InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Comrades ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha leaped down from the rooftop as he wiped the sweat off his brow with the back of his hand.
 
“This is not the work you told my father you needed me for.” Turning to stare at Kikyo standing off to the side. “Or was that all just a hoax to get me to stay here?”
 
“Inuyasha, you know how hard it is to maintain the village. No one here can cut the trees and mend the rooftops as efficiently as you can and with the rainy season fast approaching it was necessary for your help. Besides, there are demon nests in the forests near the area we were cutting trees down from.”
 
“Yeah whatever.” Walking away he bounded back into the forest to retrieve another bundle of wood to continue working.
 
Shaking her head with a smile on her lips Kikyo whispered to herself. “Why can't you just let down your wall for just a little while, even to just me.”
 
Walking through the fortress, Kagome's breath hitched at every twist and turn. There were gardens everywhere, humans and demons - full blooded and otherwise, everywhere. They were workers, they were nobles, they were citizens. The fortress was opened to all and many of the local villagers worked within the grounds. Walking out into the large garden areas, the walls fell behind them as they entered into an enormous grassy area.
 
“What is this place?”
 
“It's a training ground for self-defense, demon training, miko training and exterminator training.”
 
As if on cue, Kagome saw a group of individuals off into the distance, dressed in similar clothing to Sango. As she and her mother got closer she noticed Sango within the group, sitting off to the side - her injuries still impeding her movements and clearly annoying her.
 
“Would you like to go over there?” Shira asked as she saw Kagome's line of sight.
 
“I wouldn't want to disturb them.”
 
“Well seeing as Sango will be your new teacher, perhaps we should go meet with her. She doesn't seem to be busy right now anyway, perhaps she would welcome the interruption.” Shira steered Kagome towards the group and they halted their training as they approached.
 
Seeing them heading over, Sango stood and motioned the rest to continue their training.
 
“Lady Shira” Sango greeted with a bow as the pair approached. “I apologize, I never caught your name before.” turning her gaze to Kagome.
 
“Kagome. I will be your new pupil it seems.”
 
“Tomorrow morning. I look forward to it.”
 
“Will you be alright teaching me with your injured leg?”
 
“We won't be doing much combat tomorrow, it will be mostly just figuring out what fighting style and weapon you are best suited for, and I hope this leg will be back to normal very soon.” Sango replied, clearly upset at her injury.
 
“May I?” Shira asked, motioning towards her leg.
 
“Oh, of course. Thank you ma'am:” Sitting down to allow access to her wounds, Shira opened the bandage to examine the wound.
 
“It seems to be a simple gash. If you allow, I could collect some herbs from my garden that will aid in the healing process and help you get back on your feet sooner.”
 
“Thank you, but really it's not necessary. I'll be fine in just a few days.”
 
“Please, it would be my pleasure. You are helping my daughter after all, allow me to help you.” standing Shira smiled down at the girls. “Why don't you two get better acquainted, I'll return shortly”
 
“So Sango, what is that weapon you use?” motioning to the boomerang planted into the ground nearby.
 
“It is called Hiraikotsu. It is a giant boomerang my father made for me out of the bones of demons we hunted.”
 
“Hunted?”
 
“There are demons unlike our Lords here in the Western lands. Granted other lands do have demon lords of other tribes, but there are also those creatures that are more beast than human. They have very little intelligence and are very vicious. My fellow exterminators and I are paid to hunt those demons, to exterminate the pests wherever they cause trouble.”
 
“My lady Sango!” a voice called from far off, causing Sango to roll her eyes as she turned to look. A young man around their age or older approached. Dark robes, gold staff, clearly a monk or priest.
 
“Here comes a more local pest.” Sango mumbled to Kagome as she closed up her bandage and stood to greet him. “Houshi-sama, what brings you here today?”
 
“Why my lady, I heard that you were injured.” he replied, taking her hand in his own, causing Sango to blush and Kagome to stand by nervously. “Pardon me. I am Miroku, a local monk from the village” dropping Sango's hand and turning to gaze upon Kagome.
 
“Kagome I'm -”
 
“She's my new pupil” Sango cut in.
 
“Pupil? Pardon my curiosity, but are you not an inu-demon?”
 
“She is, but she was not trained to fight earlier in life, she will be taught combat by me and Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
“Lord Sesshomaru? Since when does he take pupils?”
 
“Since he was requested by my husband.” Shira replied as she walked up to the group.
 
“Lady Shira.” Miroku bowed in respect.
 
“Hello Miroku, what brings you to the fortress today? Checking on Sango again?” a smirk gracing her lips as Sango turned away and blushed again, Miroku smiling in reply with a slight nod.
 
“But of course Lady Shira. I heard that my lady was injured on her latest hunt.”
 
“Well she will be fine soon enough.” turning to speak to Sango, smile still gracing her lips “Sango dear, you must sit back down so I can treat your leg.”
Shira ground the herbs down into a paste with her pestle. Reaching down to gather some in her hand, a light pink shimmer seemed to seep into the paste as she applied it to Sango's wound and re-bandaged her leg.
 
“What was that?” Kagome asked, clearly curious.
 
“Miko powers, it will help to enhance the healing properties of the herbs. You will learn to do the same soon enough.”
 
“Miko powers? But Lady Kagome is an inu-demon why would she have miko -” cutting himself off, Miroku merely stood and stared from Kagome to Shira and back again. “My apologies Lady Shira. I should learn to hold my tongue better.” he bowed as he turned to Sango. “Lady Sango, I will come by later to check on you again.” bowing to the group he turned and took his leave.
 
“What did he mean by that?”
 
“Perhaps we should continue on our tour Kagome. Sango we shall see you tomorrow morning and if you need I will apply more salve to your leg.”
 
“Thank you Lady Shira and Kagome I'll see you early tomorrow.”
 
Standing, Shira guided Kagome off and away from groups of people. Heading off to the side of the clearing, Shira opened a gate and led Kagome into a small herb garden - clearly Shira's private garden. Continuing on in silence the pair approached a small hut that Shira pulled the door hanging open and motioned Kagome in. Preparing tea, the two sat and shared a glass of tea before Shira broke the silence.
 
“People know of you. People know of your legacy, of your powers, of your birth - the birth that should never of happened. Villagers excitedly await your return, some demons await your return to welcome you back and others to destroy you. In the Western lands half-demons and even less are common and accepted, but it was not always this way. Humans and demons did not always exist in the peace that they do now. Mixed blood began many many years ago, but never in families such as ours - the demon Lords. Like your father said, not everyone was pleased at your and Inuyasha's births. Miroku and Sango both know, and both seem to respect you and be villagers that wished to one day meet you. The know that spreading the word of your return could be hazardous to you, especially when they know that you still need training.”
 
“Are you saying I can't trust anyone besides our family and Inu no Taisho and Sesshomaru?”
 
“No of course not. You can trust those in the fortress, you can trust many people, and from what I can tell, you can trust Sango and Miroku. Sango seems to like you and from what I see, wishes to protect you and help keep you safe. Because of that, I believe Miroku will respect our wishes to keep you safe for now and will keep your secret as well. As for your appearance, it will remain as it is. You merely look as though you are a half-demon or even less. So long as no one knows you are a miko as well, you will be fine.”
 
“What do you mean, my appearance?” gazing down at her hands her eyes widened as she saw dark purple stripes had appeared on her wrists. “What is going on?”
 
“I placed a spell on you when you were an infant, it suppressed your demon side, but the more you are back and the more you used your powers the more it faded. Your powers are growing and dispelling the spell. The marking on your wrists and the silver streaks in your hair are the markings of an Inu demon. The features would be more prominent if you were a normal hanyou, but because you are a priestess as well you have two very powerful sides combating to take control.”
 
“So am I safe? Will everyone know who I am?”
 
“No. To the world you are merely part Inu demon, but to your new friends and comrades you can be yourself.”
 
 
Thanks again for reading, I'm sorry my updates are so far in between. I'm working on my punctuality. Please review.