InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Past, Present, and Future ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha watched the sun set from his perch atop a villager's roof, all huts successfully repaired and his job here completed.
 
Not bothering to look down, he merely spoke as if to no one “I'm leaving in the morning.”
 
“What why?! Inuyasha please, stay a little longer. We haven't seen each other in ages.”
 
Hopping down he dusted himself off and stood face to face with Kikyo.
 
“I have to go back, go home, it's where I belong.”
 
“You're a half-demon, they sent you away long ago. How could you belong there?!”
 
“They sent me away to protect me!” turning away in frustration he spoke down at his feet, calming his voice before continuing at a normal level. “You have to understand. They are my family, and Kagome is my family. I have to go check on her, make sure she's fine, and try to make things right with her again. I can't let things stay the way they were when she left.” taking a deep breath he turned his head to look back at Kikyo “I'll come by in the morning to say goodbye.”
 
As he walked away towards the forest tears welled in Kikyo's eyes as she called out.
 
“Why do you chase after someone you know you can't have and isn't meant for you?”
 
Pausing in his step he stared straight ahead “She's meant for no one. That deal was broken long ago, you know that and I know that. Why bring that up now?”
 
“Why chase after her? Why fight for her? Why fight when I am right here, waiting?”
 
“We both know why. Don't tell me you forgot what happened when we tried being together before? I didn't”
 
“Inuyasha please!” running towards him she grabbed onto his sleeve as she turned him to look her tearful eyes. “Please, give me another chance. We were both young and I was stupid.”
 
“I just, I don't know. I'm sorry.” prying her hands off his sleeve he turned away and jumped off toward the forest.
 
Kikyo stood where she was, watching his figure disappear into the trees, tears falling freely down her cheeks and her memories haunted her. Shaking herself out of her reverie, she merely whispered to herself.
 
“How could I have been so stupid and hurt you so badly. I don't blame you for hating me, but I'll keep waiting for you.”
 
 
Unable to sleep, Kagome woke early - long before dawn, and decided to get ready to take on the day. Climbing out of her bed she got herself dressed in her kimono and haori before turning to make her bed. Fixing her hair into a ponytail she examined her reflection before exiting her room. Remembering the path she took the day before she maneuvered her way through the halls and out the training grounds. Taking a deep breath of fresh morning air she walked out into the open a little before sitting down to stretch and relax. After her stretches were over the sun was barely beginning to peak its way over the horizon.
 
“You're up early”
 
Jumping at the voice, Kagome whirled around and smiled as she bowed in respect. “Good morning Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
“It's not necessary to address me as Lord, you too are of noble birth Lady Kagome.”
 
“Well in that case, Sesshomaru” she replied, pausing to emphasize his name “you should drop the Lady when you address me as well.”
 
“Fair enough.” walking forward to stand beside her he gazed off at the sunrise before finally speaking “What brings you out here this early?”
 
“I couldn't sleep, and I have my first session with Sango-chan here in a few hours. I just thought I'd get some fresh air and clear my mind.”
 
“I expect there is a lot on your mind these days.”
 
“I don't want to bore you. I'm sure we clarified before it is not your concern, nor do you care.” a smirk gracing her lips as she imitated Sesshomaru.
 
“I will be training you as well, and your powers are well linked to your emotions, so enlighten me to your mental dilemmas.”
 
“It's just, I miss my family - the Higurashis” she began as she lowered herself to sit upon the slight hill they were on, Sesshomaru following suit. “I wonder where Inuyasha is, I'm still trying to figure out who or what I am, and now concerned over who I can trust and who I cannot.”
 
“If I may?” pausing until she motioned for him to continue “it is only natural to miss the only family you have ever known, as for my idiot of a brother he couldn't be far off now. I feel the errands he had to perform in the village won't last long and I feel he will try to get here to check on you as well.” as small blush seeped onto Kagome's features as she turned away to hide it, Sesshomaru merely cocking an eyebrow before continuing “As for who you are, that is an internal struggle that I hope your training sessions and time here will answer. When it comes to those you can trust, follow your heart. I may not be an expert, but I do not feel your miko powers nor your demon instincts will steer you wrong. You have your family, my family, and from what I can tell Sango to steer you away from danger as well.”
 
“Thank you Sesshomaru” smiling Kagome turned back to the sunrise as Sesshomaru stretched beside her.
 
“Stand.”
 
“Excuse me?”
 
“Stand. We are out here, it's still early. I came out here to meditate and train myself, we might as well begin now. I merely want to teach you the proper concentration and physical form now. The arduous training will follow later today.”
 
“Alright, let's do it.”
 
The two stood in the center of the training area as Sesshomaru instructed Kagome on the proper hand form, on how to use her newly acquired demon senses, and the importance of daily meditation. As he finished his instruction, the two sat opposite one another, legs crossed and meditated in silence. Far off, standing on a balcony of the fortress, a pair of golden eyes watched their movements.
 
The sun rose, the light assaulted Inuyasha's closed eyes, waking him from his peaceful slumber. Stretching on the limb he slept on, he hopped down and headed into the village to say goodbye to Kikyo before heading out.
 
As he approached her hut, he found Kikyo outside, sitting on a nearby fence staring out at the sunrise. Sensing his approach, she turned and stared at him - golden eyes meeting a pair of emotionless hazel eyes.
 
“Kikyo, I -”
 
“No wait, let me say this before I lose my nerve” hopping down from the fence she walked up to him and embraced him. “I don't blame you for not trusting me. I hurt you more than I thought I could ever hurt anyone. I shouldn't have been ashamed of being with you, I shouldn't have tried to hide it, and I especially shouldn't have denied it. Even still, I will wait for you, I will always wait for you and if you end up with my sister then I wish you all the happiness in the world.” Pulling away she gave him a sad smile.
 
“Come with me.”
 
“What? No. I couldn't.”
 
“Why not? Your father died years ago, your mother is in the Western Lands, as is your sister and so will I be. You have nothing left tying you to this village, but your whole life in the Western Lands. Everyone who cares about you is there, waiting for you as well.”
 
“My sister doesn't care about me, she'd never forgive and neither will my mother. I tried to kill my sister, my mother's baby girl. Hiroshi would have my head for what I've done.”
 
“You think your mother would let him harm you? You think he would even try? They will all forgive you Kikyo, you just have to ask for it. They are your family, as am I. Come with me.”
 
“Please don't ask me again Inuyasha, unless you are asking me to be with you, don't ask me to accompany you. To watch you train, fight, and beg my sister's forgiveness. Don't ask me to watch you throw your heart and soul to her.”
 
“I'm sorry. Just please, think about it. If you change your mind, send word and I'll come get you.”
 
“Just be safe Inuyasha, and don't forget about me okay?”
 
Reaching forward, Inuyasha pulled Kikyo into his chest as he whispered into her hair.
 
“I could never forget you Kikyo, never. I'll come back to see you, I promise.” Pulling back the shared a sad smile before he turned and ran off towards the Western Lands, towards him home.
 
 
Kagome and Sesshomaru finished their meditation, headed back to the fortress for breakfast, and here she stood back in the middle of the training ground awaiting Sango's arrival.
 
“Kagome-chan!” a waving Sango called out as she approached.
 
“Sango-chan. I'm glad to see your leg looks much better today.”
 
“Your mother is brilliant, it is as good as new.” grabbing Kagome's hand she began to lead her back from where she came. “Come on, we've got a lot to do.”
 
“Where are we going?”
 
“To the village, to my home. We need to decide on your proper weapon, and for that we need our supplies.”
 
“Your village.” Pausing nervously Kagome stood and stared off a moment.
 
“What's wrong?”
 
“Will people recognize me? Will they know who I am?”
 
“No, not unless you use your miko powers they won't. Don't worry, we'll be safe.”
 
“Alright, I trust you.” following after the girls chatted as they walked, talking of Kagome's world and of Sango's. “So there are a lot of villagers then?”
 
“The village is enormous. There are so many, so many fighters and healers and farmers as well.”
 
“And priests and monks” Kagome added with a wink.
 
“Don't even get me started on pervert monks.”
 
“Pervert monks? Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?”
 
“Trust me, do not trust Miroku. He has a habit of a wandering AH!” screaming Sango whirled on her heel and grabbed the offensive appendage before waving it in Kagome's face. “See what I mean!” A slap resounded waking whatever villagers were still sleeping in the entire Western Lands.
 
“Mi'lady Sango, I cannot help myself. Good morning Lady Kagome.”
 
“Some monk you are. Hentai houshi. Aren't you supposed to be pure?”
 
“No no, my dear those are the mikos.” winking towards Kagome. “Lady Sango, might I have my hand back, unless you enjoy the feel of it in your hand.” blushing Sango threw his hand down as he winked at her, straightened himself before rushing forward and grabbing both her hands in his. “Lady Sango, how many times must I ask before you give in?”
 
“Don't even try it Miroku” she threatened as she attempted to pry her hands loose, Kagome snickering from the sidelines.
 
“Lady Sango, would you do me the honor of bearing my child?” finally freeing her hands from his, a second slap resounded through the air, the sound causing Kagome to wince.
 
As Kagome pried her eyes open two bright red hand prints were plastered on Miroku's left cheek, one atop the other almost a perfect overlap.
 
“Come on Kagome” Sango ordered as she grabbed her hand and pulled her onward.
 
“Run all you like, deny it as well but I know what is deep in your heart Lady Sango. You love me! You will bear my child, just wait!”
 
Kagome burst out laughing, no longer able to contain herself as Sango increased her pace.
 
 
Alright, another chapter done. Thank you for the reviews. I would like to mention, due to suggestions from readers and from my friend I am debating adding a few missing characters, but no guarantees yet.