InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Answers ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“DAD!!!! SESS! HIROSHI! SOMEBODY HELP ME!” rushing from room to room, Kagome still unconscious in his arms, Inuyasha frantically searched the fortress for their families.
 
“Inuyasha?!” Sesshomaru yelled from behind him, “WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?!” he bellowed as Inuyasha turned around and he saw Kagome.
 
“I - I didn't do anything”
 
The rest of the family burst through the doorway as Shira gasped and ran forward. Ushering them into the room, Inu no Taisho closed the door behind them. Inuyasha placed Kagome on the couch in the back as Sesshomaru stormed after him, still screaming at the top of his lungs.
 
“WELL IF YOU DIDN'T DO IT THEN WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!”
 
“The village was attacked and we were defending it.”
 
“AND YOU COULDN'T EVEN MANAGE TO PROTECT HER?!”
 
Shira and Hiroshi examined Kagome for injuries as the brothers continued to yell and Inu no Taisho stood back watching.
 
“I PROTECTED HER JUST FINE! SHE DID THIS TO HERSELF!”
 
“OH YEAH, SHE JUST KNOCKED HERSELF UNCONSCIOUS! YOU'RE SUCH A FAILURE, FATHER WAS RIGHT I SHOULD MAKE WATCHING OVER HER MY TOP PRIORITY AND I WILL STARTING RIGHT NOW!”
 
“YOU WATCH OVER HER!? OVER MY DEAD BODY!”
 
“THAT COULD BE ARRANGED!”
 
“ENOUGH!” Hiroshi bellowed, as he stood and faced the two demons. “Enough. You can fight over my daughter later. Right now,” pausing he turned to Inuyasha “tell us everything that happened.”
 
Inuyasha explained the demon nest, how he and Miroku just happened across the girls, and Kagome's magnificent display of demon power. Gasping as the two finished, Shira met her husband's eyes.
 
“Lady Shira, what happened to Kagome?” Sesshomaru asked, his temper dissipated after the news.
 
“I was afraid this would happened, but I figured it would only occur when her life was in danger. This puts her in much more danger than I anticipated.”
 
“Her demon blood took over didn't it?” Inuyasha asked, surprising everyone at his insight.
 
“Yes, it did. How did you know?”
 
“Because it happened to me once.”

“And you never told me because?!” Inu no Taisho bellowed.
 
“Because I was afraid that it meant I was weak, and if I was weak I wouldn't be able to protect her!” Inuyasha yelled back motioning at the unconscious Kagome.
 
“Never mind that now!” Sesshomaru interjected, turning back to Shira he calmed down and spoke directly to her. “What can we do to protect her?”
 
“Teach her control. From what I've heard, her demon powers took over to protect Sango in the forest before, and today to protect a child. Her heart and her desire to help others ultimately controls it, but her demon powers execute it without any of her own consciousness. I fear she could be a danger to all of you in the room right now. You have to go for now.”
 
“No.” Sesshomaru and Inuyasha echoed.
 
“Lady Shira, let me remain by her side, I failed to train her to control her whip enough.”
 
“Actually Sesshomaru, I believe your training today is what prevented her from accidentally lashing out at Inuyasha, it is I who failed her. I should have taught her to harness her miko powers before, her powers are harnessed in her whip, but ultimately the miko in her should control it. Now please go. She was knocked out in the heat of battle, if she wakes and believes there is still danger her demon powers could lash out again.”
 
Nodding in agreement, all four men exited the room silently. Motioning to his side, the older two walked off for private discussion - leaving the two brothers standing side by side in silence.
 
Storming through the halls, servants running in fear, a confident smirk sat nestled on her lips as her silver hair flowed behind her.
 
“Kirika!”
 
“Not now Kouji, I have news for my father.”
 
“Kirika please, don't go in there. Do not interrupt him” Kouji begged as he stood in between her and the door. Kouji stood tall - a wolf demon, long flowing black hair, tied in a low ponytail, shirtless and sweat glistening on his chest from training.
 
“Kouji, you smell like a wet dog. Move aside!”
 
“Your father nearly had you at death's door last time you interrupted one of his meetings. Please be reasonable Kirika.”
 
“This is news he will welcome Kouji, I know what I'm doing.”
 
“Kirika please just”
 
“They're back.” she interrupted.
 
“Seriously?”
 
“I saw them with my own two eyes, now let me pass.”
 
“Alright, but please be careful.” stepping to the side he allowed her to barge in and flinched as Shin bellowed at her entrance.
 
“KIRIKA! How many times have I told you not to interrupt me!”
 
“I apologize Lord Shin, but I come bearing important news that both you and your counsel must know” Kirika replied lowered into a bow.
 
“Speak quickly, and it better be good.”
 
“They have returned sir. Both of them, not just the male half-breed.”
 
“Are you certain?”
 
“Absolutely.”
 
“Stand up and explain.”
 
Raising her head, Kirika looked around the room, only her father and his closest advisor stood before her. His advisor squirmed under the heat of the glares between Kirika and her father. A smaller toad-like demon, the advisor was merely a speck between two powerful full Inu-demons.
 
Kirika stood tall under her father's intense glare, her piercing eyes returning the intensity - the eyes, her one feature from her father. Dressed in dark robes, almost ninja-like, scars were barely evident on her bare arms and at the neckline of the shirt. Mirrored on her father, one long scar extended from the bridge of his nose downward to the middle of his right cheek.
 
“SPEAK!”
 
“Her demonic powers are strong, but untamed. She demonstrated a full demon's poison whip, but hers was pure energy - a miko's energy. It is her, it has to be. The half-breed male came to her rescue as her powers overcame her and she collapsed. He rushed her off, hoping no one had recognized them.”
 
“So it's true, and you know the boy to be Inuyasha?”
 
“Unmistakable, he still wears that despicable fire-rat rag.”
 
“Very well. Jaken!”
 
The toad leaped at his name. “Y-yes sir.”
 
“We have work to do. It's time to implement my revenge. You know who to contact, I want her every movement watched, I want to know what I am up against.”
 
“Y-yes sir.” Jaken bowed as he scampered out of the room.
 
“You've done well Kirika. Perhaps you will redeem yourself yet.”
 
Kagome's eyes fluttered open as she sat bolt upright. Staring around the room, she noticed she was in her bed, in her room, and it was now dark outside.
 
“You're awake.”
 
Kagome's heart skipped a beat as she looked into the corner where the voice came from. A pair of golden eyes reflected back at her, the eyes shimmering in the moonlight.
 
“Sesshomaru, what are you doing here?”
 
“Watching over you.”
 
Kagome felt her cheeks flush and was thankful it was dark in the room.
 
“What happened to me?”
 
“Your powers took over in your desire to save a young child. You over-exerted yourself today, two training sessions and a fight. You passed out.”
 
“How long have I been out?”
 
“Hours. Your mother finally just went to bed, she'd been by your side all day. She wouldn't let any of us in here with you, she was afraid you'd still think you were in a battle when you woke up and lash out. Didn't want you purifying any of us, even me” Sesshomaru allowed himself a smirk as he took a step out of the shadows.
 
“You didn't have to watch over me you know.”
 
“Yes I do. There's something I need to tell you, and I don't believe our father's would be pleased about it, let alone my brother.”
 
“uh, okay.” Kagome replied as she sat up more and squirmed under his intense gaze. What would he have to say to me that would make Inuyasha angry?
 
“I will watch over you and protect you Kagome because I have to.” taking a few more steps towards her, he paused beside her before continuing toward the window. “Someone is out to hurt you. I can't be sure, but I believe he will target you to get back and our fathers and at me.”
 
“Why you and why me?”
 
“The man's name is Shin. He was a powerful demon lord that lost his standing because of our families. I was meant to be mated to the first born daughter from you father. Yes, that would have meant you.” Sesshomaru answered Kagome's question before she asked it as he turned to look at her briefly. “After you were sent away those plans obviously changed. I am now allowed to pick my mate, but Shin believed my father should have made me mate with his daughter. When I rejected her, Shin became furious and attacked our families - our reputation and physically. He believed we disgraced the Inu Lord line, tainting it with human blood. He attacked my father and for that he has a scar across his face, displaying his shame to anyone who sees him.”
 
“So this Shin man is after me? Why?”
 
“To punish us. To punish your father for tainting the bloodline and to punish our family by ensuring I cannot choose you as my mate.”
 
“Why doesn't Inuyasha or our fathers want me to know this?”
 
“They feel you have enough to worry about with training and learning who to trust.”
 
“And you?”
 
“I believe you need to be aware of what dangers you are in so that you are better aware of your surroundings. We will help you to know who to trust, but ultimately that is your decision.”
 
“And you will be watching over me, watching my surroundings as well?”
 
“Yes. My brother and I have agreed upon it.”
 
“You and Inuyasha agreed upon it? He agreed upon something?”
 
A chuckle was heard from Sesshomaru, surprising Kagome.
 
“Yes. He still requires much training, and he will be undergoing that training while you are trained. We leave tomorrow for somewhere else. Both our families and Sango and the priest Miroku. Somewhere safer.”
 
“Miroku?”
 
“Apparently he is my brother's friend and an acquaintance of Lady Sango, so yes.”
 
“Alright, then tomorrow we leave.” Kagome attempted to stifle a yawn as exhaustion took over again.
 
“Your body is still drained from the day. Rest, I'll watch over you and your room this evening.”
 
“Thank you Sesshomaru.” Kagome laid herself back down as she bundled under her blankets.
 
“Remember, be aware of your surroundings, but do not tell them I informed you just yet. Goodnight Lady Kagome.”
 
Looking up to say goodnight Kagome saw the wind blowing the bushes outside her window as Sesshomaru had already disappeared into the night.
 
 
That's all for now, sorry it took so long to update. Please review, it gives me the motivation to write (hint hint).