InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ Progress ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change

A/N: I really would like some feedback on the interaction between Kagome and InuYasha in this chapter and also what you thought of Sesshomaru. He is so hard to write.
________________________________________________________________ _____


To say that Kagome had been having a difficult time with InuYasha for the last week would be an understatement. While in the past he had been temperamental and rude a good deal of the time, it was nothing compared to his current state.

She knew it must be beyond difficult for him to have been thrust into a life in a time he couldn’t remember and knew nothing about - without being able to escape from it as before - but she couldn’t help but feel that he was making it worse than it had to be.

Since that first night, he hadn’t returned to the house. He stayed out in the gardens and barely acknowledged her when she brought him food. She refused to make things worse by letting him see how much his actions were upsetting her. She was sure that with time he would come around, but it didn’t keep her from hurting.

Kagome carried the bowl of ramen she had made for InuYasha’s lunch out into the gardens. She found him in the same tree he had occupied for the last six days.

“I brought you some ramen.” she called, but he didn’t respond. “Well, I’ll just leave it here, and remember you don’t have to stay out here all the time. You do have friends who want to see you.”

Kagome turned and walked away, and after a few paces, she started to run. Once she was concealed by the tress and bushes along the path she dropped to her knees and started to cry softly.


InuYasha knew he was being a jerk. There was no doubt in his mind that he was hurting Kagome, but still, she came everyday with barely contained sadness in her voice and brought him food. She always tried to talk to him and he ignored her.

Two days ago Miroku had come and tried to talk to him; tried to convince him to come to the house for Kagome’s sake. He had said that she was always crying, but he hadn’t believed him. She was sad, sure, but she had never cried when bringing him food.

InuYasha watched Kagome take a few steps back toward the house and then closed his eyes. He was thinking about how the air here was so strong that he hadn’t been able to smell her coming until she was close enough to see when the branch he was on fell out from under him. He landed on his back hard as he hit the ground.

“Get up, foolish whelp,” Sesshomaru said from above him.

“What the fuck, you bastard?” InuYasha growled.

“Why do I find you sitting in a tree while your mate cries?” He asked.

“What?” InuYasha questioned. “She ain’t been crying when I’ve seen her.”

“Of course not, baka,” Sesshomaru said in a decidedly disgusted tone. “She would not show you her pain. She wishes to be your strength since you are too busy feeling sorry for yourself to be strong for her. Do you not hear her now as she sits only a short distance down the path crying quietly, so as not to burden you or her friends with her pain?”

InuYasha turned his ears in the direction Sesshomaru indicated and listen closely. Sure enough, he heard her soft sobs.

“I didn’t think-” InuYasha started.

“That has always been your problem,” Sesshomaru interrupted. “You have never stopped to think about how your actions affect others. You have a mate now and cannot afford to continue to only think of yourself. “ Sesshomaru turned to leave. “I trust, InuYasha, that I will not need to repeat myself concerning this matter.”

InuYasha didn’t miss the veiled threat in Sesshomaru’s tone. What was worse was that he knew his brother was right. Even if he couldn’t remember it, Kagome was his mate and his responsibility, but more than that, as much as he couldn’t admit it, he loved her. He was supposed to be strong for her, not the other way around.

When he focused his attentions again, he noticed that Kagome had stopped crying and was walking away. He knew he needed to go in and face her, but first he needed to gather his courage.

He looked for his ramen only to find that it had been knocked over by the branch Sesshomaru had cut out from under him.

Bastard. Who does he think he is, knocking me out of the tree like that…

Don’t kid yourself, baka, he went easy on you.

Keh…
InuYasha found another tree to sit in and jumped up into its branches.

You really are being an ass you know that right.

Keh…

You knew Kagome would try to keep you from knowing how upset she was.

Keh…

Things could be worse, you could be alone again.

Shut up! I get it, all right? I’m a total bastard…

It’s not like you aren’t happy to know she loves you, and you love her so what’s the problem.

The problem is I’m a fucking coward…
InuYasha shook his head. I ain’t no coward. I’ll wait until the monk and Sango go to bed, and then I’ll go talk to her.

*****

Several hours later, Kagome came out once again with a bowl of ramen for him. He watched her approach and jumped out of the tree to meet her, and she smiled weakly at him. He let himself notice for the first time how tired she looked, wondering if she had been sleeping.

“Here,” she said softly, not meeting his eyes.

He took the bowl from her, muttering, “Thanks, wench.”


She looked up at him, managing her first true smile in almost a week. His small utterance wasn’t much but it was a start, a sign that he was coming around.

“Your welcome,” she replied. “I guess I should get back inside. Sango and Miroku will be waiting for me to get back before they start dinner. Goodnight, InuYasha.”

Kagome turned and walked away.

InuYasha listened closely for as long as he could and to his relief she didn’t stop on the way back to cry. He ate the ramen she brought him quicker than usual since he was hungry from missing his midday meal. He returned to his tree to wait for nightfall.

*****

InuYasha crept into the house as silently as possible and was relieved to find the main rooms of the house empty. He carefully opened the door to the room he shared with Kagome and went inside. The scent of her tears permeated the air in the room and a wave a guilt washed over him.


Kagome didn’t hear him come in, but she felt him as he entered their room. She knew it would be useless to pretend she hadn’t been crying, but she wiped her face anyway. She felt the bed move as he sat down behind her. She didn’t move as she felt the familiar heat of his body against her as he lay down and his arm wrapped around her waist.

“Kagome…” he started. “Are you… Is this all right?”

She didn’t trust herself to speak so she only nodded. If felt so good to have his arms around her again. She wasn’t even conscious of the fact the she was gripping his arm tightly in her hand, unwilling to let him go.

“Relax, wench, and get some sleep,” he said gently. “I ain’t going anywhere.”

Her grip relaxed some, but she didn’t let go completely.

*****

InuYasha woke up, almost certain that he was dreaming. He breathed deeply and was overwhelmed by Kagome’s scent combined with his own. Opening his eyes, he found her in his arms, the mark on her neck exposed to him. He leaned closer and his breath brushed across the skin of her neck.

Kagome moaned softly and began to stir from her sleep. She turned in his arms and snuggled further into his embrace.

“Mmm… Inu.” she sighed. She raised one hand up and began to rub his ear.

InuYasha wasn’t sure what to do. Kagome obviously wasn’t completely awake yet. She continued rubbing his ear and it was making it hard for him to think.


Kagome came awake slowly and realized that last night hadn’t been a dream after all. InuYasha had come to her and was holding her still as she rubbed his ear. She glanced up at his face and saw a look of surprise and something else she couldn’t quite place. She quickly pulled her hand away.

“Sorry,” she mumbled.


InuYasha didn’t like seeing her so unsure if herself, so embarrassed.

“Oi, wench, why’d you stop?” He asked. “It was just starting to feel good.”

“You… I mean… You didn’t mind that I was doing that?” she questioned.

“Didn’t tell you to stop, did I?” he replied. “Kagome, I-”

Just as he was about to try and talk to her about his feelings for her, their door opened and Sango stepped inside. He immediately pulled his arm from around her and he felt his face heating.

“Kagome I…” Sango began. Then her eyes fell on the bed. “Oh… Oh, I’m sorry… I didn’t think… I’ll go.” Sango hurriedly left the room shutting the door behind her.


Kagome sat up beside him. She could tell he was upset about the interruption.

“Are you hungry?” she asked. “I’ll make you some ramen if you want.”

“Kagome, would you show me how to do it myself?” he replied.

She smiled at him. “Of course I will,” she told him. “Just let me get dressed and then I’ll show you. If you want to change clothes, yours are in the dresser.”

Kagome went into the closet and dressed. When she came out she wasn’t surprised to find that InuYasha had selected a red T-shirt and a pair of gray sweatpants. She didn’t know what had happened to get him to come around, but she was grateful for it. He was back to the InuYasha she knew and loved; the one who would do what he had to no matter how difficult it was for him.

She led the way into the living room where Sango and Miroku were waiting.

“Hey,” Kagome offered in greeting. “Sango, what did you need earlier?”

“I was going to tell you that Miroku and I are going out on a job for Sesshomaru,” she said. “He may have gotten a lead on this demon and he wants us to check it out.”

“Oh. Well, just be careful,” Kagome said.

“We will,” Miroku replied. “I’m not about to let Sango be injured again.”

Sango and Miroku left, and Kagome noticed the guilty expression on InuYasha’s face.

“It’s not your fault, you know,” she told him. “None of us sensed the demons until it was too late. Now, I believe you wanted to make ramen?”

Kagome pulled out a pot and a few packages of the instant soup. She showed him how to light the stove and then how to work the microwave. Then she sat back and let him do the work himself. She knew he wouldn’t appreciate her hovering over him and directing his every move, and that he would probably get mad if she did. She knew he was a lot smarter than he let on, and he proved her right. She never had to explain anything more than once.


InuYasha couldn’t express his gratitude, but he did appreciate what Kagome was doing for him. She didn’t make him feel stupid for not knowing what something was or how it worked. She also let him figure some things out on his own without comment. More
than before, he felt badly about how he had treated her over the last week. He vowed to himself to make it up to her.

*****

Kagome and InuYasha were both seated on the couch watching television when Miroku and Sango returned. Kagome had her head resting on InuYasha’s shoulder and she was explaining things they were seeing quietly enough that Miroku and Sango couldn’t make out her words.

Kagome noticed InuYasha stiffen and she raised her head. She looked back and noticed they had returned.

“There’s leftovers in the fridge if you guys are hungry,” Kagome said. “So, how’d it go?”

“Sesshomaru had us pay a visit to a youkai research lab, that could be the one where...” Sango trailed off not sure how to continue. She didn‘t think mentioning Kikyou in front of
InuYasha as he was would be a good idea. “…Where an informant said her connection met this nameless demon. We were supposed to be granted full access, but when we got there, we were informed that certain areas were under construction and not open to anyone.”

“Sounds like bullshit to me,” InuYasha interjected. InuYasha didn’t need to remember anything else to know deception when he heard it.

“I am inclined to agree,” Miroku added. “Especially since I sensed some very unusual youki coming from the areas that were not supposed to be in use. It is my suspicion that there may be some illegal experimentation going on. It could be that this demon we seek was used in an experiment and escaped. It would explain his hate for humans.”

“Sesshomaru is trying to find out if an accident that occurred several months ago was really an accident or perhaps was the night this demon escaped,” Sango added.

“Well, at least we’re starting to make some progress,” Kagome said at last. She got up from the sofa and headed into the kitchen. “So, do you want me to heat up some food for you both? It’s chicken and vegetable stir fry over rice.”

“You don’t have to do that,” Sango replied.

“I know, but I don’t mind,” she told them. Both Miroku and Sango then nodded their consent and Kagome reheated the food on the stove.

“That certainly smells delicious,” Miroku said as Kagome set down a pair of plates on the table in front of him and Sango. They both started to eat. “Kagome, this is wonderful. Why don’t you cook more often?”

“Because I’m not the one who made it,” Kagome replied. “You’ve both had my cooking, and it isn’t this good.”

“Surely you don’t mean InuYasha cooked this?” Sango asked. They heard a snort from the living room.

“InuYasha, why did you always insist on ramen when you were capable of preparing a meal like this all along?” Miroku asked.

“Keh. I like ramen,” he replied. “And I ain’t getting conned into cooking all the time - that’s why I never did it before.”

With that, he got up and went to his room and closed the door. Kagome rolled her eyes.

“What was InuYasha cooking for?” Sango asked.

“He was practicing,” Kagome replied. “He’s finally decided to accept the situation and to try and learn to fit in here. I should probably go make sure he isn’t too upset. Goodnight.”


Kagome got up from the table and went to the room she shared with InuYasha.

He was sitting against the headboard watching television. She joined him and leaned her head against his shoulder, smiling when his arm slipped around her.


InuYasha continued to watch long after Kagome fell asleep. Eventually, he moved her so that she was lying beside him and put his arm around her as he had the previous night, so that he might again wake with her snuggled deeply against him. He let her soothing scent lull him to sleep.

*****

Kagome was pleased to wake in InuYasha’s arms. She didn’t move or opened her eyes, but his keen awareness of her gave her away.

“I know you’re awake, wench,” he said.

Kagome frowned before sitting up and facing him. She had hoped to stay as she was a little longer.

“Last night I had an idea. I want to take you somewhere I think you’ll like,” she said.

“Where?” he asked.

“I was kind of hoping it could be a surprise,” she told him. “I really think that you’ll enjoy it.”

InuYasha took one look at her pleading gaze and knew he was going to give in. “Keh, this better be good, wench.”

She smiled. “Okay. You can shower first while I call and get us a car, and then I’ll get ready and we can go.”

Kagome called Sesshomaru and asked him for a car that she could drive for the day, and she went to select her clothes. She stepped out of the closet when InuYasha called her name. Without thinking, she opened the bathroom door and stepped inside. Her breath caught in her throat as he stood before her dripping wet - wearing only a towel around his waist - and absolutely glorious.

She stood transfixed, taking him in. The way the drops of water rolled down the smooth skin of his chest, had her wanting nothing more than to go to him and use her tongue to collect the moisture. They taunted her. At last, she managed to avert her eyes.


InuYasha jumped as the door opened and Kagome came in. At first he was thankful that she hadn’t seemed to notice. Then he saw the way she was looking at him and her sweet scent became tinged with desire. He almost sighed with relief when she looked away.


“I’m… I didn’t… What did you need?” she finally managed to say. Her voice was thick.

Get a grip you went 20 years without sex. It’s barely been over a week and here you are, drooling over him in a towel like some kind of hentai.

“Um…I wanted to know what I should wear,” he said, turning away from her a bit to hide the growing problem the change in her scent had caused.

“Oh,” she chirped in a falsely cheerful voice. “I’ll bring you something.”

Kagome left the bathroom and slapped her forehead. Baka, baka, baka. Kagome pulled out a pair of jeans and a red shirt along with some boxers, and when she returned, she thrust them into his chest without looking at him.

“Here you go. Just put those on. I won’t be long.” She grabbed the clothes she had chosen for herself and went into the bathroom shutting the door.

Kagome rested her forehead against the tiled wall of the shower. She let the cool water run down her back. Kami, he looked so good. She sighed. Kagome hurried her shower, ready to get out of the bathroom that only served as a reminder of just how amazing InuYasha looked half naked and wet. She got out, pulled up her hair and dressed.

When she stepped out, InuYasha was waiting for her. Damn it. Do all his clothes have to look so good on him? He is going to be the death of me. Kagome groaned inwardly but put on a smile.

“Let’s go,” she said.

*****

They started their drive and Kagome noticed how tense InuYasha looked.

“Maybe later today I can teach you how to drive,” she offered. “I bet you’d feel better about driving if you were the one in control.”

InuYasha just nodded.

*****

Kagome pulled the car into a gravel lot and turned of the ignition. “We’re here.” she announced.

“’Bout damn time,” InuYasha blurted out. He regretted it immediately when he saw Kagome’s smile falter.

“You can leave your shoes in the car if you like,” she said quietly. She waited for him to toss the hated shoes into the car before she locked it. “It’s this way.”

InuYasha followed her walking a step behind trying to think of some way to let her know he was sorry, but found he didn’t have to. She slowed a little, and when he was beside her, she took his hand and he looked around to see if anyone was watching them. When he saw no one, he squeezed her hand back. He wondered where they could possibly be going.

Suddenly she stopped. “Is anyone around?” she asked.

He scanned the area quickly with his senses and shook his head. She pulled him off the trail they had been following and into the trees.

“We’re here.”

“Where?” he asked.

“You brought me here once,” she told him. “You said that this is where you liked to come to escape the confines of the city.” She looked down and blushed. “You took me for a ride on your back. I thought you might like it here.”

“Well, wench, you going to get on or not?” he asked.

She smiled brightly at him.

He hadn’t anticipated her to be so happy with his simple gesture, but he was pleased none the less. She climbed on his back and he ran. This was something he could do, something entirely familiar and exhilarating at the same time. It was the first time in a week that he felt at home, and Kagome had given that to him.

*****

After a while, he stopped and let her off his back. Kagome looked around and noticed that he had stopped in exactly the same place as the last time he brought her here. She was sure that it was more than coincidence. It proved to her that the other InuYasha was still somewhere inside him. With that realization, she looked up at him and smiled. It was only then that she noticed how he was looking at her.

His eyes were bright with unspoken emotions. His attention was focused completely on her as he took a step closer, closing the distance between them. She didn’t draw breath as his hand came up to cup the side of her face. He was so close, but not close enough. She heard herself whine softly and raised herself up slightly onto her toes, trying to show him she desperately wanted him to kiss her.

It seemed to be all the encouragement he needed. He lowered his lips to hers and kissed her gently. She knew he wouldn’t do anything more if she didn’t take the initiative. She brushed her tongue against his closed lips and he parted them, feeling his arm come around her waist as their kiss deepened. Her heart was racing. She felt the same as she did when he had kissed her for the very first time. The world around them ceased to exist.


While InuYasha was still able to think, he wondered why he had waited so long to allow himself to taste the soft lips of his beloved, to get lost in the sweet essence of his Kagome’s tender kiss. If her lips tasted this good, he could only imagine how the rest or her might taste.

When at last she stepped away, InuYasha noted with some measure of pride that she was panting lightly.

“Let’s go, wench,” He said. “I need to burn off some more energy.”

He offered her his back, and they were off once again.

*****

The sun was setting by the time they finally returned to the car.

“I guess we’ll work on driving tomorrow,” Kagome said as they got in. She started the car and they began their long drive back into the city.

“Kagome, we can come back here, right?” InuYasha asked.

“Of course,” she replied.

“Kagome, today…” he started. “Today was…” He growled. He knew what he wanted to say, but it just wouldn’t come out. “I… fuck.”

“It’s all right,” she said gently. “It felt right to me, too.”

*****

Kagome was practically starving as they reached the city. She turned to InuYasha to ask him if he was hungry only to notice that he looked a little ill. He had his eyes closed.

“Are you all right?” she asked, but he didn’t respond. “Is it the lights?”

He nodded.

Kagome opened the window to let some air in and she saw him relax a bit. “Is that better?”

His reply was another nod.

“Don’t worry; it will just take some getting used to.” She reached between the seats and gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

*****

InuYasha practically jumped out of the car when they arrived at the house. Once he was back on his feet he felt much better, and by the time they reached the door he was hungry. They each fixed themselves something to eat.

“I wonder where the monk and Sango are?” InuYasha said between slurped bites of his ramen.

Kagome got up and went to the kitchen. In her haste to eat, she had missed the note on the side of the refrigerator.

“This says they went on a job for Sesshomaru and that they won’t be back until late,” she told him.

Kagome returned to the table and finished her meal. She yawned as she carried her plate to the sink.

“What are you so tired for, wench?” he asked. “I’m the one who did all the work today carrying you.”

“I’ll have you know driving long distances can be very tiring, especially if you don’t drive that often,” she replied. Kagome took his now empty bowl from in front of him and placed it in the sink as well. “I’m going to go to bed. Goodnight, InuYasha.”

Once she was in their room, InuYasha got up and put the dishes from the sink in the dishwasher. When he was sure he had given her enough time to get into bed, he entered their room. He found a pair of the more comfortable pants Kagome had told her were called sweatpants, and went to the bathroom and changed. He joined her in bed.

She raised herself onto one elbow and looked at him.

“InuYasha, I was wondering…” she said softly. “Would you … Could I kiss you goodnight?”

“Stupid wench,” he said with a shake of his head. “Thinks she has to ask.”


Kagome’s jaw dropped slightly. She hadn’t expected him to be so willing.

InuYasha took the opportunity and moved in to kiss her. Kagome responded as soon as she felt his lips against her own. Her hands, against his chest, clenched into fists gripping his shirt tightly. After a moment he pulled back and Kagome looked into his bright amber eyes.

She sighed. “You know how much I love you, right?”

InuYasha wasn’t sure what to say, so he said nothing. She ran a hand down his chest.

“I love you, InuYasha.” The entire time their eyes had remained locked. “I want us to be together always. Do you want that too?”


InuYasha swallowed hard. He gave a small nod. He felt like he should say something, but his throat felt clogged and his mouth was dry. Kagome’s gaze was so intense, so penetrating, and he could clearly see her love for him displayed within. He hoped she could see the same from him, since he couldn’t seem to make himself speak.


Kagome smiled, content for now to know that he wanted to be with her always. She brushed her lips lightly over his.

“Goodnight, InuYasha,” she whispered. She rolled over, pulling arm across her as she did so.


InuYasha pulled her more tightly against his chest and heard her sigh contentedly. He was actually quite proud of himself for not messing things up by running his mouth. For once, he seemed to have conveyed the right message to Kagome about his feelings for her. He buried his face in her hair and let its soothing scent carry him to sleep.