InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ Kousotsu ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change

A/N: This chapter is a little shorter than most since I didn't want to split up the next two sections. The next chapter will finally give Miroku and Sango their moment and there will also be a little InuYasha Kagome fluff if all goes as planned. Also I was in a hentai mood the other day and wrote most of the chapter where Inu and Kags get back together and wow and I apologize in advance to the non hentai readers because it is almost all citrus. I don't know how I am going to post it on fan fiction(dot)net because it will probably only be like 1000 words. I also don't know exactly how long it will be before it come time to post that chapter either. Let me know if you want it soon or if you want it later.

Here are the name translations for this chapter

Taiteki - great enemy
Kousotsu - armored warrior
Kouhei - armed warrior
Yurimei - dark Lily
Hyouken - fierceness
Jinsoku - swift
_________________________________________________________________ ____

**

It was dark. The only light came from a small crack under the door but he wasn't afraid. He watched the door. It was almost time. Soon the door would open. He pulled the covers over his head when he heard footsteps. He tried not to giggle when the door opened.

“Oh no! Where is my, Kousotsu?” A laughing female voice called. “I hope he has not gone. What will I do without him to protect me?”

He popped out from under the covers. “Here I am, Mama.”

“Ahh!” yelled the woman in mock fright. “You scared me, my little warrior.”

She was tall with long black hair and sparkling green eyes. Even as she smiled, he could see the sadness in them.

“Are you ready for me to tuck you in?”

He nodded happily. “Please, Mama, will you tell me a story about you and Papa?”


“Of course,” she replied. She pulled the blankets up to his chin and tucked them around him. “It was raining when I first saw your papa. He was tall, and I could sense the power of his youki as it flared at my approach. Something about him called to me. When he raised his gaze to meet mine, I knew then that we belonged together. He was a powerful youkai and an honorable man, and he loved you very much.”

“How did Papa die?” he asked.

His mother stroked the hair back off his forehead. “You papa worked for the Inu no Taishou who ruled over all the demons in the West. The great dog general had many enemies because he took a human mate and had a son, who is close to your age. It was his own mate’s people working that killed him and your father as well. They very nearly caused a war between youkai and humans, but the new Inu no Taishou, Lord Sesshomaru, stepped in and prevented it. Your papa wanted a world where youkai did not have to hide from humans, where we could all live together peacefully.
Now sleep, my son…”

He drifted off into peaceful darkness…

**

The demon once known as Kousotsu awoke, better rested than he had been since he was taken from the youkai orphanage at seventeen, only weeks shy of his eighteenth birthday, and freedom. He had not dreamed of his mother since that day, until now. He was not the same melanistic leopard youkai he had been, and no more was he the little boy who marveled at his father's dream. He no longer went by the name his parents had bestowed upon him. Nor did he go by the moniker issued him at the lab in which he was “enhanced”. No, now he was called, by the few who he allowed to address him informally, Taiteki, and it was his goal to be just that to the sons of the former Inu no Taishou.

He didn't dwell on his dream, but he did wonder what could have caused him to think of such things after all this time. It had been years since he slept without reliving his time as a captive.

*****

Kagome woke. She tried to sit up but it was impossible since InuYasha was holding her. She looked at the clock and saw that it was just after five in the morning.

If InuYasha had his memory, she would simply wake him and tell him about it, but as it was, she would need to speak to Sesshomaru to confirm that it had been more than a dream. He could tell her the circumstances of his father's death, although it wasn't a subject she was happy to have to bring up. She didn't think it would be wise to call him at this hour, even if there was a good chance that he was already awake.

She decided to try and sleep a little longer, enjoying the comfort of InuYasha's embrace.

*****

The next time Kagome stirred it was because InuYasha was nuzzling her neck, his lips resting over his mark. She wondered if he was awake.

“InuYasha?” she asked softly.


InuYasha woke at the sound of his name with the most wonderful taste on his lips. When he opened his eyes he realized that it was Kagome.

“Kagome?” he questioned in reply.


She let a soft moan escape as his breath caressed the sensitive skin of her neck.

“MMM…Good morning, InuYasha,” she said.

Kagome sat up and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as she climbed out of bed, not wanting to give him a chance to be embarrassed. She wanted to make it clear that any physical affection he wanted to show her would be welcomed. She had been hoping that he was awake and aware of his actions, but the blush staining his cheeks told her otherwise.

*****

She came out of the bathroom and found him sitting on the edge of the bed. She sighed, not looking forward to the conversation they were about to have.

“InuYasha, I have to go talk to Sesshomaru today,” she said casually.

“What the hell do you need to talk to that bastard for?” he growled.

“I had a dream last night and only he can tell me if it means something,” she replied. “You don't have to come with me.”

“Like hell I'm letting you go see him without me,” InuYasha told her, crossing his arms.

*****

Sesshomaru was sitting at his desk. He did not look up when his brother came in with his mate, and noticed that the miko was first to sit, followed with her urging, by his brother. He could hear the faint growl from InuYasha and ignored it, but noticed that when the miko took his brother's hand, the growling ceased. A blush adorned InuYasha's cheeks but he didn't pull away.

Sesshomaru looked up at last and saw InuYasha raise his head, set his jaw, and glare defiantly as if daring him to say something. Sesshomaru resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

“You had something you wished to discuss with this Sesshomaru,” he stated, addressing Kagome.

“Yes, I had a dream last night and you are the only one who can tell me if it has any
significance, ‘though I am afraid what I have to ask you is likely to cause some unpleasantness,” Kagome replied.

“Ask what you must,” he told her.

“I need to know if there was another youkai with your father the night he was murdered, and I need to know who killed him.”

For a brief second a flicker of emotion crossed Sesshomaru's gaze, then it was gone.

“There was another youkai with my father that night. He was a leopard youkai called Hyouken Kouhei, and they were murdered by a large group of men led by a corrupt houshi and Lady Izayoi's father.”


InuYasha did not have fond memories of his grandfather. From what Sesshomaru was saying, it was obvious that the man was no different this time around, except that this time, he had killed his father instead of his mother. He felt Kagome squeeze his hand gently.

“Did he have a son close to InuYasha's age named Kousotsu?” She asked.

“Yes,” Sesshomaru replied.

“I think that the demon we are looking for is his son,” Kagome offered. “In my dream he was still a child and he was asking his mother about his father. He asked how his father died and she told him. I don't know how much help that is, but I thought I should tell you.”

“This may be more useful than it seems. Hyouken Yurimei was murdered ten years ago by a gang of men, and her son, with no living relatives, was sent to a youkai orphanage,” Sesshomaru told her. “I should be able to find out which one and find out how long he was there. Was there anything else?”

Kagome shook her head.

“That's all for now,” she told him, standing up.

“Very well,” he said. “I will inform you if anything comes of this information.”

Kagome led the way to the door just as they were leaving Sesshomaru spoke again.

“InuYasha, I am pleased to see you heeded my advise and that a repeat of our conversation will not be necessary.”

“What conversation?” Kagome asked.

InuYasha growled loudly. “Bastard.”

Kagome hurried to keep up as InuYasha headed for the front door.

Kagura stopped her as she was leaving. “Sesshomaru and I would be pleased if you and InuYasha would join us for dinner tomorrow evening at seven,” she said. “There is something we wish to tell you both.”

“We would be honored,” Kagome replied.

“I will expect you then,” Kagura said inclining her head slightly as she shut the door.

*****

Kagome didn't find InuYasha in the house, so she went to the gardens and found slashing at a tree with his claws.

“InuYasha, what's wrong?” she asked. “What was Sesshomaru talking about?”

“None of your fucking business,” he replied.

Kagome flinched at his tone and cursed the tears that sprang to her eyes.

“Oh,” she said quietly.


InuYasha regretted his harsh words as soon as they left his lips, but there was no taking them back. He regretted them more when he heard the hurt in her voice. He was mad as Sesshomaru for not keeping his mouth shut, not at her, but as always, she had been
the one he had taken it out on her. He didn't want to have to admit to her his weakness. He went to her and put his arms around her before she could leave.

“Fuck, Kagome, I didn't mean that,” he said. “It just ain't nothing for you to worry about.”

“Are you sure?” she asked. “I know how hard this must be for you and I'll do anything I can to make it easier for you.”

“You've done more than enough, wench,” he replied.

“Come with me,” she said suddenly. “I don't know why I didn't think of this before.”

She took his hand and led him back to their house and into their room. “Close your eyes and hold out your hands.”

“What for?” he asked.

“Please?”


“Fine,” InuYasha grumbled. He supposed he should be a little nicer to her to make up for earlier and she wasn't asking for much. He could hear her digging around in the closet. Then he felt something long and cool placed in his hands. No fucking way… It can't be.

“You can look now,” she said.

InuYasha opened his eyes and looked at the sword and sheath resting across his hands. He freed the blade and it transformed.

“Where did you get this?” he asked.

“Just as before, your father had it made for you from his fang,” she replied. “I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner.”

He sheathed the sword and dropped it on the bed behind him. He wrapped his arms around her.

“Keh, don't apologize,” he told her. “I can't very well expect you to remember everything, can I?”


Kagome looked up and saw him smiling and realized that he had just made a joke about this memory loss. She giggled softly.


InuYasha was pleased that he was able to make her laugh, after all the tears he had caused her lately. She deserved to be happy.

“Oh, by the way, we got invited to dinner tomorrow night,” she said. “Kagura asked me on the way out.”

“Did you tell her to fuck off?” he asked.

Kagome stepped back.

“InuYasha!” she exclaimed. “Of course I didn't. I told her we would be happy to join them.”

“I ain't going and neither are you. I've seen enough of that bastard and his
bitch to last me a good long while.”

Kagome put her hands on her hips and glared at him. It was a pose he knew too well. He said a silent thank you to the Kamis that he no longer wore the subduing rosary.

Then as if she had read his mind Kagome said, “I have the rosary, InuYasha, don't make me put it on you.”

“You could try,” he scoffed.

Kagome narrowed her eyes.

“We are going and you are going to act civilized. I know I can't expect you to be polite,” she said. “Your father asked you to give him a chance to make up for the past, and even if you can't remember, you should still try and honor his request – unless, of course, you think I was lying about that.”

Her tone all but dared him to say that he hadn't believed her.

InuYasha knew Kagome wouldn't have lied to him. He also knew that if he pressed her any more, she would find a way to put another rosary around his neck.

“Just don't expect me to be happy about it,” he said crossing his arms.

Kagome sighed but nodded.

“I am only asking you to try and see that he isn't the same as before,” she told him. “Now, how about some breakfast, and after, I'll start teaching you how to drive.”

*****

Kagome pulled the car over and turned off the engine. She switched places with InuYasha so that he was in the driver’s seat. She saw him gripping the steering wheel tightly.

“Relax, you'll do fine,” she offered gently. “Just start by doing what you remember seeing me do, but first, let's scoot the seat back a bit.”

That done, InuYasha secured the seat belt and adjusted the mirrors just as Kagome had done. He looked to her and she nodded. He turned the key and the car started. “Now what?”

“Turn on the signal,” she said and directed him to the lever. “Put your foot on the brake and put the car in drive. When there are no cars coming, take your foot off the break and ease out into the road.”

Kagome had driven them out of the city so that there would be very little traffic. She watched as he did exactly as she had instructed.

“Now the gas?” he questioned.

She nodded. “But remember: not too much pressure,” she instructed.

*****

As Kagome maneuvered the car through the city she thought about how well InuYasha had done driving, as well as his over all progress in adapting to this time. She wasn't sure she would do as well if she were in his place.

She startled when a clawed hand gripped her wrist.

“Kagome, let's go there,” he said, pointing out the window at a ramen vendor.

She sighed. “All right. I have to find somewhere to park first.”

“Make it quick, wench. I'm starving,” he told her.

Kagome rolled her eyes but refrained from commenting. She parked the car and InuYasha all but dragged her back down the block. She noticed just as before they sat down that the stand was run by a rabbit youkai. She grabbed InuYasha's arm.

“No matter what, don't act surprised,” she whispered.

Just then, the rabbit youkai came to get their order. He all but started hopping up and down when he saw them. Kagome put on a warm smile.

“Oh my!” he exclaimed. “This is an honor, Lord InuYasha. Oh, and this must be your mate. I saw you on the news. Please, my name is Jinsoku. How can I serve you? You meal, of course, will be on me.”

“What the-” InuYasha started, but stopped abruptly realizing what Kagome's warning had meant.

“Did I displease you, my Lord?” Jinsoku asked.

Kagome quickly covered. “Oh no. It's just that we prefer to be addressed less formally,” Kagome said. “There is no need to make a fuss over us.”

Kagome ordered for both herself and InuYasha, and the rabbit youkai hurried to prepare their meal.

“Sorry,” InuYasha mumbled.

“What for?” she asked.

“I almost screwed up,” he replied.

“It's not your fault,” she told him. “I should have prepared you better. Besides, no harm done.”

He nodded but she could tell he was still upset with himself. They ate quickly and left.

*****

By the time they got home, InuYasha had yet to say as much as a single word. He got out of the car. “I'll be back later.”

Kagome watched him head off for the gardens. She wished, not for the first time, that he would talk to her about what was bothering him. She knew he couldn't be that upset about almost saying something stupid when they stopped to eat. It had to be something more. She would give him some time to come back on his own. If he didn't return before dinner, she would go and find him and try to convince him to talk to her.

As it would turn out she wouldn't have to go after him. An hour later he came through the front door. Kagome figured that maybe he had just needed some time alone to think and clear his head. That, or he wanted to spend some time in a place that looked more like the time he remembered. She decided to ask him about it later to see if he would tell her.

*****

That night Kagome lay down to go to sleep. Once InuYasha was lying beside her, she spoke.

“So, what was bothering you earlier?” she asked. She didn't really expect him to tell her but at least wanted to make and effort, to remind him that she cared and would listen if he ever wanted to talk.

He sighed softly, so softly that she hadn't heard it, but instead, felt his breath on the back of her neck.

“Things are so different,” he said quietly. “Just when I think I'm getting used to this time, something else happens that makes me think I'll never fit in.”

“I'm sorry,” Kagome whispered.

“Don't be,” he told her. “You're they only thing I can count on. I don't know what I do if it weren't for you. I'd probably go fucking crazy.”

Kagome couldn't help the tears that welled up in her eyes and InuYasha smelled them.

“Oi, wench. Why are you crying?”

She wiped her cheeks. “I'm not upset,” she told him. “I'm just happy you feel that way about me. I'm sorry for crying. Goodnight, InuYasha.”

Kagome knew that InuYasha wasn't good with words. He used his actions to show what he was feeling. What he had just said to her was probably about as close to a declaration
of love as she would be getting from him for a long while, if ever. It made her happy to know that he felt he could depend on her, that she gave him at least some measure of comfort in and unfamiliar time.

*****

The next morning Miroku approached Kagome while Sango was in the shower.

“I need a favor,” he said. “Tonight, I need you to get Sango out of the house for a short while.”

“Why?” Kagome asked.

“I want to set things up for our evening together,” he replied. “I was going to ask her tonight…Unless you think I shouldn't, that she won't be as happy if I ask her here instead of taking her out somewhere.”

“It doesn't matter where,” Kagome assured him. “Only that when you do ask, you speak from your heart. I think I have an idea. Leave it to me.”

*****

InuYasha crossed his arms and scowled. “Why the hell can't I just wear this?”

“Because it won't kill you to wear something besides sweatpants and a T-shirt,” she replied. “Now put on the clothes I gave you and stop complaining.” Kagome heard InuYasha growl through the door. She shook her head. It wasn't like she was asking him to wear a suit; just some khaki pants and a red dress shirt.

When he finally came out he was wearing the pants and the shirt, but it was unbuttoned. He was blushing.

“My fucking claws keep getting in the way.”

Kagome took a deep breath and went over to him. She reached out and began buttoning the shirt. It was all she could do not to run her hands across his chest. She left the top two buttons undone and rolled the cuffs up twice so that he wouldn't feel constricted.

“There,” she said smoothing the front of his shirt with her hands.

He caught then just before she pulled them back. He held them over his heart as he leaned down and kissed her.

“Only for you, wench,” he told her. “Now let’s get this over with already.”


Sango was in the living room when they left their room. She didn't see Miroku anywhere
. It was perfect. Suddenly, Kagome gasped. “Oh no!”

“What?” Sango asked.

“I told Kagura I would bring some wine to go with dinner and I forgot,” Kagome replied. “Would be willing to run to the store and pick some up while I finish getting ready, please?”

“Of course,” Sango agreed. “What should I get?”

“Just get something you like. I'm sure it will be fine,” Kagome told her.

Sango called and had a car brought around and left. Miroku came out of their room.

“All right, Miroku, that should give you about twenty minutes. Good luck,” the miko told him.

“Thanks,” Miroku called as Kagome drug InuYasha behind her and out the door.

“What the hell was that all about?” InuYasha asked.

“Miroku is going to ask Sango to marry him tonight and he asked me to help him get her out of the house long enough for him to set up whatever he has planned,” she replied. They walked together up the path to the main house. “Remember, I don't expect you to be nice, just don't start a fight or anything.”

“Keh,” he scoffed. “I remember.”