mother, just as I am. It is alright.”
 
“So I guess it's time we explained” Her father said in a solemn voice.
 
“Hiroshi, must we get into that now? We were having such a nice conversation.”
 
“She asked Shira, she has every right to know the dangers she faces here.”
 
“Dangers?” Kagome asked, looking her father in the eye - nervousness, but determination held within.
 
“Yes, I'm sad to say that your life here, if you choose to stay, will be very dangerous.” a sigh escaped his lips as his eyes were squeezed shut for a moment.
 
“From humans and demons alike.” Kagome stated outright, surprising evident on everyone's faces except Sesshomaru who was stoic as always. “Mom explained that too, as did everyone as soon as I've arrived.” averting her eyes she stared down at the floor, regaining her composure before looking up to continue. “Not everyone was pleased to see me and Inuyasha arrive. Sesshomaru,” turning to stare into his eyes “you and Inuyasha were obviously not pleased to see one another, and it's more than just a sibling dispute, I can tell. And mother” turning to gaze back upon her parents, “I'm sorry, but Kikyo did try to kill me. She referred to me as the 'bastard child' before attempting to kill me. Not to mention Sango's fear of me just by looking at my fangs and claws.” she prattled on as tears began to well in her eyes.
 
“Shhhhhh, I know it's overwhelming” Shira soothed as she leaned over and embraced Kagome, and Hiroshi reached his hand from Kagome's other side and began running it through her hair.
 
“Not everyone has come to accept humans and demons together yet.” Hiroshi explained “The Sango woman should have known better, being a resident of our lands, but seeing as she was just attacked she had every right to be afraid. Kikyo is still upset your mother even loved me, let alone mated and had you.”
 
“And as for Inuyasha and me. It is merely a sibling rivalry, I promise you that. He is the younger brother, I am the elder. I was raised here, where humans and demons live in peace, where half-demons are not as rare, but still unheard of in a Lord's lineage.”
 
“Regardless of the peace here, Sesshomaru is right. It was unheard of for a demon lord to mate a human.” Inu no Taisho interjected “Let alone two.”
 
“Your danger does not lie with humans, nor does it lie with most demons Kagome” Hiroshi explained as Kagome calmed down and sat upright again. “Your real danger lies with Inu Lords. You will be required to show them the same respect as you should in their presence, not to be distrusting, but at the same time stay on guard. Some were displeased by Takai and my choice to take a human mate, especially Takai.”
 
Kagome turned to regard Inu no Taisho as her father spoke of the two of them.
 
“But why?”
 
“We are demon lords” Takai explained. “We are expected to continue the proud lineage despite the peace and changes in culture. My first mate, Sesshomaru's mother died protecting our lands and our honor, and it was a disgrace for me to take a human as a new mate. Not long after Inuyasha was born,” closing his eyes to pause he took a deep breath as he continued, “a few demons illustrated their displease by attacking his mother. Not long after, she too died from the injuries.”
 
“Your mother was in danger as well, seeing as you were to be born not too long after. But she and I had other plans. Luckily for Shira, she is a powerful miko and could protect the two of you. But originally, my first born daughter was supposed to be Sesshomaru's mate. A way to ensure the Inu Lord line would continue as powerful as ever. The power you would bring to the line was no question” a proud smile graced Hiroshi's features as he spoke of Kagome's powers. “but the human blood was. We all knew how dangerous it would be for you and Inuyasha to grow up here. We could never watch your every step as children, but once trained you could live here and protect yourselves, prove yourselves just as strong and proud as any full demon.”
 
“So we sent you both away.” Shira finished. “We sent you far beyond their grasp, knowing your demon and miko would not allow you to stay away forever. I could subdue your demon, I made your miko side more dominant with a spell, that way you wouldn't accidentally hurt anyone. Without a demon threat, your miko powers would not lash out at anyone, so you were safe.”
 
“Unfortunately, my little brother was another story” Sesshomaru added. “We tried, but there was no way to subdue his demon side. His senses, his strength, they were all apparent. We could hide his physical features, but his senses would cause him trouble and pain. That is why he knew, and why he had to return before you. He had to learn to control his demon side in order to remain by your side.”
 
“I guess that all makes sense, but I don't understand why I couldn't know.”
 
“Kagome dear, what was the first thing you did once you knew?” Shira asked with a smile.
 
“I packed a bag and ran away here.”
 
“Exactly. We knew you would want the truth, you would want to know and we could not risk you being harmed when you were little. You had to be strong enough to protect yourself, and for that your miko powers would need to grow strong enough for you to remember us.”
 
“So now what happens to me?”
 
“That is up to you.”
 
Kagome paused as she took a moment to deliberate, “I want to stay, at least for now.”
 
Smiling, Hiroshi spoke first. “Then you will need training.”
 
“Training?”
 
“Training. You need to learn to control your unique purifying whip, your other miko abilities, and learn hand to hand combat to protect yourself.”
 
“Alright, how and when do I start?”
 
Surprise was evident on all their features as they stared into the eyes of a strong and determined demon and miko.
 
“I will train you to use your purifying whip” Sesshomaru announced in the silence. Perhaps she will not be as bad of a pupil as my little brother was. A smirk lingering on his features.
 
“Your mother will train you to use your miko powers” Hiroshi continued “and the demon exterminator you rescued, Sango I believe, she will teach you to fight. You will begin tomorrow morning with Sango. She will come to the palace to get you and then the two of you will go from there.”
 
Standing, Shira reached her hand down to Kagome. “Tomorrow it is, but for tonight you are my little girl. I would like to spend the day with you if that's alright.”
 
“Of course it is.” taking her hand, Kagome stood and walked out with her mother.
 
“We will see you all for dinner of course.” her mother called as they exited the room.
 
“You never mentioned Shin.” Sesshomaru stated, not as a question, but as a statement.
 
“There was no reason to alarm her nor to give her a preconceived notion of him. We do not know that he will harm her” Hiroshi explained as the men stood and returned to the desk.
 
“He will. After I refused his daughter, he will surely want to ensure I would not take your daughter as my mate.”
 
The two older men shared a knowing gaze as Sesshomaru stared at the papers before them.
 
“Since you are so concerned about the girl's safety, perhaps you should watch after her son.”
 
His head snapped up as he stared into his father's eyes “I thought that was Inuyasha's duty.”
 
“Well as you can see, your brother is not here yet. Besides, he will be busy with more training of his own once he arrives. As you know, he has yet to master the Tetsaiga. He will have to master that weapon before he is in any shape to protect her from Shin.”
 
“I will do as you ask for now father, but as soon as he is ready Inuyasha will step in.”
 
“If that is what you wish, then when you feel him ready you let him know.”
 
I'm so sorry it took so long to update. I hit a bit of writer's block and had a few personal issues preventing me from writing. I hope to be updating more often, but I am very sorry for the delay. Please review.