InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living Weapons ❯ First Encounters ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Living Weapons
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Company; they belong to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. This is a completely fictional work and any relation to events or persons, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
 
Summary: Four tools of gods - healing, destruction, wisdom, and control - are reborn on earth with no memory, but retaining their skills. At their inevitable meeting, which path will they choose?
 
Chapter Two: First Meeting
 
“Shit!” Kagome slammed her head against the concrete wall as hard as she dared and then suddenly clapped her hand over her mouth, “And I'm developing a potty mouth, too!” A hand on her shoulder caused her to spin around in absolute terror - don't blame her, it's her first day and she can't find the main office - and slapped the man hard across the face. Then, realizing that she had knocked the silver-haired and amber-eyed man to the floor, she clapped a hand over her mouth, for the second time in as many minutes, and knelt down beside him, helping him up and apologizing profusely. Offering her handkerchief to him, she inspected his cheek, saying, “I'm so sorry! Ummm… I didn't catch your name?” The man snorted and stood, shaking off her touch and towering over her, “That would be because I didn't say it.” Looking up at him, Kagome suddenly noticed that he had the cutest little puppy dog ears. She stared at them, and the man seemed to notice her interest. “Shit!” He started walking away. How could I forget my hat?
 
What he hadn't counted on was the fact that Kagome was feeling a sudden and uncontrollable urge to touch his ears. The next thing he felt was a little girl stretched on tiptoe, hands straining to touch his ears, and delicate fingers rubbing them in soothing circles. Unconsciously, he tipped his head back to allow her to reach them. Kagome giggled, a light cascade of laughter. Immediately his head snapped forward and he turned around to snap at her. Shocked, she tripped backward, almost hitting the ground before he grabbed her roughly. Setting her carefully on her feet, he turned and started walking away once more. Confused, she shouted after him, “What's your name?” Without turning his head, he replied, “Inuyasha.” ”Inuyasha,” Kagome echoed, a slight smile on her face.
 
 
SHIT! What possessed me to help that girl? I've been able to keep a low profile for an entire year, and that one stupid girl forces me to show some sort of caring for her! Naw, it was just that you didn't want someone to be hurt in front of you. After all, the weak bitch can't help herself… Inuyasha stomped off toward his room, passing the office. Kaede, the school principal beckoned him in. “Inuyasha, I'm making you a small group leader.” His jaw dropped open. “What?” It came out as a squawk, and he cleared his throat. Kaede nodded, “Yes, we are having a slight shortage in small group leaders, so I'm making you one. Your partner will be Miroku Houshi, room C34, in the Main Freshman Wing.” Expletives which would make a sailor blush and run from the room poured forth from his mouth as he exited the room - slamming the door as hard as he could, which was no laughing matter - and stomped outside again. Near growling, Inuyasha jammed a hat onto his head and walked as fast as he could back to his room, hand jammed into his worn jean pockets. Suddenly breaking into an inhumanly fast run, he headed for the training room - ready to beat up a few hundred dummies.
 
 
Turning back around, Kagome saw another man watching with a slight smile on his face. Turning to him with a confused look on her face, she took in his tiny twin gold hoop earrings, the small tail of purple hair, deep purple eyes, and his worn jeans and t-shirt with a light purple over robe. He smiled and extended his hand, “You must be new! My name is Miroku Kameya. What's your name?” Smiling, his wise eyes twinkling, he looked the very picture of helpfulness. Kagome took his hand. “Yep, I'm new. My name is Kagome Higurashi.” Nodding, they let go of each others hands. “Could you possibly tell me which way to the Main Office?” “Of course, my lady!” Kagome looked at him with an amused expression on her face, but accepted his arm. Walking into the building she had previously been standing against,
 
Unfortunately, he was fresh out of self control by then. Kaede, in her office, heard the frustrated growl of a woman, the distinct sound of a slap against a man's cheek, and the same man begging for forgiveness, before Kagome stalked into her office, power swirling around her. Kaede blinked at the amount of power swirling ever faster around the petite figure, and then stored it away in her memory banks in favor of more pressing issues - like who this girl was. The ebony-haired girl smiled calmly - though the fluctuations of power surrounding her were no less apparent - and addressed her, “Hello, I'm Kagome Higurashi, and I'm a new student here?” Phrased as a question, the statement sounded no less professional. Kaede turned to her computer and typed in a query. A few seconds later, the computer pulled up a box, on which a picture of Kagome was posted, along with a few pages of information.
 
Scanning the information rapidly, the old woman nodded and stood. Hobbling over to the wall covered in filing drawers, she searched through one until she found what she was looking for, a rather large file. Going to another area of the room, she found what seemed to be a large velvet book bag with the symbol of Shikon University sown onto it. Handing both to Kagome, she began an obviously premeditated and practiced speech.
 
“Hello, Kagome, and welcome to our great school. We have taught mikos, houshis, taijya, demons, and humans for over twenty centuries. The first few papers in the file” - Kagome fumbled her file open and glanced at the documents - “Should be filled out and returned to me. Your name will then be added to the student phonebooks. After those pages are your biography - to which everyone in this school has access. If you have anything you wish edited, please inform me of the changes and I will do my best. The pages after that are your schedule, classes, room and wing numbers, a biography on your roommate, a student handbook, and a rule book. You will receive the student phonebook on the first day of school. Now, on the velvet back you see the embroidered symbol of this school. Open the bag and you should find your room keys, another copy of your schedule, your first few uniforms, which you will be expected to wash, and toiletries. Toiletries will be replaced every month, and you will be expected to bath twice daily - once in the morning, and once in the evening. You will also have the option of cooking for yourself - equipment will be provided as well as food. If you do not wish to do so, you may eat in the school cafeteria. Do you have any questions?”
 
Before Kagome could answer, Kaede showed (pushed) her out of her office, telling her to head to her dorm. Unfortunately, poor, innocent, Kagome had not a clue as to where her new room was. This was a slight problem, considering she was expected to head there and unpack. She paused at the door for a moment, and then noticed that Miroku was still standing there, laughing slightly at her misfortune. “So, you gonna cook for yourself or go to the school caf?” Kagome glared at him, though the smile playing around her mouth took most of the sting away, “You do realize that it is very rude to eavesdrop?” Miroku shrugged, “But, otherwise, I wouldn't know a single thing!” Kagome laughed. He noticed, semiconsciously, that her laugh sounded like the tinkling of little silver bells, “You still don't know a single thing.”
 
Miroku pouted for her benefit, and then said triumphantly, “Ah, I do know some things! I know that Kaede wears bright pink socks with fluorescent orange and yellow spots!” Kagome gaped at him, and then decided she didn't want to know how he had discovered this tidbit of information. In response to his first question, she said, “I'm not sure yet - how's the cafeteria?” Miroku grimaced, “Terrible. There are these terrible raw fries, overcooked and burned meat that I wish I could say was chicken - but I can't, and all manner of disgusting foods which could make anyone throw up. But I can't cook, so I am forced to eat there.” Kagome smiled again, “I'd say that could be called begging for food.” Miroku stuck his nose in the air and said in a voice that totally ruined the gesture, “I could show you to your room in exchange for a free breakfast tomorrow.” Kagome giggled and slung her arm around Miroku's shoulder. Unfortunately, Miroku didn't seem to be mature enough for this act and copped a feel, to which Kagome replied with a slap, already used to this behavior after only two hours in his company. Together, they walked to the main freshman dorm, where Miroku also stayed as a small group leader.
 
It seemed like the beginning of a brilliant friendship. Kagome sighed in absolute bliss. And then Miroku, not quite being sensible to such things, touched her. Again. Resulting in a slap, and the total ruin of the sentimentality of the moment.
 
 
On the other side of the campus, Sango sighed and rubbed her temples. This is getting me nowhere. I should just give up - I should have actually given up a long time ago, but, no - I had to let my stupid pride get in my way, and now I'm completely lost. Showing no outward signs of her frustration, Sango straightened up and walked in a direction she hoped would lead her to the main campus office. She stood completely straight, and walked with all the lithe grace of a mountain cat. Her chestnut hair hung from a high ponytail, and her magenta eyes gave her an appearance of exotic, rarefied beauty. Her jeans and t-shirt were tight, as were her boots, which showed the hard use required of a demon slayer in training. Her ponytail swayed back and forth as she walked, never once looking back. Demon slayers never look back - past or present. That's why there are so few. Most can not live -sane- until adulthood. And those are always killed.
 
Walking in a straight line, Sango semi-consciously checked the position of her weapons unobtrusively and continued walking, never faltering from her chosen direction. Two people, a boy and a girl, rounded the corner and nearly crashed into her. Swerving at the last second, Sango avoided the pair and continued walking. As they walked away, they continued jabbering, “Where is this freshman dorm again? It's awfully far away!” Sango wheeled around, and addressed their retreating backs, “Excuse me, would you happen to know where the freshman dorms are?” The girl immediately turned around and smiled at her, “I don't, but Miroku does! I'm sure he can take us both!” Sango looked at the man, who bowed, “I would be more than happy to escort such a beautiful lady as you to her room.” Sango, confused, laughed in a bitter manner and glanced at Kagome, who was laughing at Miroku. Patting him on the arm, Kagome said, “Miroku - didn't you just say you were trying to refrain from being so… stupid?” Miroku looked injured, and replied, “What do you mean by saying I'm stupid! I am merely being chivalrous to this poor lost lady.”
 
Kagome, trying to keep a straight face, instantly replied, “When one says stupid, one generally means stupid. And you are a monk-in-training, not a knight. You have no need to be chivalrous. Though you are anyway, if one thinks of it.” Turning abruptly to Sango, she said “Come on…” “Sango,” supplied the magenta-eyed girl. “Well, Sango-chan, let's get Miroku-kun here to show us to our rooms!” Eying the load of bags in Sango's arms, she smiled and said, “You don't have to carry those! Miroku can carry them for you.” Smiling a nice, friendly smile, she grabbed some bags and piled them onto the bags already in Miroku's arms. Smiling, she tugged on Sango's arm and started running and giggling. Miroku staggered behind, occasionally calling out directions. “Turn left, Kagome, Sango. Now turn right, and you should see a giant brick building with green and gold ivy, then make another right and cross the street, then…” And so the directions went. As the girls ran, Sango suddenly thought How does that girl do this to me? Since when did I laugh, and run in the streets? And yet, somehow, I feel a connection with her. She makes me feel happy. How does she do this to me?
 
RoS: I would love it if you gave me two reviews, this time. *assumes begging position* Please! Meaningful reviews, not just “update soon” reviews. Those annoy me, lots.