InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ LOVE LETTER ❯ Beneath The Starlit Moon... ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

LOVE LETTER

By: Youkai Yume

Yume: OKAY! Finally, the last part of the supposed one-shot! I am sorry for those of you who read it when parts 1 and 2 were switched. I have fixed them now, and it will make sense.

CF: {giggling} That bridge is going to be crowded! {counts fingers} Let's see, Miroku, Sango, Koga, and now Sesshomaru?!

Yume: Yes, and haven't you noticed, that the only one who doesn't know about the letter is KAGOME?

CF: And it's HERS, too! Read! Read! Read!

Disclaimer: It's New Year's eve. . .don't ruin it for me. . .

Part Three: Beneath the Starlit Moon. . .

Koga bounced up and down on the balls of his feet, gazing up at the somewhat clear sky. The river beneath the bridge that he was standing on was frozen over with a thin sheen of ice. Taking yet another impatient glance at his watch, which now said 8:07, he wondered if that Inu-turd ever gave Kagome the letter in the first place, or is he just wasting his time?

"Kagome, where are you?" He muttered. Just then, he heard approaching footsteps in the distance, and his heart raced with anticipation. `Is it her? Did she come?' But he was filled with disappointment when he shadow of a familiar male came into view, and he recognized it to be the school lecher, Miroku.

`Aw crap, I can't have him seeing me here waiting like some idiot!' And quicker than lightning, he had run off the bridge and jumped into a nearby bush to wait until Miroku passed by. To his surprise, he did not leave, but instead stood there as if HE was waiting for someone. . .here on the bridge of Shoji park.

~ @ ~

He ran his somewhat numb fingers through his tied back black hair, silently chiding himself for not wearing any gloves on such a cold night. Shoving his hands into his coat pockets, he waited patiently for this "mystery" woman. A slight smile curved his lips when he thought of his most likely suspect. . .Sango.

`Speak of the devil,' Miroku turned his head slightly when he heard light footsteps walk among the bridge. Taking a deep breath, he looked up, and all the breath left him. He was expecting her, but he still wasn't quite ready for it. Sango still looked more beautiful than he ever thought her to be.

"Sango. . ." He called out softly. She looked just as shocked as he was, but quickly looked away, sadness clouded her eyes.

"So, you DID come" He looked at her quizzically. He wasn't entirely sure that she was the one, so he just had to ask.

"What are you doing here?" He prodded gently, and he saw her cheeks become tainted a pretty pink. She placed one of her hands on the railing next to his own.

"I. . .had to see. . ." Sango started in an almost whisper. Miroku looked at her, trying to decipher her cryptic answer. `Had to see what?' Finally she lifted her gaze to meet his, soft brown orbs met in the chilling night, and Miroku focused on her lips as she spoke.

"That letter. . ."

`This is it!'

". . .Who gave it to you?

`. . .?!' Miroku stood in total shock, eyes widening as he stared at the girl before him. Could he have heard right? Does this mean she wasn't his secret admirer? But then. . .why was she here?

"What? Didn't YOU send me the letter?" Sango shifted nervously in place once more, a look of guilt crept upon her face.

"No," She admitted, "I found it on the floor when you dropped it earlier today. . ." She looked at him, a serious gaze met his confused one. "I just came to see who DID give you the letter." Miroku sighed, and scratched his head thoughtfully, then a wide smirk adorned his face shortly after.

"Sango, are you JEALOUS?!" At the words, she blushed a deep shade of red and glared at him.

"No!" She said rather quickly, causing him to raise an eyebrow at her. Sango averted her gaze elsewhere, finding the frozen river beneath to be of extreme interest.

"Oh, Sango, he draped an arm around her, causing him to look at him suspiciously. "It is understandable if you feel you are competing with others for my affections, but you know," His hand rubbed up and down her arm, "All I really want is---"

"Don't even go there!" She smacked his arm off of her, and quickly paced to the other side of the bridge. He chuckled a bit. Both of them had their backs turned to each other, and Sango still could not shake the feeling of worry from her chest.

"Hey, Miroku," She said after a while. He remained silent, but she continued. "Just out of curiosity. . .who were you hoping to see?" There, she said it. And now she stood absolutely still on the bridge, biting her lip in anticipation.

"Actually. . ." She turned around, staring at his back as he looked off into the distance. "I was hoping it was. . .you, Sango." He admitted shyly, and blushing at his confession. He closed his eyes when all that met his ears were silence. He feared Sango was going to reject him. Out of all the countless girls he had ever hit on, he had never felt this way about anyone but her. . .

Miroku's eyes snapped back open immediately when he felt slender arms snake their way around his torso, and the light weight of Sango's head as she leaned on his back. He relaxed.

"Miroku. . ." She whispered, her voice full of affection and longing, and he leaned back into her embrace.

~ @ ~

In the bushes, Koga tried to contain his snicker. Here he was with front row center-seats to a scandalous event, and he was sure he could use this as later reference for blackmail. He only wished he had his camera on him---THEN it would TRULY by blackmail. . .

He noticed that Kagome was fashionably late however, but he didn't quite mind. . .as long as she showed up. Besides, this was too good to interrupt! However, Koga couldn't help but be slightly suspicious when they had mentioned a love letter.

`How come everyone's using my letter idea?' He thought with a sudden scrunch of his nose. `Can't they be a little more creative?' He was sure they were going to leave soon anyway, then he'll have the bridge and Kagome all to himself. Koga's hopes were suddenly shot down when he saw the silhouette of a silver-haired Sesshomaru approach the bridge.

~ @ ~

"Sango, I. . ." Miroku began softly, but before he could finish, both were cut from their tender moment when the sound of a smooth velvety voice sliced through the tense air. They both turned to see Sesshomaru standing at the end of the bridge.

"Oh, I did not realize I was interrupting something," Sesshomaru said stoically with a raised eyebrow and knowing smile. He tried his very hardest not to straight out laugh when both of them turned a deep shade of red, and Sango immediately let go of Miroku as if he was infected with fleas.

"S-Sesshomaru!" She stumbled. "Uh---this isn't what it looks like! We were just---I mean Miroku and I---"

"It's alright, I had come here hoping to meet up with. . .someone," His voice grew a bit more serious when he thought of Kagome's secret admirer, "but I'll just leave the two of you alone now. . ."

"NO!" Sango cried out desperately, still a nice shade of red. "hehe, um, there's no need to leave on our account! In fact, WE were just leaving, right, Miroku?" She nudged him roughly by the side and he rubbed at it sorely.

"What? Oh, yeah. . ." He grimaced, and smiled innocently as well.

"So! We'll just be leaving now, come on, Miroku!" With that, she grabbed him by the arm went off. Sesshomaru watched with slight amusement as Sango dragged a still somewhat dazed Miroku off into the darkness. `S'bout time,' he thought. `Their dense crush on each other was starting to irritate me.'

~ @ ~

Koga stared with interest as Sango and Miroku left the bridge, silently glad that at least they were gone. . .now to get rid of Sesshomaru. `Is this crowd the bridge day?!'

He certainly did not expect the stiff pretty-boy of the school to be here, and growled at how much this would damage his plans. It doesn't matter, he'd remove him one way or another.

However, he should've kept his attention on the approaching couple. When Sango and Miroku went into the safety of the shadowing trees, they did not walk past his bush like he expected.

Instead, to his horror, Sango hauled Miroku into the bush and jumped in herself. They met with muffled cries when they bumped into a disheveled Koga.

"K-Koga?" Sango's voice came out in a soft choke, and Miroku only stared dazedly, not really knowing what's going on. Koga straightened his composure.

"Hey! Get your own hiding place! This is mine!" He hissed, careful as to not direct Sesshomaru's attention over to their bush. He eyed them suspiciously. "Hey, why are you two hiding anyway?" Sango sputtered a bit, her face reddening. Miroku was looking at her as well.

"Yes, Sango. Why ARE we hiding?" He asked with interest. Although he had a good hunch why. His Sango was known to be one of the biggest busybodies in the school. She'd love to dig up dirt on anyone---and he was suspecting Sesshomaru was no exception. It was how he himself met her, finding her looming around bushes to see if the rumors about him being a rapist was true. . .

Of course it wasn't, but that was how he had met her. Now they both waited patiently for her answer.

"W-Well. . .Sesshomaru's one of our friends!" Miroku coughed behind her, and she glared at him. `Well, it's PARTLY true. . .' "And we were just wondering why he looks so worried, and why he's on the bridge!" She nodded, satisfied with her answer. Then all of a sudden, she pointed an accusing finger at Koga, who looked suddenly nervous.

"Why are YOU hiding?" She whispered angrily. A big sweatdrop appeared on Koga's brow, and he swallowed.

"I. . .I can't tell you. . ."

~ @ ~

Sesshomaru's expression grew serious once more as he closed his eyes and thought of her. `Kagome,' Miroku and Sango had confessed, well somewhat, about their feelings. He leaned slightly on the bridge's railing, his head upturned slightly to gaze at the moon. Who, he wondered, was going to confess to Kagome?

That was why he came here in the first place. He was here to meet this secret admirer and have a little `talk' with him. A low growl formed in his throat. It was a good thing his brother had not sent that message to Kagome. If he had, and this other boy was able to get to her first. . .well, there would be unnecessary bloodshed to say the least.

Sesshomaru glanced at his watch, the stupid boy was late to his own meeting himself. . .he was even more convinced that whoever he, was did not deserve Kagome. He sighed. How his chest tightened, and his heart ached when he thought of her.

The very sound of her laughter, or merely her voice was enough to make the ice prince go weak. But how he had grown to love her melodic voice so much. A slight chuckle escaped his lips. A good thing no one was around to hear it. It wasn't too long ago that the very thought of him TALKING to her was utterly heinous! Let alone fall for her, but fallen for her he had. And he knew himself to be a fool when he admitted that to himself.

Ever since his last birthday, he mused. Everyone usually ignored it, which Sesshomaru normally preferred it that way. But Kagome. . .She had arrived to school on that day and approached his desk with but a single white rose and a cheery face.

Though he had been utterly rude to her upon her sudden visit, she had bitten her lip and gave him the rose silently. He remembered, with utmost fondness, how she had not wavered under his cold glare, but instead looked him straight in the eye with those beautiful sapphire irises and whispered a simple, "Happy Birthday, Sesshomaru-sempai," and left him stunned and holding the rose.

After that, he couldn't get her out of his head. Kagome's vision forever plagued his mind, and though confused and frustrated with the new emotions that she stirred within him, Sesshomaru felt like a fool for not realizing them before.

But it did not matter now, all that mattered that it was true, and that he still craved for her. . .but alas, Sesshomaru was still just the older brother of her best friend. Despite the obvious bond that he had created with her over time, he still felt like she was holding back. Probably because of Inuyasha.

Imagine his soaring hope when he had found out of his younger brother's relationship with Kikyo! Kagome was now free for the taking. But. . .when he had found her gazing sadly at a picture of Inuyasha and herself while she was under the sakura tree, he felt guilty in finding happiness in her pain.

And so, he had remained her friend through it all. However, this did not erase how he felt about her. It was hard, Sesshomaru thought, being around her and acting strictly on a friendship basis. A simple brush of her skin would send shivers through his body, and the smallest of smiles would set his soul ablaze. Even when she talked he found himself mesmerized with not only her voice, but the movement of her lips. Too long he had wondered how they tasted, but having never found out.

Well, he'd be damned before someone else got to find out before he did!

Speaking of which, Sesshomaru was growing impatient waiting for this secret admirer of Kagome's, and figured the stupid boy forgot about Kagome. He would've probably left the poor girl standing on the bridge until midnight if she had actually gotten the letter. It did not matter, he'd find out who the suspect was sooner and later, and when he did, he'd make sure the bastard would get nicely acquainted with his fist.

His silver hair flowed behind him as he turned heel to leave. But before he stepped foot off of the bridge, the sound of snow crunching from behind grew louder. He turned around, and a shadowed figure approached. He inwardly smirked. `So, he decided to show afterall. . ."

But a closer look at the figure proved him to be wrong. It was Kagome. . .and she was crying. . .

~ @ ~

She had been wandering for some time now, stopping by all of the places that she had hung out with her friends. The memories would bring tears to her eyes. . .and that's all this was. Memories. All the memories that Kagome had created here in Tokyo. . .the laughter that still rung in her ears when she was with her friends. . .the faces that she had met. . .would they remain here?

Kagome tugged the collar of her jacket closer to herself as the winter breeze blew swiftly past. She knew she shouldn't have blamed her mother for her misery. It wasn't her fault. . .she was just trying to make a living, trying to take care of her and her brother. They had moved plenty of times before, and it was always before she had gotten attached to one place for too long.

You'd figure she'd be used to it by now. . .being by herself that is. But, when she came here, when her mother said she finally got a secure job, things changed. Before she knew it, she had made a place for herself in this community. Friends that she had never thought possible to have were with her, and she had never felt happier in her life. Because. . .she finally belonged somewhere.

`I guess I should be blaming myself. . .' Kagome thought bitterly. Afterall, this would hurt less if she hadn't gotten herself attached to this place, which she couldn't think of calling anything else but home. The tears stung at her eyes, and she shut them tight, allowing hot tears to slide down her cheeks.

`Sango. . .Miroku. . .Inuyasha. . .' Their names resounded in her head with a familiar ache. But none hurt more than the one that cam next. `Sesshomaru. . .' It was strange how her heart tore the most when it came to him. But then again, she shouldn't be surprised. The cold, arrogant, snobby senior had nestled himself dangerously close to her heart after all this time.

When she closed her eyes, it was him that she saw. When she laughed, it was always with him. And when she smiled, it was always for him. When she blushed, it was always around him. And now, when she cried, it was because she was going to be away from HIM. The tears fell one by one, and she didn't even bother to stop them.

Before she had realized it, Sesshomaru had become so much more to him than just a friend. He meant more to her than she would've ever liked to admit, and she couldn't imagine going on without him in her life anymore. Only Sesshomaru filled her with the feeling of warmth and safety. Only Sesshomaru could make her want to pull out her hair in annoyance. And only Sesshomaru could make her feel this way---complete.

But all that was going to end. . .because where she was going. . .Sesshomaru was not going to be there with her. Kagome swallowed, not even caring where her feet lead her. The thought of him hurt too much. `Would he even miss me when I'm gone?' She thought miserably. Kagome sighed, not noticing that instead of the usual crunch of snow that her feet made with each step had turned to soft clicks on wood. `Would ANYONE notice?'

But her melancholy thoughts were interrupted when she heard a velvet smooth voice laced in concern call out her name.

"Kagome?" She looked up, her sapphire eyes taking in the object of her heartbreak.

"Sesshomaru," Kagome answered, the name tasting sweet on her lips.

~ @ ~

"Kagome?!" Koga shot up out of the bushes when he saw her on the bridge. "That's my cue!" But before he could step out of the bush, two hands shot out and pulled him back in. He fell with a painful thump, and was about to scream out his anger if not for the fact that both Sango and Miroku had their hands clasped tightly over his mouth.

"Where are you going?!" Miroku hissed. Koga struggled against them, but they held him still.

"They're going to have a moment!" Sango said sternly. "It's not nice to butt into other people's business!" Miroku rolled his eyes at her, but she ignored him. Motioning for him to hold Koga tighter so he wouldn't escape, she turned her attention back to the bridge.

~ @ ~

The silence was deafening, and Sesshomaru was getting extremely anxious and at the same time worried as he watched her gaze off into the distance.

"Kagome, I didn't expect you to be out so late," He started, silently cursing Inuyasha. He must've given it to her afterall and lied to him about it. But his attention was brought back to the girl before him as she shifted uncomfortably on the spot. He peered at her, but she avoided his gaze. Her sapphire eyes shadowed by her ebony bangs.

He saw another tear streak it's way down her face, and his heart clenched.

"What's wrong?" He came closer to her, forgetting his anger for Inuyasha and the letter entirely. She finally looked up at him, blue orbs brimmed with tears.

"Sesshomaru, if I were to leave. . ." Her voice was soft and heavily laced in sadness, "Would you miss me?" He looked at her, shocked at her sudden question. He grabbed her by the shoulders and forced her to look at him.

"Kagome, what's this all about?" He asked her sternly, but she remained silent for several moments. The air was so thick with sorrow that you could slice it with a knife.

"I'm moving, Sessho-kun," Kagome finally said. The words pierced through him in hundreds of little daggers, and he felt his heart tear and his breath leave his lungs. His grip on her shoulder tightened.

"What?" He couldn't believe it, but when a droplet of her tears fell onto his hand still grasped on her shoulder, the words began to seep in.

"My mother. . ." He lifted his gaze to hers. "She got a new job in Kyoto. . .But. . ." Sesshomaru's eyes widened when he felt her launch into his arms, her fingers wrapped tightly around his shirt, and she sobbed into his chest. "But I don't want to leave!" She said through cracked sobs. "I want to stay here with all of my friends. . ." Sesshomaru felt torn inside, as his hand rubbed up and down her back comfortingly.

"I want to stay. . .here. . .with you, Sessho-kun," Kagome whispered softly. His arms wrapped around her, holding her tightly as he breathed in her floral scent. Her tears began to bleed through his shirt, but he didn't care.

"Kagome. . ." Sesshomaru tangled his fingers into her raven locks, not wanting to slacken their embrace. Something told him that if he did, then it would all end. She would slip through his fingers, and everything would fade. `I don't care who wrote the stupid letter. . .' He thought with resolution, parting slightly from her and kissing her forehead tenderly. `All that matters is she's here with me now. . .'

She looked up at him with her beautiful sapphire irises, and he couldn't resist. His lips came down to rain kisses all over her face. Her cheeks, her nose, her eyes. . .he kissed her tears away, and licked at the tearstains on her flushed cheeks. Kagome closed her eyes, letting the feel of his lips on her skin linger. `Gods, what will I do without him?'

All of a sudden, his kisses had stopped, and he pulled her tightly against his chest, his chin resting on her head.

"Yes, Kagome. I'd miss you. . .more than anything in the world. . ." Sesshomaru whispered silently to her, his voice reflecting the torn emotions inside of him. "But, I will wait for you. . ."

"Sesshomaru?" His name soft in the air. He pulled her slightly away from him just enough so that he could lift her gaze to his with a hooked finger, tracing her jaw line and her pink lips.

"I will wait, because. . .I. . .I love you, Kagome Higurashi," With that, he leaned down, closing the distance between them and claimed her lips at last. Her eyes were wide with surprise, but slid shut soon after in pure bliss of the feeling of his tender kiss.

Her lips were softer than he had imagined, and he loved how they felt against his own. His tongue crept from his mouth, and gently licked and sucked at her bottom lip. Her arms snaked around his neck, holding tightly onto him, and after a few moments of teasing the corners of her mouth with his tongue, she finally allowed him entrance.

Sesshomaru's tongue plundered her mouth hungrily, tracing over her entire mouth as if trying to memorize every detail. When their tongues met, he began to wrestle with hers, and she moaned passionately into his mouth. His hand held the back of her head, tilting her back so that he had better access.

Nothing could explain this feeling except complete bliss, and Sesshomaru spilled out his soul into making love with her sweet mouth after having these pent up emotions inside for so long.

Kagome felt like her soul was soaring, and was silently glad Sesshomaru was holding her, for if he hadn't been she was sure her knees would give way. After some time, they finally broke apart, gasping for air, and blushing in their passion.

She looked up at him with affectionate, tender eyes and smiled warmly at him. He smiled back at her, and Kagome felt happy that at least she would have someone here for her. Her hand went up to caress his face.

"Thank you, Sesshomaru," She closed her eyes, "I promise to return to you. Aishiteru, koibito," She smiled at having finally admitting that to herself. Kagome felt his breath on her neck, as he nuzzled against her, not wanting the sweet moment to end.

Nothing else mattered anymore. Everything else faded, it was just him, and the girl that he had grown to love more than life itself under the starlit moon. Tonight he would hold her, kiss her, and love her as he whispered her name over and over into her ear. He would make tonight last. . .for when morning came, the dream would end.

But tonight. . .tonight was all they had left. For the first time in his life, a single tear slipped from his golden orbs, and capturing Kagome's lips once more, he felt like had loved her a lifetime.

~ @ ~

In the bushes, an emotional Sango wiped a tear from her eye, and Miroku was almost there himself.

"Kawaii. . .too bad it's over before they actually get to begin. . ." She said sadly. And in the background, a tied up Koga had tears streaming down his face as well, not from the moment, but from his situation. `Why Me?'

~FIN

Yume: ACK! {runs for cover from angry readers and their flying fruit} DON'T HATE ME!

CF: CF told Yume-sama that was a bad place to end a story. . .{picks up an apple and bites into it} But. . .{breaks down crying} CF wanted them to live happily ever after! {bawls}

Yume: I'm sorry, and I'm sure you all feel the same way too. If you want me to continue this story, please tell me, and even better would be suggestions for it too!

CF: So sad! But there was a moonlight confession, but not from Koga! That's funny.

Yume: hehe, thanks to all who supported me! I had a lot of fun writing this! Please review, and no flames!

Review Responses:

~Fanfiction.net

MoonlightPrincess; Stardreamer090; Defafaeth Mechqua; MoonGoddess-Selene; animeactionfan; HellzAznGrl; Tsuki Yume; Thesta; Woody; KawaiiLil-InuGurl; DarkAnimeChick; ^.^; Fluffy's Babe; forest dweller; Shadow39; Eisei Pika-ki; PeachesDani; InuMaru-Rapture; THANKS FOR ALL OF THE SUPPORT!

Deadly Tears: Thanks so much for the support, I thought having the letter being read all around was a good touch! Inulover626;

Helen: Thanks! I always thought that their relationship was misunderstood, and that Inuyasha cared somewhat!

DarkPyroPlanet: I always love hearing from you! I might do a follow-up, but depends on if CF gives me any ideas. CF: What? Give us muses a break! We have lives too ya know! Yo! Emera! Mai homegurl! Wazzup?! CF wishes to share the love---Yume: whatever, thanks for the review, and if you have any ideas tell me!

Reine Keri: yup, that bridge was occupied! So was that bush! Lolz.

Blue-Saiyan Angel: Yeah, I fixed the problem. And thanks for the suggestion on AFF.NET!

Kiwi93089: Yes, I know! I fixed it! Really? Geta looks funny in DBZ Playstation 2? I wanna see! Lolz.

Paige50: Thanks, I think Inuyasha is a lot more mature in my fic!

~Mediaminer.org

trihn; Fenikkusu Ice;

Striking Falcon: I don't know, after reading this chapter, what do you think would be a good follow-up? Oh, and CF grudgingly gives up her New Years wine to you. Lolz!

Storm AZ: lolz, maybe Koga should've reserved the bridge, ne?

Rosie13: Oh! {staggers, clutching heart} You hit me right on target!

END NOTE!

Yume: Okay, New Years Eve! And I'm in a good mood!

CF: CF isn't!

Yume: Hushies! Please excuse her, she's just bitter because we took away her alcohol.

CF: Must CF be deprived of New Years mirth?!

Yume: lolz, anyways, please review, and no flames. Suggestions for a continuation will be greatly appreciated! Hope you had fun with this fic! I know I did!

Ja Ne! ^_~ OR IS IT? {dun dun DUN!}